H2 Maths - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life > Math Help » H2 Maths

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2012, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
zufarsk8 will become famous soon enough

 
Posts: 325
Join Date: Mar 2010
Likes: 4
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Gender:

H2 Maths

Hey guys i recently got back my results for my midyears. so this was my grade BDU/A
i am a PCME student and so far all my other results excluding Maths is doing well.
I need tips on maths. I do my tutorial ( sometimes ) and try my best to always pay attention in lecture but i still got a U for my Maths. Any tips on how to do well for Maths? Its really demoralising

Sponsors:
zufarsk8 is offline  
Add to zufarsk8's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
squall56302 has a spectacular aura about

 
squall56302's Avatar
 
Posts: 659
Join Date: Feb 2009
Likes: 6
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Originally Posted by zufarsk8 View Post
Hey guys i recently got back my results for my midyears. so this was my grade BDU/A
i am a PCME student and so far all my other results excluding Maths is doing well.
I need tips on maths. I do my tutorial ( sometimes ) and try my best to always pay attention in lecture but i still got a U for my Maths. Any tips on how to do well for Maths? Its really demoralising
Well, there's the problem (Refering to the bold part).

Mathematics is really all about practising over and over again. In fact if you ask me, if you practise a lot, you don't even have to care about paying attention in lecture. The really good maths students mainly heck the teacher and just go on on his/her tutorials, practise papers, ten-year series and so on.

To start off, seek help from your teacher or another really good maths student. It is best if you look for them after you tried and know what you do NOT know about to solve the problem.

Constantly look for problems and problems to solve from above said practise items. That aims to strengthen your fundamentals while giving you more experience of how questions can be challenging in what aspects.

Used to be a constant E, but practising and practising got me to a A at finals. Keep trying.

__________________
Current short-term goal: Complete Witcher 1.
squall56302 is offline   Add to squall56302's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
.Memo will become famous soon enough

 
.Memo's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,601
Join Date: Nov 2010
Likes: 10
Liked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

1) Complete your tutorial before lesson. Always.
2) Listen in lecture.
3) Practice some extra questions *from TYS/revision package*
4) Any questions - Seek consultation or Just post it in Math Help. We have few friendly JC people here to help you around.

__________________
Back in action

Last edited by .Memo; 7th July 2012 at 10:33 PM.
.Memo is offline   Add to .Memo's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
zufarsk8 will become famous soon enough

 
Posts: 325
Join Date: Mar 2010
Likes: 4
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Originally Posted by squall56302 View Post
Well, there's the problem (Refering to the bold part).

Mathematics is really all about practising over and over again. In fact if you ask me, if you practise a lot, you don't even have to care about paying attention in lecture. The really good maths students mainly heck the teacher and just go on on his/her tutorials, practise papers, ten-year series and so on.

To start off, seek help from your teacher or another really good maths student. It is best if you look for them after you tried and know what you do NOT know about to solve the problem.

Constantly look for problems and problems to solve from above said practise items. That aims to strengthen your fundamentals while giving you more experience of how questions can be challenging in what aspects.

Used to be a constant E, but practising and practising got me to a A at finals. Keep trying.
haha yeah the bold words... not that i dont want to do .. sometimes i prioritise my other subjects and i tot with Amaths and Emaths i would ease through amaths but i guess i was wrong....

Its really difficult to get to my tutors as i have to book consltations and they might not be able to meet sometime or always last minute changes. I started private tuition so i will have an accest to a tutor.

haha at least u pass omg im so demoralised now...

zufarsk8 is offline   Add to zufarsk8's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jack Wilshere ❤
aforl is a splendid one to beholdaforl is a splendid one to beholdaforl is a splendid one to beholdaforl is a splendid one to beholdaforl is a splendid one to behold

 
aforl's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,043
Join Date: Jan 2010
Likes: 270
Liked 372 Times in 288 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Time to do something then.

