Maintenance of Parents Act - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Love & Relationships > Family Matters » Maintenance of Parents Act

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2010, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท
Peuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud of

Liked 112 Times in 86 Posts
Maintenance of Parents Act

I really think that supporting one's aged parents should be out of filial piety and not bcos of some Law.

What is the point for a parent to sue his/her child for maintenance. It will drive a wedge between both parties.

Have the Govt find out the real reasons why some are not supporting their aged parents?

Could it be that the child cannot support his/her parents bcos their salaries are not sufficient as the cost of living is too high or that they lust after luxuries items or that they have their own family to raise and support?

So does the person has to go to jail if he/she really can't afford to support his/her parents?

Sponsors:
Old 4th October 2010, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to behold

Liked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Re: Maintenance of Parents Act

Originally Posted by Peuan Sanit View Post
I really think that supporting one's aged parents should be out of filial piety and not bcos of some Law.

What is the point for a parent to sue his/her child for maintenance. It will drive a wedge between both parties.

Have the Govt find out the real reasons why some are not supporting their aged parents?

Could it be that the child cannot support his/her parents bcos their salaries are not sufficient as the cost of living is too high or that they lust after luxuries items or that they have their own family to raise and support?

So does the person has to go to jail if he/she really can't afford to support his/her parents?
I think people with financial difficulties will be treated on a case by case basis.

As for those who do not have any level of piety and can afford to maintain their parents, the law is there to ensure that they will still maintain their parents.

Lancelot is offline   Add to Lancelot's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Leaving4Good is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Garment don't care, garment just wanna make sure they don't pay for your parents.

Leaving4Good is offline   Add to Leaving4Good's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท
Peuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
I think people with financial difficulties will be treated on a case by case basis.

As for those who do not have any level of piety and can afford to maintain their parents, the law is there to ensure that they will still maintain their parents.
Well, I do agree with what you had said.

Originally Posted by Leaving4Good View Post
Garment don't care, garment just wanna make sure they don't pay for your parents.
Well, they played a part in shaping what SG is today.

Old 4th October 2010, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
sky99 is a glorious beacon of lightsky99 is a glorious beacon of lightsky99 is a glorious beacon of light

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I look down on those who took all their parents money and didn't bother taking care of them..

[Official]SGC Left 4 Dead 2 Thread -> http://forums.sgclub.com/singapore/o..._a_303841.html
sky99 is offline   Add to sky99's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Songwriter
theliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to behold

Liked 179 Times in 124 Posts

If he is unable to support his parents, I believe that even the parents would not resort to using the law in order to make them pay up in the first place.

If they do so, knowing that their child cannot support them, it only shows how great their love of the child is as compared to the love of money

Old 4th October 2010, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Leaving4Good is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please lah, you got watch CHONG XIN KAI SHI not? The one hosted by Quan Yi Feng..

There was one episode with a dirty old man who wants to ask his family to take care of him but he's sick. He used to gamble so much when the kids were young and even owe loan shark 300k and everyday the loan sharks go disturb the young kids and their mother to pay and he hide all the way to batam and had a son with a woman there.

Now he's old and sorry and wants his family back, wants them to take care of him when he had never really give them anything except for that pathetic sperm he expelled out of his body. Still got the cheek to go on National TV and reveal his dirty laundry..

Please lah, garment don't care, garment only knows how to build a sport hub that cannot even benefit half the people in this country.

Leaving4Good is offline   Add to Leaving4Good's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท

Originally Posted by theliverevoluti View Post
If he is unable to support his parents, I believe that even the parents would not resort to using the law in order to make them pay up in the first place.

If they do so, knowing that their child cannot support them, it only shows how great their love of the child is as compared to the love of money
It depends on case to case. just like the case Leaving4Good brought up.

Please lah, you got watch CHONG XIN KAI SHI not? The one hosted by Quan Yi Feng..

There was one episode with a dirty old man who wants to ask his family to take care of him but he's sick. He used to gamble so much when the kids were young and even owe loan shark 300k and everyday the loan sharks go disturb the young kids and their mother to pay and he hide all the way to batam and had a son with a woman there.

