How do you know if a "gift" is from God or Satan? - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read SGCShop  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Singapore Christian Forums » How do you know if a "gift" is from God or Satan?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
xamtaro is a jewel in the roughxamtaro is a jewel in the roughxamtaro is a jewel in the roughxamtaro is a jewel in the roughxamtaro is a jewel in the roughxamtaro is a jewel in the rough

Credits: 175
Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Default How do you know if a "gift" is from God or Satan?

How do you know if a sudden blessing is truly a gift from God or a trojan horse from Satan?

They say Satan is the lord of lies so i would tally with his style to send "trick gifts" to us.
i've seen a number of real life cases where a prayer was "answered"(the guy got what he prayed for) but his life changed for the worse after that.

One example is my old secondary school friend.
He always prayed for love and a good girlfriend and he got his prayer answered. He and the girl seemed made for each other and with all the characteristics that he likes.
But a year later, he's still with that girl, but he has gone down the road of sin. Premarital sex, gang activity, even got in trouble with the law(I actually have a question about this but i think i leave to after i consult my cell leader...). Why he change so much? Influence from that girl.

My dad's colleague goes to the same church as me. Got that promotion he was praying for but he Invested in something and ended up losing a lot more. end up got divorced.

So how do we tell if a sudden blessing is really a gift from God or a trick from Satan that would be good now but would lead to suffering later on? I dont think God's gifts would lead us to suffering later on right? But we wont know until the suffering strikes us right?

Add to xamtaro's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
elvineve is on a distinguished road

Credits: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How do you know if a "gift" is from God or Satan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamtaro View Post
How do you know if a sudden blessing is truly a gift from God or a trojan horse from Satan?

In time to come, we will find out. We can only develop our ability to hear/discern by seeking Him. This means focusing first on our relationship with Christ. Apart from abiding in Him, we can do nothing else.

elvineve is offline   Add to elvineve's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Songwriter
theliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to behold

Credits: 240
Liked 174 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
They say Satan is the lord of lies so i would tally with his style to send "trick gifts" to us.
i've seen a number of real life cases where a prayer was "answered"(the guy got what he prayed for) but his life changed for the worse after that.

So how do we tell if a sudden blessing is really a gift from God or a trick from Satan that would be good now but would lead to suffering later on? I dont think God's gifts would lead us to suffering later on right? But we wont know until the suffering strikes us right?
O.o
God is the one who answers our prayers. He is the one who give us our traits, who gives us our giftings and abilities. He gives all these to us so that we can bless others around us with it.
I highly doubt Satan can "give" us gifts - all he can do is to whisper lies into our minds.
If Satan was able to give us false gifts, then he will be as powerful as God Himself, which we know that he isn't

However, how we want to use or abuse our giftings, is another question.
Example: Someone gives me a knife.
I can use it to do good and make the tastiest food anyone has eaten.
However, I can also use it to do evil by slitting people's throats with it.

We still live in a sinful world, and we ourselves are sinners. We can choose to follow God and do what He wants us to do, or disobey Him and do what He commanded us what not to do.
It is the same thing with our giftings. We can use it to honour God, or we can use it to go against Him. It is a choice that we make.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0.
, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0.
theliverevoluti is offline   Add to theliverevoluti's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
smallbum will become famous soon enoughsmallbum will become famous soon enough

Credits: 5
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I doubt the evil one gives us "gift" too. God bestow us with gifts, the evil one tries to MANIPULATE them. We need to have wisdom, to have discernment, to have discipline to follow God faithfully.

Whenever we get our prayers answered Praise the Lord, use it to glorify Him. For eg the old sec school friend could have influenced his gf to turn over a new leaf & NOT join in the bad company.

