Help TOV Essay Qn - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life > Humanities Help » Help TOV Essay Qn

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2014, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
his_tory is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 42
Join Date: Nov 2014
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Help TOV Essay Qn

Someone please help me answer this qn: explain why the French and Germans found the TOV unsatisfactory.

I mean I know the answer but not sure how to put it into words if someone does know the amswer pleasw kindly help. Thank you!

Sponsors:
his_tory is offline  
Add to his_tory's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
MapPwner is on a distinguished road

 
MapPwner's Avatar
 
Posts: 245
Join Date: Sep 2014
Likes: 2
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Gender:

Re: Help TOV Essay Qn

The French found the Treaty of Versailles unsastifactory as they felt that the reparations weren't harsh enough to recover from their losses in the war and also compensate the families whose children have died in WW1 fighting against Germany and the axis powers.

The Germans,on the other hand,also found the TOV unsatisfactory too as the reparations were too harsh on them,which was 20billion reichmarks($5 billion)in gold,commodities etc,resulting in massive retrenchment and unemployment of the German workforce and hence severely hampering the development of Germany's economy which plummeted drastically.The War Guilt Clause,which was part of the terms in TOV,meant that Germany had to bear the ramifications for everything that was caused and blamed for everything that happened.This made the German public feel very humiliated and infuriated,as they are not the only ones involved in the war that caused damage as the Allies also incapacitated a lot of Germans in the war and yet did not felt remorseful about it.Moreover,the military power of Germany was greatly reduced,to like 10000 men in the army and banning of an airforce,which crippled Germany's defence and was unable to defend itself should any country invade Germany,making the Germans more frustrated and angry at the terms of TOV.

*Well that's all I know without looking at the textbook* =/

MapPwner is offline   Add to MapPwner's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by MapPwner:
maverick (1st December 2014)
Old 1st December 2014, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
RelicDemon12 has a spectacular aura about

 
RelicDemon12's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
Join Date: Jul 2008
Likes: 16
Liked 46 Times in 39 Posts
Gender:

Re: Help TOV Essay Qn

I am not a history major, but I will try to answer to the best of my ability based on what I rmb from my European Studies module I took.

France's demands for peace is driven by three main concerns: desire for revenge, economic and national security, and fear of Bolshevik Revolution.

First, in WWI, France have bore the brunt of German aggression, they faced much higher devastation and casualties as compared to other European powers. Hence, this caused France to be really pissed off at the Germans and want to make them pay. As a result, Clemenceau found himself placed under intense domestic pressure to make the peace treaty as harsh as possible. Note that at this point of time, France is a republic, which meant that Clemenceau have to answer to the domestic pressure or risk losing popular support.

Second, France is concerned about their national security. Economically, they are heavily devastated by the Great War while Germany factories remained mostly intact. They believed that Germany will be able to surpass most European powers economically in a short time, and wanted Germany to pay huge reparations in order to cripple Germany's economy as well as facilitate the rebuilding of France's economy. Geopolitically, the French became highly suspicious of Germany due to their aggression in WWI. Given that France shares a border with Germany, France wanted to make sure that Germany will no longer have the capability to challenge France. As a result, they demanded total demilitarization of Germany and wanted to created Rhineland as a separate nation-state to serve as a buffer between the French and the Germans.

Third, France, along with the other Allied powers, are afraid that the Bolshevik revolution in Russia will spread to Europe. Therefore, they wanted to expand and strengthen Eastern Europeans states (Poland, Czech, Romania etc.) at the expense of Germany in order to create a buffer between Bolshevik Russia (later known as USSR) and the Allied powers.

In summary, the French wanted the following terms: demilitarized Germany, creation of Rhineland, economic reparations, and expansion of Eastern European states at the expense of Germany.

However, at that point of time, Woodrow Wilson wanted to create a new 'League of Nation' to prevent further outbreak of war, and he saw France's demands as overly belligerent and counterproductive to his goals. As a result, compromises have to be made. In the end, Rhineland was demilitarized rather than created as a buffer state, Germany faced partial rather than total demilitarization.

Since, France did not get most of their demands, naturally they felt unsatisfied. Furthermore, popular sentiments felt that the treaty was not harsh enough, and criticisms of Clemenceau's compromise put him in a very difficult position.

The Germans, on the other hand, are unhappy about the treaty due to the following concerns: War Guilt Clause, 'harshness' of the treaty, and 'dictated peace'.