Find a weekend or two, set everything else aside. And read your lecture notes thoroughly, word by word. After you think you finally understand some sense, go try some questions. Refer to the examples and see how they solve some standard type of questions. Then attempt more and more questions. Learn from there how the steps and formulas are applied. Make sure mistakes are not made, don't make careless mistakes cause its very frustrating.

Prepare to spend lots of time and effort. It might be difficult but possible. Start now, the more backlogs the harder it is to catch up. Everything else is not as important as studies, tell yourself this.

Any questions that stumped you, keep trying even if it takes you 2 hours for a question. Do post your questions (take a photo of it or somehow) here if you meet with any difficulties. We'll always try to help if possible.

__________________
생각하는중...

Last edited by aforl; 7th July 2012 at 10:53 PM.
aforl is offline   Add to aforl's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Betakuwe has a spectacular aura about

 
Betakuwe's Avatar
 
Posts: 874
Join Date: Sep 2010
Likes: 6
Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Like others have said, you should practise. But before you do that, make sure that you understand the reasoning behind every and any single concept, result, or formulae. A good practice is to prove to yourself why a certain concept/formula is true, that way, you'll understand it better and it'll be more imprinted into your brain. Sometimes, some things pretty much require no effort at all to remember, because you already understood the reasoning and you have the intuition as to why it is true. Then, when you are doing a question, the concept the question is testing you on will become clear to you much easily.

And of course, you can always use the Math Help section whenever you have a question or you don't understand a certain concept.

__________________
Are you ready to get serious?

Last edited by Betakuwe; 7th July 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Betakuwe is offline   Add to Betakuwe's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fathernature is a jewel in the roughfathernature is a jewel in the rough

 
fathernature's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,828
Join Date: Dec 2007
Likes: 19
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

woah. i found someone facing e same trouble as me... i took 5 hours to understand whole of AP. dun laugh..
and i still cant do it during exam

__________________
eh eh eh !!! =O
+ rep sia! If i help u lurhs (^_^)V

http://soundcloud.com/fathernature
www.youtube.com/xiiaoxuuesheng
fathernature is offline   Add to fathernature's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
.Memo will become famous soon enough

 
.Memo's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,601
Join Date: Nov 2010
Likes: 10
Liked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Originally Posted by fathernature View Post
woah. i found someone facing e same trouble as me... i took 5 hours to understand whole of AP. dun laugh..
and i still cant do it during exam
APGP can de lah.
In fact, I like to do APGP qns. hahas. just post it in Math Help lor. *Should be the first one to help *

__________________
Back in action
.Memo is offline   Add to .Memo's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 12:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
zufarsk8 will become famous soon enough

 
Posts: 325
Join Date: Mar 2010
Likes: 4
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

damn im super lost very demoralising !!! OMG !!! i quit CCA for studies alr ...
Haha i bet O level students will see this thread and shun away from JC ( PLEASE DONT ) JC is awesome !!!

zufarsk8 is offline   Add to zufarsk8's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 12:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fathernature is a jewel in the roughfathernature is a jewel in the rough

 
fathernature's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,828
Join Date: Dec 2007
Likes: 19
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

i cant quit cca... i am in students' council btw.. so many events T_T

@memo: I cant post.... copyright issues like teachers raise e issue alr

__________________
eh eh eh !!! =O
+ rep sia! If i help u lurhs (^_^)V

http://soundcloud.com/fathernature
www.youtube.com/xiiaoxuuesheng
fathernature is offline   Add to fathernature's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 12:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
.Memo will become famous soon enough

 
.Memo's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,601
Join Date: Nov 2010
Likes: 10
Liked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Originally Posted by fathernature View Post
i cant quit cca... i am in students' council btw.. so many events T_T

@memo: I cant post.... copyright issues like teachers raise e issue alr
what copyright issues
Got questions => Ask lor.

__________________
Back in action
.Memo is offline   Add to .Memo's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 01:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Betakuwe has a spectacular aura about

 
Betakuwe's Avatar
 
Posts: 874
Join Date: Sep 2010
Likes: 6
Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Originally Posted by fathernature View Post
i cant quit cca... i am in students' council btw.. so many events T_T

@memo: I cant post.... copyright issues like teachers raise e issue alr
How is it a copyright issue, you are asking a question, not publishing one.

