Common misconceptions for Diplomas. - Page 8 - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life » Common misconceptions for Diplomas.

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2012, 12:58 PM   #141 (permalink)
refresh
yuko1yuko will become famous soon enough

Liked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Re: Common misconceptions for Diplomas.

yea.....if the person has a criminal record and joins a beauty pagent...ps. the ghosts of the past may come back to haunt us....

Sponsors:
Old 16th October 2012, 01:27 PM   #142 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
qianningfreeces has a spectacular aura about

Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts

I'm in a course I like plus bright future. Yays.

qianningfreeces is offline   Add to qianningfreeces's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 02:48 PM   #143 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
gforce199 will become famous soon enough

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IzumiAiko View Post
B.U.M.Ps thread for future O level grads...

Choose ur course properly pls... If not ya gonna get urself into tons of trouble by x'ferring courses, or x'ferring from Poly to JC or poly to poly or poly to NAFA/Lasalle etc...

Don't choose a course just because u " FEEL " that u will do well in it... Choose a course because u know ya gonna work towards the best of it for the rest of ur life...

Seriously...

Cant really bring myself to agreed with you.

i am in a course tat i think i can do well. And now i graduated with a decent grades in poly and working now..

I think most matters is how different people would think of it and i cant stand it anymore.

my passion is environment science but my science cmi, so i went into IT thinking that.
If i cannot get into what i like. Choose something i am good in so i could get by easily.

And you will never know what course would be best for your life at the age of 16 or 17 when you are choosing courses...

Hope you dun compare poly and other sch like NAFA anymore.
Because it makes no point and apart from a cert, your employer has to like you in order to hire you. So what if you are a master degree, if you cant present yourself well during interview. You think you will get the jobs?

my workplace here. There's a PHD working. But i dun think my supervisor even has a diploma. Again, it's just LIFE... either be or

Old 27th April 2015, 02:59 PM   #144 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
IzumiAiko will become famous soon enough

Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fowayne View Post
So prove me wrong after u graduate from your course and land a relevant job in sg imediately if u are so confident of your passion and future.

Hey! How are you? I have not forgotten about your post! haha!

I had just completed my NAFA-course, Diploma in 3D-Design (Interior and Furniture) at the same time I went for internship (in Year 2) at a small local design studio (I chose not to opt for a bigger internship company like DPA, Banyan Tree or WOHA like my classmate did because I wanted to try "Bao Ga Liao" in a company, as working for a bigger organisation always land u with the same intern job like auto-CADing for the entire internship period.)

I was right for choosing a smaller studio because I even get to visit the site (@ Keppel Bay), liaise with the suppliers and experience almost all the aspect of what u will face as a Designer. (Tips for design students going for internship - choose small company if u want to try being a "real-designer" while choose a big company to look good on your resume)

I will be going to the Army after my "official"-graduation/convocation so I did not bother getting a job now (few months left). Recognition wise it is still widely-accepted as I will be going to Barcelona, Spain in a few weeks time to visit an University (I will be taking Architecture BTW).

Recognition local-wise; do not worry. My classmates / schoolmates manage to get related-jobs with pay $2,200 and up even before they graduated from school with normal working hours, without having to work on the weekends. (Relevant skills and portfolio needed though).
For me, I managed to secure interviews at Forever21 Retail-Design department with my portfolio before graduating too (the best for me so far I guess?) but i rejected the interview because I will be going Europe in a few weeks time.

Seriously, if u have a good attitude in school, do well, put ur portfolios together well, I don't think why u can't get a good job with acceptable pay for a start.

Whatever it is, for those who are reading this thread, as I said 3 years ago (Almost), just go for what u want.

Last edited by IzumiAiko; 27th April 2015 at 03:19 PM.
IzumiAiko is offline   Add to IzumiAiko's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by IzumiAiko:
maverick (27th April 2015)
Old 27th April 2015, 03:06 PM   #145 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Originally Posted by whitecorp View Post
By then she would be very busy and occupied, you think she would come back here to this forum just to "convince" you? She would have better things to do.

Thanks for the post!
Sorry for the late reply I was really busy and occupied for the past 3 years of my Diploma Studies. But I am free (for now) to reply!

