Driving in Singapore [Rant] - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Automobile Forum » Driving in Singapore [Rant]

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2011, 03:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

Liked 312 Times in 239 Posts
Driving in Singapore [Rant]

Question: On the average Sinkie car, say after 5 years, which component of the car is the most unused and brand new?

Answer: The bloody signal lights.

After living overseas for about 2.5yrs, every time i drive in sg during my holidays, I experience a culture shock on the roads which makes driving annoying, frustrating and one of the most painful/worst experiences in SG.

I've really had it with f-cked up drivers in this country. Why do Sinkies find it so difficult to signal? I've been in sg for the past 2.5months now for a break, and started to think deeper into this problem.

1. Do they not realize that their car is equipped with signal lights?
2. Do they know the reason behind signalling?
3. Do they not have time to signal when driving?
4. Do they not have the ability to signal and drive at the same time?

i'll start from 1. Yes, the turn signal is a mandatory requirement for cars to meet design rules in order to be sold to the various markets in the world. That solves the lighting part.

For those who don't know, the turn indicator stalk is located on the left or right side of the steering wheel (depending on the make and model, for jap cars it's usually on the right, although for Subaru it's on the left). To indicate, you simply flick it down to go right (for a right located stalk), and up to go left. Lordly! it returns to its original position to cancel the signal automatically after you've made a required steer angle (about 90 degrees).

so yes, your car is equipped with signal lights.

2. You signal to let others know of your intentions on the road, because we are all trapped in this metal box where body language is not detectable unless it is large n visual enough, and seen through the window (eg. middle finger).

You also don't signal as you change lane, because it would be pointless and for the sake of it. This would be like me intentionally slapping you, then saying sorry.

When others see your signal, they know you want to change lane, and react accordingly. Of course with Sinkies, the usual response would be to speed up. This brings onto a whole new rant, maybe in another post.

3. This is a more common problem i find. Sinkies have been spoon fed from an early age, hence they find it difficult to plan for their future of maybe 5 or 10 years ahead. "dunno lor, see how" is the common response. This translates to driving, where the inability to plan for even the next 5 or 10 seconds ahead, leaves me speechless.

Besides this impromptu thought of changing lane, Sinkies have also demonstrated a kind of impulsive reflex to change lane at any moment so long as there is no one beside him. Note the word is beside, directly at 9'o'clock, not around.

This poor ability to plan their actions ahead and impulsive reflex leads to the Sinkie changing lanes without signalling, as there is no time to incorporate the complex task of lifting one's finger to flick a switch in such an impromptu plan. We're not even talking about the precision manoeuvre of turning one's head to check the blind spot here. The Sinkie then turns the steering wheel, changing the car's direction of travel, so quickly that he hopes no one has noticed his poorly planned manoeuvre.

4. This is the main reason why, I feel.

The task of driving is actually quite a complex one. Thousands of calculations are going on per second, as the driver subconsciously calculates speeds, reaction time, distances, and inputs to the steering, throttle and brakes required. He is also receiving the various feedback from different sources including his body (vestibular system), or his 'G force sensors/accelerometers', his hands (steering & road information), and feet (brake pedal pressure and throttle stiffness). This complex closed loop feedback system is usually done subconsciously, through our 'muscle or motor memory', what we gain from repetitive tasks similar to riding a bicycle. This leaves the brain processing capacity for various tasks such as talking during driving, interpreting road signs, traffic lights, and observing accidents on the other side of the road.

The process of switching lanes is also a complex one. First the driver has to be aware of the speed he is at. He also has to be aware of his surroundings and form a 'map' or picture of the surrounding cars. With this in place, he begins the procedure.

First, he checks the rear view mirror, then the side mirror for cars behind. If there is a car, he calculates the relative car's speed to see if it will reach him before the lane change process is complete. He then signals his intention, turns his head to check his blind spot (which is the area the mirrors don't cover), then inputs a certain angle to the steering wheel based on previous calculations, and then stabilizes the car in the correct heading.

Apparently, the whole process is a little too complicated for most drivers.

When I first learned to fly an aircraft, I was bombarded with the various tasks crucial to navigation and functioning of the aircraft, on top of the basic duty to maintain the aircraft in a straight and level flight. I was expected to be at the destination mentally at least 5 minutes before the physical aircraft did, and would experience an overload of tasks, get stressed out, and miss out a check or two.

This is similar to what most drivers face I believe, missing out on the signalling portion of driving.

To conclude my rant.. there is no easy or quick solution to change the bad habbits that Sinkies have picked up over the years as a result of an ungracious society, poor driver education and the typical kiasu/kiasi attitude.

cheers

Sponsors:
and so on to viscosity.

