Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Sports Forum > Soccer Forums > Liverpool Fan Club » Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2010, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber
tcd is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal

Talk of fresh dawns was rife around Anfield ahead of kick-off. On the final whistle it was errors rather than new eras which dominated conversation. However, there was enough about the battling display, more than half of which was completed a man worse off, to suggest there would be no false dawns.

Indeed there should be confidence about a good showing this term.

There would have been three points to begin the campaign with as The Reds seemed a good bet to hold on to the slender advantage Ngog earned soon after the restart but a fumble from Pepe Reina as normal time eked away gifted Arsenal a share of the opening day spoils.

As expected started on the bench Fernando Torres. Joe Cole supporting David Ngog while Steven Gerrard operated from midfield in partnership with Javier Mascherano.

Cole’s Anfield debut was marred when he was dismissed close to the break following a foul on Laurent Koscielny. The defender left the field on a stretcher and only failed to finish the game as he too saw red after committing a second bookable offence during in injury time.

Liverpool opened relatively well. Dirk Kuyt and Glen Johnson carved a few holes into the Arsenal defence though the final ball sometimes lacked the necessary accuracy.

On the other flank Milan Jovanovic should have at least tested Manuel Almunia after beating the offside trap but blazed an effort into the stands when choosing to shoot rather than look towards the area.

Arsenal saw much of the ball but created relatively little with it. Other than a Thomas Vermaelen free-kick Reina had little to repel.

Close to the half-time Johnson forced a fingertip save. Ngog’s header from the corner conceded was blocked on the line.

Those minutes surrounding the interval seemed likely to be pivotal. Arsenal had dominated an opening period which ended with Cole making his way down the players‘ tunnel marginally ahead of his colleagues. A lunge for the ball and connection with the player saw Martin Atkinson decide it was a dangerous challenge which merited a straight red.

Whether the former Chelsea man, who is now set to miss the next three games, felt some frustration at seeing so little of the ball is unclear. Though it seems unlikely that a player who has received so much harsh treatment since making his debut with West Ham United 11 years ago would allow his temper to boil over in such a manner.

His motivation is more likely to have been desire to stop Koscielny mounting one last raid against an often beleaguered backline.

Soon after the ten remaining men emerged Ngog continued his run of early season form thrashing the ball in from just inside the area.

Mascherano - never looking like a man seeking a transfer despite his well publicised desire to leave - sent the ball through for the French striker who seemed to catch Almunia out by his speed of movement.

Matters followed a similar pattern to the opening half and once again though Liverpool lacked possession they had the better chances. Almost exclusively from set-pieces. That was also the story for the Gunners with Theo Walcott testing Reina.

In the closing stages Tomas Rosicky clubbed an effort goal wards. Reina helped it over his bar and the corner was successful defended.

That seemed likely to be the keeper’s final meaningful contribution until a combination of losing Rosicky’s cross as Marouane Chamakh charged in saw the ball bundled onto the post. In attempting to clear the danger Reina who opted to gather rather than scoop away spilled the ball into his own net.

Torres who had not been risked at the start emerged from the bench getting roughly 20 minutes under his belt as he regains fitness.

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Gerrard, Jovanovic (Maxi), Mascherano (Lucas), Kuyt, Cole, Ngog (Torres) Unused Substitutes: Cavalieri, Aurelio, Babel, Kelly

Arsenal: Almunia, Clichy, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Diaby (van Persie), Nasri, Eboue (Walcott), Sagna, Wilshere (Rosicky), Arshavin, Chamakh Unused Substitutes: Fabianski, Vela, Song, Gibbs

Match Stats

Possession

Liverpool 42% Arsenal 58%

Shots on target

Liverpool 4 Arsenal 6

Shots off target

Liverpool 2 Arsenal 6

Corners

Liverpool 8 Arsenal 10

Source: http://www.shanklygates.co.uk/index....news&Itemid=18

Sponsors:
Add to tcd's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
weightp is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal

what lucky for liverpool, i think they can perform well this year with the young stricker.

weightp is offline   Add to weightp's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท
Peuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud of

Liked 112 Times in 86 Posts

As an Arsenal supporter, I was surprised at the red card shown to Cole. It looks more like a yellow card offence.

I thought that Chamakh had connected with the ball with a header and the ball rebounced off the upright into Reina who only managed to palmed in it with his hands.