Regarding your dad's colleague, he got promoted, he should be thankful to the Lord, he could have done more marketplace ministry, contribute more $ to missions, to the less fortunate.... But instead he used it to make some risky investment!!! <--- I believe the investment decision was not from God, it's the sin of greed.

smallbum is offline   Add to smallbum's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
knyghtryder will become famous soon enoughknyghtryder will become famous soon enoughknyghtryder will become famous soon enough

Credits: 101
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theliverevoluti View Post
O.o
God is the one who answers our prayers. He is the one who give us our traits, who gives us our giftings and abilities. He gives all these to us so that we can bless others around us with it.
I highly doubt Satan can "give" us gifts - all he can do is to whisper lies into our minds.
If Satan was able to give us false gifts, then he will be as powerful as God Himself, which we know that he isn't
if satan can't give gifts then what's the whole point of Jesus being tempted in the desert?
if all the things that satan promised couldn't really be done, then it wasn't much of a temptation.

I quote you a passage that seems to disagree with you.

Luke 4:5-7
The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. And he said to him, "I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. So if you worship me, it will all be yours."

knyghtryder is offline   Add to knyghtryder's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Songwriter
theliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by knyghtryder View Post
if satan can't give gifts then what's the whole point of Jesus being tempted in the desert?
if all the things that satan promised couldn't really be done, then it wasn't much of a temptation.

I quote you a passage that seems to disagree with you.

Luke 4:5-7
The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. And he said to him, "I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. So if you worship me, it will all be yours."
We know that Satan is a master of lies. He was lying when he told Jesus that he could give all the people's authority.
And how does he do it? He spreads lies to the people, turn them away from God so that they cannot hear God's voice telling them the truth, thus being deceived by the devil.

What we're discussing, I believe, is other gifts. Could be gifts of music, art, wisdom, knowledge, etc.
Can the devil give you the gift of music? No.
Can he make you more artistic? No.
Can he make you more knowledgable in your studies? No.
He can only use what God has given you, and manipulate you to bastardize your gift so that it does not honour nor please God

, and
theliverevoluti is offline   Add to theliverevoluti's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
xamtaro is a jewel in the roughxamtaro is a jewel in the roughxamtaro is a jewel in the roughxamtaro is a jewel in the roughxamtaro is a jewel in the roughxamtaro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
We know that Satan is a master of lies. He was lying when he told Jesus that he could give all the people's authority.
And how does he do it? He spreads lies to the people, turn them away from God so that they cannot hear God's voice telling them the truth, thus being deceived by the devil.

What we're discussing, I believe, is other gifts. Could be gifts of music, art, wisdom, knowledge, etc.
Can the devil give you the gift of music? No.
Can he make you more artistic? No.
Can he make you more knowledgable in your studies? No.
He can only use what God has given you, and manipulate you to bastardize your gift so that it does not honour nor please God
If he can lie, why not tricks?

Like i said, Trojan horse style. Im not talking about abilities like music and art but those little windfalls like the promotion in a job or a new girlfriend.

knightryder>>>>ya i was about to quote the temptation in the desert too. lol

smallbum>>but god has his divine plan for all of us right? He knows the results of our choices and where our choices will lead. Why then will he give gifts that he knows will result in going down the bad path and like the case of my friend, even cause a originally faithful christian to turn away from him?

xamtaro is offline   Add to xamtaro's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
knyghtryder will become famous soon enoughknyghtryder will become famous soon enoughknyghtryder will become famous soon enough

Credits: 101
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
yeah, but don't forget that he is talking to Jesus, who would know if it were a lie. The fact that it was a credible temptation has to mean that there is truth in that statement. Otherwise it wouldn't be "Jesus tempted in the desert".

See how Jesus replies to Satan for the temptation, He doesn't say "you lie" or even words to that effect. He says "It is written: 'Worship the Lord your God and serve him only." which means that he is saying no to worshipping Satan rather than disagreeing with Satan that Satan could not do the things he claimed.

Don't forget that there is at least one instance recorded in the Bible in which God did give Satan power over someone - Job chapter 1 verse 12 and Job 2.

Also look up 2 Corinthians 4:4 and see the allusion to the 'god of this age'
Then there is Ephesians 2:2 - who is the 'ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient'
Then there is John 12:31 - who is the 'prince of this world' who will be driven out by God's judgement?