First, under the War Guilt Clause of the TOV, Germany had to bear the blame for ALL damage and devastation that resulted from the War. To the Germans, they felt unfair about this clause as they are definitely not the only one that cause destruction in the war.

Second, Germans were appalled at the military and territorial terms of the treaty, which they view as overly harsh. The treaty dictates that Germany have to restrict its ground troops to 100,000 men, elimination of the air force, restriction of naval forces, and demilitarization of Rhineland. They also have to pay huge reparations which eventually resulted in a hyper inflation in Germany. What really pissed the Germans most off is the territorial acquisition. Apart from losing all of the territories gained in the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk (did i spell it right?), they have to cede Alsace and Lorraine to France and parts of Prussia to the Eastern European states. While the Germans, expected to lose some of the territories they gained during the war, they thought that at least they will be allowed to keep their original territories.

Lastly, Germans were also unhappy that the TOV have been forced upon them. The TOV was drafted by mainly Woodrow Wilson, David Lloyd Geroge and George Clemenceau (Russia was in a civil war). The Germans did not took part in the drafting of the treaty at all. Hence, the Germans felt that the TOV was a form of 'dictated peace', and felt very victimized by it. In fact, the Weimar Republic did not want to agree to the TOV, but they have little choice as rejecting the TOV meant reentering a losing war that there finally managed to get out from.


Last edited by RelicDemon12; 1st December 2014 at 10:10 AM.
RelicDemon12 is offline   Add to RelicDemon12's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by RelicDemon12:
maverick (1st December 2014)
Old 1st December 2014, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
MapPwner is on a distinguished road

 
MapPwner's Avatar
 
Posts: 245
Join Date: Sep 2014
Likes: 2
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Gender:

Re: Help TOV Essay Qn

Originally Posted by RelicDemon12 View Post
I am not a history major, but I will try to answer to the best of my ability based on what I rmb from my European Studies module I took.

France's demands for peace is driven by three main concerns: desire for revenge, economic and national security, and fear of Bolshevik Revolution.

First, in WWI, France have bore the brunt of German aggression, they faced much higher devastation and casualties as compared to other European powers. Hence, this caused France to be really pissed off at the Germans and want to make them pay. As a result, Clemenceau found himself placed under intense domestic pressure to make the peace treaty as harsh as possible. Note that at this point of time, France is a republic, which meant that Clemenceau have to answer to the domestic pressure or risk losing popular support.

Second, France is concerned about their national security. Economically, they are heavily devastated by the Great War while Germany factories remained mostly intact. They believed that Germany will be able to surpass most European powers economically in a short time, and wanted Germany to pay huge reparations in order to cripple Germany's economy as well as facilitate the rebuilding of France's economy. Geopolitically, the French became highly suspicious of Germany due to their aggression in WWI. Given that France shares a border with Germany, France wanted to make sure that Germany will no longer have the capability to challenge France. As a result, they demanded total demilitarization of Germany and wanted to created Rhineland as a separate nation-state to serve as a buffer between the French and the Germans.

Third, France, along with the other Allied powers, are afraid that the Bolshevik revolution in Russia will spread to Europe. Therefore, they wanted to expand and strengthen Eastern Europeans states (Poland, Czech, Romania etc.) at the expense of Germany in order to create a buffer between Bolshevik Russia (later known as USSR) and the Allied powers.

In summary, the French wanted the following terms: demilitarized Germany, creation of Rhineland, economic reparations, and expansion of Eastern European states at the expense of Germany.

However, at that point of time, Woodrow Wilson wanted to create a new 'League of Nation' to prevent further outbreak of war, and he saw France's demands as overly belligerent and counterproductive to his goals. As a result, compromises have to be made. In the end, Rhineland was demilitarized rather than created as a buffer state, Germany faced partial rather than total demilitarization.

Since, France did not get most of their demands, naturally they felt unsatisfied. Furthermore, popular sentiments felt that the treaty was not harsh enough, and criticisms of Clemenceau's compromise put him in a very difficult position.

The Germans, on the other hand, are unhappy about the treaty due to the following concerns: War Guilt Clause, 'harshness' of the treaty, and 'dictated peace'.

First, under the War Guilt Clause of the TOV, Germany had to bear the blame for ALL damage and devastation that resulted from the War. To the Germans, they felt unfair about this clause as they are definitely not the only one that cause destruction in the war.

