Altis 2008 - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Automobile Forum » Altis 2008

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2008, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
happily1986 is on a distinguished road

 
happily1986's Avatar
 
Posts: 155
Join Date: Jan 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Altis 2008

Anyone here driving the new Altis 1.6? Care to share your experience during engine run-in period. Now my car is still within the run in period as delivery was only on last thurs. Not sure if it's due to my reluctance to rev higher but i feel that car is sluggish in pickup and braking feels vague and less grippy.. A departure from my previous car which was the JDM G9 hipporolla.

Sponsors:
happily1986 is offline  
Add to happily1986's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
wildswans is on a distinguished road

 
wildswans's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,802
Join Date: Jul 2007
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Altis 2008

Tot most cars are like that during run-in?

wildswans is offline   Add to wildswans's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Account Suspended
richardsng_era will become famous soon enough

 
Posts: 1,860
Join Date: Feb 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Altis 2008

Does Altis 2008 have Manual version? I like the spacious interior but used to driving manual cars.


Last edited by richardsng_era; 28th May 2008 at 10:11 AM.
richardsng_era is offline   Add to richardsng_era's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
wildswans is on a distinguished road

 
wildswans's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,802
Join Date: Jul 2007
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Altis 2008

Most cars will have a manual version

wildswans is offline   Add to wildswans's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
mrlazy is on a distinguished road

 
mrlazy's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,425
Join Date: Oct 2007
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Altis 2008

haven't experience 2008 altis yet leh. But the previous version one not bad.
And altis got no manual transmission.

mrlazy is offline   Add to mrlazy's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
wildswans is on a distinguished road

 
wildswans's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,802
Join Date: Jul 2007
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Altis 2008

Really?

That's surprising

wildswans is offline   Add to wildswans's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
mrlazy is on a distinguished road

 
mrlazy's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,425
Join Date: Oct 2007
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Altis 2008

Yeah. Mazda 3 sp also no manual. Semi auto.

mrlazy is offline   Add to mrlazy's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
happily1986 is on a distinguished road

 
happily1986's Avatar
 
Posts: 155
Join Date: Jan 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Altis 2008

Originally Posted by mrlazy View Post
haven't experience 2008 altis yet leh. But the previous version one not bad.
And altis got no manual transmission.
I second that. As far as Toyota Inc. is concerned, Altis is meant as a luxury version of corolla and no manuals only automatics thus.From the onboard computer, I have been registering FC figures of ave 10.3km/l but it will take till i clock 1000km before i can see what the real world figure for Altis 2008 to be like.

Some personal comments on the Altis 2008 as compared to my older car G9 corolla:

More stable at cornering. I attribute this to the higher kerb weight, lowered height, wider tyre width which at stock is 195. Toyota also opted to do away with a multi link suspension setup at the rear which somehow makes the handling better as well.

Less zippy. The older car is more rev-willing and pick up is better as well. This one feels not as lively. I feel Toyota should have mated a powerplant with a output of at least 120bhp.

Less road noise. Better insulation and soundproofing. Also, the build quality has improved. The doors for example feels more solid and closes with a solid "pomf" rather than an anaemic "clunk" as with the previous car.

Better cabin refinement. The interior feels more luxurious without looking tacky However I loathe the use of hard plastic on the dashboard. The wheelbase has remained the same though the overall car length has increased. Together with the increase in car width which is unprecedented in Corolla development as well as with the implementation of a nearly flat floor in the rear seat floor, comfort levels in the new car has been enhanced. I don't like the new body hugging bucket seats. Cos i favour placing my wallet in my rear pocket. The seat structure just exerts pressure on my wallet which makes my rear sore. Ouch.

Steering feedback. I hate the new light steering. Totally no feedback from the electric setup. Preferred the old hydraulic steering which gives at least more feel.

Braking. The old car is more firm and no-nonsense when it comes to braking. Slight braking can elicit an incredible amount of stopping force. It baffles me when the use of ventilated disc brake for the 2008 Altis seems to result in a more spongy braking experience. Braking distance is definite longer.

Engine. I hate the rubber band effect that is evidently present. Where I should expect a smooth acceleration that is commensurate with pedal pressure, the engine seems to whimper for a while. The freeplay on the pedal seems to be quite long. Before you can expect it, the surge in power comes in taking you and the car by surprise.

happily1986 is offline   Add to happily1986's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Yongjin is a jewel in the roughYongjin is a jewel in the rough

 
Posts: 5,108
Join Date: Dec 2004
Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 40 Posts
Gender:

Re: Altis 2008

nw adays more n more car have "manual" version liao no more manual version

gt gd gt bad la.. CVT manual is kind of easy to drive... u can have power when u wan yet dont need to half clutch... bt bad thing is u cannot have funz.... so tat y sport car still have manual with clutch

__________________
Yong Jin
Profile Updated
Yongjin is offline   Add to Yongjin's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 09:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
mrlazy is on a distinguished road

 
mrlazy's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,425
Join Date: Oct 2007
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Altis 2008

Originally Posted by happily1986 View Post
I second that. As far as Toyota Inc. is concerned, Altis is meant as a luxury version of corolla and no manuals only automatics thus.From the onboard computer, I have been registering FC figures of ave 10.3km/l but it will take till i clock 1000km before i can see what the real world figure for Altis 2008 to be like.

