Common misconceptions for Diplomas. - Page 4 - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life » Common misconceptions for Diplomas.

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2012, 11:50 PM   #61 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
battleboy131 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Common misconceptions for Diplomas.

Originally Posted by Graceyoes View Post
I don't know much about LRM(Leisure & Resort Management), but I know a lot about RMT (Retail Management), cause I am a senior in that course.Can't give u any advise on LRM, but can give u some details about retail. It's basically all about managing a store/retail store from front line to back end, some modules learned would coincides with the marketing students too. Utimately u have to see where ur interest lies whether u prefers the retail/leisure & resort industry. And sometimes u have to look at whether when u graduate are u willing to go into retail related jobs or leisure & resort's related jobs or u want to further study in a university. If u are planning to go uni, work hard in poly from the very first semester so that u can land urself a place in the government local uni.
If u want to know more details about RMT, just let me know
PM her for more infomation about RMT
PM me for more infomation about LRM

@Graceyoes: Are you a TP student as well?

Originally Posted by IzumiAiko View Post
Agree.

We shall not and SHOULD not stop at diploma ONLY. Its totally not enough as i said before. Even people like me who is studying for 3D design Majoring in Interior Design and Minoring in Exhibition and Object design will try to get into a Degree course which collaborates with a UK university. If im not wrong the degree is 1~2 year course. Degree in Spatial Design.

Anyways, for people who have financial difficulties with regards to University admission, they can procceed on working using their diploma first, after saving enough money(While gaining working experience related to ur diploma), u can then follow by applying for an related Degree course.

Or, u can apply for Bank loan to pay for ur Uni fees first. Be it Overseas university, Local or Private. Face the fact that its still a Degree and recognisable.

Lets all do our best and strive for a Degree minimum.
Exactly. Thank you for pointing out such an important point. I don't know why people make diploma feel so 'valuable' when they are at 'O' level. When you are pursuing a diploma, you will THEN understand how much it worth.

Sponsors:

* Please PM me of any english error I had made in any of my post. +Rep would be given*

Last edited by battleboy131; 1st February 2012 at 11:51 PM.
battleboy131 is offline   Add to battleboy131's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 11:56 PM   #62 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
IzumiAiko will become famous soon enough

Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts

Yeas. Most people feel that getting a Diploma is something very big. I have been indoctriated with a mind set that Diploma is not enough since the very first day in my Secondary school.

As i was saying, Even though its a FACT that u can chnge to a Degree courses of ur liking in Uni, don't u feel its a waste of time(3years) doing something that ultimately ends up going down the drain? Although technically its alright, but if u would had chosen something u like, procceeding into a degree can give u a better chances to understand the courses well, and also better prepare and equip urself with the following skills.

If not, i guess u gotta work very hard to surpass ur lvl of stress

Lets work hard guys! Don't waste ur 3years. Make sure u plan ur paths well.

IzumiAiko is offline   Add to IzumiAiko's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:03 AM   #63 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

BTW guys, SOME listed NAFA diplomas can be used to apply for NUS and NTU's degree

-Forgotten to share with u guys-

But u muz work VERY hard. Although its very silly to go NUS/NTU when NAFA itself has their own degree which is more recognised in the Creative indsutry.

The link for NUS(NAFA Dip) : http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/loca...p/nanyang.html (Scroll to the most bottom of the page)

The link for NTU(NAFA Dip) : http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/Undergr...lyDiploma.aspx (Scroll to the Center part of the page where they listed down the Diplomas accepted )

Good luck guys!

Old 2nd February 2012, 12:08 AM   #64 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Graceyoes has a spectacular aura about

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Originally Posted by battleboy131 View Post
PM her for more infomation about RMT
PM me for more infomation about LRM

@Graceyoes: Are you a TP student as well?
Yup I am Graduating soon

Old 2nd February 2012, 12:10 AM   #65 (permalink)
Pushémon
Aiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to behold

Liked 349 Times in 281 Posts

Agree with TS! If you have a passion for arts, go to art school like NAFA and LASALLE instead. SOTA seems okay too!

Because if you go to poly, you can prepare to work in a different field, in a barely related field, or a related job that pays you very little.

Aiyilin is offline   Add to Aiyilin's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:54 AM   #66 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Graceyoes has a spectacular aura about

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

I think if you are going to get a diploma, choose ur diploma well. Ultimately u have to think of the things below:

if going to a local uni, study hard from the start, local uni like NUS and NTU looks highly on ur results maybe 20% on o levels results but 80% on cumulative GPA. One can always check out last year poly's students' GPA entering into NUS and NTU's various course from the uni website to gauge who u are competing with and estimate the minimum GPA to land urself a place into the degree programme in NUS/NTU. If going for local uni like SUTD or SIT, the new uni, they would probably still look at GPA but not as competitive as as NUS and NTU. They would probably shortlist people first by looking at ur GPA and some of ur work and then shortlist u for an interview.