Last edited by typeX; 7th April 2011 at 03:38 AM.
Add to typeX's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 03:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
kusanag1 is on a distinguished road

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Driving in Singapore [Rant]

u will get over it veri soon . reason for their stupidity : they donno wat they want . my theraphy for them : clear ur dumb mind until u noe wat u want to do , then get back on the road . end of story . tis is not ur grandma's road u noe .

anyway x , u holiday in sg ? or doin attachment ? or lookin for job here ? apply in audi la . haha . u sure can go in anytime one .

anyway , i muz say , now as in now , the road in sg is better than it is 2 - 3 years ago . lucky u made it back in time x . haha .

Last edited by kusanag1; 7th April 2011 at 03:49 AM.
kusanag1 is offline   Add to kusanag1's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 04:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

oh.. haha~ yeah, on an extended holiday in sg while waiting for aus PR to approve n job overseas.

maybe working for awhile in sg to pass the time. Going for interview in denso on fri, but it's on commercial vehicle air con syst. =/

audi in sg? i also want.. haha~ tried applying to LTA but still no reply. other than that, not many car related jobs in sg besides sales.

cant wait to go back aus actually.. this time feel like getting s2k. =x

and so on to viscosity.
typeX is offline   Add to typeX's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 04:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
workingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to all

Liked 174 Times in 130 Posts

*pat* *pat*

Old 7th April 2011, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Fiel is a jewel in the roughFiel is a jewel in the rough

Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts

Take a cab.

Fiel is offline   Add to Fiel's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
ssian will become famous soon enough

bus or train better, cheaper and lots of things and many people to see.

Old 7th April 2011, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
ParamountAssets will become famous soon enough

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Our brakes must be good and serviced regularly. This is not so bad. I encounter people who do not check blind spot and I honk him, he point middle finger at me.

Turning right, I'm in the inner lane, they turn into my lane. I'm puzzled, luckily I'm very careful driver, if not everyday I will have accident. Those usually are old uncles. Haiz. I guess they can't see clearly.

Our company is a serviced office provider with several offices in various parts of Singapore. We also offer a wide array of corporate solutions that are fundamental to businesses. More information can be found on www.ParamountAssetsCorp.com
ParamountAssets is offline   Add to ParamountAssets's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts

LOL..... THUMBS UP to your long rant.

While i've had my fair share of experience with inconsiderate drivers on Singapore roads, i'm glad to say that they aren't the majority. for the most part, i see many drivers using their signals albeit sometimes alittle too late.

i agree with point 2 as i think many may just be ignorant about why they shld signal. though i'm not sure what proportion of them are actually ignorant or just inconsiderate. i always hope that these drivers will someday get caught behind another similar driver when they are in a rush and experience the same pain they give other drivers.

I think point 3 & 4 are obvious NO. if they cannot signal, they shouldn't be driving. period.

hopefully your thread will reach some of the drivers out ther guilty of not signalling when they want to turn or change lanes. PLS BE CONSIDERATE AND LIFT THAT LITTLE FINGER OF YOURS TO MOVE THE SIGNAL LEVER!!

Old 7th April 2011, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Fiel is a jewel in the roughFiel is a jewel in the rough

Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts

I think that others stop signalling because of these bad hats.

Fiel is offline   Add to Fiel's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by typeX View Post
oh.. haha~ yeah, on an extended holiday in sg while waiting for aus PR to approve n job overseas.

maybe working for awhile in sg to pass the time. Going for interview in denso on fri, but it's on commercial vehicle air con syst. =/

audi in sg? i also want.. haha~ tried applying to LTA but still no reply. other than that, not many car related jobs in sg besides sales.

cant wait to go back aus actually.. this time feel like getting s2k. =x
haha ic ic . wa s2k . good . veri nice choice u got there . seriously speakin , my ideal car is na engine wif rwd platform . tat would feel so good driving down the road .

n to parramountassets : u got tat damn right . it always those stupid old uncles .

Old 8th April 2011, 03:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
logging off

How the young are taught to drive also influences it i think. In driving school, the emphasis is to pass the driving test, which i feel like most of the education system in sg, is the wrong concept.

There are so many areas in this aspect of 'automotive related' issues that i find sg can improve on.. oh wells. it's pretty screwed up in many ways. on the other hand, sg is quite a small place so perhaps the thought is 'why bother'.

Originally Posted by kusanag1 View Post
haha ic ic . wa s2k . good . veri nice choice u got there . seriously speakin , my ideal car is na engine wif rwd platform . tat would feel so good driving down the road .

n to parramountassets : u got tat damn right . it always those stupid old uncles .
hehe.. coz i figured that if can't speed, might as well enjoy the drive? but not really a fan of soft tops or the digital tacho. to me some things must be analogue style (those that measure rate, eg rpm, speed, pressure). temp, voltage n such can be in digital. =/

and so on to viscosity.

