First job and alrdy wanted to change job? - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Workplace and Business Forum » First job and alrdy wanted to change job?

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2014, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
aventador28 is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First job and alrdy wanted to change job?

Is it considered to be acceptable if a person quits his or her first job after around 1 to 2 months and changes to another job that's totally different industry? Will it reflect badly to their future employers?

Sponsors:
Add to aventador28's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Matsuri will become famous soon enough

Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts

Originally Posted by aventador28 View Post
Is it considered to be acceptable if a person quits his or her first job after around 1 to 2 months and changes to another job that's totally different industry? Will it reflect badly to their future employers?
If you can justify it, why not.

Matsuri is offline   Add to Matsuri's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
RelicDemon12 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 46 Times in 39 Posts
Re: First job and alrdy wanted to change job?

I imagine it would be. First, it shows that you don't really know what you want and what you are getting into. Second, I think 1-2 months is too short to be able to judge ur compatibility with a job. It would show that you are pretty hasty in making decisions (you probably barely learnt the ropes after 1-2 months).

Of course, as matsuri pointed out, if you have a convincing and compelling reason why you left then it is acceptable. But a 'this job is not for me' will not cut it. Why not give urself more time?

RelicDemon12 is offline   Add to RelicDemon12's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts

I wanted to quit my 1st job within a month, reason being it is not something I expected and given the job nature, I am literally wasting my time and not learning much.

But I still carried on for a few more months before tendering my resignation.

christmas_ is offline   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by christmas_:
aventador28 (14th December 2014)
Old 10th December 2014, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts

if it's just once, it shld be fine. but just know that if you do it again for the next job, then it will be quite a different message you are sending. So look at it as your 'chance' cards. The more you use up now, the worse it gets for you in future.

My advice for you is to stay with it a little longer and try to speak to your boss and see if something can be done to improve things in the workplace. If really cannot tahan, then leave. But it means that it will be harder for you to leave your next job if it happens to suck even worse.

Old 11th December 2014, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
New SGClubber
shampoocurry is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when i did my first job, I also wanted to quit within the first month.
It was a project-centered job, I still stayed at the place until the project was done(about 5 months). According to my friends, who has been in HR position and worked for head hunting company for many years, she suggested young people either quit your job within your training period(in TW, it is usually 3 months), either you stay for at least longer than 1 year even though you do not really like the job. She said any working experience within month to year make HR hesitate and doubt the candidate.

shampoocurry is offline   Add to shampoocurry's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Robin van Persie ♥
WhiteSpade is a name known to allWhiteSpade is a name known to allWhiteSpade is a name known to allWhiteSpade is a name known to all

Liked 337 Times in 278 Posts

What's the reason for you wanting to change job?

If your first job is 1/2 months, don't even have to include it in your resume.

Old 11th December 2014, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Account Suspended
Norah Maynard is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Think things through. If you cannot handle it then, you might as well go. But if a prospective employer sees the short amount of time you spent in a previous company,then it will be questioned during an interview.Just try to explain though.

Norah Maynard is offline   Add to Norah Maynard's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteSpade View Post

is there such a rule? basically, you can leave out anything you don't want to mention isn't it?

Old 11th December 2014, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
ilold has a spectacular aura about

Liked 40 Times in 34 Posts

too short will definitely reflect badly on you unless you have extraordinary circumstances.

Old 14th December 2014, 11:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick View Post
if it's just once, it shld be fine. but just know that if you do it again for the next job, then it will be quite a different message you are sending. So look at it as your 'chance' cards. The more you use up now, the worse it gets for you in future.

My advice for you is to stay with it a little longer and try to speak to your boss and see if something can be done to improve things in the workplace. If really cannot tahan, then leave. But it means that it will be harder for you to leave your next job if it happens to suck even worse.
I see...currently i'm still holding on to it to see if my perspective of my job will change along the way. So far it's been almost 2 months into it.

Originally Posted by shampoocurry View Post
when i did my first job, I also wanted to quit within the first month.
It was a project-centered job, I still stayed at the place until the project was done(about 5 months). According to my friends, who has been in HR position and worked for head hunting company for many years, she suggested young people either quit your job within your training period(in TW, it is usually 3 months), either you stay for at least longer than 1 year even though you do not really like the job. She said any working experience within month to year make HR hesitate and doubt the candidate.
My current job in fact is project-based. And what i plan was to stay till the project has at least completed its middle stage before leaving if i really intend to. 'cause what's making me stay is its benefits.