While I certainly agree that Satan does not have complete authority over everything, he does appear to have some limited authority in the earthly sphere. This can be traced all the way back to Eden.

knyghtryder is offline   Add to knyghtryder's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Songwriter

Quote:
Like i said, Trojan horse style. Im not talking about abilities like music and art but those little windfalls like the promotion in a job or a new girlfriend.
Still, in the end, it is how you want to deal with it. The main thing at the end of the day, is whether you walk close to God and use those to honour Him.
I have a girlfriend as well, and I know the temptations of engaging in pre-marital sex is very, very tempting. It didn't help when I was in NS, as everyone was engaging in it and I was one of the few odd ones that didn't.
But truth of the matter is, I chose to honour God. I chose to keep myself a virgin, because that is what He commanded. I chose to honour God in my relationship and set an example for the younger youths in my church, to show how two young Christians can properly date

Again, I use the knife theory.
If let's say Satan can realy give me these trojan horse gifts, he can give me a knife and tell me to kill someone.
But whether I choose to use the knife to kill someone, or to make food, is entirely my choice. I can choose to listen to Satan or I can choose to listen to God, who told me not to kill.

knghtyrider - akan datang. I go back and research first, Paiseh!

, and
Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Quote:
Still, in the end, it is how you want to deal with it. The main thing at the end of the day, is whether you walk close to God and use those to honour Him.
I have a girlfriend as well, and I know the temptations of engaging in pre-marital sex is very, very tempting. It didn't help when I was in NS, as everyone was engaging in it and I was one of the few odd ones that didn't.
But truth of the matter is, I chose to honour God. I chose to keep myself a virgin, because that is what He commanded. I chose to honour God in my relationship and set an example for the younger youths in my church, to show how two young Christians can properly date

Again, I use the knife theory.
If let's say Satan can realy give me these trojan horse gifts, he can give me a knife and tell me to kill someone.
But whether I choose to use the knife to kill someone, or to make food, is entirely my choice. I can choose to listen to Satan or I can choose to listen to God, who told me not to kill.

knghtyrider - akan datang. I go back and research first, Paiseh!
admirable traits. Thats what i call strength of character. I really dont know how to help my friend back on the right path..................but i think i'll ponder that some other time and focus on this first.

But if god knows our courses of action(since he is all knowing), then he would know already of that knife would be used to make food or cut ppl.
If he knows its going to be the latter, why let the person who is going to cut people, have it to cut people?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Songwriter

Quote:
But if god knows our courses of action(since he is all knowing), then he would know already of that knife would be used to make food or cut ppl.
If he knows its going to be the latter, why let the person who is going to cut people, have it to cut people?
I was reading Isaiah the other day, and in it, God wrote this:

Isaiah55:8-9:
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD.
"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts."

To be honest, we do not and will never know on this earth, why God allow things to happen. Why did God allow the Asian Tsunami to kill so many people in 2004? Why did the earthquake in Haiti and Chile occur? To be honest, we don't know - only God knows, and His thoughts, His ways and His thinking far surpasses us. We can never try to rationalize it, because it is beyond our finite understanding.
Let me cross-reference another verse

Deuteronomy29
"The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever, that we may observe all the words of this law."

Basically, what this means is that God will reveal those He would reveal to us. What He doesn't reveal, will stay hidden until He decides to reveal it to us
At first, I grappled with it as well. I had gone through very bad and tough times even as a Christian, that sometimes I really cry out to God and ask Him why was He letting me go through this. And God never answered me then.
It was only much later that He finally revealed His intention to me, and it makes me realize that I've changed for the better

So, back to your friend. Why did God allow it to happen? To be honest, we don't know until God decides to reveal it to us, or to him as well. What we can do is to continue to pray for your friend. Like the parable of the lost sheep, God will continuously seek after us until He finds us. Just place your trust in God's promise

, and
Old 12-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

wow thanks for that.

But actually what i was gunning at with my previous post was something like ......

\"But if god knows our courses of action(since he is all knowing), then he would know already of that knife would be used to make food or cut ppl.
If he knows its 'going to be the latter, why let the person who is going to cut people, have it to cut people? "

hence why i think that whoever allowed a knife to be given to someone who, in the near future as a result of that knife, will kill someone else ,can't be God but Satan.

