Mandarin language schools in SG - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life > Language Help » Mandarin language schools in SG

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2011, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
grt
Addicted SGClubber
grt is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 719
Join Date: Apr 2010
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Mandarin language schools in SG

I'm currently considering attending an intensive/full-time language course in Mandarin (advanced beginner, low intermediate) in Singapore for 2-4 weeks in June/July.

I'm not finding many genuinely looking websites about Chinese language schools in Singapore via search engines right now and the ones I do find, often focus mainly on executive education and specialised Mandarin for finance, accounting, management and so on.

Do you have any suggestions for finding decent language schools where I could have a closer look at? The price does not matter too much as long as they are not corporate rates with four-digit prices per week.

Thank you

Sponsors:
grt is offline  
Add to grt's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
blackmasquerade is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 825
Join Date: Mar 2009
Likes: 6
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

you can try out community centres... there's community centres all over singapore, they should offer basic/advance chinese language programme.

blackmasquerade is offline   Add to blackmasquerade's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moderator
Lancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to behold

 
Lancelot's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,446
Join Date: Jan 2005
Likes: 48
Liked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

Go for community centers. They are relatively cheaper and more accessible and will provide you with some context and foundation before you join more advanced courses.

Lancelot is offline   Add to Lancelot's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
grt
Addicted SGClubber
grt is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 719
Join Date: Apr 2010
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

Thanks, I will have a look at them.

grt is offline   Add to grt's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
-Rokugatsu- is on a distinguished road

 
-Rokugatsu-'s Avatar
 
Posts: 1,563
Join Date: Feb 2008
Likes: 5
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

agree that the community centers will be cheaper.
you may also want to take a look at this http://www.cambridge.com.sg/
not too sure about the fees though..

__________________
-Rokugatsu- is offline   Add to -Rokugatsu-'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 06:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
grt
Addicted SGClubber
grt is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 719
Join Date: Apr 2010
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

Thanks again.
I've found the 'New Concept Mandarin' school and an inlingua centre as well... I will only have to pay 1/3 of the costs so they are not too important to me, but the quality is what I care about (my last teachers were mostly teaching British diplomats and multinational company's executive personnel in London so I have high expectations now).

grt is offline   Add to grt's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
whitecorp is a glorious beacon of lightwhitecorp is a glorious beacon of lightwhitecorp is a glorious beacon of light

 
whitecorp's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,404
Join Date: Jul 2009
Likes: 0
Liked 211 Times in 174 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

What exactly is your current level of proficiency in the chinese language? As in how well can you read and write?

whitecorp is offline   Add to whitecorp's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
grt
Addicted SGClubber
grt is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 719
Join Date: Apr 2010
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

Originally Posted by whitecorp View Post
What exactly is your current level of proficiency in the chinese language? As in how well can you read and write?
It's very limited. I know around 50-100 (simplified, of course) characters, pinyin for maybe 150-200 words and basic (and some intermediate) sentence patterns. Hence, I am often able to get the basic idea of a sentence (i.e. whether it's describing something, a question or response etc.) and if I can use a dictionary I will probably make only few mistakes when writing about my hobbies or me schedule in simple manner. But I do lack vocabulary...

As for speaking, well... I have a general idea and am apparently not too bad at the pronunciation in general - for a Westerner. Listening... it's a bit like reading: I understand some 'key words' but I'm no used to it - which is fine as I want to focus on reading for now.

With regard to the language course: an emphasis on speaking/listening would be helpful so that I could develop it further when talking to chinese-speaking friends.

Edit: As for the "advanced beginner, low intermediate" from my original posting: I do plan on learning more words in the next 1-2 months before attending a language course. A complete beginner course would be too basic, but whether I can attend others will depend on their variety of proficiency levels...


Last edited by grt; 17th March 2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: No post bumping
grt is offline   Add to grt's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 12:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
whitecorp is a glorious beacon of lightwhitecorp is a glorious beacon of lightwhitecorp is a glorious beacon of light

 
whitecorp's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,404
Join Date: Jul 2009
Likes: 0
Liked 211 Times in 174 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

Originally Posted by grt View Post
It's very limited. I know around 50-100 (simplified, of course) characters, pinyin for maybe 150-200 words and basic (and some intermediate) sentence patterns. Hence, I am often able to get the basic idea of a sentence (i.e. whether it's describing something, a question or response etc.) and if I can use a dictionary I will probably make only few mistakes when writing about my hobbies or me schedule in simple manner. But I do lack vocabulary...

As for speaking, well... I have a general idea and am apparently not too bad at the pronunciation in general - for a Westerner. Listening... it's a bit like reading: I understand some 'key words' but I'm no used to it - which is fine as I want to focus on reading for now.

With regard to the language course: an emphasis on speaking/listening would be helpful so that I could develop it further when talking to chinese-speaking friends.

