Brand new car engine damaged due to suspected water contamination in fuel from ESSO - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Automobile Forum » Brand new car engine damaged due to suspected water contamination in fuel from ESSO

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2014, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts
Brand new car engine damaged due to suspected water contamination in fuel from ESSO

Friend of mine had his brand new Volkswagen car engine damaged resulting in $26k of repairs due to water found in fuel tank.

Volkswagen had investigated and proved that there should not be any water in the tank when vehicle was collected. Esso which is run by NTUC Fairprice and Exxonmobile have both refused to be cooperative to resolve this situation, instead both choosing to push the blame and responsibility to the other.

I have a more than $28K repair bill for my 4-day old car due to contaminated fuel. I have been liasing with ExxonMobil Asia and NTUC Fairprice Co-operative Ltd (supplier and operator for ESSO Service Stations, respectively) for more than 2 months. Both parties have not been willing to meet and address this issue even though we have a report from an independent surveyor. ExxonMobil and NTUC Fairprice just sent us around in circles.
Sequence of events:

3/10/14, my wife submitted her feedback about potential fuel contamination through the Esso website. NO REPLY from Esso.

13/10/14, I submitted the feedback again, alerting of the problem through the Esso website. NO REPLY from Esso.

14/10/14, we contacted ExxonMobil customer service hotline and informed them of our feedback that was submitted online. ExxonMobil said that they will look into it.

15/10/14, ExxonMobil replied saying that “…after investigating the
matter, we have established that there was no contamination in the said
batch of fuel.” When I asked WHY IT TOOK THEM SO LONG TO REPLY, ExxonMobil said that they OVERLOOKED OUR ONLINE FEEDBACK and so did not respond. I wrote back to ExxonMobil asking if they tested a sample of the diesel from the underground storage tank at the particular Esso service station to confirm that there is no contamination.

16/10/14, I emailed ExxonMobil requesting for (1) date and time of the sample of fuel that was said to have no contamination in the email on 15/10/14, and (2) date and time of the sample collection from the underground storage tank. My wife contacted ExxonMobil customer service and was told that the Esso petrol station has a daily quality test report to monitor the fuel. We requested for the report dated 24/9/14 (the day I pumped at Esso). This was NEVER PROVIDED TO US.

20/10/14, we received a reply from ExxonMobil saying that the fuel is free from contamination. My wife replied asking ExxonMobil to look into the matter and invited them to the Volkswagen service centre to assess the damage to my car engine.

22/10/14, I received a call from the Territory Manager of ExxonMobil saying that they have investigated and the fuel is not contaminated. She said that it was NO LONGER POSSIBLE TO TEST THE FUEL AT THE STATION as the entire batch of fuel had already been sold. She also confirmed that ExxonMobil WILL NOT be sending anyone to assess the damage to my car.

23/10/14, I received an email from the Territory Manager of ExxonMobil saying that “…we investigated and did not find water in the fuel. All products go through stringent checks prior to their delivery to the underground storage tanks at our service stations and the fuel you had purchased met all requisite specifications.” The email also said “Fairprice is our alliance partner, TAKING CARE OF OUR OPERATIONS AT THE SERVICE STATION” and referred us to contact QBE, the insurance company for Fairprice. The email also DID NOT ADDRESS THE QUALITY OF THE FUEL AT THE POINT OF SALE to me. We requested ExxonMobil for the details on the investigation and the name of the contact persons at NTUC Fairprice and QBE insurance. These were NEVER PROVIDED.

27/10/14, my wife emailed ExxonMobil asking what is the acceptable range of water content in the diesel.

29/10/14, I received a call from the Territory Manager of ExxonMobil telling me the usual range of water content but she could not give me a definite answer.

12/11/14, I emailed ExxonMobil for written confirmation on the maximum permissible water content in the Esso diesel.

13/11/14, I emailed ExxonMobil for a reply but could not contact anyone.

15/11/14, I emailed ExxonMobil asking for an acknowledgement to my email on 12/11/14 as there were no replies.

17/11/14, ExxonMobil replied that we are the only vehicle owner to have reported the issue of contaminated fuel and that the maximum water-in-fuel content is 200mg/ kg of fuel. The remaining diesel fuel in my tank was tested by an independent party and the water-in-fuel content exceeded the limit by more than 50% and it was 306 mg/kg

18/11/14, we sent a letter to NTUC Fairprice CEO about our situation and requested for further information

3/12/14, my wife received a reply from the Manager, Customer Relations, NTUC Fairprice stating that, “We wish to clarify that feedback pertaining to the product quality of fuel DOES NOT COME UNDER THE PURVIEW of NTUC FairPrice and would be referred to ExxonMobil Asia Pacific Pte Ltd.” The email also referred us back to the same Territory Manager, ExxonMobil who told us that we should contact NTUC Fairprice.

4/12/14, my wife replied to NTUC Fairprice stating that NTUC Fairprice Co-operative Ltd (as the seller) has a contractual obligation to me (as the buyer) and has to address our request for proof as we are claiming against NTUC Fairprice under the Lemon Law. We requested by 8/12/14 for NTUC Fairprice to accept our claims for damages or to provide proof that the defect (i.e. water in the fuel) did not exist at the time of sale or delivery. NO REPLY RECEIVED from NTUC Fairprice by 8/12/14

Sponsors:
Add to maverick's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Brand new car engine damaged due to suspected water contamination in fuel from ESSO

Similar incident reported in wanbao:

http://www.wanbao.com.sg/local/story20141205-43206

Anyone else heard of such incidences here???