Second, Germans were appalled at the military and territorial terms of the treaty, which they view as overly harsh. The treaty dictates that Germany have to restrict its ground troops to 100,000 men, elimination of the air force, restriction of naval forces, and demilitarization of Rhineland. They also have to pay huge reparations which eventually resulted in a hyper inflation in Germany. What really pissed the Germans most off is the territorial acquisition. Apart from losing all of the territories gained in the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk (did i spell it right?), they have to cede Alsace and Lorraine to France and parts of Prussia to the Eastern European states. While the Germans, expected to lose some of the territories they gained during the war, they thought that at least they will be allowed to keep their original territories.

Lastly, Germans were also unhappy that the TOV have been forced upon them. The TOV was drafted by mainly Woodrow Wilson, David Lloyd Geroge and George Clemenceau (Russia was in a civil war). The Germans did not took part in the drafting of the treaty at all. Hence, the Germans felt that the TOV was a form of 'dictated peace', and felt very victimized by it. In fact, the Weimar Republic did not want to agree to the TOV, but they have little choice as rejecting the TOV meant reentering a losing war that there finally managed to get out from.
Urm not being offensive but some of your points are someone irrelevant(eg. Hyperinflation) cos that happened some time later/over a long period of time.The question basically focuses on the terms of tov and elaborate on the terms that made the germans/french unhappy,and not the after effects or whatsoever

MapPwner is offline   Add to MapPwner's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
RelicDemon12 has a spectacular aura about

 
RelicDemon12's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
Join Date: Jul 2008
Likes: 16
Liked 46 Times in 39 Posts
Gender:

Re: Help TOV Essay Qn

Originally Posted by MapPwner View Post
Urm not being offensive but some of your points are someone irrelevant(eg. Hyperinflation) cos that happened some time later/over a long period of time.The question basically focuses on the terms of tov and elaborate on the terms that made the germans/french unhappy,and not the after effects or whatsoever
While I admit that I wrote the hyperinflation with the intention of it being just a side note, I do not think that it is irrelevant. The qn asks why Germans/ French found the TOV unsatisfactory, but did not state any time frame. Hyperinflation occurs in the long term, but still within the time of the Weimar Republic. As the inflation occurs, people tend to feel more and more unsatisfied with the TOV.

Even if I accept your argument that the qn is only asking about short term effects of the terms of TOV, then it would likewise make your previous response about economic reparations invalid as well. In your previous response, you mentioned that the Germans are unhappy about the reparations of 20 billion reichmarks. However, that was not part of the TOV. the TOV only ordered Germany to pay reparations but did not specify the amount. The amount was subsequently determined by a separate commission. According to your claim that the qn focuses on the terms of TOV, wouldn't that make your point invalid too? After all, Germany ain't pissy about the reparation, they are pissy about the AMT of reparations.

Also, if inflation is not relevant, then why is your point about unemployment and retrenchment valid? Isn't it an equally long term effect?

EDIT: Also, if you like, why don't u point out what other points that you think is not relevant to the qn? I don't mind explaining myself.


Last edited by RelicDemon12; 1st December 2014 at 12:50 PM.
RelicDemon12 is offline   Add to RelicDemon12's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
MapPwner is on a distinguished road

 
MapPwner's Avatar
 
Posts: 245
Join Date: Sep 2014
Likes: 2
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Gender:

Re: Help TOV Essay Qn

Urm just being honest because the answer scheme of the question revolves around chapter 1,which is WW1 AND TOV.If you were to write or list out points in the later chapters it is blatantly as good as out of point(weimar government took over after some time anyways)

And no,20 billion reichmarks was listed in the terms of TOV and also under the point reparations and is also written and listed inside the history textbook under the chapter of "WW1 and TOV",hence i find that it is hence necessary to state the reparation amount to show the extent of burden it brought to the Germans

Using PEEL,under the second E,one should be able to further elaborate on the terms stated in the TOV(Not further elaborating other points as that is equivalent to attaining L1/1 or 2) in which one should be able to infer from the term and put urself in the shoes of the Germans and blurt out what you think the germans have felt(it is also listed in the textbook in the same chapter about germans against TOV)

P.S I have done a similar question before and scored L4/7 out of 8 marks and achieved 95th percentile for history in my EOY exams overall

MapPwner is offline   Add to MapPwner's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
MapPwner is on a distinguished road

 
MapPwner's Avatar
 
Posts: 245
Join Date: Sep 2014
Likes: 2
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Gender:

Re: Help TOV Essay Qn

And moreover,you were quite beating around the bush about other allied powers against TOV,which is further redundant and will definitely contribute to an L1/2.Moreover,unemployment was a fact under the point German economic weakness in pg 11 of the textbook Unit 2:The world in Crisis".No form of hyperinflation was stated in it.

