Altis 2008 - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Automobile Forum » Altis 2008

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2008, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
happily1986 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Altis 2008

Anyone here driving the new Altis 1.6? Care to share your experience during engine run-in period. Now my car is still within the run in period as delivery was only on last thurs. Not sure if it's due to my reluctance to rev higher but i feel that car is sluggish in pickup and braking feels vague and less grippy.. A departure from my previous car which was the JDM G9 hipporolla.

Sponsors:
Add to happily1986's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
wildswans is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Altis 2008

Tot most cars are like that during run-in?

wildswans is offline   Add to wildswans's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Account Suspended
richardsng_era will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does Altis 2008 have Manual version? I like the spacious interior but used to driving manual cars.

Last edited by richardsng_era; 28th May 2008 at 10:11 AM.
richardsng_era is offline   Add to richardsng_era's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most cars will have a manual version

Old 28th May 2008, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
mrlazy is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

haven't experience 2008 altis yet leh. But the previous version one not bad.
And altis got no manual transmission.

mrlazy is offline   Add to mrlazy's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Really?

That's surprising

Old 29th May 2008, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah. Mazda 3 sp also no manual. Semi auto.

Old 29th May 2008, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlazy View Post
haven't experience 2008 altis yet leh. But the previous version one not bad.
And altis got no manual transmission.
I second that. As far as Toyota Inc. is concerned, Altis is meant as a luxury version of corolla and no manuals only automatics thus.From the onboard computer, I have been registering FC figures of ave 10.3km/l but it will take till i clock 1000km before i can see what the real world figure for Altis 2008 to be like.

Some personal comments on the Altis 2008 as compared to my older car G9 corolla:

More stable at cornering. I attribute this to the higher kerb weight, lowered height, wider tyre width which at stock is 195. Toyota also opted to do away with a multi link suspension setup at the rear which somehow makes the handling better as well.

Less zippy. The older car is more rev-willing and pick up is better as well. This one feels not as lively. I feel Toyota should have mated a powerplant with a output of at least 120bhp.

Less road noise. Better insulation and soundproofing. Also, the build quality has improved. The doors for example feels more solid and closes with a solid "pomf" rather than an anaemic "clunk" as with the previous car.

Better cabin refinement. The interior feels more luxurious without looking tacky However I loathe the use of hard plastic on the dashboard. The wheelbase has remained the same though the overall car length has increased. Together with the increase in car width which is unprecedented in Corolla development as well as with the implementation of a nearly flat floor in the rear seat floor, comfort levels in the new car has been enhanced. I don't like the new body hugging bucket seats. Cos i favour placing my wallet in my rear pocket. The seat structure just exerts pressure on my wallet which makes my rear sore. Ouch.

Steering feedback. I hate the new light steering. Totally no feedback from the electric setup. Preferred the old hydraulic steering which gives at least more feel.

Braking. The old car is more firm and no-nonsense when it comes to braking. Slight braking can elicit an incredible amount of stopping force. It baffles me when the use of ventilated disc brake for the 2008 Altis seems to result in a more spongy braking experience. Braking distance is definite longer.

Engine. I hate the rubber band effect that is evidently present. Where I should expect a smooth acceleration that is commensurate with pedal pressure, the engine seems to whimper for a while. The freeplay on the pedal seems to be quite long. Before you can expect it, the surge in power comes in taking you and the car by surprise.

happily1986 is offline   Add to happily1986's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Yongjin is a jewel in the roughYongjin is a jewel in the rough

Liked 45 Times in 40 Posts

nw adays more n more car have "manual" version liao no more manual version

gt gd gt bad la.. CVT manual is kind of easy to drive... u can have power when u wan yet dont need to half clutch... bt bad thing is u cannot have funz.... so tat y sport car still have manual with clutch

Old 29th May 2008, 09:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by happily1986 View Post
I second that. As far as Toyota Inc. is concerned, Altis is meant as a luxury version of corolla and no manuals only automatics thus.From the onboard computer, I have been registering FC figures of ave 10.3km/l but it will take till i clock 1000km before i can see what the real world figure for Altis 2008 to be like.

Some personal comments on the Altis 2008 as compared to my older car G9 corolla:

More stable at cornering. I attribute this to the higher kerb weight, lowered height, wider tyre width which at stock is 195. Toyota also opted to do away with a multi link suspension setup at the rear which somehow makes the handling better as well.

Less zippy. The older car is more rev-willing and pick up is better as well. This one feels not as lively. I feel Toyota should have mated a powerplant with a output of at least 120bhp.

Less road noise. Better insulation and soundproofing. Also, the build quality has improved. The doors for example feels more solid and closes with a solid "pomf" rather than an anaemic "clunk" as with the previous car.

Better cabin refinement. The interior feels more luxurious without looking tacky However I loathe the use of hard plastic on the dashboard. The wheelbase has remained the same though the overall car length has increased. Together with the increase in car width which is unprecedented in Corolla development as well as with the implementation of a nearly flat floor in the rear seat floor, comfort levels in the new car has been enhanced. I don't like the new body hugging bucket seats. Cos i favour placing my wallet in my rear pocket. The seat structure just exerts pressure on my wallet which makes my rear sore. Ouch.

Steering feedback. I hate the new light steering. Totally no feedback from the electric setup. Preferred the old hydraulic steering which gives at least more feel.

Braking. The old car is more firm and no-nonsense when it comes to braking. Slight braking can elicit an incredible amount of stopping force. It baffles me when the use of ventilated disc brake for the 2008 Altis seems to result in a more spongy braking experience. Braking distance is definite longer.

Engine. I hate the rubber band effect that is evidently present. Where I should expect a smooth acceleration that is commensurate with pedal pressure, the engine seems to whimper for a while. The freeplay on the pedal seems to be quite long. Before you can expect it, the surge in power comes in taking you and the car by surprise.
wow! nice. how come haven't reach ur 1st 1k the FC so high? u drive more in city?
I only did a test drive on my uncle's altis. =x

Old 30th May 2008, 11:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlazy View Post
wow! nice. how come haven't reach ur 1st 1k the FC so high? u drive more in city?
I only did a test drive on my uncle's altis. =x
I think the FC will get better and better after run-in. At delivery the FC was like 9.7km/l then after a week it became 10.4 ~10.3km/l. I a bit dun like the staggered shift, still prefer gated shift. Somemore the D and 3 is like next to each other. Got once i accidentally slotted into 3 then i was wondering how come no power

happily1986 is offline   Add to happily1986's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
gforce199 will become famous soon enough

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

ya...the pick up is not as powerful and the brake also got alot too light/too heavy..