Hi, I am new here and need some advise:D - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Special Interest Groups > Japanese Interest > Dollfie Zone » Hi, I am new here and need some advise:D

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
ocoloco79 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I am new here and need some advise:D

Hi, hope I am not the oldest to-be BJD collector.. Mind if you gals intro yourself as in your age, gender and are you working or studying??
I am female, married, already 30 and working full-time. I have quite a number of dolls, none as expensive as BJD definitely.. used to collect those porcelain dolls from heritage mint etc becos they are so beautiful but they are left on the shelf collecting dust. This particular interest struck me when I encountered a group of gals playing with their bjd dolls at Mad jack cafe a month ago. The dolls are so pretty! I did some research before knowing that the dolls are actually called BJD.

I need some advise from you experienced collectors. Do you recommend a 1/3 or a 1/4 BJD? I am more keen in doing their makeup and hairdo.
can I use my own makeup set and lip gloss to achieve temporary effect? Will constant removing of makeup using normal makeup remover like the cleansing oil destroy the face material?? I hope to use colour pencils/ pastels but afraid that it would be too difficult to remove as I do not want to spoil the face material(discoloration etc)... thanks alot for feedback if any!

thanks alot for feedback if any!

Sponsors:

Last edited by ocoloco79; 3rd April 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Add to ocoloco79's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Lawliet is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hi, I am new here and need some advise:D

^^ no worries, you are not the oldest collector.

1/3 or 1/4 is actually depending on one's prefence because some people think that 1/3 are sort of too big to be portable and 1/4 is jus nice not to big not too small size. their hairdo is actually relying on wigs and makeup aka face up for them is usually permanent for few months or up to a year depending on how you maintain it.

using human makeup products are DEFINATLY A NONO on them as the oil content will harm the resin(what they are made of)

dolls' face up are usually done with arcylic, water color pencils and pastel. and before doing the face up, the artist SHOULD coat the doll with a layer of MSC(matt aka flat) coating to protect the doll to prevent staining. and then when done, coat with another layer so as to make the faceup last/stay.
and removing of faceup is usually done with thinner. and the thinner is not those you normally use the smelly one from paint shop, the thinner used is from hobby shop, mr.color thinner or tamiya thinner.

feel free to ask anymore questions. and u might want to check out the dollfie section on s.g.c.a.f.e (remove the dots) there's a faq thread for poeple with questions like you (^^)

short intro about myself:
Name:Lawliet
Dolls owned:5
Time in this hobby: 1yr+

=w= i'm not very good with english, sorry about any spelling mistakes

Last edited by Lawliet; 3rd April 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Lawliet is offline   Add to Lawliet's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Sochii is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anyway. the above basically already answered all your questions. even though i love to have a 1/3, but my mom simply wouldnt allow. girls are not the only collectors, we have male collectors too X3

NO OIL CONTENT for dolls please. you will get some sort of yellowish staining. instead of asking for advice here, try reading those forums which provides answer. for example www.denofangels.com/forums
these little ones are made of resin, so you should probably read up on how to care for them. They are not as simple as your porcerlain dolls *sorry but i m a little biased here as i dont like porcerlain dolls*

short intro about myself too~

Name:Sochii
Dolls owned:2
Time in this hobby: 1yr+ [definitely longer den lawliet BWAHAHAHHAHA oh. my friend irl thats why i know XD]

Last edited by Sochii; 3rd April 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Sochii is offline   Add to Sochii's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
New SGClubber
canyeranyu is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HEY~~am 21 and is a teacher~~
feel quite awkward at first to tell others that a teacher also interested in BJD...but then i feel that the love for dolls shows that i can love my students as well rite~~

canyeranyu is offline   Add to canyeranyu's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 02:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
kura is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1/3 or 1/4 is definitely depend on one. i usually goes for mods to size.

as for the face up the people before me already mention a lot of the info.... so i dun think i need to say anymore

as for my info....

Name: Kura
Dolls owned: 1 going 2 *one more doll coming*
Time in this hobby: going to be a year

kura is offline   Add to kura's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hihi, I am a teacher too! same sentiments as canyeranyu, I dare not tell haha! I have been to *s*g*c*a*f*e..(dunno Y is this cafe sensored)however I find the gals more friendly here as compare to *s*g*c*a*f*e cos I post the same post there too with little responses and not as friendly as the gals here in my opinion. Do you gals have any idea wat is the average price for an AOD doll size 1/3? I search in ebay and there is this seller called wr01234567 something like tat selling nude dolls at abt $400+ and a few other at that pricing too include shipping. Reasonable? Should I get my dolls at alice88? Thanks and I hope my question is appropriate

Last edited by ocoloco79; 4th April 2009 at 02:29 PM.
ocoloco79 is offline   Add to ocoloco79's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm not sure because i don't own an AOD doll

Old 4th April 2009, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Emosan
Emolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to behold

Liked 154 Times in 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ocoloco79 View Post
hihi, I am a teacher too! same sentiments as canyeranyu, I dare not tell haha! I have been to *s*g*c*a*f*e..(dunno Y is this cafe sensored)however I find the gals more friendly here as compare to *s*g*c*a*f*e cos I post the same post there too with little responses and not as friendly as the gals here in my opinion. Do you gals have any idea wat is the average price for an AOD doll size 1/3? I search in ebay and there is this seller called wr01234567 something like tat selling nude dolls at abt $400+ and a few other at that pricing too include shipping. Reasonable? Should I get my dolls at alice88? Thanks and I hope my question is appropriate
Of course this is the Singapore largest community forum ^^ welcome to the hse ^^ Ps, have no idea what is BJD

Emolisher is offline   Add to Emolisher's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
kura is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ocoloco79 View Post
u can juz go to the AOD main site n check wad o-o;

anyway.... juz a side advice to u.
do get a doll of ur likings, if not it is not worth it.
there are a lot of shops for such dolls online, do take a look at them ^^;;

kura is offline   Add to kura's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi lawliet, I saw your PM but my post count is insufficient to post a reply, Thanks for the advice..