Last edited by maverick; 9th December 2014 at 12:15 PM.
maverick is offline   Add to maverick's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Brand new car engine damaged due to suspected water contamination in fuel from ESSO

Michigan Gas Station Pumps Fuel ‘Grossly Contaminated’ With Water, Kills Car

Dear ABC News Fixer: I filled my gas tank with fuel that was contaminated with water, causing more than $1,300 in damage to my car – and now the Shell station won’t reimburse me.

It happened Nov. 8. Within a mile of the gas station, my car was completely dead. I had it towed to the dealer, who found the gas tank was full of dirty water. I immediately filed a complaint with the Michigan Department of Agriculture. An inspector went to the gas station the next day and found that the premium fuel was grossly contaminated with water. He said the owner told him the pump was turned off for “routine maintenance,” but he found someone pumping water out of the underground fuel tank. The State of Michigan fined the gas station.

I presented this information to Shell and they basically told me to take it to court. I think it’s shameful that Shell, which makes billions of dollars a year, refuses to take responsibility for damage to my vehicle that was clearly caused by faulty fuel from one of their stations.

- Joe Yaklic, Chesterfield, Mich.

Got a consumer problem? The ABC News Fixer may be able to help. Click here to submit your problem online. Letters are edited for length and clarity.

Dear Joe: We were perplexed, too. It stretched logic that your 2010 Corvette would poop out just after leaving the gas station with its gas tank full of water -- unless you got that water at said gas station. We wondered if perhaps Shell didn’t consider the whole story.

We pored over the inspection reports and spoke with Craig VanBuren, director of the consumer protection section at the Michigan Department of Agriculture, who oversaw this case. He told us that in addition to his inspector finding that a vendor had pumped out 800 gallons of water from the underground tank, they determined that the tank contained 5.5 inches of water -- above the 2 inches allowed under Michigan law. The state also tested two samples of gas, from two different days, both of which came back as contaminated with water. The state issued a stop-sale order and $2,350 in fines.

The situation was complicated because the station is independently owned and receives its gas through a wholesale distributor. But we figured Shell, with its name and logo on the station, would have the ability to get this fixed.

And we were right. After we showed all your proof to Shell, they sprang into action. The next morning, you got a call from the distributor, who apologized several times and promised to pay for all your damages. You also heard from a wholesale sales manager at Shell, who said he wanted to make sure everything was being handled.

A few days later, the refund from the distributor arrived: a total of $1,916.45 -- $1,362.50 for the repair, $57.95 for the gas purchase and $496 for your missed day of work dealing with the problem.

A short while after that, the sales manager from Shell sent you a package containing two $25 Shell gift cards, a Shell coat and a Shell hat, along with a note saying they appreciate your business. So now this is really fixed.

A couple things we learned from this:

Filling up your car with water is a pretty rare occurrence, but we’re told consumers can reduce the risk by not using a pump where a tanker truck is refilling the storage tank. There is often a little water in that underground tank – for example, up to 2 inches is allowed under Michigan law – and it’s normally not a problem, since water is heavier than gas and it stays at the bottom of the tank. But if the underground tank is being filled just as you use the pump, there’s a chance the water could slosh up and get mixed in.

If you suspect you’ve pumped water into your car, act quickly. Document everything. Keep your receipt and know the pump number and time of purchase. Immediately call your state’s weights and measures inspectors (often part of the state Department of Agriculture). Ask them to send an inspector right away.

Take the car to a certified mechanic, and if they find water in the gas, ask them to keep a sample of the contaminated fuel. Document the chain of evidence in case you need to have the sample tested for a court battle. And call your insurance company.

- The ABC News Fixer

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/michig...ry?id=23004467

Old 9th December 2014, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Firewind is on a distinguished road

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Similar case here:
http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2664...petrol-station

Might want to contact the affected member to see how it was resolved.

Firewind is offline   Add to Firewind's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
juan91 is on a distinguished road

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

BP admits petrol had water in it

A major fuel company has confirmed a shipment of petrol delivered around Northern Ireland from a Belfast terminal was contaminated with water.

BP confirmed last night it was investigating how the contamination in the tainted ultra low sulphur petrol happened.

The firm said that some of the petrol had already been taken by tanker to various filling stations before the discovery.

So far there has been one reported breakdown as a result.

A spokesman for the company said sales of the petrol were stopped as soon as it realised there was a problem.

“The moment this was reported, the tank where the product came from was isolated and deliveries stopped,” he said.

“There are no issues with product being delivered now. We are investigating the cause.
advertisement

“A very small number of petrol stations have reported high water levels in their tanks. In all but one case, the water settled at the bottom of the tank and was drained.”

Deliveries were thought to have returned to normal last night.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-28513638.html

juan91 is offline   Add to juan91's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Water-in-diesel shock: Couple's new $140,000 car needs $28,000 repairs

Water-in-diesel shock: Couple's new $140,000 car needs $28,000 repairs

In September, they bought a Volkswagen Touran TDI 1.6 seven-seater to replace their second-hand Honda Civic.

Mr Cheah Khuan Yew, 37, and his wife Jessica, 41, needed a bigger car for their family of five.

But after Mr Cheah topped up diesel in the four-day-old car, the engine started stuttering.

Three months later, the findings from an inspection found that the car engine had been damaged by water-tainted diesel. But ExxonMobil proved to the couple that it was not a fuel problem.

Volkswagen has told the Cheahs that it would cost $28,000 to replace the engine and fuel system, which is not covered by the car warranty and insurance.

And they are still baffled as to how water could have entered the fuel tank of their new car.
- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/water-diesel-....qAOpSLQq.dpuf