How can I drop Chinese? - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life > Language Help » How can I drop Chinese?

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2013, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
New SGClubber
SkyeBlueFlag is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How can I drop Chinese?

First of all, I'm sorry if I've posted onto the wrong section or wrong forums, quite new here. Okay now, to the topic.

Some background information: [Scroll down if you don't want to read]
-I am a Third Year NA student [That is a Secondary 3 NA student] ( Don't discriminate NA students because of this statement. Lots of thanks. I would appreciate it. )
-I have been failing Chinese (as far as I can remember) for the past 5 years. Reason for the need to drop Chinese is because I don't want it to affect my N/O levels result. (Nor my emotions [i.e depression because of bad O-level results])
-I have also recently completely lost interest in studying Chinese [I'm not listening to lessons currently due to three factors: I cannot understand, read and nor write; If you want to roughly know whats my current knowledge, I cannot read 90% of the Chinese text book words; I cannot read 90% of the time, I cannot read 90% of the Chinese test sheets. Even if I could, I don't understand the story either; I can hardly write a compo (Pri 2/3 ~4 standard, maybe?); I can barely say much during oral examinations. To sum it up, basic ability to converse and super bad at every other area.
-I was interested in CLB [Chinese Language Basic] for a short while, but according to my teacher, I have to fail Chinese for O-levels in order for the school to accept me to CLB [I don't know how true is this, because I don't know who to talk to in my school to confirm this]
-I firmly believe that attempting to force/encourage/persuade me to study Chinese is Not possible.

=sum: My Chinese sucks. To the extension where I have no passion for it and it can lead me to depression.

So which this leads me to my question:
How can I drop Chinese as a subject?
And how can you do that?

Sponsors:
Add to SkyeBlueFlag's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vampire Lover ﺕ
SkyedAngel is just really niceSkyedAngel is just really niceSkyedAngel is just really nice

Liked 168 Times in 141 Posts
Re: How can I drop Chinese?

You can't drop it. And yeah you have to fail to take CLB. And if you're aiming for poly/jc I'm quite sure at least a pass/D7 is needed..

SkyedAngel is offline   Add to SkyedAngel's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmm but I heard from my friend [who has retained for effectively 2~3 years] that I might be able to do so by writing to MOE [his method of removing his Chinese subject was to (somehow) move to CLB and not even attend a single lesson]

SkyeBlueFlag is offline   Add to SkyeBlueFlag's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Vampire Lover ﺕ
SkyedAngel is just really niceSkyedAngel is just really niceSkyedAngel is just really nice

Liked 168 Times in 141 Posts

Huh but even that I think it will be difficult if not impossible to further your education in jc/poly if you do so

SkyedAngel is offline   Add to SkyedAngel's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Spectre is on a distinguished road

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

NO you don't need chinese for poly.I think chinese is just not for op...he can't read 90% of the test paper.That is really bad.I think you need chinese if you are going to jc though.

Spectre is offline   Add to Spectre's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
lalala00 will become famous soon enough

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

fail your chinese , take CLB , and skip clb. many people does that in my school. skip and skip

lalala00 is offline   Add to lalala00's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
thesnowflowerrr will become famous soon enough

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

I think you should seriously get a good tuition teacher to buck up your chinese. You are chinese yet your chinese is so poor, cannot like that leh.

And this will reflect badly on your academic results, as well as your report card. A lot of stereotypes will come into play when your report book reflects No Language exam taken - if they know its done by truancy luh.

Korean Makeup Tutorials
Food Reviews
thesnowflowerrr is offline   Add to thesnowflowerrr's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by thesnowflowerrr:
gimmebanana (20th April 2013)
Old 19th April 2013, 12:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Honesty is a virtue~
Tetrahedron is a jewel in the roughTetrahedron is a jewel in the rough

Liked 156 Times in 111 Posts

Agreed with the above.

You are a Chinese by root. So it will do you good if you actually help yourself in learning Mandarin properly to a certain standard. I am not saying that you must embrace it, but at least make the effort. You can write to MOE to drop to CLB, but don't totally throw the towel for the language.

Old 19th April 2013, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Asylii has a spectacular aura about

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Only advice is to take CLB. Well, I was like you, I wanted to drop CL but my grades failed to meet the requirement for CLB, so if you can take CLB, take it!

Asylii is offline   Add to Asylii's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
중요 인물
noorizone has a spectacular aura about

Liked 73 Times in 62 Posts

If you are thinking of doing business industry, you need to learn how to read, write and talk in Chinese . Otherwise how you make business with rich China people. Anyway Chinese is not a very difficult subject in Singapore The O level marker are not from China, don't worry.

noorizone is offline   Add to noorizone's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 08:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thank you for trying to encourage me to study, but I feel that it is impossible for me to continue studying at this standard. [ I don't have the to have tuition, nor do I feel that it is effective (Attended a few when I was back in P5/P6. Didn't find it effective.)]

Hearing I've been hearing the phrase 'write to MOE' a few times now, I have completely no idea what am i supposed to write. ( ;´Д`)ノ ┬──┬

I don't think switching language to one which I have huge interest in would be approved. So probably I might just drop to CLB and ( I hope not, regarding the skipping of lessons part ) skip CLB lessons to study the language which I have most interest in.