Sorry i actually mean 269 billion gold reichsmarks anyways

MapPwner is offline   Add to MapPwner's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
RelicDemon12 has a spectacular aura about

 
RelicDemon12's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
Join Date: Jul 2008
Likes: 16
Liked 46 Times in 39 Posts
Gender:

Re: Help TOV Essay Qn

Urm just being honest because the answer scheme of the question revolves around chapter 1,which is WW1 AND TOV.If you were to write or list out points in the later chapters it is blatantly as good as out of point(weimar government took over after some time anyways)
To begin, let me be clear that I did not write my post with the intention of it being a secondary school answer or whatsoever. I am merely supplying information to the TS, which he/she requested. I do not know about what answer schemes or textbooks you guys are using, but if point are relevant, it is. How can there be such things where you use materials outside the given chapter and it is out of point? At my level, essays that I write often require me to draw concepts from different disciplines (e.g. history, political science and economics in ONE political science essay).

And no,20 billion reichmarks was listed in the terms of TOV and also under the point reparations and is also written and listed inside the history textbook under the chapter of "WW1 and TOV",hence i find that it is hence necessary to state the reparation amount to show the extent of burden it brought to the Germans
The TOV mentioned only reparations, it did not specify the amount of reparations that Germany needs to pay. It was subsequently determined by a separate commission. Which make sense, during the TOV, the Western powers have not done any damage assessment on the ground and hence it is impossible for them to specify the amount. Your textbook is probably simplified since it is aimed at secondary school students or something, and MOE probably did not think this is a significant point. Just in case you doubt my credibility, I have to mention that I obtained my information from a real historian, not any teacher/ textbook writer who probably only has a undergrad degree. I definitely trust my professor more than the textbook you are using.

Using PEEL,under the second E,one should be able to further elaborate on the terms stated in the TOV(Not further elaborating other points as that is equivalent to attaining L1/1 or 2) in which one should be able to infer from the term and put urself in the shoes of the Germans and blurt out what you think the germans have felt(it is also listed in the textbook in the same chapter about germans against TOV)
I don't really get it? Then again, I could hardly remember what PEEL was even though I vaguely remember my secondary school teacher talking about it. I have grown past it.

P.S I have done a similar question before and scored L4/7 out of 8 marks and achieved 95th percentile for history in my EOY exams overall.
That's wonderful, except that I have gotten my distinctions in O level double humanities donkey years ago and is now writing at a university level (NUS).

Originally Posted by MapPwner View Post
And moreover,you were quite beating around the bush about other allied powers against TOV,which is further redundant and will definitely contribute to an L1/2.Moreover,unemployment was a fact under the point German economic weakness in pg 11 of the textbook Unit 2:The world in Crisis".No form of hyperinflation was stated in it.

Sorry i actually mean 269 billion gold reichsmarks anyways
Why was it beating ard the bush? The Paris Peace Conference (where TOV was drafted) was dominated by the Allied powers (excluding Russia) with the intentional exclusion of Germany. Of course Germany is going to feel victimized?

Just because your textbook did not state it does not means it is wrong or out of point. And yes, your textbook may state unemployment as a 'fact', but do you have an acute understanding of how the reparations cause unemployment? Just to be fair, most of the unemployment faced initially was not due to the reparations but rather the devastation caused by the war itself. However, the reparations certainly did worsen the unemployment, but it works through a more complicated mechanism and its effect only comes in together with inflation. I am not going to explain this as I assume that you are still clueless about economics.

And I am not too sure my standards is indeed as low as a L1/2. I can no longer remember what L1/2 means but I assume it is a pretty lousy grade. I shall reiterate that my post was merely supplying information to the TS. It is not an essay. It is just something like an encyclopedia entry, and I am pretty sure the facts are right.


Last edited by RelicDemon12; 1st December 2014 at 08:57 PM.
RelicDemon12 is offline   Add to RelicDemon12's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
MapPwner is on a distinguished road

 
MapPwner's Avatar
 
Posts: 245
Join Date: Sep 2014
Likes: 2
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Gender:

Re: Help TOV Essay Qn

Lol basically what I meant is u added extra points such as the viewpoint of America(Woodrow Wilson) and question only asked for France and Germany so what I wanted to say was that you stated extra points that aren't necessary for this question.