Last edited by ocoloco79; 4th April 2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 4th April 2009, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
New SGClubber
meeve is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi ocoloco79,

u can take your time to mingle around DOA, the largest international doll forum. There's a collective list of doll companies at e cafe forum with links. perhaps u might find some sculpts that u fancy in there, different companies have different style on their bjd and every of them is an art ^^. Then again, u may need to consider their posability, resin durablity if any of that is your concern in getting a doll. Buying online using paypal with those overseas companies are safe, but ebay i'm not too sure.
just to let u know that, there's a livejournal community for local bjd owners at:

/community.livejournal.com/sd_sg

i frequent cafe more than here, i'm sure the people there are fine just that maybe there's a warm up period?
There's alot of adult owners as well, most of them are not so active in the forums, btw i'm 23 this year ^^
you can feel free to pm me on sg.cafe (remove e dot) about questions abt faceup...etc i'm a faceup artist though not consistently taking commissions at e moment, been into this hobby for 3 yrs.

cheeros

Last edited by meeve; 4th April 2009 at 05:02 PM.
meeve is offline   Add to meeve's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 06:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Meeve, Thanks for the reply! may I know where can I view the links, I tried searching but can't locate at the BJD links regarding companies that sell dolls.. I only seen those selling at ebay as well as heard abt alice88. no more

Old 4th April 2009, 08:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
New SGClubber
meeve is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://******.com/showthread.php?t=34240
http://www.denofangels.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=171927 (very comprehensive list here ^^)

hope it helps!

meeve is offline   Add to meeve's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 10:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

^ meeve's post

replace ****** with s.g.c.a.f.e(remove the dots) (^^)

Old 5th April 2009, 07:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hihi thanks for the reply! As I can't wait, i got AOD zi yuan 1/3 from the censored shop. Now there is one problem.. my doll's head cap kept falling due to the magnet. Is there anything i can do? The magnet piece fell off

Btw where do you recommend if I wanna buy outfits? in terms of price competitiveness? i did some homework and realised that Tao bao is good. However when i went to the site its looks like an auction page with many sellers. Am i on the right site? thanks

Last edited by ocoloco79; 5th April 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 7th April 2009, 04:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Kai Sir Ho is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats on your first BJD ^^

Taobao is a good place to get "cheap" doll clothes~ Apparently you are on the right site, but the site has ALOT or TOO MANY stores for you to choose from ^^;;

I guess it's best that you order from those that you have heard and read reviews about? E.g Sunny's World, Tata's Paradise, etc

Because even though with good ratings, some of the taobao shops are rumoured to be scams x_X

One sad thing about the shops from taobao is that you have to communicate in chinese. Not a problem if you're capable of doing that though >.<

And it's usually advisable to hold a group order (or G.O for short) when ordering from sites that sell clothings and accessories to the masses so that you can save on the shipping fee ^^

Ordering from taobao sellers might also require you to remit the money instead of paying by paypal or credit card >.<

You can also visit http://community.livejournal.com/sd_sg/ if you are looking to buy some clothes and accessories. Other doll owners occasionally hold group orders from time to time so feel free to hop on if you feel that you can trust them!

It is always good to ask around for feedback of other doll owners / forum members so that you will not get cheated >.< Don't pop the question in public, just pm someone about it ^^

Alternatively there is a feedback thread on ****** here: http://******.com/showthread.php?t=38790 (again, substitute the *******) ^^

And just to copy everyone else lol:

Name: Marcus Neo (on cafe) / formerly known as Adrian, also known as NELLE on Den Of Angels and propagandagenda on sd_sg (LOL I am sorry I cannot stick to one name OTL)
Dolls owned: 4 Full SDs, 5 floating heads x_X
Time in this hobby: Since October 2007

And oh, I'm female by the way x_X

I just like calling myself a boy. LOL.

Last edited by Kai Sir Ho; 7th April 2009 at 04:09 AM.
Kai Sir Ho is offline   Add to Kai Sir Ho's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 12:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Kai sir ho,

yepp I have placed order with sochii and haerjun to get stuffs for taobao.. One more member for me to add. I just bought Qian yesterday becos Zi yuan was too lonely.. wanted to get a boy but not easy to dress up.. so got zi yuan a sister instead also got a floating head to practise faceup. Hope i can master my face up soon.. I seriously hope that this hobby will last me long enough.. you know la, m not young to start with. WOnder if you gals feel that by the age of 40, you will still love your dolls??

Old 10th April 2009, 09:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Zermine is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello ocoloco79

congrats on your first doll. have you got a name for girl yet ? I pick up this hobby last year and bought it from alice88th. My doll is a girl and name Miyu. I open the box on this special day, Friday the 13th ! I seldom brought her out as I am busy , working and stuff. She will be sitting in the living room watching TV the whole day. My parent will take care of her when I am not around.

Name: Zermine
Dolls owned: 1 doll
Time in this hobby: about 1 year +

Oh I am a guy actually. Beside being interested and love dolls, I love lolita, this subculture fashion too. I dressed up in lolita dresses. Think most people in the forum I know used to my girl look. LOL

Old 10th April 2009, 10:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hihi nice knowing you... erm.... can change name for dolls?? I tot their names are given hence i did not change

Old 11th April 2009, 09:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Gisele is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oco - You generally stick to only one name for a doll. Owners seldom or rarely change their dolls name.

Gisele is offline   Add to Gisele's Reputation Reply With Quote