Having a own web hosting company - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Workplace and Business Forum » Having a own web hosting company

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2010, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
gmshawn is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having a own web hosting company

Hi, this is my 1st tutorial on having a own web hosting company.
Let us begin.....

Have you ever wanted to have you own Web hosting company?
If you do and you want, then this is the tutorial that can help you!

*Part 1 : Domain, Reseller and Billing Software

If you are new at this then you would definetly need a reseller from a reputable company, i have used and been satisfied with Cpanel/WHM so ill be explaining that.

First go to your domain and go to the NAMESERVERS REGISTRATION form/panel and get ready to begin == Now tell your Reseller provider to setup your nameserver ips for your reseller ** Remember UNIQUE nameservers are very very profitable ** Get the IPs for the two nameservers and register them.
( If you have your own server then you would know how to do this )

For example:

I have a domain: domain.com

setup:

ns1.domain.com
ns2.domain.com

Then i go to my WHM Root Panel and add those ns and assigned them IPs, THEN i ADD an 'A' Entry for the assigned ip, now the ns is available for registration and it can be added via the DOMAIN PANEL at your Domain Registrar.

Now do remember you will need a dedicated ip to put all the shared customers on, its better because by doing this no one can look up sites on your server (on main server ip).

Now setup a subdomain for your billing software, as subdomains are much easier to access and give a little bit of that pro look.

And now for the billing software, DO NOT BUY any software at your first try, go for a TRIAL for 30 days and if not satisfied just get anything else , i learned that the hard way...buying a billing system on your first run si not a good choice no matter how much research you do working with the software is totally different.

Ive used ModernBill 30 day FREE Trial and have been learning it alot, and after you have the billing software ready you can work on the template.

Now the reason i save the template for the main site for last is because im not sure what the billing page will be like and now that i know i have a clear vision of what i want..

** Some pointers if you are getting a reseller from a company**

Always get a reseller WITH FANTASTICO + RVSKins
Always get unique nameservers
Only on Dual or Quad processor servers
Check for server load
Look them up for any bad records
Look for blacklisted servers
ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK
Check their TOS for restrictions on content
Also check TOS for server RESOURCE USAGE
Go with established companies only
BUT new comers have empty servers so keep an open mind.

*Part 2 : Market, Sales and Finance

Selling hosting is really really hard if you are new in the business, people automatically assume that you are bogus and have no idea what you are doing, well then you have to prove them wrong.

First step is to make a trust relation with your customers on your main site, make a Team Blog and use only a professional accent while writing it, update it with daily activities include at least 3-4 tweaks or upgrades or server additions.

Now im not try to tell you to lie but you have to ensure your customer's security in SOME way other wise you are just trying to make a quick buck.

Here is the BEST way to start a webhost:

Get at least 4 sales reps
Spread them on Forums such as TEEN FORUMS
Sell hosting at variable prices, dont keep a steady rate at that moment jsut try to charge the most to the high paying and least to unsure.
These specials will stick with you forever.
Try to give out free hosting for 1-6 months after that period tell them that there site has ran out and they should upgrade their account to a paid one.
Now that should get you rolling the right way!

As for your main site always have a LIVE CHAT option because people do not like to email or submit support tickets i know that for a fact.

Support is always a major PLUS on a webhost more support techs = more business.

IF you wish to go solo thats fine too but you should have alot of free time for it.

And here is something you should stick to NEVER FORGET THE NEXT POINT!!

Ok money is always a problem so NEVER depend on your customers to pay for your servers, hope to b reak even and keep a backup plan and here is what YOU should do as a webhost.

To ensure your monthly payments you shoud develop and sell sites as well as domains its the only way you can have a backup plan incase your customers deicde to quite.

It is indeed a full proof plan.