MapPwner is offline   Add to MapPwner's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
RelicDemon12 has a spectacular aura about

 
RelicDemon12's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
Join Date: Jul 2008
Likes: 16
Liked 46 Times in 39 Posts
Gender:

Re: Help TOV Essay Qn

Originally Posted by MapPwner View Post
Lol basically what I meant is u added extra points such as the viewpoint of America(Woodrow Wilson) and question only asked for France and Germany so what I wanted to say was that you stated extra points that aren't necessary for this question.
My point was that France is unhappy as it did not get all the terms it wanted, which is also why I explain why France did not get all the terms it needed. If I merely do a comparison between what France wanted and what France got, naturally the first thing that comes to the reader's mind will be: Why didn't France push to get all of its demands then? It is generally very bad writing practice to leave your readers with uncertainties and doubts in their mind. Your essays should strive to be as comprehensive as possible. Not to mention that doing such comparison-based answer will make your writing choppy and lack logical flow.

Honestly, if you go by a strict point-to-marks scheme (which is probably what your school is doing judging from your earlier reply), that part probably will not get you any points. But if you are writing at a higher level (uni/ A level GP) where they test on your writing rather than points, then that point is pretty crucial.

But then again, if your school really follow such a strict point-to-marks scheme, you may as well write in point form.

RelicDemon12 is offline   Add to RelicDemon12's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 10:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
his_tory is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 42
Join Date: Nov 2014
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:


Thank you so much Mapwner btw i am a sec sch student.

his_tory is offline   Add to his_tory's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 10:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
his_tory is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 42
Join Date: Nov 2014
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:


Originally Posted by MapPwner View Post
The French found the Treaty of Versailles unsastifactory as they felt that the reparations weren't harsh enough to recover from their losses in the war and also compensate the families whose children have died in WW1 fighting against Germany and the axis powers.
The Germans,on the other hand,also found the TOV unsatisfactory too as the reparations were too harsh on them,which was 20billion reichmarks($5 billion)in gold,commodities etc,resulting in massive retrenchment and unemployment of the German workforce and hence severely hampering the development of Germany's economy which plummeted drastically.The War Guilt Clause,which was part of the terms in TOV,meant that Germany had to bear the ramifications for everything that was caused and blamed for everything that happened.This made the German public feel very humiliated and infuriated,as they are not the only ones involved in the war that caused damage as the Allies also incapacitated a lot of Germans in the war and yet did not felt remorseful about it.Moreover,the military power of Germany was greatly reduced,to like 10000 men in the army and banning of an airforce,which crippled Germany's defence and was unable to defend itself should any country invade Germany,making the Germans more frustrated and angry at the terms of TOV.

*Well that's all I know without looking at the textbook* =/
But Mapwner , is this the 7 out of 8 marks essay? a.k.a. L4/7?)

his_tory is offline   Add to his_tory's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 11:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
MapPwner is on a distinguished road

 
MapPwner's Avatar
 
Posts: 245
Join Date: Sep 2014
Likes: 2
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Gender:

Re: Help TOV Essay Qn

my question was slightly different,as it only focused on why germans were unsatisfactory towards TOV only.For France I know is because they felt that reparations weren't harsh enough.(Sure there's something else but I think Demon's part on france might be a good answer)

MapPwner is offline   Add to MapPwner's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 08:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
his_tory is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 42
Join Date: Nov 2014
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:


Originally Posted by RelicDemon12 View Post
I am not a history major, but I will try to answer to the best of my ability based on what I rmb from my European Studies module I took.

France's demands for peace is driven by three main concerns: desire for revenge, economic and national security, and fear of Bolshevik Revolution.

First, in WWI, France have bore the brunt of German aggression, they faced much higher devastation and casualties as compared to other European powers. Hence, this caused France to be really pissed off at the Germans and want to make them pay. As a result, Clemenceau found himself placed under intense domestic pressure to make the peace treaty as harsh as possible. Note that at this point of time, France is a republic, which meant that Clemenceau have to answer to the domestic pressure or risk losing popular support.

Second, France is concerned about their national security. Economically, they are heavily devastated by the Great War while Germany factories remained mostly intact. They believed that Germany will be able to surpass most European powers economically in a short time, and wanted Germany to pay huge reparations in order to cripple Germany's economy as well as facilitate the rebuilding of France's economy. Geopolitically, the French became highly suspicious of Germany due to their aggression in WWI. Given that France shares a border with Germany, France wanted to make sure that Germany will no longer have the capability to challenge France. As a result, they demanded total demilitarization of Germany and wanted to created Rhineland as a separate nation-state to serve as a buffer between the French and the Germans.