Old 20th April 2013, 08:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
work work. more work?!
gimmebanana is just really nicegimmebanana is just really nicegimmebanana is just really nice

Liked 140 Times in 122 Posts

i dunno how it feels to be someone who cannot even pass their mother tongue.

Old 20th April 2013, 08:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gimmebanana View Post
i dunno how it feels to be someone who cannot even pass their mother tongue.
hmm... I imagine its something similar to one being unable to pass a subject?
well, bits of feelings coming from a person who cannot even pass their mother tongue:

time just (painfully, boringly) past by, not learning anything. [if you are seated with people with similar results as you, they might talk to you for the entire lesson. Or they might play with their smartphones (and somehow get away with it)]

whenever a teacher speaks to you but you have no idea majority of the time what he/she's saying. [try attending a lesson or watch a movie/show in a language you don't understand, possibility similar feelings unless there's subtitles] (i.e: Skye, .................................。) << which I usually somewhat subconsciously understand somewhat what she is saying in very simple terms, (i.e whiteboard, look, understand?) but have no idea what is she actually saying. [Wait, bad example, she kinda rarely talks to me.]

for tests papers, (practice) drawing after completing the MCQ section [randomly keying answers]. If sleep, gets awaken by teachers who asks you to complete your paper (even if you try to persuade them that you have really no idea what the paper is saying). Stare at clock. Think about what to do next.

As for E-learning, I just use Google translator if i have the mood to even Google translate it. if not just randomly answer mcq and grab words from the comprehension and drop it into the answer section.

Last edited by SkyeBlueFlag; 20th April 2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: giving example for the teacher part and adding e-learning part
Old 20th April 2013, 09:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
work work. more work?!
gimmebanana is just really nicegimmebanana is just really nicegimmebanana is just really nice

Liked 140 Times in 122 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyeBlueFlag View Post
hmm... I imagine its something similar to one being unable to pass a subject?

time just (painfully, boringly) past by, not learning anything. [if you are seated with people with similar results as you, they might talk to you for the entire lesson. Or they might play with their smartphones (and somehow get away with it)]

teacher starts speaking to you but you have no idea majority of the time what he/she's saying. [try attending a lesson or watch a movie/show in a language you don't understand, possibility similar feelings unless there's subtitles]

for tests papers, (practice) drawing after completing the MCQ section [randomly keying answers]. If sleep, gets awaken by teachers who asks you to complete your paper (even if you try to persuade them that you have really no idea what the paper is saying). Stare at clock. Think about what to do next.
thats the wrong attitude dude. instead of persuading and trying ways to avoid chinese. u should face it and try your best to pass it. bring out the fight dude. winner never quit. quitters never win.

Old 20th April 2013, 09:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gimmebanana View Post
thats the wrong attitude dude. instead of persuading and trying ways to avoid chinese. u should face it and try your best to pass it. bring out the fight dude. winner never quit. quitters never win.
I do acknowledge that I am avoiding Chinese.
Thanks for trying to passionate me with the will to fight.
( I don't know what to say )
It's impossible for me to pass it for I have lost interest in Chinese. (There you have it, what you may call me trying to escape.)

But have this feeling that CLB may either make or break.
Continuing current scheme of Chinese will definitely break.
Still, wondering what to write for appeal letters/e-mail such as this.

Old 21st April 2013, 12:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
katnanw is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

im not trying to teach you the wrong stuffs here LOL.
i managed to drop chinese to CLB on my first day of secondary 2.
the teacher just came into my room and called out my name, along w a few others , to go to another room to study MT . LOL.
honestly during CLB we had our music on, we talked amongst ourselves, we joked and laugh.

but when the time came to do our class tests and O level clb examinations, we were serious.
and yes, ended up with a fail most of the time in class but hey, i passed my o levels. cant rememeber, was it distinction or something? my chinese teacher told me it meant that i did very well and she actually cried (my CLB o levels was 2 years ago lol )

for someone who has never passed chinese since i was in primary 1, i think you need a little more determination and perseverance. but if you really cant do it, then master your english well. i made up for it by having an A1 in english, you can do it

Anyway, I am honestly ashamed of not being able to speak or read chinese as my cousins do very well in their mother tongue and the older ones did really well in university.
Whatever it is, different people do well in different areas of life. You may not be good in your chinese but who said you're not gonna be a successful person? Some people may disagree but to each his own.

Goodluck young one ;D

Last edited by katnanw; 21st April 2013 at 12:16 AM.
katnanw is offline   Add to katnanw's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 01:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
tastycaramel is on a distinguished road

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am currently a secondary 3 express student taking Chinese basic and I am way more worse than you. Despite the fact that I am taking Chinese basic, I still fail the bloody subject. The reason is because I cannot read, write nor read the Chinese words. The worst part? I am not able to drop the subject as 'it is too late'.