*Part 3 : Money

Something you have to remember "the customer will never pay what YOU want" , if your reseller or server costs 100$ and you plan to sell 10 plans..10$ each to cover your expenses...think again nobody will buy it unless you oversell your *** off like servage.net

IF you oversell then trust me you are digging your own grave…here is a worst case scenario:

Quote:
You bought a 4gb space reseller

You marketed as a 500gb dedi server/s

You sold 50gb space for 5$

You sold 10 accounts and you are now making enough to pay for the reseller

A spike occurs in space usage

Your hosting account is now full

Now your bandwidth is drained

Your customers are furious

Your paypal has 5-9 disputes

You get sued

You gat bashed on forums like this one

You are finished..end of story

Now here is what you should to to make some profit and have a healthy business
GET MONEY!
Now this is the only tried and tested way to get money actually there are 2 but the other one is really really lame and takes longer… now what you should do is DEVELOP sites on normal shared hosting I mean even if you are the brokest person in the world you must have 10$ each month get hosting from hostgator or bluehost or godaddy and develop a site, now do not tell me you don’t want to develop you want to host this is where you are tested if you cant run / build a site how the hell will you run a host?

So just suck it up and get to work – designs – coding and advertise it as much as possible (ONLY FREE ADVERTISING NONE PAID)
If you start going on paid ads you will blow your budget

The best thing to do is either open a proxy site or get money via adsense OR open teen communities have huge traffic then sell the place.

That will give you enough money to get started I suppose, if not then design templates sell for 10$ per template.

OR make articles and sell them on webmaster articles.

Now I will NOT list the url for those webmaster sites because that would be advertising and its against wht policy plus its good for you guys to find such places on your own.

Managing money:
NEVER take your payment dates as a joke if its 1st jan then its 1st jan not the 2nd and not the 3rd
prompt payments to your provider is the only way of getting good services/response.

Always keep a track of your customers and at least 1 week before your payment date make sure that they ARE gonna pay you and not dump you for a cheaper host.

Always stay 20$ ahead of your budget.

Now if you are already a successful host then try to have double of what you are spending and keep enough money for refunds that is if only you offer refunds and for a a certain period only but if you take yearly payments then yea you need to hang on to the money for the whole year not the whole amount just keep deducting each month from it

Notify your customers that their payment is coming up in 1-2 days and they need to pay you or send invoices upto 4 days before their payment dates.

*Part 4 : Hosting Essentials

These are some things you must always practise and mantain through your companys life.

• Support

Reseller:

If you have a reseller with a company then you might need outsoruces support and thats it , it will be the best money you have ever spent, support is everything!
You must always have people online ready to solve peoples problems ofcourse it will cost you but then again it will turn up as a valueable asset!
the sites that i recommend are

http://touchsupport.com

So far no bad review and good service as well.

Dedicated and VPS:

Ok dedicated servers and vps are VERY hard to manage problems you have never ever even heard of will come out of the wazoo and have you in a choke hold
Its really hard securing a dedi server, there are problems that are completely bizarre such as memory and bandwidth leaks.

NEVER go for cheap management its like having a crook do your financial management….your management company is the only thing you can rely on, my personal experience, when I started I used PSM and got hurt bad lost almost 300$...cheap is never the way plus what would your customers think if they knew that you cant even pay for the mantainance of your server? That is certainly not a good picture.

The only company id suggest is:

http://serversupportguys.com

• Refund

ALWAYS keep a refund policy, what your customers pay you is not your allowance that you can spend on whatever comes first online, ALWAYS ALWAYS stay under the impression that the customer wants its money back and be ready with his/her refund, this is not only a full proof plan for your business but also a part of good ethics, and I believe in a COMPLETE REFUND guarantee rather then just 30/60/90 days, if they are unsatisfied with your service for any month offer a full refund for that particular month and resolve whatever it is that they are having problems with.

Remember you are running a company not a scam, the money you get is given to you for a service!

