NUS which bio topics useful for pharmacy? - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life > Course Module Reviews » NUS: which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2015, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
New SGClubber
RaysOfHope is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jan 2015
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

Im a phy chem student taking pharm for year 2016 and was wondering what are the useful A level bio topics that would help for pharm course.Thx in advance.

Sponsors:
RaysOfHope is offline  
Add to RaysOfHope's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

 
maverick's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,115
Join Date: Jan 2005
Likes: 537
Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts
Gender:

Re: which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

Can choose your bio topics in A-levels meh? I thought it's just one standard course in JC?

__________________
*Have fun in SGClub but pls READ the RULES, Report Bad Posts and Give Reputation to Good Ones!*
SGClub Vision
maverick is offline   Add to maverick's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Matsuri will become famous soon enough

 
Posts: 670
Join Date: Sep 2014
Likes: 21
Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts
Gender:

Re: which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

Have a look at pharmacy syllabus here:http://www.pharmacy.nus.edu.sg/progr...se_AY1415.html

Personally I feel that A levels bio is more of a pre-u prep for a life science degree.

It doesnt actually have much importance in subjects like pharmacy and medicine. That said, it is definitely more relevant to pharm n med than physics.

Matsuri is offline   Add to Matsuri's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
bellandross is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 120
Join Date: Nov 2012
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Gender:

Re: which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

I am a year 2 pharm student in nus and perhaps i can answer ur question. My year is the first year where they allow ppl with no H2 bio background to enter pharmacy( H2 Bio used to be a prerequisite before my year!). Thus, there are quite a handful of non H2 bio students in my year, but they are the minority obviously. From what I have observed, they seemed to be struggling alot in the beginning in certain modules like physiology and biochemistry where there are H2 bio topics like nervous system, protein synthesis, DNA, etc. But they manage to catch up and be on par with the rest quite fast. Most of them took a mod called General Biology as an elective in the first semester to get themselves familiarise with biology.

As to your question of which A level H2 bio topics are useful, I would say almost all, except topics related to plants like photosynthesis, and also topics on evolution. The rest of the topics will be touch on again in various pharm mods. So you are recommended to borrow ur bio friend's notes to read through first if you are worried of not catching up as uni lectures are really fast pace. For example, my jc lecturer took about 2 weeks(3-4 lessons) to cover the topic on nervous system. In uni however, the entire topic was covered in just 45minutes. So the lesson was quite chill for those who took H2 Bio as it was just a revision but those non H2 bio students found it a really intensive class.

But dont worry so much as physics students have some advantage over non physics students in certain pharm mods too! Eventually, everyone will be on equal footing regardless of what subjects they took in uni as the stuff learnt in JC only consist of a really really small percentage in pharm syllabus.


Last edited by bellandross; 16th January 2015 at 09:41 PM.
bellandross is offline   Add to bellandross's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by bellandross:
maverick (21st January 2015)
Old 21st January 2015, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
bcmep has a spectacular aura about

 
Posts: 664
Join Date: Nov 2012
Likes: 37
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Gender:

Re: which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

Originally Posted by bellandross View Post
I am a year 2 pharm student in nus and perhaps i can answer ur question. My year is the first year where they allow ppl with no H2 bio background to enter pharmacy( H2 Bio used to be a prerequisite before my year!). Thus, there are quite a handful of non H2 bio students in my year, but they are the minority obviously. From what I have observed, they seemed to be struggling alot in the beginning in certain modules like physiology and biochemistry where there are H2 bio topics like nervous system, protein synthesis, DNA, etc. But they manage to catch up and be on par with the rest quite fast. Most of them took a mod called General Biology as an elective in the first semester to get themselves familiarise with biology.

As to your question of which A level H2 bio topics are useful, I would say almost all, except topics related to plants like photosynthesis, and also topics on evolution. The rest of the topics will be touch on again in various pharm mods. So you are recommended to borrow ur bio friend's notes to read through first if you are worried of not catching up as uni lectures are really fast pace. For example, my jc lecturer took about 2 weeks(3-4 lessons) to cover the topic on nervous system. In uni however, the entire topic was covered in just 45minutes. So the lesson was quite chill for those who took H2 Bio as it was just a revision but those non H2 bio students found it a really intensive class.

