George Young - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Leisure & Entertainment > Movies Singapore > Singapore Actresses/Actors » George Young

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

Comment

LinkBack Celebrity Tools Display Modes
George Young
George Young
Published by korean_fan
12th September 2014

George Young (simplified Chinese: 吴宇卫; traditional Chinese: 吳宇衛; pinyin: W˙ Yǔ WŔi, also known as "George Ng"; was born in the UK on 29 February 1980) and is a Eurasian, of European and Asian descent. Mr. Young is an actor, host and writer.

The eldest of four brothers, George was born on Leap Year's Day in London, England to a Malaysian Chinese father and Greek Cypriot mother. He was educated at Winchester College and studied acting in New York before receiving his degree in Psychology from the University of Southampton, and then a law degree at the University of Westminster and The College of Law. Although George completed his solicitor traineeships in the City of London law firm, and is a fully qualified solicitor for the Supreme Court of England and Wales, he gave this up to pursue his love of acting.

George began his career in entertainment in England, appearing in BBC's Casualty (TV series) and subsequently filming his first feature role in the Bollywood film Jhootha Hi Sahi. After filming several TV commercials in Taiwan and Thailand, and a music video with Ariel Lin, George made an appearance on Discovery Communications' Travel and Living Channel, taking a guest co-hosting spot alongside Janet Hsieh on the show Fun Taiwan. He has subsequently been credited as a script writer for the show.

In 2011, George hosted Million Dollar Money Drop: Singapore Edition which premiered on National Day (Singapore) on MediaCorp Channel 5. Both the show and George Young trended worldwide on the social network and micro-blogging site Twitter shortly after the show first aired.

In the same year, George starred in the second series of The Pupil (TV series) as new pupil Benjamin Wong. The season premiered on 18 August 2011. In 2012, after studying Mandarin for less than a year, George filmed two Mediacorp Mandarin-language dramas concurrently: Yours Fatefully (simplified Chinese: 孤男寡女) and Joys of Life (simplified Chinese: 花样人间), for MediaCorp Channel 8.

George is managed in Singapore by Fly Entertainment. In addition to his charity work, George has also fronted two government-funded youth campaigns: the anti-drug campaign Dance Works! 2012, sponsored by Central Narcotics Bureau in Singapore, and the Health Promotion Board in Singapore's Bounce Back Stronger campaign for youth resilience.

Movie Rating
HotnessN/A
0 users rated N/A% average

Latest 5 celebrities

Celebrity Tools
Sponsors

By korean_fan on 12th September 2014, 03:19 PM
Default Re: George Young

S'pore based actor George Young reveals why he tagged PM Lee in the Ice Bucket Challenge

HBO Asia will be releasing its third original production, Grace, this year. The four-part horror mini-series centres on a family man with a dark secret that threatens the lives of his family.

Featuring a cast of Asian actors such as Singapore-based British actor-host George Young and Constance Song, Chinese-American Russell Wong, and Los Angeles-based Singaporean Pamelyn Chee, Grace was filmed almost entirely in Singapore. The series will premiere on HBO on Oct 17. The New Paper spoke to Young, 34.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT THE ROLE YOU PLAY IN GRACE, COMPARED WITH YOUR PREVIOUS ROLES?

This show is more of an ensemble piece. It has more family drama. It would be the first time I’m in a role where I’m a family man.

My character is married to the eldest daughter in the Chan family.

It was all about the timing actually, because at this point in my life, I’m thinking that maybe I want to settle down with a family myself — and this role was dabbling into it.

Although the outcome in this series might differ from what my real life might turn out to be, it was a great combination of the timing and the role itself.

HOW DID YOU PREPARE FOR THIS ROLE?

It was really just bringing in experiences in terms of my long-term relationships.

But for the part about living with an external family, like with the in-laws, it was something I couldn’t prepare myself for.

I went in without much preparation, because you are not prepared for the twists and turns that would happen in the show.

It’s something unexpected, so you let that happen to yourself — which is why in terms of preparations, it was all just real-life experiences.

WHAT DID YOU LEARN FROM YOUR CAST MEMBERS IN GRACE?

I learnt a lot from everyone. All of them have such talent.

I mean, we have Russell Wong here, who is a legend — he hates it when I tell people, I’m sure.

But he’s someone I have always looked up to because he’s of a similar mix to me, and he made it in Hollywood, but he still comes over to do stuff in Asia.

When it was time for both of us to get into the ring, to actually do a scene together, I learnt from him whenever I could.

We also have new people coming in, like Jean Toh, who plays my wife in the show. She has done a fantastic performance.

It’s really great when we have someone like that who is of a certain level, and we could work together and be absolutely comfortable with each other in the scenes, making it very real.

LET’S TALK ABOUT THE ALS ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE YOU DID LAST MONTH. DID YOU HAVE AN IDEA OF WHO YOU WANTED TO TAG IN THE VIDEO?

(He had tagged Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, among others.)

It was the ice talking for sure, but I had an idea about the people I wanted to tag.

There was Rebecca Lim, but a couple of people had already tagged her, so I had a space open for someone.

It made sense to tag someone who was at the top, and that was all that was in my mind at that time when tagging people for the challenge.

DO YOU THINK CHALLENGES LIKE THESE HELP RAISE AWARENESS FOR CHARITABLE ORGANISATIONS?

It’s a good way to use social media. If you have got any sort of following, that is what you should use it for.

I mean, yeah, we can take pictures of food for social media — I’m guilty of doing it.

But why not use it for a good cause?

This article was published on Sep 3 in The New Paper.

http://www.lollipop.sg/content/spore...cket-challenge
Comment

Celebrity Tools