If going for private/oversea uni, make sure to plan for ur money. Private uni don't look so much into GPA but some may look a bit it into it. There are some people out there who have no choice but to enter private/overs uni as they do not have their degree related programme in the local uni. Some went in as they wanted to go into local uni but results are not good enough.

However, there are people who choose to work after graduating from a diploma. They feel that they are satisfied with it and it is sufficient as to them experience is more important and believe they would succeed or it could be due to several other reasons . So if one feel that there isn't a need for a degree, then I suggest go for it. There are many diploma holders who did not further their studies due to various circumstances or other reasons and focus on working as they have the passion, drive, experience or talent for the industry they are working in and they manage to survive well without a degree.

Also, if one can get into JC with his/her's "O" level result and don't know what to do currently but knows that he/she will definitely want to enter a local uni, then I suggest that person to go to JC instead of poly.

Ultimately, ask urself what ur interest is? what u want to work in? DO u want to further study?

Last edited by Graceyoes; 2nd February 2012 at 12:56 AM.
Graceyoes is offline   Add to Graceyoes's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 02:35 AM   #67 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Yes. Totally agree.

Everyone has their own talents. But plan ur path WELL.

I know lots of people are reading this thread, so do take in ALL the good/positive comment into ur deepest considerations.

We are here to provide a good guide "Lights" to people so u guys can have a better/Smoother paths ahead after O levels.

Just make sure u really work VERY hard.

Go and strive for ur dreams, its okay to suffer a little at first, but when theres PASSION, any hardship can be surpassed easily. Trust me. Have faith in urself readers!

Degree is an Backup. But what u should have is equipping urself with a positive attitude, and a good personality. Hardwork comes first.

Do ur best!

Old 2nd February 2012, 02:53 AM   #68 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

The following thread is an real life example of how a Diploma course can ruin ur Future Degree course and obstruct ur ways towards ur Dreams when u did not choose ur Diploma WISELY...

http://forums.sgclub.com/singapore/c...ni_389513.html

Moral of the story : " Go with ur passion, interest and what u think its right. Dun bother with other's comment. Listen to urself. Others are not gonna suffer if they dun have interest in the course half way thru, YOU ARE THE ONE THATS GONNA SUFFER AT THE END OF THE DAY. Be wise. Know what u wan, do what u wan. "

Old 2nd February 2012, 09:08 AM   #69 (permalink)
New SGClubber
LoveInABottle is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WoW! Very informative!

By the way, last year what is the cut-off point for gaining entry to NPoly Dip B.S ?

Thanks

Old 2nd February 2012, 01:49 PM   #70 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

For the list of Cut off points for Ngee Ann poly, u can refer to here.

~> http://www.np.edu.sg/admissions/tips/Pages/JAECOP.aspx

Any question u guys can ask here.

All the best~

Old 2nd February 2012, 01:56 PM   #71 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

BTW. For any readers that happens to be from the Normal Tech stream. Don't worry, theres PLENTY of chances for u guys to make it to NTU/NUS.

As i remember having TWO seniors from my school's Normal Technical Stream managed to make into NTU after taking a long route of ITE > Poly > NTU.
They do not even had an O level cert but still, they made it to NTU.

So for N(t) student, u guys can still make it big. But only slighter longer route.

N lvl > ITE > Poly > Uni (NTU/NUS)

Old 2nd February 2012, 02:29 PM   #72 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Jacky2000 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am eligible to go poly but unfortunately i am not able to enter the course i want..should i spend one more year to retake my O's?

Jacky2000 is offline   Add to Jacky2000's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 02:44 PM   #73 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Hmm... Firstly are u in sec4 or sec5? If u are in Sec4, thn u can treat it as u are a sec5 student... So i guess it'll be okay.

But u must really work VERY hard. Coz i hav seen others retaining one more year, but the result remain the SAME. So i guess u really gotta put in extra effort since its like ur second chance.

If u think the course u can't enter is really what u like and wad u want, then by all means, retain and try to score better. But if its just a sudden urge or not so interested about it, i suggest u to stay put and mayb go for this course?

Ultimately, u are the one gonna walk ur own way out. So, decide properly and think about it.

Coz we can't really make such a big decision for u.

