Degree to masters - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life » Degree to masters

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2013, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
New SGClubber
HappyUniverse is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Degree to masters

Hi everyone i would most likely be entering NUS real estate management. But i have a keen interest in business administration. As such can i enquire if i can switch o doing a masters in BA after i have completed my real esates degree?

PS: my score does nt allow me to do BBA

Add to HappyUniverse's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
colonel701 is on a distinguished road

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Degree to masters

It all depends on your uni GPA

colonel701 is offline   Add to colonel701's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
sweetlemon is a jewel in the roughsweetlemon is a jewel in the roughsweetlemon is a jewel in the roughsweetlemon is a jewel in the roughsweetlemon is a jewel in the roughsweetlemon is a jewel in the rough

Liked 121 Times in 90 Posts

Agree with the above.

However what is the point of you furthering your studies to get a mba? With no work experience it's actually quite difficult for you to get a job with your mba. Many employers would consider you overqualified for entry level jobs and under qualified in terms of experience for senior positions.

sweetlemon is offline   Add to sweetlemon's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by sweetlemon:
HappyUniverse (15th April 2013)
Old 15th April 2013, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Asylii has a spectacular aura aboutAsylii has a spectacular aura aboutAsylii has a spectacular aura aboutAsylii has a spectacular aura about

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It'll depend on your honour grade as well as whether you take up a minor in Business which would help a lot.

But I do agree with sweetlemon, I know a lot of MBA grad ending up jobless, unless you're willing to take up a job meant for a BBA, if not you're be overqualified for a lower-paying job. Best route to this would be get a job and take up a part-time MBA.

Asylii is offline   Add to Asylii's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
New SGClubber
HappyUniverse is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

@sweetlemon insightful comment there, what do u suggest i do? Shud i get a few years experience and then ask my employer to sponsor my masters education?

HappyUniverse is offline   Add to HappyUniverse's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Yea, TBH degree in real estate management really can't earn much

Old 15th April 2013, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

If you major in engineering and have a MBA , you can expect to get paid a shyt load. 5 digit salary, why you never take engineering?

Old 15th April 2013, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
workingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to all

Liked 174 Times in 130 Posts

typically, MBA uses GMAT as entrance, so doesn't matter what your undergraduate degree is. yes, get at least 2-3 years work experience and then from there, start thinking about which school to go. you probably will get rejected from good MBA schools anyway if you have no experience. employers typically do not sponsor MBA education for those that have only been with them for 2-3 years fresh out of school, unless it is a general education perk at the company.

another reason why it is not ideal to enter MBA too early is because of what is mentioned above about the job prospects. some of the lowest level MBA positions typically offered are level ups from fresh out of college positions, eg. associate from analyst or analyst from associate (depending on your industry hierachy). if you do not have that base experience, an MBA will not help you, or even if it does, puts you at a very disadvantageous position compared to the rest of your peers who have more experience. besides those, you are looking at managerial positions that definitely expect some industry experience as well before they drop some responsibilities on you.

recommendation: plan ahead where you want to be after MBA, sounds like you have not graduated yet, so it will be perfect because it helps to get on the right path right out of undergrad. the industries with MBA positions that requires the lowest level of experience and helps give the biggest leverage are usually consulting and private equity. those who enter into MBA with prior experience in those areas will expect much more opportunities, and more employers seeking them once they graduate. those from other industries or background will have to work a little more, and in your case, if 0 experience, work the most with potentially no outcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

workingtoohard is offline   Add to workingtoohard's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
sweetlemon is a jewel in the roughsweetlemon is a jewel in the roughsweetlemon is a jewel in the roughsweetlemon is a jewel in the roughsweetlemon is a jewel in the roughsweetlemon is a jewel in the rough

Liked 121 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyUniverse View Post
@sweetlemon insightful comment there, what do u suggest i do? Shud i get a few years experience and then ask my employer to sponsor my masters education?
It depends on what your eventual goals are. Do you intend to stay in the estate management field, or move on to other industries? If so, what are the industries you have in mind and how would a mba value-add to your worth as an employee to your company? Or perhaps you are considering an academic path towards professorship? I don't know, these are questions that you would need to address.

Whether your future employer would be willing to sponsor your masters or not, I wouldn't know. I don't think that happens very often unless you're a highly valued employee at managerial level at least. If you're thinking of a few years down the career path it is more likely that you have to take it part time while working, or quit to do a full time 1-2 year course.

However back to the same question, why do you want an mba?

sweetlemon is offline   Add to sweetlemon's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
workingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to all

Liked 174 Times in 130 Posts

on part time vs full time, something to take note of as well, if you have very little experience, best would be to go full time to leverage internship opportunities. many low level MBA positions will also expect internship experience to trial run the MBA position before letting you come on full force. if you have no experience, and only doing part-time, expect all the MBA will do is help get you a slight salary raise at your current company.
Posted via Mobile Device

workingtoohard is offline   Add to workingtoohard's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 01:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
simple_minded will become famous soon enoughsimple_minded will become famous soon enough

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Just to add, you have to choose your MBA sch very carefully. Some MBA degrees overseas are fake or sub-standard.
Pls be sure that you will like your course in Real Estate, else uni will just be waiting for tea break, lunch break and dinner time....

simple_minded is offline   Add to simple_minded's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 12:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
meinteel will become famous soon enoughmeinteel will become famous soon enough

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Just curious, why are you keen in taking up business admin?

Anyway, I do agree with most that you should get your real estate management, work while doing MBA part-time. Personally, Real Estate management have great prospects too. You can consider working as a leasing officer for Capitaland/CDL/Landlease. There are usually a small team of 2-5 leasing officers per shopping mall. Your sole job would be to negotiate with business owners & subsequently lease out shop units. Your career progression moves from leasing officer, to senior leasing officer, assistant leasing manager, leasing manager, and if you are lucky enough, mall director.

meinteel is offline   Add to meinteel's Reputation Reply With Quote