Are you financially ready for a baby? - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Love & Relationships > Family Matters » Are you financially ready for a baby?

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2010, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
Are you financially ready for a baby?

Are you financially ready for a baby?

by April Chua

THE thought of having babies may have some couples jingling their loose change nervously but not for Ms Chew Ailin, 27 and her husband Roy Chang, 33, who were well-prepared for the additional expenditure.

Even before they got married, the couple agreed to get by on one income and refrain from spending on big-ticket items.

This frugality helped Ms Chew and Mr Chang cope with the increase in
expenses when the children came along. The couple has three young children — a 20 month-old boy, Yi Kai, and eight month-old twin girls, Yi Xuan and Yi En.

Ms Chew quit her training consultant job to be a stay-at-home mum after
Yi Kai was born.

“Roy and I decided that it was best for our family that I stay at home to care for and nurture the children. I also felt responsible for my children’s upbringing and didn’t want to leave this responsibility to someone else,” she says.

When Mr Chang received news that his wife was pregnant with the twins, he
was initially concerned how they were going to manage with one income and
three children, especially when they had just bought their house.

While now they have five in the family to care for, a mortgage and more bills to pay, Ms Chew figured they would be able to manage by living simply and by cutting back further on certain expenses.

The couple has also adopted smart shopping strategies, like stocking up on groceries and daily necessities, especially diapers, when these were on sale.

They also eat in most of the time and Mr Chang happily gushes that he is enjoying the home cooked meals.

“And it’s definitely easier to eat in with three young children!” he says.

Ms Chew adds: “Almost all our children’s clothes, toys and baby gear are either gifts or hand-me-downs, which have been very helpful given the rate babies outgrow their clothes and lose interest in various toys. I also fully breastfeed the twins so we save on milk powder cost. Besides, it’s the best milk for babies!”

Mr Chang, who is a pastoral staff member of a church, does his fair bit of
belt tightening. The self-professed “big Apple fan”, who fancies computer gadgets and musical instruments, says he now refrains from making such purchases if they are not necessary for the household.

”After all, it’s only one person that benefits, not my household,” he adds.

They say they are constantly bombarded with the notion of wanting and needing more of everything. Mr Chang says: “There seems to be no end to what we ‘need’. I think more importantly is learning to be contented and willing to work with what we do have. It may require some budget and lifestyle changes but the joys of having children more than make up for these ‘sacrifices’.”

“It is amazing how children canjust melt your heart, when they call you ‘papa’, or simply relate to you.”

Indeed, being frugal is a basic and sound strategy that couples can adopt to save for their children’s expenses, says Ms Anne Tay, vice-president of Wealth Management Singapore at OCBC Bank.

She advises couples to “save first then spend”. For example, they can set
a monthly goal of saving at least 10- 20 per cent of their pay for rainy days, and plan their lifestyle and expenses around the remaining 80-90 per cent.

“Having a child can be a strain on your finances if you do not plan well.

The journey of raising a child till independence is long. Couples should not overly focus on giving the best to the child and spending unnecessarily in the early stage of his or her life, and ignore the on-going costs involved in raising a child.

“Direct the extra dollars for ‘wants’ into a savings or investment plan and
start building the necessary finances to provide for the child’s later years,” says Ms Tay.

She adds: “There is never a perfect time. If you want to have a child, plan for it, especially financially.”

Checklist for parents-to-be

The cost of raising a child may be high but through proper and early planning, it is manageable.

Create a baby budget: Stick to your budget and what your baby needs, not what you want for your baby.

Check available government support for new parents, e.g. Baby Bonus, Infant or Child Care subsidy and tax incentives.

Check your employment benefits: There are a number of benefits you may be entitled to e.g. paid maternity and childcare leave.

Save and spend smart: Save 10-20 per cent of your pay for rainy days. Stretch your dollar by stocking up necessities like diapers during sales or buy cheaper online.

Plan early for the unexpected: Get life and medical insurance for yourself and your baby. Also, ensure you have protection against your long-term liability such as your mortgage, which can be a huge burden.

Save early for your child’s education: Start now, not when he starts school, to maximise the benefit of compounding minterest and smaller regular savings amount.

— Ms Anne Tay, vice-president of Wealth Management Singapore at OCBC Bank

Source: http://www.divaasia.com/article/8745

Sponsors:
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
zainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to all

Liked 219 Times in 184 Posts
Re: Are you financially ready for a baby?

Question is...When will be financial ready...It's differ from one to another..The real Problem with SG is not financially ready, from the way you see what the kids own, most simply not mentally ready..

zainynn is offline   Add to zainynn's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Locutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of light

Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts

A married friend with a kid once share with a group of us (my friends) that when he sat down with his financial planner to work out the expenses etc, the estimate of bringing a child up from the time they are born till the time they finish university is about 250k (a quarter of a million).

Of course that amount is paid over a period of about 20 years, but still, it's a lot.

Old 26th April 2010, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Swordsman will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

not even financial ready for a gf/wife, don't talk about baby. lol.

Old 26th April 2010, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
zainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to all

Liked 219 Times in 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
A married friend with a kid once share with a group of us (my friends) that when he sat down with his financial planner to work out the expenses etc, the estimate of bringing a child up from the time they are born till the time they finish university is about 250k (a quarter of a million).

Of course that amount is paid over a period of about 20 years, but still, it's a lot.
The 250K is base on current price of education and health..In 10 years 10, those price might be double or triple, let alone 20 years..

zainynn added 2 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
not even financial ready for a gf/wife, don't talk about baby. lol.
Bro...are you talking bout gf/wife of Ris expectation..If every girl like that, only the rich will get married..lol

Last edited by zainynn; 26th April 2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
zainynn is offline   Add to zainynn's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Locutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of light

Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts

I presume that the financial planner has already factor in inflation for that 250k (approx).

And that's for just one child.

Old 26th April 2010, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Swordsman will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zainynn View Post
Bro...are you talking bout gf/wife of Ris expectation..If every girl like that, only the rich will get married..lol
I'm talking about the normal expectation of most owman..if its like ris low expectation, i rather be single and spent the money for myself only.

Old 6th May 2010, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts

I believe planning ahead for the family is important.

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
*StarDust* is offline   Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
WangWJ is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's getting more and more X to raise children nowadays...

WangWJ is offline   Add to WangWJ's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Emosan
Emolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to behold

Liked 154 Times in 109 Posts

I am barely surviving myself not to mention wife or baby

Emolisher is offline   Add to Emolisher's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
the world is my bed and the sky is my blanket
xiaoming01 is just really nicexiaoming01 is just really nicexiaoming01 is just really nice

Liked 147 Times in 123 Posts

not only this, u can only choose between a house and a baby. all my married friends are grumbling that a house is so expensive that if a baby where to come before they finish paying for the house, their parents would be too poor to provide for them. making a family is as good as going into a life time of debts that by the time u finish paying for everything, your head would be full of white hair. whats more your great great grand children would be living in your house because flats are so expensive that they can't even affort to pay for one.

xiaoming01 is offline   Add to xiaoming01's Reputation Reply With Quote