Now he's old and sorry and wants his family back, wants them to take care of him when he had never really give them anything except for that pathetic sperm he expelled out of his body. Still got the cheek to go on National TV and reveal his dirty laundry..

Please lah, garment don't care, garment only knows how to build a sport hub that cannot even benefit half the people in this country.
Well its sad to learn of such stories.

Old 5th October 2010, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts

This is just one of the many cases around. Many males go run with mistress, and when they are old, they want to find back their family. But then, will their family want to bring him back ? Unlikely. Even if bring him back, no one will bother about him.

Last time my neighbour, the father decades ago run with mistress, when the kids are still very young. Decades later, when the kids are already 30+ 40+, he came back. The family and the wife did let him come back to stay, but didn't bother about him anymore. His children also don't care about him. Another case I know is the father when old already secretly came back to see the wife and daughter. The youngest daughter don't recognize him as she was too young when the father ran away, but the eldest daughter recognized him, and she simply lied to him saying he found the wrong house.

Last edited by christmas_; 5th October 2010 at 08:24 AM.
christmas_ is offline   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท

Originally Posted by christmas_ View Post
This is just one of the many cases around. Many males go run with mistress, and when they are old, they want to find back their family. But then, will their family want to bring him back ? Unlikely. Even if bring him back, no one will bother about him.

Last time my neighbour, the father decades ago run with mistress, when the kids are still very young. Decades later, when the kids are already 30+ 40+, he came back. The family and the wife did let him come back to stay, but didn't bother about him anymore. His children also don't care about him. Another case I know is the father when old already secretly came back to see the wife and daughter. The youngest daughter don't recognize him as she was too young when the father ran away, but the eldest daughter recognized him, and she simply lied to him saying he found the wrong house.
There are such cases.

I wonder if such parents can enforce the Maintenance of Parents Act on their children in such scenarios painted by Christmas

Old 5th October 2010, 08:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

There are such cases.

I wonder if such parents can enforce the Maintenance of Parents Act on their children in such scenarios painted by Christmas
I think the biggest issue will be how to prevent this Act to be misused

I believe the authorities will investigate every case when parents enforce this Act on their children, see whether their children has been really neglecting the parents or not.

Last edited by christmas_; 5th October 2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
iNFINITY HiGH will become famous soon enough

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I think it might be more effective to instill filial piety in children in schools... From teenage onwards, can already see a lot who don't care about their parents. And I believe most parents won't resort to this, is like throw face and telling the world that his/her children are not filial..

o(≧∇≦o) +Rep if this post helped you out/it is simply awesome \(●~▽~●)У
iNFINITY HiGH is offline   Add to iNFINITY HiGH's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 10:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท

I think the biggest issue will be how to prevent this Act to be misused

I believe the authorities will investigate every case when parents enforce this Act on their children, see whether their children has been really neglecting the parents or not.
Well although the parent did not take care of them and neglected them when they are young, it still a deniable fact that they are their parents, the ones that had brought them to this World.

They might not be the best parents in the World but they are still the parents.

Originally Posted by iNFINITY HiGH View Post
I think it might be more effective to instill filial piety in children in schools... From teenage onwards, can already see a lot who don't care about their parents. And I believe most parents won't resort to this, is like throw face and telling the world that his/her children are not filial..
Agreed with you. Filial Piety should be taught in civic lesson in class but unfortunately its hard to change mindset of people know whose friends has a better influence on them than their parents or lessons in class

Old 5th October 2010, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Account Suspended
007 will become famous soon enough

Well although the parent did not take care of them and neglected them when they are young, it still a deniable fact that they are their parents, the ones that had brought them to this World.

Agreed with you. Filial Piety should be taught in civic lesson in class but unfortunately its hard to change mindset of people know whose friends has a better influence on them than their parents or lessons in class
Well, it comes down to what you define as a parent. If "parent" merely means a donor of a gamete then it'd be pretty sad, ain't it? Yes, while I agree that they were the ones who contributed to the formation of a child's physical body, but if they weren't there to nurture the child and shape his soul then it'd be really unfair to attached the tag "parents" to them.

