City smash sorry Reds - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Sports Forum > Soccer Forums > Liverpool Fan Club » City smash sorry Reds

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2010, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber
tcd is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
City smash sorry Reds

Manchester City flexed their enormous muscles at Eastlands tonight to delight the man who made it all possible and deliver their biggest beating of Liverpool since 1937.

Sheikh Mansour could not have picked a better night to watch the team he has spent £1 billion on in a league game for the first time.

With James Milner enjoying an outstanding debut, City were far too good for a Liverpool side who have a week to get themselves into some sort of shape given Javier Mascherano's absence seems like the next step in a big-money move to Barcelona.

Milner set up Gareth Barry for City's opener before Carlos Tevez claimed to have got a touch to Micah Richards' goalbound header just after half-time.

A brilliant double save from Joe Hart snuffed out any chance of a revival before Tevez sent Pepe Reina the wrong way from the spot after Martin Skrtel had fouled Adam Johnson.

It capped a performance that proves City have the credentials and the talent to win the biggest prize they can this season, if manager Roberto Mancini can keep his vast squad happy.

Had he so wished, Manchester City's immensely rich owner could have had his pre-match meal at the new 'City Square' on Joe Mercer Way, part of the £20million stadium revamp that has taken place since he took control from the discredited former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Rather more costly were the players he has helped assemble. Nine of them were part of Roberto Mancini's starting line-up - Richards and Hart the two exceptions - a sign of the revolution that has taken place in the past two years.

Long-standing City fans are still pinching themselves at having the opportunity to watch the likes of Yaya Toure and Tevez. But down the years, they have taken a huge amount of pride in their academy, which has produced so many first-team players, Richards among them.

The level City are operating at now means continuing that work is going to be tough. Instead, pleasure has to be derived in different ways.

So to have the stamp ''Made in England'' embossed on their first Premier League goal of the season was an achievement to be noted. That the goal came about because of a momentary failure from Steven Gerrard just brought added poignancy. Johnson spotted Milner advancing just beyond the Liverpool skipper and found him with a smart pass.

Milner delivered the perfect cut-back into an area he hoped a team-mate had filled. Barry obliged and did the business from 10 yards with a neat side-footed finish. It was the high point of a one-sided first-half.

Tevez and Johnson both found the side-netting from an acute angle. Johnson had earlier driven a fierce shot wide and Milner's running was intelligent and incisive. Liverpool could certainly not have complained if they had been further adrift.

Roy Hodgson's men struggled to retain any source of possession, which just confirmed the gaping hole Mascherano will leave should he get his wish to start another phase of his career away from Anfield.

Liverpool appear too deficient in too many areas for Hodgson to waste much time persuading someone intent on leaving that his future remains on Merseyside.

In a meagre first-half, the visitors created just a single chance, which the returning Fernando Torres set up for Gerrard, who wasted it. The only time Liverpool got any nearer after half-time was in the flurry of activity that followed Gerrard's explosive free-kick that thudded against the post.

Hart was beaten on that occasion but not when David Ngog had a go. England's new No. 1 palmed that away, straight into Torres' path. It seemed a certain goal but Hart stood firm again, repelling the Spain striker with a magnificent save with his left hand.

That this all came after a second City goal, which Tevez claimed even though any touch to a Richards header from Milner's corner was so faint as to render it impossible to spot.

Reina could not keep it out anyway. Nor did the goalkeeper do any better when Tevez sent him the wrong way from the spot after Johnson had been fouled by Skrtel.

All summer, the football talk around these two clubs has centred around breaking into that top four. On this evidence, only City are capable of that. And, thanks to Sheikh Mansour's largesse, they are capable of much more besides too.

Milner relishes debut

James Milner was just glad to finally be on the pitch after being in the spotlight during his protracted move to Manchester City.

Milner told Sky Sports 1 when asked if he was nervous about starting: ''Not really - I was just glad to get out there and play. Luckily I was selected. It's always tough against Liverpool - but we got three goals and a clean sheet.''

Of the game, Milner added: ''They didn't cause us too many problems in the first half, then they came out in the second half. The club is moving forward, they've signed a lot of great players. There is great competition which is healthy for any team so hopefully we can build on this.''