But dont worry so much as physics students have some advantage over non physics students in certain pharm mods too! Eventually, everyone will be on equal footing regardless of what subjects they took in uni as the stuff learnt in JC only consist of a really really small percentage in pharm syllabus.
thanks for the reply, just wondering how the timetable like? Thanks in advance =)

bcmep is offline   Add to bcmep's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
bcmep has a spectacular aura about

 
Posts: 664
Join Date: Nov 2012
Likes: 37
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Gender:

Re: which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

Originally Posted by RaysOfHope View Post
Im a phy chem student taking pharm for year 2016 and was wondering what are the useful A level bio topics that would help for pharm course.Thx in advance.
AY 2016/2017?

bcmep is offline   Add to bcmep's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
bellandross is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 120
Join Date: Nov 2012
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Gender:

Re: which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

Originally Posted by bcmep View Post
thanks for the reply, just wondering how the timetable like? Thanks in advance =)
Terrible.
Mostly 5 days week (might be possible to get 4 days week in year 1 if you are lucky and get a elective that fits nicely in your timetable)
Loads of 8am lectures, some at utown which is really bad cos you have to take the super squeezy shuttle bus.
I showed my friend in other course my timetable for this sem, she thought i overloaded(meaning that i took 6 modules instead of the usual 5) but i DIDN'T. My timetable is really that packed.
But it will get better towards the last few weeks after the lab sessions ended.

bellandross is offline   Add to bellandross's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 01:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
bcmep has a spectacular aura about

 
Posts: 664
Join Date: Nov 2012
Likes: 37
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Gender:

Re: which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

Originally Posted by bellandross View Post
Terrible.
Mostly 5 days week (might be possible to get 4 days week in year 1 if you are lucky and get a elective that fits nicely in your timetable)
Loads of 8am lectures, some at utown which is really bad cos you have to take the super squeezy shuttle bus.
I showed my friend in other course my timetable for this sem, she thought i overloaded(meaning that i took 6 modules instead of the usual 5) but i DIDN'T. My timetable is really that packed.
But it will get better towards the last few weeks after the lab sessions ended.
Thanks for the reply, but are there a lot of preparation / reading to be done at home?

bcmep is offline   Add to bcmep's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Hikaruu is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 254
Join Date: May 2009
Likes: 1
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Gender:

Re: which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

Originally Posted by RaysOfHope View Post
Im a phy chem student taking pharm for year 2016 and was wondering what are the useful A level bio topics that would help for pharm course.Thx in advance.
Well, i think an understanding of protein, carbohydrates and lipids as well as enzymes would be good. Focus more on how antibodies and compounds in medicine fit into receptors on the virus/bacteria and hence affect their ability to bind with common molecules found in the body

Hikaruu is offline   Add to Hikaruu's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
bellandross is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 120
Join Date: Nov 2012
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Gender:

Re: which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

Originally Posted by bcmep View Post
Thanks for the reply, but are there a lot of preparation / reading to be done at home?
Minimal readings to be done. Prep work depends on individual i guess...I usually dont do much at home but I am able to survive so far. As long as you pay attention during lectures you should do fine.

bellandross is offline   Add to bellandross's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 02:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
bcmep has a spectacular aura about

 
Posts: 664
Join Date: Nov 2012
Likes: 37
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Gender:

Re: which bio topics useful for pharmacy?

Originally Posted by bellandross View Post
Minimal readings to be done. Prep work depends on individual i guess...I usually dont do much at home but I am able to survive so far. As long as you pay attention during lectures you should do fine.
that's more reassuring cause if the hours are long and at home you need to cramp till mid-nights, that's really bad.

Sorry to bother you but how's the exams are like?

bcmep is offline   Add to bcmep's Reputation Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NUS Pharmacy crappyguy School Life 193 2nd June 2015 02:13 AM
pharmacy course unknownidiot School Life 3 14th January 2009 09:44 PM
A man went into a pharmacy Altumangel SGClub Cafe 16 16th May 2008 03:11 PM
PHARMACY Altumangel SGClub Cafe 9 25th June 2007 10:03 AM

» Sponsors
Watch Free Movies Online
Celebrity Gossip
Food Delivery

» Facebook Fans
» What's Going On?
Title, Username, & Date
Repost comment.
[Maid abuse] Singapore is a very evil and lawless country. There is broad daylight i
Stupid court of appeal gives red light running driver who hit pedestrian 15% discount
Mum's Kitchen Catering and Cherish Delights get licences suspended after nearly 40 people...
[PMD-pedestrian rules] Singapore Court judges are high handed and biased or court rep
Post anything random on this thread.
Ritter Sport chocolate recalled due to undeclared allergen
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
I really hate my mother!!!
Transcend RDF9K2 All-in-One Card Reader
Transcend ESD250C, a portable SSD that’s super classy
How PAP exploited racial differences to impose FASCIST rule over Singapore.
Up to S$7250 of government $ misused for buying each vote in Singapore?
Funky Fields organic vegan spreadable recalled due to 'undisclosed allergen'
100 hawksbill turtles released into the sea after rare hatching on Sentosa
Inspirational Songs
MOH, SFA investigating after 18 typhoid fever cases in 3 weeks
By militarily invading Hong Kong, Xi Jingping is setting in motion, the wheels of nuc
Deng XiaoPing original vision for HKG- China reunification was for the two to unite a
HSA warns against three products
Featured Photos
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by pdsubbu
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by Vikas Dhar
· · ·
Photography
35 photos
36 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28608 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28608 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28608 comments

 

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright© 2004-2013 SGClub.com. All rights reserved.