Third, France, along with the other Allied powers, are afraid that the Bolshevik revolution in Russia will spread to Europe. Therefore, they wanted to expand and strengthen Eastern Europeans states (Poland, Czech, Romania etc.) at the expense of Germany in order to create a buffer between Bolshevik Russia (later known as USSR) and the Allied powers.

In summary, the French wanted the following terms: demilitarized Germany, creation of Rhineland, economic reparations, and expansion of Eastern European states at the expense of Germany.

However, at that point of time, Woodrow Wilson wanted to create a new 'League of Nation' to prevent further outbreak of war, and he saw France's demands as overly belligerent and counterproductive to his goals. As a result, compromises have to be made. In the end, Rhineland was demilitarized rather than created as a buffer state, Germany faced partial rather than total demilitarization.

Since, France did not get most of their demands, naturally they felt unsatisfied. Furthermore, popular sentiments felt that the treaty was not harsh enough, and criticisms of Clemenceau's compromise put him in a very difficult position.

The Germans, on the other hand, are unhappy about the treaty due to the following concerns: War Guilt Clause, 'harshness' of the treaty, and 'dictated peace'.

First, under the War Guilt Clause of the TOV, Germany had to bear the blame for ALL damage and devastation that resulted from the War. To the Germans, they felt unfair about this clause as they are definitely not the only one that cause destruction in the war.

Second, Germans were appalled at the military and territorial terms of the treaty, which they view as overly harsh. The treaty dictates that Germany have to restrict its ground troops to 100,000 men, elimination of the air force, restriction of naval forces, and demilitarization of Rhineland. They also have to pay huge reparations which eventually resulted in a hyper inflation in Germany. What really pissed the Germans most off is the territorial acquisition. Apart from losing all of the territories gained in the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk (did i spell it right?), they have to cede Alsace and Lorraine to France and parts of Prussia to the Eastern European states. While the Germans, expected to lose some of the territories they gained during the war, they thought that at least they will be allowed to keep their original territories.

Lastly, Germans were also unhappy that the TOV have been forced upon them. The TOV was drafted by mainly Woodrow Wilson, David Lloyd Geroge and George Clemenceau (Russia was in a civil war). The Germans did not took part in the drafting of the treaty at all. Hence, the Germans felt that the TOV was a form of 'dictated peace', and felt very victimized by it. In fact, the Weimar Republic did not want to agree to the TOV, but they have little choice as rejecting the TOV meant reentering a losing war that there finally managed to get out from.
Thank you Relicsdemons i will be using yr points 1 and 2 and not the bolshevik one cos im not too sure abt the contents of it

his_tory is offline   Add to his_tory's Reputation Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GP essay WoShiDavid95 Language Help 8 21st September 2013 05:41 PM
Help : GP essay .Memo Language Help 13 25th January 2012 09:30 PM
need help on essay oldvirgin Language Help 0 23rd August 2011 05:18 PM
Which SS essay did you do? JImmyhio School Life 160 9th November 2010 07:04 PM
SS Essay Help rinnono School Life 98 8th November 2010 12:53 PM

» Sponsors
Watch Free Movies Online
Celebrity Gossip
Food Delivery

» Facebook Fans
» What's Going On?
Title, Username, & Date
[PMD-pedestrian rules] Singapore Court judges are high handed and biased or court rep
Ritter Sport chocolate recalled due to undeclared allergen
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
I really hate my mother!!!
Mum's Kitchen Catering and Cherish Delights get licences suspended after nearly 40 people...
Transcend RDF9K2 All-in-One Card Reader
Transcend ESD250C, a portable SSD that’s super classy
Stupid court of appeal gives red light running driver who hit pedestrian 15% discount
How PAP exploited racial differences to impose FASCIST rule over Singapore.
Up to S$7250 of government $ misused for buying each vote in Singapore?
Funky Fields organic vegan spreadable recalled due to 'undisclosed allergen'
100 hawksbill turtles released into the sea after rare hatching on Sentosa
Inspirational Songs
Repost comment.
MOH, SFA investigating after 18 typhoid fever cases in 3 weeks
By militarily invading Hong Kong, Xi Jingping is setting in motion, the wheels of nuc
Deng XiaoPing original vision for HKG- China reunification was for the two to unite a
HSA warns against three products
Warning : Blacklist buyer/adopter Alert
512GB Transcend 830S M.2 SSD Review
Featured Photos
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by pdsubbu
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by Vikas Dhar
· · ·
Photography
35 photos
36 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28606 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28606 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28606 comments

 

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright© 2004-2013 SGClub.com. All rights reserved.