Then how does one discern small blessings like winning a lucky draw? If it really is a blessing from God, it would lead to good things. If it is a trick from Satan, it would lead to bad things.

so......there is no way of knowing until the end result shows itself???

Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
so......there is no way of knowing until the end result shows itself???

To be immensely practical, one just have to be spiritually awake when making decisions. We should not be over concerned with the question you raised because God is still sovereign, even if He allows the adversary to roam around. The real issue is whether we are walking in the Spirit or in tune with the Spirit. We will not stray when we focus on Him.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Songwriter

Quote:
wow thanks for that.

But actually what i was gunning at with my previous post was something like ......

\"But if god knows our courses of action(since he is all knowing), then he would know already of that knife would be used to make food or cut ppl.
If he knows its 'going to be the latter, why let the person who is going to cut people, have it to cut people? "
Bro, lol. That WAS my point.
The thing is, God already knows what evil intents we have in our heart and how we're going to abuse everything. But the thing is, He still allows it to happen.
He can easily spread His hand and make us do something else. He can easily control us like robots if He wanted to. But the thing is, He doesn't.
The thing is, going back to your question, why He allows it to happen, it is something I would say, "only God knows".
Why He lets it happen? He has already declared in Isaiah that we will never comprehend because well, He's God and He knows everything. He already knows what is going to happen even before it happens.

He sees the causes and the effects of every single decision that we are going to make.

Ultimately, why He allows it, we will never know. But all we can do is that we can trust that God has the situation in His hands, and that for every bad thing that happens to us or around us, it'll be for a purpose

, and
Old 12-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Quote:
Bro, lol. That WAS my point.
The thing is, God already knows what evil intents we have in our heart and how we're going to abuse everything. But the thing is, He still allows it to happen.
He can easily spread His hand and make us do something else. He can easily control us like robots if He wanted to. But the thing is, He doesn't.
The thing is, going back to your question, why He allows it to happen, it is something I would say, "only God knows".
Why He lets it happen? He has already declared in Isaiah that we will never comprehend because well, He's God and He knows everything. He already knows what is going to happen even before it happens.

He sees the causes and the effects of every single decision that we are going to make.

Ultimately, why He allows it, we will never know. But all we can do is that we can trust that God has the situation in His hands, and that for every bad thing that happens to us or around us, it'll be for a purpose
but isnt that kinda like a father giving the scorpion to his son. He knows the scorpion will sting him.

elvineve>>>But what about things that are beyond our control. Like my dad's colleague. How was he to know that his investmend would bomb?

Last edited by xamtaro; 12-03-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Songwriter

Quote:
but isnt that kinda like a father giving the scorpion to his son. He knows the scorpion will sting him.
Not really. I believe that is two different contexts, but let me check.
(I should really bring my study bible to work. lol)
God doesn't give us bad things, but He allows it to happen. He allows us to go through trials, temptations and sufferings to allow us to be the person that He wants us to be. It is like gold refined in a furnace. It is only we've been through all the trials and sufferings (the illustration of the fire) that we come out like pure gold

, and
Old 12-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Quote:
Not really. I believe that is two different contexts, but let me check.
(I should really bring my study bible to work. lol)
God doesn't give us bad things, but He allows it to happen. He allows us to go through trials, temptations and sufferings to allow us to be the person that He wants us to be. It is like gold refined in a furnace. It is only we've been through all the trials and sufferings (the illustration of the fire) that we come out like pure gold
I dont think God wants my friend to be a crass, sex addicted, car window smashing punk.
Who'd want that if his ultimate goal is for us to return to him in heaven?

Old 12-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
elvineve>>>But what about things that are beyond our control. Like my dad's colleague. How was he to know that his investmend would bomb?

It takes spiritual maturity to acknowledge that some things are beyond our control. Is the decision to invest or not, within our control? Investments certainly involve risks and one should seek God for wisdom before entering into major investments. In general, greed more than often blind the heart, so it is always good to wait upon the Lord to reflect on our heart conditions. I would just like to point out that the abuses of gift does not imply that the nature of the gift is not good in itself. A gift can be good, and yet be abused. This is where stewardship comes into picture. It is also important to understand that it is God's desire that we are transformed into the image of Christ (2 Cor 3:18), or simply to be more Christ-like. Sometimes God uses our weaknesses to teach and to mould us. In a sense, He is still refining us even though we are complete in Him.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Songwriter

Quote:
I dont think God wants my friend to be a crass, sex addicted, car window smashing punk.
Who'd want that if his ultimate goal is for us to return to him in heaven?
Lol, of course God doesn't want your friend to be like that, especially since your friend is also a child of God.

