TP Game and Design Development - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life > Course Module Reviews » TP: Game and Design Development

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2014, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
cloud9 is on a distinguished road

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Game and Design Development

Originally hoped to do a purely animation centric course but TP don't have that now, and I had to pick TP as it was closest to my house. Still thrilled to be studying on 3D gaming, but I have to say the first few sems were boring and consisted mostly of database/networking and a bit of computing math. Then you start with game modeling and that's where the fun begins. For my elective I took 3D game design where game scripting was a pain. Overall it was a great course and gives you an excellent footwork to progress onto further education in the field.

Sponsors:

Last edited by maverick; 31st July 2014 at 10:11 AM.
Add to cloud9's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by cloud9:
maverick (31st July 2014)
Old 31st July 2014, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
earth2eternity is on a distinguished road

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: My experience in TP's Game and Design Development

In what way was the scripting difficult? Has it got something to do with maths?

earth2eternity is offline   Add to earth2eternity's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
DaWei is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: My experience in TP's Game and Design Development

Well I am from an older, now defunct course called Internet and Multimedia Dev, and yes math is quite a handful but its not the only thing troubling about scripting. There's also the frustration of not being able to find what went wrong when functions don't work.

DaWei is offline   Add to DaWei's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
AnnBaker is on a distinguished road

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Game and Design Development

food for thought -
http://forums.salary.sg/education-pe...ead-first.html

Last edited by AnnBaker; 1st August 2014 at 08:53 AM.
AnnBaker is offline   Add to AnnBaker's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
fireblue560 is on a distinguished road

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

By the end of the course, how skilled would you say you've become? what kind of position would you be able to take in a game production company?

fireblue560 is offline   Add to fireblue560's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Clew is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Poly grads skill level can differ greatly depending on how much interest they have and how much effort they put in learning. Some graduate only being able to do basic scripting and modeling. You have to be very good in at least one aspect to land yourself a job in the first place.

Old 6th August 2014, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pushémon
Aiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to behold

Liked 349 Times in 281 Posts

I would advise you to specialize in one field if you're keen in this path.

Most of my coursemates ended up doing something else after graduation because the skills we have are insufficient to enter into the industry. Portfolio matters.

Aiyilin is offline   Add to Aiyilin's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Clew is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aiyilin View Post

Most of my coursemates ended up doing something else after graduation because the skills we have are insufficient to enter into the industry. Portfolio matters.
i feel what you say is right.focus on one thing rather than many things.when you confuse yourself,people in your surrounding will be confused by you..furthermore,it is not easy to multitask.

Old 21st November 2014, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
fireblue560 is on a distinguished road

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aiyilin View Post

it is not a common industry to see such unique jobs out there..comparing game design and business,which kind of work can you find easily in the working world?i believe game design can be done as a side job..never a full time but just a part-time for extra pocket money..however,if you are really good in it,i feel you can join companies like Electronic Arts to pursue far in life

fireblue560 is offline   Add to fireblue560's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
New SGClubber
aatrox97lol is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am currently studying in the game design and development course. Actually so far still ok. but maths must confirm study. the game subjects are really good. also the lecturers always will ask you to think about making games.i know some of my friends in teh course already work with industry and have friends who were attached to Ubisoft.

aatrox97lol is offline   Add to aatrox97lol's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 11:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Asehrzxz Lee is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I feel I want to get into the TP course for games becuase I heard it is very good but I heard not many places how can I check how many spaces they have?

Asehrzxz Lee is offline   Add to Asehrzxz Lee's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 10:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
BadBrains is on a distinguished road

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Asehrzxz Lee View Post
I feel I want to get into the TP course for games becuase I heard it is very good but I heard not many places how can I check how many spaces they have?
learning game design is never easy..thousands of codings just to solve a game and make it work smoothly..it is not like playing game..most people thought game design is ok..but the fact of it being hard is unbearable

BadBrains is offline   Add to BadBrains's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 05:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Loonx is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm from Year 1, this exact course but i'm changing course soon.
In Year 1, the things you will be learning are very generic. Seldom of the module focus on games. Think twice before coming into this course. Programming and Designing ain't easy at all. Games industry isn't good too. It's not easy to get into Ubisoft or Electronic Arts

Loonx is offline   Add to Loonx's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by Loonx:
maverick (15th January 2015)
Old 14th January 2015, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts

Do consider on the real career prospects in this area here in SG...

christmas_ is offline   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 03:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
BeautyConscious is on a distinguished road

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Originally Posted by christmas_ View Post
Do consider on the real career prospects in this area here in SG...
there is good prospects but there is very little field for development in singapore for game design..most of the successful companies are in overseas..it is very hard to succeed for game design here.