Honestly, I wouldn't give a single f*** about whether I fail Chinese basic or not. But unfortunately, you cannot be admitted to jc without a pass in Chinese basic in your o levels. With that, I guess I would have to suffer in poly

Sent from my N7005 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

tastycaramel is offline   Add to tastycaramel's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 03:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
General_Zhaoyun is just really niceGeneral_Zhaoyun is just really niceGeneral_Zhaoyun is just really nice

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Judging from what you've written, your Chinese must be primary 1 standard even though you're in Sec 3. Your literacy in Chinese is only 10%. You will need to build up your vocabulary. Get a tutor will help.

You will need to learn to listen and understand Chinese, as well as practise speaking.

My suggestion: Take a break, go for 1 year immersion program in Taiwan and you will love Chinese. That's the fastest way to improve your Chinese. Immerse in a Complete Pure Chinese speaking environment is the fastest way to learn.

Imagine you're now in China or Taiwan, and you need to speak and do everything in Chinese. How do you accomplish it?

Think in Chinese and learn how to speak in Chinese e.g. ask yourself "how do I speak this sentence in Chinese ".....".

If I'm poor in English, do I ask "Can I drop English?"..

Last edited by General_Zhaoyun; 22nd April 2013 at 03:48 PM.
General_Zhaoyun is offline   Add to General_Zhaoyun's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 04:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Aeronova is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tetrahedron View Post
Agreed with the above.

You are a Chinese by root. So it will do you good if you actually help yourself in learning Mandarin properly to a certain standard. I am not saying that you must embrace it, but at least make the effort. You can write to MOE to drop to CLB, but don't totally throw the towel for the language.
I dropped Malay for MLB for my O'Levels, because I was bad at the language. My parents were mixed heritage (Chinese dad, Malay mum), so English was the preferred use of communication in my family.

I don't believe in forcing you to soldier on for Chinese, I was in your shoes before, I know the feeling. Besides, I didn't require Mother Tongue for what I wanted to pursue, I was going for a Mass Comm diploma. (which I eventually got, thank God) So hopefully you have something planned out that does not require the need for MT. (Engineering, Life Sciences, etc.)

However, I was close to my mother's side of the family, and I didn't like the idea of talking to them in English when they were used to the Malay language. I poured effort during the exams and eventually got off with a merit.

I agree with Tetrahedron, try for CLB. Especially when you're a pure Chinese, you'll feel ostracized from your relatives. There's no harm in getting only a pass, as long as you show you did something about it. Who knows? You might even end up with a distinction!

Good luck to you.

Aeronova is offline   Add to Aeronova's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Honesty is a virtue~
Tetrahedron is a jewel in the roughTetrahedron is a jewel in the rough

Liked 156 Times in 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeronova View Post
I dropped Malay for MLB for my O'Levels, because I was bad at the language. My parents were mixed heritage (Chinese dad, Malay mum), so English was the preferred use of communication in my family.

I don't believe in forcing you to soldier on for Chinese, I was in your shoes before, I know the feeling. Besides, I didn't require Mother Tongue for what I wanted to pursue, I was going for a Mass Comm diploma. (which I eventually got, thank God) So hopefully you have something planned out that does not require the need for MT. (Engineering, Life Sciences, etc.)

However, I was close to my mother's side of the family, and I didn't like the idea of talking to them in English when they were used to the Malay language. I poured effort during the exams and eventually got off with a merit.

I agree with Tetrahedron, try for CLB. Especially when you're a pure Chinese, you'll feel ostracized from your relatives. There's no harm in getting only a pass, as long as you show you did something about it. Who knows? You might even end up with a distinction!

Good luck to you.
Couldn't say more. It is not only for your roots, but potentially your relatives and chinese friends as well.
Originally Posted by General_Zhaoyun View Post
Judging from what you've written, your Chinese must be primary 1 standard even though you're in Sec 3. Your literacy in Chinese is only 10%. You will need to build up your vocabulary. Get a tutor will help.

You will need to learn to listen and understand Chinese, as well as practise speaking.

My suggestion: Take a break, go for 1 year immersion program in Taiwan and you will love Chinese. That's the fastest way to improve your Chinese. Immerse in a Complete Pure Chinese speaking environment is the fastest way to learn.

Imagine you're now in China or Taiwan, and you need to speak and do everything in Chinese. How do you accomplish it?

Think in Chinese and learn how to speak in Chinese e.g. ask yourself "how do I speak this sentence in Chinese ".....".

If I'm poor in English, do I ask "Can I drop English?"..
Sadly I think this is simply not possible for TS. You must consider that TS is only in Secondary school and will find it tough to live by himself (or herself) unless the parents shift to Taiwan. What's more is the amount of money and wealth involved in preparing for such immersion program.

However I do agree that TS need to try to immerse itself into a mandarin-speaking routine. Perhaps try asking your friends to teach you some basic mandarin. Ask your parents to co-operate and speak mandarin as well. Sooner or later you will grow to be rather proficient in the spoken language and lay a foundation for written language.

To TS: Perhaps consult your Chinese HOD regarding this issues. At worst find the school principal. They will tell you how to write. Or even help you write to MOE.

Last edited by Tetrahedron; 22nd April 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Tetrahedron is offline   Add to Tetrahedron's Reputation Reply With Quote