Old 2nd February 2012, 03:34 PM   #74 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Other Diplomas:
1) The following diplomas from NAFA are eligible to the courses from the School of Design and Environment:

Name of Diploma from NAFA NUS Degree Courses :

All Diplomas ~> Music (NUS Degree)

Environmental Design ~> Architecture AND Industrial Design (NUS Degree)

3D Design (Majors: Environmental Design, Exhibition Design, Furniture Design, Interior Design, Jewellery Design & Object Design) ~> Architecture (NUS Degree)

3D Design (Majors: Environmental Design, Furniture Design & Object Design only) ~> Industrial Design (NUS Degree)

Interior Design ~> Architecture (NUS Degree)

2) The following diplomas from La Salle-College of the Arts are eligible for admission to the respective NUS courses:

Diplomas from La Salle- College of the Arts NUS Degree Courses :

All Diplomas ~> Music (NUS Degree)

Interior Design ~> Architecture (NUS Degree)

Product Design ~> Industrial Design (NUS Degree)

Old 2nd February 2012, 04:11 PM   #75 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

For those who are still unsure. I already checked with the NUS/NTU admission departements. For LOCAL diplomas, only the following school's diploma can be use to apply for NUS/NTU.

Singapore Poly
Temasek Poly
Republic Poly
Nanyang Poly
Ngee Ann Poly
Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts
Lasalle

Only the 5 Polys and 2 Art schools in Singapore can be use to apply for NUS/NTU.

Old 2nd February 2012, 11:11 PM   #76 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
SharpTongue is on a distinguished road

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Wow thank you so much for this thread and the barrage of informative posts you have posted here. I must say, because of you, my mind has become more clearer now about what I want to do in life.

Initially I wanted to go JC but I was 2 points short. I couldn't go to a local poly since I failed my Math.

My dad wants me to get a lucrative job, lawyer, but it's not what I really want. I actually want to pursue something more on Geography and History. Furthermore, I do not want to retake my O levels (since I did N Levels so I feel pretty tired doing the whole Singapore national examination ball game all over again)

Then I stumbled upon NAFA's Arts Management course brochure. I was super interested when I saw that they teach on History Art since I'd like to be a curator and my love for History and Geography is deep-seated! But the problem is, because of rumors, like what the thread starter has said, killed my dreams. I needed to get a lucrative job, die die go JC.

But reading this thread, has really REALLY opened up my mind and changed the way I look at things. So tomorrow morning I'm heading down to NAFA to register for an audition for Arts Management.

Thank you so much IzumiAiko, from the bottom of my heart. You saved me.

SharpTongue is offline   Add to SharpTongue's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:23 PM   #77 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Its alright

Coz i had enough watching people suffer and creating a havoc of their life time path. Its also irritating and sad to see people discriminating and giving others the WRONG idea of how a Arts school works.

Most people thinks that when u land urself in one of the FIVE local poly and they will have a secured future. Which is absolutely wrong. Even if u land urself in a good course, eg. Mass com in NP, i will guarantee there will be absolutely no 100% of them can get a job related to their diploma.

Back to NAFA. Please register online first. After that, follow the instruction of what to bring down for registration. U are required to bring some cash along too. And photocopy ur O levels Result and also ur IC(back and front).

I hope this thread can help more people to " Look " Out of the box. Coz i had even seen my english teacher telling us that she don't like teaching, as her real flair is art. The way Singaporean thinks about Art is really pathetic. Lots of them feels that if u are into Creative Industry, u are BOUND to suffer at the end of the journey. Which is WRONG.

As back in the olden days, NAFA and Lasalle were not subsidised sch aided by government. Hence the fees is expensive. Secondly, the school's Diploma can't be use to apply for any LOCAL uni(NTU/NUS). Hence, others feels that this sort of Diploma is for RICH boy/Girls to play with.

We are approaching 22nd century. If we are to think like how our parents/relatives think, we are bound not to improve.

Hope someone can shoot me with any other qns. So i can post more informations here to let others to read.

Thanks.

Old 3rd February 2012, 12:32 AM   #78 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
battleboy131 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

http://www.polyges.sg/pastresults.htm will stop all arguement about what job is the best. Facts !

* Please PM me of any english error I had made in any of my post. +Rep would be given*
battleboy131 is offline   Add to battleboy131's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:01 AM   #79 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Originally Posted by battleboy131 View Post
http://www.polyges.sg/pastresults.htm will stop all arguement about what job is the best. Facts !

No one is arguing about which job is the best or earn higher salary...

I'm encouraging people to do what they want, rather than doing what they dunwan.

Thanks for the link btw~

This thread is just an informative thread towards passion, realistic and practical application of a Diploma. Or just a guideline to achieving ur goals...

Old 4th February 2012, 12:26 PM   #80 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Good luck to those applying for NAFA! xD