China to start work on world's highest airport 14,553 feet above sea level - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Travel Talk > China » China to start work on world's highest airport 14,553 feet above sea level

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2011, 06:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fgfmse is on a distinguished road

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
China to start work on world's highest airport 14,553 feet above sea level

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BQ09M20111227

A tourist takes pictures at Namtso lake in the Tibet Autonomous Region September 14, 2011. Located at an altitude of around 4,718m above sea level, Namtso lake is not only the highest saltwater lake in the world, but also one of the holiest rivers attracting throngs of devotees and pilgrims on major Buddhist festivals.Credit: Reuters/Kong Yen Lin

(Reuters) - China will start work on the world's highest airport next year, in Tibet's Nagqu county, state media said on Tuesday, which will be about 100 meters (328 ft) higher than the existing record holder in another part of the remote and restive region.

Nagqu airport will be at an altitude of 4,436 meters (14,553 ft) above sea level, slightly higher than the airport in Qamdo town at 4,334 meters (14,219 ft), Xinhua news agency reported.

The airport will cost 1.8 billion yuan ($280 million) and is expected to open in three years, Xinhua added.

Tibet already has five civilian airports, at least two of which are only open for a few months of the year because of extreme weather which makes flying impossible the rest of the time.

China has embarked upon a multi-billion-dollar program in recent years to revamp old airports and build new ones, especially in the country's remote west, as a way of boosting the economy.

The government has also poured billions of dollars into Tibet, hoping to win hearts and minds in a region the Communist Party has run with an iron grip for six decades.

The government says that the new airports, roads and a railway to Tibet will promote development and help raise living standards.

But Tibet activists say the new links will speed up the pace of Chinese migration there and dilute Tibetan Buddhist culture.

($1 = 6.3364 Chinese yuan)

Sponsors:
Old 21st March 2012, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
shintai is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: China to start work on world's highest airport 14,553 feet above sea level

That will take a lot of time (and money too) to finish the construction. But it's really interesting and exciting to see the exterior and interior designs, and how the new airport will look like once it is fully operational. I bet it'll be one of the best airports in the world

shintai is offline   Add to shintai's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
themightyblue has a spectacular aura about

Liked 53 Times in 51 Posts
Re: China to start work on world's highest airport 14,553 feet above sea level

Don't necro old threads please.

"I will take every morsel of light from this world, so that you have nowhere to run to but the shadows.
And when I find you, they will bring you bound by chains into my chambers where I shall look into your eyes before I rip you from your futile existence.

Your blood shall rain upon my throne of darkness, and seep into the cracks of a world once filled with light."
themightyblue is offline   Add to themightyblue's Reputation Reply With Quote