Last edited by typeX; 8th April 2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 8th April 2011, 08:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

How the young are taught to drive also influences it i think. In driving school, the emphasis is to pass the driving test, which i feel like most of the education system in sg, is the wrong concept.

There are so many areas in this aspect of 'automotive related' issues that i find sg can improve on.. oh wells. it's pretty screwed up in many ways. on the other hand, sg is quite a small place so perhaps the thought is 'why bother'.

hehe.. coz i figured that if can't speed, might as well enjoy the drive? but not really a fan of soft tops or the digital tacho. to me some things must be analogue style (those that measure rate, eg rpm, speed, pressure). temp, voltage n such can be in digital. =/
oh lolz . tat digital thingy . i noe some ppl will feel giddy after seeing too long though . haha . yeah i m not a fan of soft top too . but then its a nice car .

Old 8th April 2011, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
AhFaz will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i`ll only signal if there are cars behind me. if there`s no cars behind me , i wont signal. can bo?

AhFaz is offline   Add to AhFaz's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 09:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
LycosaEx is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AhFaz View Post
i`ll only signal if there are cars behind me. if there`s no cars behind me , i wont signal. can bo?
If you see people at the edge of the road, going to cross you also must signal.

... the spread of secondary and latterly tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well-developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.
- Peter Medawar

Justice always remains quiet about insidious effects.
LycosaEx is offline   Add to LycosaEx's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 03:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
logging off

oh lolz . tat digital thingy . i noe some ppl will feel giddy after seeing too long though . haha . yeah i m not a fan of soft top too . but then its a nice car .
lols.. yeah. oh btw, think i saw your car entering marina square carpark on fri night.

and so on to viscosity.
Old 10th April 2011, 05:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

lols.. yeah. oh btw, think i saw your car entering marina square carpark on fri night.
wa wtf . oh ya ya . tats my car allrite . goin to catch limitless wif a fd2r n fc3s . wahaha . i guess u saw them goin in first rite .
so where were u at tat time . coffee wif friends ? .

Last edited by kusanag1; 10th April 2011 at 05:10 AM.
kusanag1 is offline   Add to kusanag1's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 02:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ferrari is mostly in digital.

Our company is a serviced office provider with several offices in various parts of Singapore. We also offer a wide array of corporate solutions that are fundamental to businesses. More information can be found on www.ParamountAssetsCorp.com
ParamountAssets is offline   Add to ParamountAssets's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 09:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
logging off

wa wtf . oh ya ya . tats my car allrite . goin to catch limitless wif a fd2r n fc3s . wahaha . i guess u saw them goin in first rite .
so where were u at tat time . coffee wif friends ? .
ooh.. i just saw your car only, sunroof open, entering down from raffles blvd entrance. it was pearly white. thought the car n number plate looked familiar. went back to check on fb to confirm. ^^
but thought u wanted to change the colour of the car? thought i saw the wrong car.

we were exiting the car park.. just finished watching Rio.

btw there was a ferrari 430 spider there.. the owner forgot to close the front trunk tightly. some guy went to open it and left it open.. saw the ferrari tool box inside. lol!

Originally Posted by ParamountAssets View Post
Ferrari is mostly in digital.
Yups digital gauge, but analogue needle style..

chio

but for race cars, yea the integrated displays eg. motec dash, is all digital with the rev bars. anw driving those cars, don't think the driverhas the time to look at the dash. when the rev bar touches the limit, just shift.

and so on to viscosity.

Last edited by typeX; 10th April 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10th April 2011, 10:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

F430 Spider was my ride 2 weeks ago. Nope I'm not that rich to own one yet. It's 4 times the price of my car! We rented a Lambo and a Ferrari for 1 week when my friend came over for a short break. The only bad thing is we only get to really test the speed at night but it is too noisy and we have to be considerate to others. It's such a head turner that wherever we go, people keep looking at us. Especially when we are still in our early 30s. I will never never forget this experience and you bet I'm working very hard to own this "babe" before I turn 40.

Old 12th April 2011, 03:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

ooh.. i just saw your car only, sunroof open, entering down from raffles blvd entrance. it was pearly white. thought the car n number plate looked familiar. went back to check on fb to confirm. ^^
but thought u wanted to change the colour of the car? thought i saw the wrong car.

we were exiting the car park.. just finished watching Rio.

btw there was a ferrari 430 spider there.. the owner forgot to close the front trunk tightly. some guy went to open it and left it open.. saw the ferrari tool box inside. lol!
oh ya ya . i saw the ferrari too . lolz . i tot the owner was nearby . as he wanted to put in something or watsoever .

oh yeah . goin to repray in tommorrow . /gg . alreadi delayed 1 month . coz cant find the colour code n needed the car to travel . lolz .