JC Humanities help - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life > Humanities Help » JC Humanities help

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2009, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
RelicDemon12 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 46 Times in 39 Posts
JC Humanities help

I took my o lvl during 09, which meant that i will be soon choosing my jc. Therefore i want to clarifly about jc humanities subjs.

Economics - This seems to be the most useful subject that many recommend but i know nothing about it.

China Studies in English - Well, i know you know about China what what do you study about? China history? China economics? politics?

Geography/History - Is those still the same as secondary school? Is source based still present?

Thanks in advance

Sponsors:
Add to RelicDemon12's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
sushicrazy88 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: JC Humanities help

So you want to know about Economics?
Well, for starters, yes, Economcis is a very useful subject, and offers a wide range of job opportubities, or so I've been told by the teachers. XD
Basically, if you haven't had any experience in Economics, unless you're a natural in the works of an economy, etc, then you might have a little trouble in the beginning. For my school, we did really badly, such that our grades were altered a lot to push us all up.
I don't know how to tell you what we learn such that you'll understand, but I'll try.
Basically, we learn how the economy works, what it's made up of, the different methods government uses to push or contract an economy, the different policies, effectiveness, different types of unemployment, solutions, etc. And we have to learn about Singapore's economy as well. Both micro and macro. Within a country, and between countries. That's what I've been learning so far anyway. The gist. And more of course.

I have a friend who takes China Studies in Chinese, but I have no idea what exactly do they do. If I'm not wrong, they learn all about China. Not just their geography, but their economy as well? I'm not too sure. But I know my friend has to do SBQ in Chinese. -.- And tons and tons of essays.

For geog and history, yes, it's still the same as in Sec School, but more. And yes, SBQ is still present. But my school hasn't taught us SBQ yet. My teacher says he'll do it next year. :/

Last edited by sushicrazy88; 21st December 2009 at 11:18 PM.
sushicrazy88 is offline   Add to sushicrazy88's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
csisfun is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me just tell you what you learn for the three subjects. I took exactly that - China Studies, History, Econs.

Econs: you ought to see what Sushi gave you. It's more or less the syllabus.

My opinion is that taking up Econs, you learn to... memorise and regurgitate. Then twist your answers so that it awkwardly but convincingly fits the question posed to you by the British. Avoid econs if you don't like to cry. You'll be doing that most of the time in J1 and then some in J2. I got an A, but I got anything but in my whole 2 years. That's reality of Econs.

China Studies in English: easy, simple subject that's a lot like Social Studies based in China. You can breeze through your whole two years doing this subject, only to realise that in the end, the British don't like your answer and gave you a B and people who usually don't get A's get A. It's the most ironic subject ever. But how can you blame it? It's about China: a Communist country with a capitalist economy. Most of the syllabus is concerned with today's China... which when China became ironic:1978.

History: The simplest subject if you know how to smoke. It's very much like sec sch history, but you have to up the ante of your writing. It can give you quite a few headaches if your writing isn't up to JC standard. But don't fret. 2 years is enough to zhng your grades. Got sourced based, but very siong - write an essay based on four sources based on the United Nonsense (UN). The whole UN, in fact. From enviromentalist efforts to that former Nazi UN boss. Still, the easiest subject if your memory, essay ability and speed writing skill is in tact. Use a G2 - less friction while writing - you really need it.

Choose your school wisely too! As a arts streamer, you need quality notes and quality teachers esp for Econs and CSE - remember you have to write a 2500 word paper for CSE in your J2 year assuming you take it at H2. Don't mess around with this paper.

csisfun is offline   Add to csisfun's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
MachCurve is a glorious beacon of lightMachCurve is a glorious beacon of lightMachCurve is a glorious beacon of light

Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts

Originally Posted by csisfun View Post
Let me just tell you what you learn for the three subjects. I took exactly that - China Studies, History, Econs.

Econs: you ought to see what Sushi gave you. It's more or less the syllabus.

My opinion is that taking up Econs, you learn to... memorise and regurgitate. Then twist your answers so that it awkwardly but convincingly fits the question posed to you by the British. Avoid econs if you don't like to cry. You'll be doing that most of the time in J1 and then some in J2. I got an A, but I got anything but in my whole 2 years. That's reality of Econs.

China Studies in English: easy, simple subject that's a lot like Social Studies based in China. You can breeze through your whole two years doing this subject, only to realise that in the end, the British don't like your answer and gave you a B and people who usually don't get A's get A. It's the most ironic subject ever. But how can you blame it? It's about China: a Communist country with a capitalist economy. Most of the syllabus is concerned with today's China... which when China became ironic:1978.