City manager Mancini refused to be drawn on whether his side are Premier League contenders.

''I don't know this,'' Mancini said. ''I think it's important to improve game after game, we need to gel. We need the time to become a strong squad.''

Of his side's performance, he added: ''It was a fantastic night for Manchester City and I am very happy. It's very important, the mentality.''

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson refused to be concerned at the start to the season which sees the Anfield side having claimed just one point.

''We are only two matches into the season. We had Arsenal in the first game which we had to play with 10 men (after Joe Cole's sending-off) and then a strong Manchester City side,'' he told Sky Sports. ''It's a bit premature to start discussing how big the match is. Hopefully in the next 36 games we can take some points.''

The former Fulham boss added: ''We were a bit unlucky to get beaten so heavily. I thought we had one or two good spells in the game.

''We stuck at it and we were a bit unlucky not to get one back when Hart made an incredible double save. We lacked a cutting edge and the organisation I would have liked.''

Source: soccernet

Sponsors:
Add to tcd's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
United Once, United Forever
Boianeze is a jewel in the roughBoianeze is a jewel in the rough

Liked 82 Times in 69 Posts
Re: City smash sorry Reds

£1 billion? Wow.

Lets see what happened in the return fixture at anfield.

Last edited by Boianeze; 24th August 2010 at 12:42 PM.
Boianeze is offline   Add to Boianeze's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Kouken_Tenshi will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bad match bad match........I watched it and Man City's midfield was super thick. Possession was 63% / 37%...Gerrard could barely make passes and Torres was completely locked down.

Kouken_Tenshi is offline   Add to Kouken_Tenshi's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMO i thought roy has his tactic wrong. I dont know if our players are suited/adaptable for 4-4-2 atm especially away game, alway game and against one of the so call big-guns. For 4-4-2 to work, imo i thought we need proper winger, kuyt & milan clearly not a winger cut in-field too much. Gerrard couldnt do any decent pass without being locked down (city with 3 DM) and lucas left exposed to city 2 or 3 players when gerrard moved up(n when they counter attack). Remind me of arsenal game( 1st half) and traz game, it's like there is no link between striker n midfielder. I thought city is decent yesterday and the fact that we played so poorly make them look great.

Mash was on strike and refused to play yesterday(rumours flying ard atm) but even if he played, do u think we will be able to play better?

tcd is offline   Add to tcd's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
dumbdumb912 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday match was terrible. I can't watch anymore after Tevez scored the third goal. They has shown that Liverpool is best at 4-5-1. They look really awkward in 4-4-2. I believe even Boro also can beat them if they play 4-4-2 again. I rarely see Lucas touching the ball at all.

They have a chance when they shoot around 3-4 times inside the box. But there's too many defender and Joe Hart is playing great.

Old 24th August 2010, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
cloudzero is an unknown quantity at this point

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

can roy call back aqua during the season halfway even though his on loan if lvpl needs him?

cloudzero is offline   Add to cloudzero's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are F*** this season

Last edited by tcd; 24th August 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 24th August 2010, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
DoraTheExplorer is a jewel in the roughDoraTheExplorer is a jewel in the rough

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

We totally owned the reds in this game Just look at the possesion and jangan jealous la, say Boro also can beat them. 4-4-2 is favoured by Hodgson if you did not know, and it works well, just that Masch was replaced by Lucas, who completely sucked, and Jovanic taking the position of J.cole who didn't do very well in that position.

Old 24th August 2010, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorer View Post
We totally owned the reds in this game Just look at the possesion and jangan jealous la, say Boro also can beat them. 4-4-2 is favoured by Hodgson if you did not know, and it works well, just that Masch was replaced by Lucas, who completely sucked, and Jovanic taking the position of J.cole who didn't do very well in that position.
Well done city u really owned us today. We were outplayed tactically imo, yes 4-4-2 is favoured by roy but we have no proper wingers and jov/kuyt cut in alot. Jova taking position of J.cole? You mean left wing or u mean play behind the strikers? If left wing yes, if playing behind the strikers no, it is 4-4-2, not 4-2-3-1. Why tottenham can do a 4-4-2 better than us when against city? IMO they have proper pacy wingers and with strikers like crouch, harry has a high defence line but for roy, he believed area near penalties area is more impt(low defence line). Basically roy is inviting city to attack (pushing back the line) but harry is doing the attack instead for spurs. And when 3 DM push forward, what possession do u expect when gerrard bomb forward, lucas get locked by 2/3 city players or when gerrard get the ball (he get locked down also). This is my opinion.

