Good dancing may be sign of male health, scientists say - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Miscellaneous Interests > Dance Forums » Good dancing may be sign of male health, scientists say

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2010, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fgfmse is on a distinguished road

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Good dancing may be sign of male health, scientists say

Scientists say they've carried out the first rigorous analysis of dance moves that make men attractive to women.

The researchers say that movements associated with good dancing may be indicative of good health and reproductive potential.

Their findings are published in the Royal Society journal Biology Letters.

"When you go out to clubs people have an intuitive understanding of what makes a good and bad dancer," said co-author Dr Nick Neave, an evolutionary psychologist at Northumbria University, UK.

"What we've done for the very first time is put those things together with a biometric analysis so we can actually calculate very precisely the kinds of movements people focus on and associate them with women's ratings of male dancers."

Dr Neave asked young men who were not professional dancers, to dance in a laboratory to a very basic drum rhythm and their movements with 12 cameras.

These movements were then converted into a computer-generated cartoon - an avatar - which women rated on a scale of one to seven. He was surprised by the results.

"We thought that people's arms and legs would be really important. The kind of expressive gestures the hands [make], for example. But in fact this was not the case," he said.

We found that (women paid more attention to) the core body region: the torso, the neck, the head. It was not just the speed of the movements, it was also the variability of the movement. So someone who is twisting, bending, moving, nodding."

Movements that went down terribly were twitchy and repetitive - so called "Dad dancing".

Dr Neave's aim was to establish whether young men exhibited the same courtship movement rituals in night clubs as animals do in the wild. In the case of animals, these movements give information about their health, age, their reproductive potential and their hormone status.

"People go to night clubs to show off and attract the opposite sex so I think it's a valid way of doing this," Dr Neave explained.

"In animals, the male has to be in good physical quality to carry out these movements. We think the same is happening in humans and certainly the guys that can put these movements together are going to be young and fit and healthy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11223473

>>> refer to web for video for clearer understanding

Sponsors:

Last edited by fgfmse; 9th September 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Add to fgfmse's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Emosan
Emolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to behold

Liked 154 Times in 109 Posts
Re: Good dancing may be sign of male health, scientists say

Hmm.. i must get my body moving then

Emolisher is offline   Add to Emolisher's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
weightp is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i believe dancing is a form of good exercise too, when you dance your blood will also flow well..

weightp is offline   Add to weightp's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
New SGClubber
NatashaStudio is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

we have to factor one VERY important point in this survey, that the survey was done on a group who are human, which means they will fantasize! lol

Faceless avatars all dancing, true. but if i see an avatar dancing, i will relate the movements it did to maybe a cute dancer that i saw on an mtv? being as such, it means that this survey is not fool-proof and that its results might even be null.

if a face is added into it, i wouldnt look at a unhealthy-looking ungroom man dancing nicely, compared to a very cute guy who's tryin to dancing but he's very stiff. i mean come on, cute guy dancing? i won't even care what he is moving, so long as he's cute, whatever he does is cute as well