History: The simplest subject if you know how to smoke. It's very much like sec sch history, but you have to up the ante of your writing. It can give you quite a few headaches if your writing isn't up to JC standard. But don't fret. 2 years is enough to zhng your grades. Got sourced based, but very siong - write an essay based on four sources based on the United Nonsense (UN). The whole UN, in fact. From enviromentalist efforts to that former Nazi UN boss. Still, the easiest subject if your memory, essay ability and speed writing skill is in tact. Use a G2 - less friction while writing - you really need it.

Choose your school wisely too! As a arts streamer, you need quality notes and quality teachers esp for Econs and CSE - remember you have to write a 2500 word paper for CSE in your J2 year assuming you take it at H2. Don't mess around with this paper.

Wow great intro you have given here! Which JC are you from? I am taking H2 Hist next year (but I'm hybrid)!

Old 23rd December 2009, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Mach,

I was from some crap JC. So crappy that I'm paiseh to name it. We can discuss it in private...

You just did O levels and waiting to enter JC? What do you mean by hybrid?

Old 25th December 2009, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
MachCurve is a glorious beacon of lightMachCurve is a glorious beacon of lightMachCurve is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Mach,

I was from some crap JC. So crappy that I'm paiseh to name it. We can discuss it in private...

Hello! Nope, I'm from IP.

Hybrid as in taking half Humanities and half Sciences. You finished A levels? O.o Which uni are you going and what course?

Old 26th December 2009, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
RawrGer is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi wow i also finished my O this year. Aiming for ACJC/TPJC next year and taking arts stream.

I'm planning to take H2 Theatre Studies, H2 English Literature, H2 History.

Any comments on my combination? I was actually intending to choose economics too, but could only choose 3 art subjects. Oh well.

RawrGer is offline   Add to RawrGer's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 03:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Moasis is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you can take h1 econs. well you need to have 3 arts sub and 1 sci sub for your sub combination. and econs can be considered as arts / sci

Moasis added 0 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

Hey Mach,

lemme guess,YJ ?

Last edited by Moasis; 8th January 2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Post Bumping
Moasis is offline   Add to Moasis's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 03:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
iNFINITY HiGH will become famous soon enough

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RelicDemon12 View Post
I took my o lvl during 09, which meant that i will be soon choosing my jc. Therefore i want to clarifly about jc humanities subjs.

Economics - This seems to be the most useful subject that many recommend but i know nothing about it.
Econs is the most fun subject to study (or at least to me), and the easiest to understand. And i find that i can apply it to every aspect of daily life, so i don't find it difficult to memorize.

iNFINITY HiGH added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by Moasis View Post
you can take h1 econs. well you need to have 3 arts sub and 1 sci sub for your sub combination. and econs can be considered as arts / sci

lemme guess,YJ ?
hybrid = half half, which is possible in some JCs. Mostly the top plus one.

And i must've been a crappy idiot to choose YJ if it was a crappy sch

o(≧∇≦o) +Rep if this post helped you out/it is simply awesome \(●~▽~●)У

Last edited by iNFINITY HiGH; 8th January 2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Post Bumping
iNFINITY HiGH is offline   Add to iNFINITY HiGH's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
DarR is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moasis View Post

lemme guess,YJ ?
You can't! Economics is categorised as an Arts subject. Most people will take Math as a contrasting subject.

DarR is offline   Add to DarR's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Is Hybrid gonna be a tough road to walk?

Old 9th January 2010, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
PopoCops is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarR View Post
You can't! Economics is categorised as an Arts subject. Most people will take Math as a contrasting subject.
or can take KI if you want to avoid math...

PopoCops is offline   Add to PopoCops's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 11:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopoCops View Post
or can take KI if you want to avoid math...
KI is potentially more difficult than maths, unless you are worse in maths than in talking cock. Personally, any subject that requires you to write a paper is just plain annoying... I won't take KI, for sure.

I totally skipped maths in my JC life. Took H1 Physics instead. Wah happppy man when I saw my results!

Old 10th January 2010, 12:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
PopoCops is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

KI is potentially more difficult than maths, unless you are worse in maths than in talking cock. Personally, any subject that requires you to write a paper is just plain annoying...
to be frank most arts students are pretty good at talking cock and writing essays right?

PopoCops is offline   Add to PopoCops's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 06:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopoCops View Post
to be frank most arts students are pretty good at talking cock and writing essays right?
Haha assuming that the arts student is proficient in his core subjects...