How to Find Motivation for the Things You Hate Doing - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Workplace and Business Forum » How to Find Motivation for the Things You Hate Doing

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2008, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
uyen has a spectacular aura about

How to Find Motivation for the Things You Hate Doing

Everyone has things they hate to do, but need to do anyway. Sometimes it is doing basic chores that need to be done. In other cases, it’s the boring part of an otherwise interesting project. People who get things finished (as opposed to people who just get things started) have mastered the ability to push through the things they hate doing, to work on the things they love.

Getting over activities you hate means combating a special type of procrastination. Everyone procrastinates. Even on things that they normally enjoy doing. I occasionally procrastinate with writing, even though it is one of my favorite things to do.

While a few minutes or an hour of procrastination for a neutral task happens occasionally, you can procrastinate for years on the jobs you really hate. If there are things on your to-do list that never make it to the top, you probably know which jobs these are.

Stomaching Unappetizing Work

There are a few strategies you can use to make bad tasting tasks a little more pleasant. The first is simply to focus on it. You might have noticed that you chew a lot more when you don’t like the food in your mouth. This is probably an instinctive reaction to force you to carefully examine what you’re going to eat before you swallow.

You can do the same thing with the work you don’t like. By focusing on boring or awful work, it is easier to overcome your reflex to spit it out and work on something else. I’ve often found that focusing on work intensely can even make me like tasks I once hated. I normally hate cleaning, but if I invest 100% of my attention towards it, the chore becomes a lot more fun.

Normally, the first reaction to unenjoyable tasks is to “get it over with”. Finishing as quickly as possible so you can move on to something better. However, with this attitude, it is a lot easier to never get started at all, and procrastinate forever.

Try taking a reversed approach. The next time you have an activity you hate, commit to focus on it completely. Invest all of your mental energy and concentrate on the activity until there is nothing else in the world. You might be surprised how much easier the task becomes when you do this.

Make it an Art

Sometimes tasks can be unenjoyable simply because there is no quality in doing them. For me, writing an article is more enjoyable than cleaning dishes. While an article has incredible depth, ranging from complete trash to life affirming, dishwashing is a narrower activity. I either clean the dishes or they stay dirty. That on-off approach usually makes a task incredibly boring.

One solution I’ve found is simply to take that on-off task and give it more depth. See your boring activity as a previously unrecognized art form you can master. When you give an activity more depth, the interest level goes way up. More importantly, it becomes easier to focus on the task completely, making it easy to swallow.

Several years ago I did part-time work as a janitor. Although this wasn’t a glorious position, I found I was able to enjoy it by doing this step. Instead of seeing my job as being an on-off task, I gave it more depth. I saw that there were many ways I could increase the quality of what I did. Taking on those little steps made the work far more enjoyable.

Leverage Yourself With Another goal

Despite your best efforts, the first two steps might not work. In those cases, trying to transform an ugly task into a beautiful activity won’t help. You might be better off just trying to get the work done, instead of wrapping a bow around it.

The first way you can push through the muck is to use your goals as leverage. Reconnect with why you started important projects and how any activity fits into your bigger picture of success. If you can do this, you can bring some of the motivation towards your final goal and use it to finish an ugly task.

This is why it is important to constantly remind yourself of your goals, and why they are important to you. Those reminders are often necessary to push through the tasks that don’t excite you.

Don’t Do the Work at All

The best solution is to simply not do the work you don’t enjoy. This may sound like a fantasy, but there are ways you can get away with avoiding the stuff that doesn’t interest you:

Outsource or delegate it to someone else.

Eliminate it from your project. (Is it really necessary?)

Find a better way to do it. Technology and tricks can often help you shortcut boring steps into ones that are more interesting.

Ultimately, you should try to minimize the amount of work you need to do, but don’t enjoy. Productivity shouldn’t be about pushing through the muck, but enjoying work you love. However, if you can’t get yourself to stop procrastinating on an ugly task, these are a few ways to move through it.

-chain mail-

Sponsors:

不是施舍而是关怀。

不是表面的礼貌,

而是内心的尊重。

Friends will bail you out of jail.but Best Friends will be sitting by you saying,
" that was awesome !"

Last edited by uyen; 30th July 2008 at 10:15 AM.
Add to uyen's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
yoongkheong is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How to Find Motivation for the Things You Hate Doing

Find the interesting part out of the boring ones... For instance, while a routine task might be dreary, you could always look around for the random happenings now and then. It might be the different customers, etc

Old 6th August 2008, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
PinkLady has a spectacular aura about

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

i tink the only motivation is when i get my salary

PinkLady is offline   Add to PinkLady's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Voodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to behold

Liked 222 Times in 196 Posts

Money and Increasement is my motivation.

*Have fun on SGClub but pls READ the RULES, Report Bad Posts and Give Reputation to Good Ones!*
Voodoo Vince is offline   Add to Voodoo Vince's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Nutrition Park is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yups.. think about the advantages of doing the work you hate.. get the motivation, push aside negative thoughts and chiong all the way!!

Nutrition Park is offline   Add to Nutrition Park's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Kairin22 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

remind yourself that u get paid for work you dislike and that time will pass very fast..

Kairin22 is offline   Add to Kairin22's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
New SGClubber
unSTyled-90 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i personally find that, other than keepin this job for money's sake, u shld find something u knw u love to do and persue in it.. through wat u're doin for the motivation, u'll find wat u need in the job dat u dun like..

unSTyled-90 is offline   Add to unSTyled-90's Reputation Reply With Quote