• Advertising/Marketting

For any starting host the best way to advertise is Google Adwords:

http://google.com/adwords/

You must have at least a 100$ budget to get the word around on your host.
Places like our very own WHT is also a great place to get advertising as well

Click the link for more info on advertising here:
http://www.inetinteractive.com/advertise/

• Policies

Ahh yes the final part, policies are very important for a web host as they are the rules that you have to follow and the guidelines for day to day conduct, if you can make one up its great if not get it here:

http://hostlegal.com

These really important , they tell any/all potential customers about what you offer and what are the rules and regulations that they have to follow and what kind of protection do they get by hosting with you.

*Part 5 : The Real Deal

This part is the real deal, the only thing that gives your business a fighting chance!
Now at any given time there are a billion people online out of which 40 million are hackers and stupid teens who know a few things about servers.This is a regular threat for hosting business owners, hack attacks, thats right everyone is unsafe doesnt matter how big your server is or how much you paid for it or what kinda of dc its in.

1- Your DC will NOT interfere with anything going on in the server and take any legal actions against the hacker.

2-There is no one to blame but yourself when your server gets compromised with a given exception that the control panel you are using has a vulnerability.

Now to prevent your business going down here are a few steps.

1- Order a second hardrive almost double the first one on your server, and setup backups on it to run every week.

2- Get a reputable Management company to manage your server and have them setup some space on their network for you as well and have your files backed up there as well.

The best thing to do in a situation where your server has been compromised is:

- call your datacenter and have them change your root pwd

- login and go to Basic Settings and see if the the root email is yours or not!

- have your mgt company turn off any setting that serve pages to the public and have your server repaired.

- after a complete checkup is done you will need to restore all backups.

BUT!

keep in mind the date of the previous backup, check recheck then recheck 10 more times the dates of all backups, compare with the current hacked accounts and if there is an account that is not backed up leave it be and restore others.

A hacked account is much better then NO account.

Usually hackers "deface" sites, which just replaces the index files in all folders so it CAN be fixed but takes time

Note:
After getting hacked your customers will blame you but as per the standard Hosting TOS, all customers back there own data up, but its in good ethics that you do that for your customers.

Cheers

Sponsors:

Last edited by gmshawn; 5th August 2010 at 03:52 PM.
Add to gmshawn's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Having a own web hosting company

Bump of the day.

Old 10th August 2010, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
-Mathematics will become famous soon enough

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Free Bumpz for you!

B - Bring
U - Up
M - My
P - Post

Old 17th August 2010, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
weightp is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bumpz?????

weightp is offline   Add to weightp's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
enigmasam is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Indeed a good post. Few people manage to post things as detailed as you have. Bumps.

Old 2nd November 2010, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigmasam View Post
Indeed a good post. Few people manage to post things as detailed as you have. Bumps.
Thanks! And thanks for the free bumps

Old 2nd November 2010, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
taobaochina is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a first class article about how to start a web hosting business. Bravo

taobaochina is offline   Add to taobaochina's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BUMP = BRING UP MY POST!

Last edited by gmshawn; 15th November 2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
gmshawn is offline   Add to gmshawn's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bumpzzzzzzzz

Old 24th November 2010, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Free Bumpz!!!!

Old 24th November 2010, 12:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow Thanks & Again BUMPS!

Old 24th November 2010, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Welcome!`~

B
U
M
P

BUUUUUMP!!

Old 26th November 2010, 08:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmpppppppppppzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz of the day

Old 27th November 2010, 10:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Swift is on a distinguished road

Don't mean to be rude but this whole "tutorial"/"guide" is filled with really really bad instructions, comments, suggestions and ideas. The guide itself isn't professional at all.

Sorry friend, you really have to correct the guide for not only the language but the content as well else people like me would take it as a joke.

Don't want to be harsh, but seriously?

