Lady PMET with first class honours jobless and asking for more labour protection - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Workplace and Business Forum » Lady PMET with first class honours jobless and asking for more labour protection

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2015, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
ms.siqi is a jewel in the roughms.siqi is a jewel in the rough

Liked 153 Times in 144 Posts
Lady PMET with first class honours jobless and asking for more labour protection

Lady PMET with first class honours jobless and asking for more labour protection

I am a Singaporean degree holder who has graduated with first class honours from an established university. I even got a first position in my whole entire class for my thesis.

My CV is pretty ‘attractive’, according to the interviewers at the interviews I’ve attended, coupled with the 3 years of working experiences I have in the same industry.

However, till now, I am jobless despite applying to everything, even to jobs outside of my industry. You know why? The reason is simple – FTs are spoiling the market.

I was feeling really depressed when I couldn’t get anything.

So I went to Jobstreet and applied for the jobs there. Good thing about the site is you can actually see who else applied to the same job as you and what industry they come from, as well as the pay they are asking for.

To my dismay, I see 13 foreigners who have higher qualifications applying for the same job – a job that is willing to pay SGD $2,500 to 4,000.

Out of curiosity, I went to check it out. Guess what? All 13 of them are Masters holder and they are asking for WAY LOWER pay than me. I don’t mean $200-300 lower or anything like it.

One of them is a fresh grad with Masters and he/she is asking for RMB 3,500. That is only SGD $1,200+, mind you! Absurd right? That’s even lower than an ITE graduate’s pay.

Another one of them who has a Masters and 10 years of experience is only asking for SGD 2,500, which is the minimum that the job is paying for.

If these people are not spoiling the market, then I don’t know what else they are doing.

And it’s times like this that you start to doubt the credibility of their academic papers.

Because if they are indeed holding onto degree certs from credible institutions – ones whose school fees are expensive – they wouldn’t even be asking for these amount of pay. You don’t need to be genius to figure this out; it’s just common sense.

So @Just A Guy, perhaps you don’t feel it because you are not born here.

But let me tell you, for Singapore citizens who were born and lived here their whole entire lives, listening to their parents and teachers who tell them that if they study hard and get good results, they would get a good job and earn a lot of money, they would feel incredibly disappointed and letdown by Singapore’s current system.

And most importantly, they would actually be dismayed by the government’s lack of interest in protecting the citizens over the foreigners.

As a PRC, I’m sure you are currently enjoying life with a well-paying job – one that pays way better than what your home country has to offer.

Put yourself in our shoes before you post such a lengthy post because you do not understand our situation here.

Jes
Editor’s Note: The article is retrieved from a comment found here.*

- See more at: http://www.transitioning.org/2015/08/10/lady-pmet-with-first-class-honours-jobless-and-asking-for-more-labour-protection/#sthash.xBOFEik8.dpuf

Sponsors:
Add to ms.siqi's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
sunnyncool is a jewel in the roughsunnyncool is a jewel in the rough

Liked 113 Times in 98 Posts
Re: Lady PMET with first class honours jobless and asking for more labour protection

Has the article been verified?

sunnyncool is offline   Add to sunnyncool's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
JetGrey is just really niceJetGrey is just really niceJetGrey is just really nice

Liked 181 Times in 129 Posts
Re: Lady PMET with first class honours jobless and asking for more labour protection

I'm curious to know.. How much did she expect? If she expected somewhere around $3k, they might have considered her. If she's asking for $4k, then maybe that's why she's not getting the job.

JetGrey is offline   Add to JetGrey's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts

good point, but i guess this is not an article but rather a comment left by some netizen. Unless some organisation or reporter chooses to verify it, it will not be verified.

But as far as i understand, companies must abide by the FTs ratio to local employment. So even if there are many FTs applying for the job, doesn't mean companies can take them easily. Many companies are forced to take locals because of the ratio.

Old 13th September 2015, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Bukitimah is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am sure she could land a job by lowering her expectations. It is not about u able to find one but being squeeze out.

Bukitimah is offline   Add to Bukitimah's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
ms.siqi is a jewel in the roughms.siqi is a jewel in the rough

Liked 153 Times in 144 Posts

If only she can lower her salary expectation.

ms.siqi is offline   Add to ms.siqi's Reputation Reply With Quote