After all, they merely gave one of the millions of gametes which, for girls, would be discarded once monthly and for guys, would eventually be degenerated and absorbed into the bloodstream. And to think the child has to be filial to a 'parent' like that? A parent who discarded his or her gametes via procreation, without any intention of bearing the responsibilities that comes with it? What's the difference between this and the former case of natural disintegration other than the fact that the latter produces a child? Meh.

Last edited by 007; 5th October 2010 at 02:28 PM.
007 is offline   Add to 007's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 06:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Controversial issue...

But then I believe it goes down to the children's mindsets, whether they want to forgive the parents or not.

Just like the 2 examples I listed earlier on, 1 case is the eldest daughter (forget to mention the mother) never forgive the father. The other case, I am not quite sure whether they forgive or not, but it would seem to be on one hand, they not 计较 on this matter, but yet on another hand, thinking how the father/husband left them and putting him in hardships, they are unable to forget about it.

I believe, at the end of the day, children's mindsets are the most important factor here. It is for them to decide whether they want to put back the history of the neglecting by parents or some other issues, which results in giving them a bad childhood, and accept the parents back now

Last edited by christmas_; 5th October 2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 5th October 2010, 06:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
peanut111 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the father is a gambler who takes his children's money to gamble, is it the children's fault not to provide for his father? It is not that the child is not filial.

peanut111 is offline   Add to peanut111's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Originally Posted by peanut111 View Post
If the father is a gambler who takes his children's money to gamble, is it the children's fault not to provide for his father? It is not that the child is not filial.
This will be the controversial part that the authorities must settle.

I am just afraid that some loopholes will make the parents able to enforce this Act on their children, even when the fact about such parents is that they neglected their kids when they were young or, as you said, gamble away all their money (and resulted in kena kicked out by their children) and so on

Old 5th October 2010, 11:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Account Suspended
007 will become famous soon enough

This will be the controversial part that the authorities must settle.

I am just afraid that some loopholes will make the parents able to enforce this Act on their children, even when the fact about such parents is that they neglected their kids when they were young or, as you said, gamble away all their money (and resulted in kena kicked out by their children) and so on
I wouldn't say it's a valid loophole for the judge to rule in the irresponsible party's favor. In fact, I wouldn't even call it a loophole. If a parent didn't fulfill his or her parental responsibilities, the child should never be obliged to 'return' the favor.

007 is offline   Add to 007's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 04:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fgfmse is on a distinguished road

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

1) parents that children have financial difficulty - try to seek understanding with parents & discuss the issue with the relevant govt dept who in-charge ( perhaps get some subsidies or other helps )

2) parents that children hate - try to learn to accept them little by little as the days go, help them as one would pity an homeless person or a person who slowly sinerely willing to correct oneself & later if times allow the bond would develop

for (2), in life we all make all sort of mistakes, some people can never understand, some come to term with it & some finally realise ; no matter at what stage of life the mistake make, if they would have know it would be a regret at later life such would never have happen.

life is actually a place to learn to correct oneself to commit the most minmium mistake & do good, by not accepting one's parents & treat them humanly though the children might escape their responsibilties in earth ; however their afterlife would suffer & punish for doing so, the rules there are very strict & parents are parents & the during some of their rebirths the parents & their children would likely to meet again & are somehow related to each other.

here, people might not agree with it but somehow in physics the same law of physics apply to any races or any countries, it could not be much different. Another eg, our body digestive system resemble after-life, our input of food resemble this life & our output of food resemble our next life & the cycle would continue ; so, whatever we eat ie, our input would affect our digestive health as whatever we do this life would accumulate & would affect our situation in our after-life ; also, whatever digested from our input whether good or bad would be outputed as in our next next life situation for good or for worse

that's why it pays to treat one's parents humanly, it is my humble opinion

Old 7th October 2010, 04:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
kelecthor is a jewel in the roughkelecthor is a jewel in the rough

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

If the person really cant support his/her parents but still treat them with love and respect, then I doubt any parents will want to sue their own children for money. When parents decided to sue, its definitely a case of children that arent piety already.

kelecthor is offline   Add to kelecthor's Reputation Reply With Quote