Last edited by tcd; 24th August 2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 24th August 2010, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
weightp is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sad sad news for liverpool but its just the biginning of the season so no worries they will fight back..

weightp is offline   Add to weightp's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 04:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Infinite will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to nothing to say...

Old 24th August 2010, 04:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dumbdumb912 View Post
Yesterday match was terrible. I can't watch anymore after Tevez scored the third goal. They has shown that Liverpool is best at 4-5-1. They look really awkward in 4-4-2. I believe even Boro also can beat them if they play 4-4-2 again. I rarely see Lucas touching the ball at all.

They have a chance when they shoot around 3-4 times inside the box. But there's too many defender and Joe Hart is playing great.
I think roy wanted to try 442 abit too soon and against the likes of city make it worst. Gerrard without doubt is very good in alot of position and tbh he is also a very selfish player. It good to be selfish especially for the front 3 or 4 but how many time he can choose to pass but he shoot. And when he attacked, he left lucas to face with 3 city DM, against lesser team we prolly will not noticed it but we were punished by city yesterday. The 1st goal by city i feel is his fault, could have closed down but he didnt.

Old 24th August 2010, 07:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Kouken_Tenshi will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kuyt could have marked Barry as well but he didn't and allowed him to run into the box. But seriously speaking, we aren't ready for 4-4-2 unless we have a proper forward line. Agger was really good at defending, which obviously was more needed in the centre than the left.

I have nothing left to say. Against the free spending City, we can already see what kind of squad we have compared to theirs. Fighting for a top 4 is definitely no easy feat in the coming seasons.

Kouken_Tenshi is offline   Add to Kouken_Tenshi's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 07:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kouken_Tenshi View Post
Kuyt could have marked Barry as well but he didn't and allowed him to run into the box. But seriously speaking, we aren't ready for 4-4-2 unless we have a proper forward line. Agger was really good at defending, which obviously was more needed in the centre than the left.

I have nothing left to say. Against the free spending City, we can already see what kind of squad we have compared to theirs. Fighting for a top 4 is definitely no easy feat in the coming seasons.

Ya, this is debatable, gerrard or kuyt's fault. For me, gerrard dilly dally abit and allow dangerous ball into the box

Last edited by tcd; 24th August 2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 24th August 2010, 07:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
RecceSpec is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

more like lucas at fault. stoning down there.

RecceSpec is offline   Add to RecceSpec's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 10:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
battleboy131 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

*facepalm* I can't believe we lost 3-0. I didn't watch but was shock to heard that we lost at home with such a bad scoreline.

* Please PM me of any english error I had made in any of my post. +Rep would be given*
battleboy131 is offline   Add to battleboy131's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 11:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Delardino is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by battleboy131 View Post
*facepalm* I can't believe we lost 3-0. I didn't watch but was shock to heard that we lost at home with such a bad scoreline.
Away leh, not at home.

Originally Posted by RecceSpec View Post
more like lucas at fault. stoning down there.
It is nt Lucas fault lah, Luca has been playing out of position for so long le, his best position is actually our capt de, i suggest he seek a move away frm Anfield as long as Gerrard is around he wont b able to play to his best de.

Delardino is offline   Add to Delardino's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 03:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
battleboy131 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Delardino: It has been a long time since i seen you around here!

Hmm, but i think still quite unacceptable leh. 3-0 leh. not like 1-0 or 1-1 but 3-0. A big gap.

* Please PM me of any english error I had made in any of my post. +Rep would be given*
battleboy131 is offline   Add to battleboy131's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 10:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Delardino is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by battleboy131 View Post
Delardino: It has been a long time since i seen you around here!
Hee, miss me ah =b

Ya i rarely come here over the past few months sometimes got drop by la budden didnt post. I yet to see a full game this season also eh.

Delardino is offline   Add to Delardino's Reputation Reply With Quote