If you think I'm talking nonsense or bullshit, here is what I think of some of the content you have:

Here is the BEST way to start a webhost:

Get at least 4 sales reps
Spread them on Forums such as TEEN FORUMS
Sell hosting at variable prices, dont keep a steady rate at that moment jsut try to charge the most to the high paying and least to unsure.
These specials will stick with you forever.
Try to give out free hosting for 1-6 months after that period tell them that there site has ran out and they should upgrade their account to a paid one.
Now that should get you rolling the right way!
If you've just started out, why 4 sales rep? What on earth are they supposed to do? As you said earlier, since you are new, your host should be empty. The most get a person to do shift duties with you to ensure that at least for the whole day you have a person managing questions and responding to sales request.

I'm sorry, spreading a paid webhost on a TEEN FORUM wouldn't help much. Most teenagers wouldn't spend money on a paid host. I would suggest people publicize their webhost on forums dedicated to webmastering such as webhostingtalk etc, you'll find your potential customers there, not in a TEEN FORUM.

Selling at variable pricing can be good, and terrible. Good in the sense that you can use it as a marketing technique but bad for current customers would feel bad if you lower the pricing just like that. Are you going to make the people pay that price throughout their contract? Or does the price varies accordingly? I don't think it is easy to do the latter for you will get loads and loads of complaints as well as angry customers. And it might be against your TOS etc. It is a practice to inform like a few weeks or months before if there is a price change, giving customers the choice whether to leave or to stay on.

This my friend, is a big NO NO. That just put a tag on your webhost saying "I'm a scammer, pay me" Dishonest act is terrible, don't ever do that.

I would love to go on dissecting the whole post but I won't, unless you want me to. There are just so many mistakes and misconceptions that I can hardly believe people even say that this is a good post.

If you want to rebut to any points I make, lets do it in a civilized manner. No flame wars okay? Just plain debate with constructive arguments and criticism.

Old 6th December 2010, 12:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Don't mean to be rude but this whole "tutorial"/"guide" is filled with really really bad instructions, comments, suggestions and ideas. The guide itself isn't professional at all.

Sorry friend, you really have to correct the guide for not only the language but the content as well else people like me would take it as a joke.

Don't want to be harsh, but seriously?

If you think I'm talking nonsense or bullshit, here is what I think of some of the content you have:

If you've just started out, why 4 sales rep? What on earth are they supposed to do? As you said earlier, since you are new, your host should be empty. The most get a person to do shift duties with you to ensure that at least for the whole day you have a person managing questions and responding to sales request.

I'm sorry, spreading a paid webhost on a TEEN FORUM wouldn't help much. Most teenagers wouldn't spend money on a paid host. I would suggest people publicize their webhost on forums dedicated to webmastering such as webhostingtalk etc, you'll find your potential customers there, not in a TEEN FORUM.

Selling at variable pricing can be good, and terrible. Good in the sense that you can use it as a marketing technique but bad for current customers would feel bad if you lower the pricing just like that. Are you going to make the people pay that price throughout their contract? Or does the price varies accordingly? I don't think it is easy to do the latter for you will get loads and loads of complaints as well as angry customers. And it might be against your TOS etc. It is a practice to inform like a few weeks or months before if there is a price change, giving customers the choice whether to leave or to stay on.

This my friend, is a big NO NO. That just put a tag on your webhost saying "I'm a scammer, pay me" Dishonest act is terrible, don't ever do that.

I would love to go on dissecting the whole post but I won't, unless you want me to. There are just so many mistakes and misconceptions that I can hardly believe people even say that this is a good post.

If you want to rebut to any points I make, lets do it in a civilized manner. No flame wars okay? Just plain debate with constructive arguments and criticism.
Thanks for pointing out!
Well maybe its a huge tutorial.
If i receive more than 5 dislike, i will remove that tutorial.
Well if you want to make this post much more better and easier way to look, please help to simplify them and send it to me. i will change.

Last edited by gmshawn; 6th December 2010 at 12:33 AM.
gmshawn is offline   Add to gmshawn's Reputation Reply With Quote