I think this is where the parable of the prodigal son comes in. (Luke15:11-32)

Let me try to explain your friend's situation with relevance to the parable.

Your friend is currently like the prodigal son. With his constant sinning with no repentance, he declares that he is independent from God and attempts to walk life as he sees fit.

(Back then, what the son did was completely against social law. Society then decreed that the father would have to pass away before the inheritance could be divided among his children. Thus, what the son did was a show of outright rebellion against the father)

God, needless to say, is the father of the son. He knows what the son intends on doing, but instead of stopping him, He allows the son to do whatever he wants, despite the fact that He has all the power and authority to stop the son from wondering off.

(Which is a truth - God has all the power and authority. If He wanted, He could rid the whole world of the evil and force us to worship Him. But there would be little point in doing that, for we're mindlessly doing it, not doing it with our heart and soul)

So the son wonders off and live life the way he wants to, spending all his money and continuing to party around like there is no tomorrow. It is never explained what the son did.
Right now, I would like to think that your friend is in this situation. He is "enjoying life" like there is no tomorrow

After a while, the son becomes penniless. All his friends leave him, and the son tries to find ways to survive. So, he decides to feed pigs as a source of income

(Back then, feeding pigs was the lowest class of job available. If you were a pig-feeder, you were looked down upon, even by servants and slaves)

So the son then decides that he had enough, and realized by rebelling against his father, he has only led himself into a life of meaninglessness and discomfort. Abandoned, alone, etc - he's at the lowest point of his life

So he decides to go back to his father, hoping that his father would give him employment as a servant, to find some meaning in his life.

However, instead of that, the father embraces his son and forgives him on the spot.

Okay, so what am I trying to drive at?
The point I'm trying to drive at is that no matter what we've done in the past, God is still willing to forgive us no matter what we've done. We may have done numerous sins, we may have done things that should not even be done, and unforgivable in God's eyes. But as long as we go back to God in repentance, God is willing to forgive us.

You said that it is unlikely that God wants us to be a complete ruffian. Yes, I understand that. However, he allows us to go through these for a reason.
To be very honest, I understand how your friend is like. I used to be a little bit like him.