__________________
Are you ready to get serious?
Betakuwe is offline   Add to Betakuwe's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 01:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fathernature is a jewel in the roughfathernature is a jewel in the rough

 
fathernature's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,828
Join Date: Dec 2007
Likes: 19
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

idk . that time i took pic of my chem assignment, post fb, got caught .

__________________
eh eh eh !!! =O
+ rep sia! If i help u lurhs (^_^)V

http://soundcloud.com/fathernature
www.youtube.com/xiiaoxuuesheng
fathernature is offline   Add to fathernature's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 01:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Betakuwe has a spectacular aura about

 
Betakuwe's Avatar
 
Posts: 874
Join Date: Sep 2010
Likes: 6
Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Originally Posted by fathernature View Post
idk . that time i took pic of my chem assignment, post fb, got caught .
Well then I think you should ASK the question, not upload a pic of the question.

__________________
Are you ready to get serious?

Last edited by Betakuwe; 8th July 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Betakuwe is offline   Add to Betakuwe's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 02:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fathernature is a jewel in the roughfathernature is a jewel in the rough

 
fathernature's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,828
Join Date: Dec 2007
Likes: 19
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

haha true i haven start studying math

__________________
eh eh eh !!! =O
+ rep sia! If i help u lurhs (^_^)V

http://soundcloud.com/fathernature
www.youtube.com/xiiaoxuuesheng
fathernature is offline   Add to fathernature's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 09:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Honesty is a virtue~
Tetrahedron is a jewel in the roughTetrahedron is a jewel in the rough

 
Tetrahedron's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,519
Join Date: Sep 2010
Likes: 16
Liked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Gender:


I am a frequent helper in Math. So I should be of some help for you.

First things first. You do realise that this time round, you failed because you underestimated Mathematics. However once bitten twice shy isn't it?


Another thing, you only can justify not listening to the lecture if you could do the following:

Understand every single part of the lecture notes.
Know how to start with the tutorial.

If you cannot do this, forget it. Just listen during lecture.


Last thing, usually you should revise in 3 stages:
1. Practice with notes as reference.
2. Practice without notes.
3. Timed practice.

At least that would work for me.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk 2

__________________
Currently just a wanderer...
Tetrahedron is offline   Add to Tetrahedron's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
zufarsk8 will become famous soon enough

 
Posts: 325
Join Date: Mar 2010
Likes: 4
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Originally Posted by Tetrahedron View Post
I am a frequent helper in Math. So I should be of some help for you.

First things first. You do realise that this time round, you failed because you underestimated Mathematics. However once bitten twice shy isn't it?


Another thing, you only can justify not listening to the lecture if you could do the following:

Understand every single part of the lecture notes.
Know how to start with the tutorial.

If you cannot do this, forget it. Just listen during lecture.


Last thing, usually you should revise in 3 stages:
1. Practice with notes as reference.
2. Practice without notes.
3. Timed practice.

At least that would work for me.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk 2
damn i find it hard to like grasp most concept. like my tutorial ask one way then questions like never see before ( like the deeper parts of question like Q2biii for example...)
but in actual fact its what i have learnt just tweak a little but the way they ask is ....
Why cant they just be straight foward... OMG i prefer damn asking " Find x" haizzzz

Any books to reccomend? guide book

zufarsk8 is offline   Add to zufarsk8's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 01:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Betakuwe has a spectacular aura about

 
Betakuwe's Avatar
 
Posts: 874
Join Date: Sep 2010
Likes: 6
Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Originally Posted by zufarsk8 View Post
damn i find it hard to like grasp most concept. like my tutorial ask one way then questions like never see before ( like the deeper parts of question like Q2biii for example...)
but in actual fact its what i have learnt just tweak a little but the way they ask is ....
Why cant they just be straight foward... OMG i prefer damn asking " Find x" haizzzz

Any books to reccomend? guide book
If everything is so straight forward, then the exam won't be testing you on problem solving/critical thinking skills, and then there will also be grade inflation, like how E-maths and A-maths is in O level. Anyway, whenever you struggle at understanding a concept, you can ask in this section.