Old 27th April 2015, 04:19 PM   #146 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts

Originally Posted by IzumiAiko View Post
Hey! How are you? I have not forgotten about your post! haha!

I had just completed my NAFA-course, Diploma in 3D-Design (Interior and Furniture) at the same time I went for internship (in Year 2) at a small local design studio (I chose not to opt for a bigger internship company like DPA, Banyan Tree or WOHA like my classmate did because I wanted to try "Bao Ga Liao" in a company, as working for a bigger organisation always land u with the same intern job like auto-CADing for the entire internship period.)

I was right for choosing a smaller studio because I even get to visit the site (@ Keppel Bay), liaise with the suppliers and experience almost all the aspect of what u will face as a Designer. (Tips for design students going for internship - choose small company if u want to try being a "real-designer" while choose a big company to look good on your resume)

I will be going to the Army after my "official"-graduation/convocation so I did not bother getting a job now (few months left). Recognition wise it is still widely-accepted as I will be going to Barcelona, Spain in a few weeks time to visit an University (I will be taking Architecture BTW).

Recognition local-wise; do not worry. My classmates / schoolmates manage to get related-jobs with pay $2,200 and up even before they graduated from school with normal working hours, without having to work on the weekends. (Relevant skills and portfolio needed though).
For me, I managed to secure interviews at Forever21 Retail-Design department with my portfolio before graduating too (the best for me so far I guess?) but i rejected the interview because I will be going Europe in a few weeks time.

Seriously, if u have a good attitude in school, do well, put ur portfolios together well, I don't think why u can't get a good job with acceptable pay for a start.

Whatever it is, for those who are reading this thread, as I said 3 years ago (Almost), just go for what u want.
Wow, tks for sharing.

There are a few ppl here asking abt NAFA. care to share your experience? Was the diploma widely recognized in your job search? How does it compare to Lasalle?

Old 27th April 2015, 08:32 PM   #147 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts

Welcome back TS !!!

christmas_ is online now   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 02:43 AM   #148 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Adli will become famous soon enough

Liked 18 Times in 18 Posts

Originally Posted by christmas_ View Post
Welcome back TS !!!
u need to have a certain grade to get into nafa music. not just newbies etc.
if i m not wrong.. u need to have piano grade 8 etc..

so bottomline, its not easy to enter music in nafa.

so if u r a newbie. i think yamaha suits u more. get ur foundation n certs from there befor u enrol into music, be it at nafa or lasalle.

you need to perform too. so get more work done n get ready

Adli is offline   Add to Adli's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 01:53 AM   #149 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Adelinnne will become famous soon enough

Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Adli View Post
u need to have a certain grade to get into nafa music. not just newbies etc.
if i m not wrong.. u need to have piano grade 8 etc..

so bottomline, its not easy to enter music in nafa.

so if u r a newbie. i think yamaha suits u more. get ur foundation n certs from there befor u enrol into music, be it at nafa or lasalle.

you need to perform too. so get more work done n get ready
performing on stage is never an easy job..being the fact that you need to clear stage fright and other stuffs takes time..

Adelinnne is offline   Add to Adelinnne's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 10:20 PM   #150 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Another 2 Years just passed by.

I had not forgotten about this thread (as it left a deep impression on me hehe). Right now I am left with a few months to ORD.

I got accepted into an European University (Spain) and I will be doing Architecture there. NAFA's diploma is widely accepted in UK and AUS as far as I know. Many of my classmates managed to secure a 2nd Year degree courses in reputable UK / AUS degree in related field (in our case, Architecture, Interior Design / Architecture, etc).

Right now I am awaiting my Student Visa results (Praying). Applying into an European University other than UK is a big pain in the ass. I went through almost 1 whole year just to get my Diploma in Design recognised (through matching of their equivalent education in Europe). Luckily it matches their High School Vocational Arts and Design Certificate.

Anyway, 2 Years after graduation and I'm still in contact with most of my classmates. Some took the 1-year topup degree with NAFA and they are already working now. Almost everyone is in related field and earning pretty well. While the rest like me decided to go Overseas for our education.

All in all, I am still doing well. As well as most of my NAFA friends.