Back then in Sec 4, I was uncouth, a little bit of a ruffian. I wasn't a downright ah beng, but I was very unruly.
Which is ironic because I grew up in a Christian family, and grew up in church. I had learnt about God since young, but to be honest, back then, it was mere head knowledge. It didn't mean anything to me - I had not grabbed and hold onto my faith and called it mine. I just took it for granted.
Anyway, I met this girl. She seemed quite nice, a little sweet, and we clicked well. One thing I completely overlooked (and couldn't be bothered about it then) was that she was relatively open-minded. "Dirty talk" wasn't new to her, and she liked to talk about that at times. Well, being only 16, hormones raging, I fell for it.
Hook. Line. Sinker. Ouch.
Another thing I overlooked - she wasn't Christian. She was a free-thinker
So we started dating. At first, these dates started off quite innocently. We would go for dinner, talk, etc etc. It soon began to get a little physical - hold hands, lie on each other's lap, kiss, etc.
Well, I entered JC, she entered Poly. The fact that we were staying quite a distance from each other and didn't get to see each other often allowed her to doubt my sincerity to her. She was afraid I'll run away, thus bringing a false sense of insecurity.
So, in an attempt to keep me to her, she thought it was fine that we began to be a little sexually intimate. After all, to us, sexual intimacy is a form of love. However, it was the wrong type of love (more of lust, on both our sides) and at the wrong time. So she initiated the intimacy, and I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Ouch
(What we did? I'll write it down below)
So came one very difficult patch. We were arguing over I-don't-know-what, and came a period of time that we refused to talk to each other.
It so happened that in JC, I had a huge tiff with another girl in class. Over what? I've forgotten. The only thing I remembered is that it felt that as if the whole class was on her side. Yes, I have a problem of paranoia.
So I was afraid, felt abandoned, alone, cold.
There was this other Christian girl in the class. One friday, she called me, out of nowhere. Asked me how I was doing. I told her my girlfriend issues, the problems I have in class, at home, etc. And we talked. She told me to hang on, that God will see me through this difficult patch.
I was like: "Heh, God? Why is He allowing me to go through this anyway?"
So she explained it to me. We go through difficult patches of life so that God can refine us the way He wants us to be. We are like impure gold, and the trials and tribulations are like fire. It is only when we go through the fire that we are converted to pure gold - the person that God wants us to be.
That day (or around that period), I went back to God. I laid all my burdens upon Him. I told Him that I can't go through this alone, that I needed Him to guide me. In other words, I had grabbed onto my faith tightly, and called it mine. And He began to show me His ways.
Okay, so what does this have to do with the first part?
Well, one of the first things He told me is that I was in a bad relationship. Those minor sexual trysts that I was enjoying with my ex, well, they were wrong. He has commanded that I should keep myself sexually pure for my wife. My ex, wasn't my wife, because we weren't married.
(Ah, now I shall explain. Up to today, I thank God that we had not gone too deep into this sin. We had done some petting, and that was all. No sex of any of the three forms. But that's not the point. The point is, even petting, considered the mildest form of sexual intimacy, is a form of sexual intimacy, and it should be reserved for your marriage.)
So I stopped doing so. I told my ex why, and she reluctantly agreed. But again, she began to have doubts. To her, intimacy was a form of love, but because of my re-found faith in God, I stopped.
Eventually, God showed me that it was not good to continue dating with her. It was only leading to even more troubles, and I was standing on the front porch of temptation. A Christian is not free from temptation. By continuing to date her, I was literally standing on the cliff. At any moment, I could fall over the edge and back to my old ways.
So, I broke up with her.

For the past few years, I've been grappling with why God had allowed me to go through that difficult time. Why couldn't He had pulled me out any earlier? Why did He let me go through it?
It was very much later that He revealed why - He wanted me to hate sin. He wanted to draw me back to Him. If He didn't let me go through that, I will still be very much a yaya Christian - a Christian who says he's a Christian only in name, but does not exhibit Christ-likeness in his life, which makes him no better than an atheist or a free-thinker. If He didn't let me go through that, I would have permanently turned away from Him for good.

And I thank God for what He's done. Like impure gold gone through the furnace, I have emerged a little more purer.
Which explains why I speak very fervently when it comes to pre-marital sex. I seriously detest it - it is against God's commandments, and it is a sin. Having stand at the jaws of death, I know how it would feel like to actually be caught in the trap. And I hate it.
The devil lies to us and says that its alright, its a form of love, it is the greatest form of live. But he never reveals that it is only meant to be with your life partner - your wife.

Okay, so back to my main point.
Your friend may be going through the furnace right now. Your friend has wondered away from his father, very much like the prodigal son. He thinks he is independent of God, when actually, he can't be independent from God.
I would suggest, that if you're still in contact with him, do talk to him more often. Get to know him better and slowly ask him to go back to God. Continue to pray for him - he needs your prayers, and never give up on him. Trust in God that He'll do His miracles - and He will do His miracle. But never lose the faith. Never lose hope. Do not forget that God is mighty, and everything will be done in God's time

, and
Old 13-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Kaze.YonGMinG is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pardon me if I make any mistakes here as I've not read the book of Job myself but heard stories about it... Still working hard on reading the word more.

Satan kills, steals and destroy. Chances are sin sneaked into the lives of people as they get too comfy with what they have and stop seeking God's will and use their own instead.
God simply allow things to happen like what happened to Job. He allowed Satan to take away everything to test Job. Only God gives but Satan destroys. Without God's protection things can easily happen or he could just let things happen for a reason. We might not see it but if we trust in the Lord and praise him regardless of time and situation, I'm sure we're on the right track