__________________
Are you ready to get serious?
Betakuwe is offline   Add to Betakuwe's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 02:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
zufarsk8 will become famous soon enough

 
Posts: 325
Join Date: Mar 2010
Likes: 4
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Originally Posted by Betakuwe View Post
If everything is so straight forward, then the exam won't be testing you on problem solving/critical thinking skills, and then there will also be grade inflation, like how E-maths and A-maths is in O level. Anyway, whenever you struggle at understanding a concept, you can ask in this section.
ofcourse...
haha the thing is i dont know what i dont know... so its like i dont know what to ask.. i guess i have to keep preacticing...

zufarsk8 is offline   Add to zufarsk8's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 03:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Honesty is a virtue~
Tetrahedron is a jewel in the roughTetrahedron is a jewel in the rough

 
Tetrahedron's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,519
Join Date: Sep 2010
Likes: 16
Liked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Gender:

Re: H2 Maths

Originally Posted by zufarsk8 View Post
ofcourse...
haha the thing is i dont know what i dont know... so its like i dont know what to ask.. i guess i have to keep preacticing...
This may be the very reason why you failed terribly.

__________________
Currently just a wanderer...
Tetrahedron is offline   Add to Tetrahedron's Reputation Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A level JC H2 maths e book vols for sale on my maths site whitecorp Tuition Services & Educational Supplies 3 6th April 2012 09:37 AM
MATHS SPECIALIST - Achieving 'A' in Maths in the Shortest Possible Time Effortlessly! filomaths Tuition Services & Educational Supplies 0 6th March 2012 11:01 AM
JC H2 Maths, O level A and E Maths, IP and IB Maths Tuition khotl73 Tuition Services & Educational Supplies 0 1st March 2012 01:40 PM
Creating a no nonsense H2 maths bridging portal (for those who did not take A maths in sec school) whitecorp Math Help 0 13th December 2010 12:53 AM
Primary (Eng-Maths-Science) / Secondary (E-Maths/A-Maths/Sci/Chem) / JC Economics Tuition Available tuitiongenius Jobs & Services 0 5th December 2008 12:37 PM

» Sponsors
Watch Free Movies Online
Celebrity Gossip
Food Delivery

» Facebook Fans
» What's Going On?
Title, Username, & Date
Repost comment.
[Maid abuse] Singapore is a very evil and lawless country. There is broad daylight i
Stupid court of appeal gives red light running driver who hit pedestrian 15% discount
Mum's Kitchen Catering and Cherish Delights get licences suspended after nearly 40 people...
[PMD-pedestrian rules] Singapore Court judges are high handed and biased or court rep
Post anything random on this thread.
Ritter Sport chocolate recalled due to undeclared allergen
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
I really hate my mother!!!
Transcend RDF9K2 All-in-One Card Reader
Transcend ESD250C, a portable SSD that’s super classy
How PAP exploited racial differences to impose FASCIST rule over Singapore.
Up to S$7250 of government $ misused for buying each vote in Singapore?
Funky Fields organic vegan spreadable recalled due to 'undisclosed allergen'
100 hawksbill turtles released into the sea after rare hatching on Sentosa
Inspirational Songs
MOH, SFA investigating after 18 typhoid fever cases in 3 weeks
By militarily invading Hong Kong, Xi Jingping is setting in motion, the wheels of nuc
Deng XiaoPing original vision for HKG- China reunification was for the two to unite a
HSA warns against three products
Featured Photos
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by pdsubbu
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by Vikas Dhar
· · ·
Photography
35 photos
36 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28608 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28608 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28608 comments

 

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright© 2004-2013 SGClub.com. All rights reserved.