Some personal comments on the Altis 2008 as compared to my older car G9 corolla:

More stable at cornering. I attribute this to the higher kerb weight, lowered height, wider tyre width which at stock is 195. Toyota also opted to do away with a multi link suspension setup at the rear which somehow makes the handling better as well.

Less zippy. The older car is more rev-willing and pick up is better as well. This one feels not as lively. I feel Toyota should have mated a powerplant with a output of at least 120bhp.

Less road noise. Better insulation and soundproofing. Also, the build quality has improved. The doors for example feels more solid and closes with a solid "pomf" rather than an anaemic "clunk" as with the previous car.

Better cabin refinement. The interior feels more luxurious without looking tacky However I loathe the use of hard plastic on the dashboard. The wheelbase has remained the same though the overall car length has increased. Together with the increase in car width which is unprecedented in Corolla development as well as with the implementation of a nearly flat floor in the rear seat floor, comfort levels in the new car has been enhanced. I don't like the new body hugging bucket seats. Cos i favour placing my wallet in my rear pocket. The seat structure just exerts pressure on my wallet which makes my rear sore. Ouch.

Steering feedback. I hate the new light steering. Totally no feedback from the electric setup. Preferred the old hydraulic steering which gives at least more feel.

Braking. The old car is more firm and no-nonsense when it comes to braking. Slight braking can elicit an incredible amount of stopping force. It baffles me when the use of ventilated disc brake for the 2008 Altis seems to result in a more spongy braking experience. Braking distance is definite longer.

Engine. I hate the rubber band effect that is evidently present. Where I should expect a smooth acceleration that is commensurate with pedal pressure, the engine seems to whimper for a while. The freeplay on the pedal seems to be quite long. Before you can expect it, the surge in power comes in taking you and the car by surprise.
wow! nice. how come haven't reach ur 1st 1k the FC so high? u drive more in city?
I only did a test drive on my uncle's altis. =x

mrlazy is offline   Add to mrlazy's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 11:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
happily1986 is on a distinguished road

 
happily1986's Avatar
 
Posts: 155
Join Date: Jan 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Altis 2008

Originally Posted by mrlazy View Post
wow! nice. how come haven't reach ur 1st 1k the FC so high? u drive more in city?
I only did a test drive on my uncle's altis. =x
I think the FC will get better and better after run-in. At delivery the FC was like 9.7km/l then after a week it became 10.4 ~10.3km/l. I a bit dun like the staggered shift, still prefer gated shift. Somemore the D and 3 is like next to each other. Got once i accidentally slotted into 3 then i was wondering how come no power

happily1986 is offline   Add to happily1986's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
gforce199 will become famous soon enough

 
gforce199's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,151
Join Date: Oct 2007
Likes: 8
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Gender:

Re: Altis 2008

ya...the pick up is not as powerful and the brake also got alot too light/too heavy..

__________________
Give a hungry person a silver Coin, He feed himself for a day. He rise his standard of living...Tomorrow, he when his hungry, he came back to you and ask for a Gold Coin, BIG TOUBLE....
gforce199 is offline   Add to gforce199's Reputation Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team B.O.B Fun Bowl Event 17th May 2008.Deadline 15th May 2008 Storm Bowling Forums 79 21st May 2008 01:43 PM
DashNPaddle CCHallenge 2008! - Organised by NTU NPCC ( May 24th 2008 ) OleoCookie Outings & Events 0 22nd April 2008 09:36 AM
2008 Toyota Corolla Altis FamousAmos Automobile Forum 9 26th April 2007 03:27 PM
accessories & Mods for Altis KRurtt Automobile Forum 3 23rd March 2007 01:46 PM

» Sponsors
Watch Free Movies Online
Celebrity Gossip
Food Delivery

» Facebook Fans
» What's Going On?
Title, Username, & Date
Repost comment.
Stupid court of appeal gives red light running driver who hit pedestrian 15% discount
Mum's Kitchen Catering and Cherish Delights get licences suspended after nearly 40 people...
[PMD-pedestrian rules] Singapore Court judges are high handed and biased or court rep
Post anything random on this thread.
Ritter Sport chocolate recalled due to undeclared allergen
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
I really hate my mother!!!
Transcend RDF9K2 All-in-One Card Reader
Transcend ESD250C, a portable SSD that’s super classy
How PAP exploited racial differences to impose FASCIST rule over Singapore.
Up to S$7250 of government $ misused for buying each vote in Singapore?
Funky Fields organic vegan spreadable recalled due to 'undisclosed allergen'
100 hawksbill turtles released into the sea after rare hatching on Sentosa
Inspirational Songs
MOH, SFA investigating after 18 typhoid fever cases in 3 weeks
By militarily invading Hong Kong, Xi Jingping is setting in motion, the wheels of nuc
Deng XiaoPing original vision for HKG- China reunification was for the two to unite a
HSA warns against three products
Warning : Blacklist buyer/adopter Alert
Featured Photos
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by pdsubbu
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by Vikas Dhar
· · ·
Photography
35 photos
36 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28607 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28607 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28607 comments

 

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright© 2004-2013 SGClub.com. All rights reserved.