Old 16th August 2010, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weightp View Post
what lucky for liverpool, i think they can perform well this year with the young stricker.
I thought we were unlucky for that freak own-goal. Arsenal may have alot of possession during the 1st half but they lacked the bit of spark in the final 3rd and i thought our defence hold up well and look more threatening going forward. We agreed that Martin atkinson was abit harsh on cole but that was a very bad challenge and imo it could go either way. As for gerrard, he was lucky not getting booked for that foul on eboue, quite a vicous late tackle from behind. However, we deserved the 3 pts, show great spirit even thou playing with 10, a great goal from Ngog and arsenal was lucky to get a pt at anfield.

1st half highlight: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xeg...ort#from=embed

Gerrard Tackle on Eboue : 4.18mins/21.37mins http://www.footytube.com/video/liver...al-aug15-53702

Last edited by tcd; 16th August 2010 at 11:32 AM.
tcd is offline   Add to tcd's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท
Peuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud of

Liked 112 Times in 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tcd View Post
I thought we were unlucky for that freak own-goal. Arsenal may have alot of possession during the 1st half but they lacked the bit of spark in the final 3rd and i thought our defence hold up well and look more threatening going forward. We agreed that Martin atkinson was abit harsh on cole but that was a very bad challenge and imo it could go either way. As for gerrard, he was lucky not getting booked for that foul on eboue, quite a vicous late tackle from behind. However, we deserved the 3 pts, show great spirit even thou playing with 10, a great goal from Ngog and arsenal was lucky to get a pt at anfield.

1st half highlight: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xeg...ort#from=embed

Gerrard Tackle on Eboue : 4.18mins/21.37mins http://www.footytube.com/video/liver...al-aug15-53702
Well, from an Arsenal fan's POV.

Liverpool did played better than Arsenal. There was not cutting edge from Arsenal despite having more posession of the ball. Arsenal created very little in the final 3rd.

Liverpool's goal was due to a defensive lapse in concentration when Clichy was caught in a no man's land. Lets not take anything away from Ngog's goal, he turn and strucked the ball hard and gave Arsenal's keeper no chance. It was a great goal.

I do not think that Joe Cole deserved a Red Card, its more of a late tackle due to poor timing rather than an attempt to hurt the player. It should be a Yellow Card. As for Gerrad, it should also be a Yellow Card for his late tackle on Eboue.

When AW subsituted JW, Eboue and Abouby with Walcott, Rosicky and Van Persie, I had a feeling that Arsenal will equalised but I never expect it will be an own goal by Reina.

Walcott and Rosicky had chances to equalised before the Reina own goal and it was Reina who saved Pool on both occassions.

After equalising, both teams had chances to win the game in late injury time. Gerrard fired a freekick and Alunmia managed to palmed it away to safety. At the other end, Chamakh could had scored with a header but directed it across the goalmouth instead onto the goal.

I would say a 1-1 result is a fair result.

If Pool continues to play in such a manner, I am sure that they will challenge for this season's title. I am sick and tired of Man Utd or Chelsea winning the BPL.

Old 16th August 2010, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peuan Sanit View Post
Well, from an Arsenal fan's POV.

Liverpool did played better than Arsenal. There was not cutting edge from Arsenal despite having more posession of the ball. Arsenal created very little in the final 3rd.

Liverpool's goal was due to a defensive lapse in concentration when Clichy was caught in a no man's land. Lets not take anything away from Ngog's goal, he turn and strucked the ball hard and gave Arsenal's keeper no chance. It was a great goal.

I do not think that Joe Cole deserved a Red Card, its more of a late tackle due to poor timing rather than an attempt to hurt the player. It should be a Yellow Card. As for Gerrad, it should also be a Yellow Card for his late tackle on Eboue.

When AW subsituted JW, Eboue and Abouby with Walcott, Rosicky and Van Persie, I had a feeling that Arsenal will equalised but I never expect it will be an own goal by Reina.

Walcott and Rosicky had chances to equalised before the Reina own goal and it was Reina who saved Pool on both occassions.

After equalising, both teams had chances to win the game in late injury time. Gerrard fired a freekick and Alunmia managed to palmed it away to safety. At the other end, Chamakh could had scored with a header but directed it across the goalmouth instead onto the goal.

I would say a 1-1 result is a fair result.

If Pool continues to play in such a manner, I am sure that they will challenge for this season's title. I am sick and tired of Man Utd or Chelsea winning the BPL.
We have a penalty rule out on kuyt(u can see the gif) in this thread http://forums.sgclub.com/singapore/l...25951_219.html, and on another occasion where torres was clearly pull down by the defender while almost "through" on goal.

Nevertheless, arsenal did well today, expected flowing football(your trait anyway), just lack abit of "finishing touch" yesterday. I dont think we will be challenging for the title just yet, it's still too early to speculate and also hope that ur team do well against Man utd & Chelsea

tcd is offline   Add to tcd's Reputation Reply With Quote