BeautyConscious is offline   Add to BeautyConscious's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 11:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Loonx View Post
I'm from Year 1, this exact course but i'm changing course soon.
In Year 1, the things you will be learning are very generic. Seldom of the module focus on games. Think twice before coming into this course. Programming and Designing ain't easy at all. Games industry isn't good too. It's not easy to get into Ubisoft or Electronic Arts
Do you think you can share a little more on the types of courses you covered in year 1? Think it will be really helpful for those considering this course to understand better what is expected. And why do you say it is difficult?

Old 15th January 2015, 01:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Loonx is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sure, i can tell you a lot. But all of these are only in my own opinion.
Honestly, in this course, whatever you learn in Year 1 are not really useful other than programming (C#,C++).
You will also learn CMSK (Communication Skills) for 4 semester. This is useful as well but nobody thinks that way.
In Semester 1, What you will learn includes Computer Architecture (CARC)(This teaches you all about Computers and how Computers works), Data Communication and Networking (DCNK)(This teaches you about a software called Cisco Packet Tracer and other IPv4/IPv6). You will also learn CMaths 1 (IMO Very very very easy). Introduction to Computer Games (INCG)(Pointless + Useless module IMO). Introduction to Computer (ICOM)(You don't have to attend lessons, just read through the slides and answer the quiz.) Human Computer Interaction (HCI)(This teaches you all about User Interface and stuffs). Problem Solving and Programming (PRSP)(This teaches you basic C++)(Very important).

In Semester 2 (the current semester i'm taking). You will learn Game Design (You will probably think this is about designing a game or using some software to design a game right? Answer = NOOOOO. You will need to think about the game you want to create and write a Pitch Document and Game Design Document on your own. The Game Design Document waste a lot a lot a lot of your time. (40-60 Pages). You will learn Object-Oriented Programming (OOPG)(Very important, In C++ language). You learn Database Information System (DBIS)(Not sure why do we have to learn that but this is quite okay). You will learn Data Structure and Algorithm (DSAG)(C#)(I think this may be quite important). CMaths 2 (Quite easy).

Why do i feel that this course is difficult? For me in semester 1, i have to totally drag my project-mates through. They provide shitty work and i have to keep on editing for them. (ONLY IF YOU HAVE THOSE GROUP MATE THAT DO NOT WANT TO DO WORK, THERE'S ALWAYS THIS KIND OF PEOPLE IN EACH CLASS.) The number of projects are a lot. In semester 1 you will have like 15-20 projects/report/documents? (Compare to some other school, they have much lesser).

This industry is not good in Singapore. (Honest opinion).

In year 1, you won't feel u learn much about games, you won't even learn any software to create game. I believe they will teach us next semester but i think that this is too late. It other school right, they learn all the important stuff in year 1 but we don't, so this is a very big disadvantage. Can't join any competition till perhaps year 2.

If you are thinking that you love to play game only don't join this course. This course is about creating games, not playing games. You will have tons of classmates who love to play game and this may somehow affect your projects and stuffs (if they don't do their assignment).

Finally, creating a game isn't easy, it is a team effort. You either have to be good at Programming (IMO very difficult for me) or Designing (i believe you have to work a lot on documents and stuffs?).

Good luck to you in this course!

Last edited by Loonx; 15th January 2015 at 01:25 PM.
Loonx is offline   Add to Loonx's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 09:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pushémon
Aiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to behold

Liked 349 Times in 281 Posts

Originally Posted by fireblue560 View Post
it is not a common industry to see such unique jobs out there..comparing game design and business,which kind of work can you find easily in the working world?i believe game design can be done as a side job..never a full time but just a part-time for extra pocket money..however,if you are really good in it,i feel you can join companies like Electronic Arts to pursue far in life
Omo this thread is still alive.

Actually, there are a couple of game companies in Singapore but I think most of them prefer people with experiences. Nobody hires Game Designers whom do not have prior experience.

I think if you are keen in this field, it will be more feasible to find a job as a programmer, 2D/3D artist.

If you do not have any art or programming skills, you can be a Game Master like me now aka Customer Support.

EA and all the other good companies should be quite hard to get into.

And from my knowledge, the game industry is actually earning a lot. My company earns millions just with one game title within a month.

Aiyilin is offline   Add to Aiyilin's Reputation Reply With Quote