Not really learning much. And then during the midst of working in my job, I thought to myself that I've decided not to work in this industry in the long run and to make a jump to another industry. Apparently i heard from one of my friends saying that you could leave out jobs that you did only 1 to 2 months. (But obviously it can't be all the times but maybe only 1 to 2 times at most.)

aventador28 is offline   Add to aventador28's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Robin van Persie ♥
WhiteSpade is a name known to allWhiteSpade is a name known to allWhiteSpade is a name known to allWhiteSpade is a name known to all

I see...currently i'm still holding on to it to see if my perspective of my job will change along the way. So far it's been almost 2 months into it.

My current job in fact is project-based. And what i plan was to stay till the project has at least completed its middle stage before leaving if i really intend to. 'cause what's making me stay is its benefits.

Not really learning much. And then during the midst of working in my job, I thought to myself that I've decided not to work in this industry in the long run and to make a jump to another industry. Apparently i heard from one of my friends saying that you could leave out jobs that you did only 1 to 2 months. (But obviously it can't be all the times but maybe only 1 to 2 times at most.)
Just curious - what job is it? what line are you currently in and what industry are you planning to change to? If you're still young, take the time to think over what you really wanna do in future. Only then you'll have no regrets.

If it's a project based job, leaving halfway might not be too good..

Old 15th December 2014, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just curious - what job is it? what line are you currently in and what industry are you planning to change to? If you're still young, take the time to think over what you really wanna do in future. Only then you'll have no regrets.

I'm currently working in the engineering industry. And planning jump over to business field like marketing, etc. My folks are telling me not to change since their pay is good and

Old 15th December 2014, 04:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm currently working in the engineering industry. And planning jump over to business field like marketing, etc. My folks are like telling me not to change since their pay and benefits is good.

Old 15th December 2014, 05:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Robin van Persie ♥

I'm currently working in the engineering industry. And planning jump over to business field like marketing, etc. My folks are like telling me not to change since their pay and benefits is good.
Two different fields.... I guess you have to consider different factors like

passion vs salary. Which of these two are more important to you?

Old 15th December 2014, 05:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lemon Breeland
poop is just really nicepoop is just really nice

Liked 176 Times in 142 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick View Post
is there such a rule? basically, you can leave out anything you don't want to mention isn't it?
Its a gray area. It is of course a no no if you pad your resume. Like you claim you have a PhD in Mathematics from Harvard when you only have O Levels from Si Ling Secondary School. But leaving out short term employment status...ummm I don't know. I never tried it, but I imagine its better than lying. Yeah.

poop is offline   Add to poop's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 10:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Firewind is on a distinguished road

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

1 or 2 months is too short if you want to use the job in your resume. I would recommend sticking around for a year. But if you wanna jump from engineering to business, some retraining needs to be done as well...

Firewind is offline   Add to Firewind's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 04:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
ilold has a spectacular aura about

Liked 40 Times in 34 Posts

Originally Posted by poop View Post
Its a gray area. It is of course a no no if you pad your resume. Like you claim you have a PhD in Mathematics from Harvard when you only have O Levels from Si Ling Secondary School. But leaving out short term employment status...ummm I don't know. I never tried it, but I imagine its better than lying. Yeah.
there shouldn't be any issue with leaving it out. but if they ask about the time frame which is the period you were in that job you better tell the truth.

Old 16th December 2014, 05:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Robin van Persie ♥

So what's your decision? Have you made one yet?

Are you willing to stay for another 9-10 months in the current job?

This article might provide you some insight on your situation: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/wo...ght-career.htm

Last edited by WhiteSpade; 16th December 2014 at 05:15 PM.
WhiteSpade is offline   Add to WhiteSpade's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 06:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So what's your decision? Have you made one yet?

Are you willing to stay for another 9-10 months in the current job?

This article might provide you some insight on your situation: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/wo...ght-career.htm
I don't think i can last till 9 to 10 months in my current job. Read through your article and was pretty helpful in fact. I think i will have to keep a lookout now for other jobs already then while i'm still in my current job.