Edit: As for the "advanced beginner, low intermediate" from my original posting: I do plan on learning more words in the next 1-2 months before attending a language course. A complete beginner course would be too basic, but whether I can attend others will depend on their variety of proficiency levels...
Indeed sufficient exposure to the language is key to mastering it. Kudos to you for wanting to pick up mandarin; my own student (who is authentic chinese)
is so reluctant to improve his mandarin (even though his O levels are approaching in a few months time) I am now force feeding him occasionally with mother tongue lessons (this despite I am supposed to only teach him maths lol). All the best for your learning.

whitecorp is offline   Add to whitecorp's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 03:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
grt
Addicted SGClubber
grt is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 719
Join Date: Apr 2010
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

Originally Posted by whitecorp View Post
Indeed sufficient exposure to the language is key to mastering it. Kudos to you for wanting to pick up mandarin; my own student (who is authentic chinese)
is so reluctant to improve his mandarin (even though his O levels are approaching in a few months time) I am now force feeding him occasionally with mother tongue lessons (this despite I am supposed to only teach him maths lol). All the best for your learning.
Thanks. I've got quite interested in China a few years ago and will probably end up doing a PhD about Chinese foreign politics in the next years so I guess it's becoming more and more a necessity for me to learn Mandarin. Besides, considering the expected developments in the 21st century, it's surely not a bad move...

grt is offline   Add to grt's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 02:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
General_Zhaoyun is just really niceGeneral_Zhaoyun is just really niceGeneral_Zhaoyun is just really nice

 
General_Zhaoyun's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,746
Join Date: Jul 2008
Likes: 22
Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

Originally Posted by grt View Post
Thanks. I've got quite interested in China a few years ago and will probably end up doing a PhD about Chinese foreign politics in the next years so I guess it's becoming more and more a necessity for me to learn Mandarin. Besides, considering the expected developments in the 21st century, it's surely not a bad move...
Community center is the cheapest of all. I would highly recommend it.

Be sure to join my forum China History Forum as well.

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com

It's the best English forum for Sinology. If you want, we can also meet up since I'm based in Singapore. However, my forum does not focus on Chinese politics. But there is a great deal of discussion on Chinese history, language and culture.

As for language section, you can probably try to join Singapore Chinese language/culture meetup at

http://www.meetup.com/Singapore-Chinese-Meetup-Group/

I've went for a number of meet ups. People are friendly. There are a lot of beginners (including many Non-Chinese) and they do practise Chinese with one another.

__________________
子曰: 見賢思齊焉, 見不賢而内自省也!
China History Forum - Learn Chinese History, Language and Culture.

Last edited by General_Zhaoyun; 18th March 2011 at 02:31 PM.
General_Zhaoyun is offline   Add to General_Zhaoyun's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
grt
Addicted SGClubber
grt is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 719
Join Date: Apr 2010
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

Originally Posted by General_Zhaoyun View Post
Community center is the cheapest of all. I would highly recommend it.

Be sure to join my forum China History Forum as well.

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com

It's the best English forum for Sinology. If you want, we can also meet up since I'm based in Singapore. However, my forum does not focus on Chinese politics. But there is a great deal of discussion on Chinese history, language and culture.

As for language section, you can probably try to join Singapore Chinese language/culture meetup at

http://www.meetup.com/Singapore-Chinese-Meetup-Group/

I've went for a number of meet ups. People are friendly. There are a lot of beginners (including many Non-Chinese) and they do practise Chinese with one another.
Thank you! The forum looks interesting and I think I will give it a read at some point

With regard to the meeting ups - I will only be in Singapore from June/July but might have a look at this group then - and maybe even at you

__________________
Want to backup and synchronise your data between different devices (computer, iPhone, Android phone, Blackberry, laptop, ...)? Get Dropbox (referral link with 2.25GB for free). Alternatively, click here (no referral, only 2GB for free).

And were an epitaph to be my story I'd have a short one ready for my own. I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world.
-Robert Frost
grt is offline   Add to grt's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 11:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Galloway is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

if you're looking for chinese language classes for adults, try:

NUS extension
http://www.nus.edu.sg/nex/PE/Cert_Courses/index-md.htm
http://www.nus.edu.sg/nex/PE/Languages/index.htm#md

NTU confucius institute
http://ci-ntu.com/english/programmes...s-Chinese.html


Last edited by Galloway; 30th April 2011 at 11:19 PM.
Galloway is offline   Add to Galloway's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 04:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Michael_mah is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Jun 2011
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

y don't find a home tuition nowadays quite cheap la 81323820 she is my last time o level cl lao shi

Michael_mah is offline   Add to Michael_mah's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 11:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
fia
New SGClubber
fia is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 16
Join Date: Apr 2011
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Mandarin language schools in SG

Probably one of the most fascinating languages in the world - definitely the hardest. With 1 billion speakers, Mandarin Chinese is the most spoken language in the world. For many people, this is also the language of the future, with China becoming more powerful every year and a huge economy that buys and sells all over the world. There are several languages spoken in China, but Mandarin is by far the dominant language in China and is also spoken in Taiwan and by part of the Chinese community of Singapore.
Mandarin is spoken in Mainland China, Taiwan and Singapore. The other leading Chinese language, Cantonese, is spoken in Hong-Kong, South-East China and Singapore.
With its reputation for intractable difficulty, speaking and writing Chinese fluently is seen as the gold standard of intellectual achievement. If you are fluent in Chinese and have no Chinese background, nobody should ever have a doubt about your intelligence.

Of course there are many other difficult languages out there, and all Chinese speakers are not rocket scientists, but chic is about image, is it not?

__________________
Online Chinese Learning with Native Chinese Teacher
http://www.learnchinese1on1.com
fia is offline   Add to fia's Reputation Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speak Mandarin Campaign returns to promote language through culture *StarDust* International & Singapore News 7 7th July 2010 07:42 AM
MM Lee: Mandarin is important but remains a second language in S'pore Voodoo Vince International & Singapore News 6 28th June 2010 09:12 PM
WTS: Learn a new language in Singapore! Offering French, Japanese, Mandarin, Arabic & more! agapease Jobs & Services 0 4th April 2010 06:54 PM
Looking for language exchange partner(English&Mandarin) tiger746cn SGClub Cafe 1 5th January 2008 05:02 PM
HK schools told: Use more Mandarin and English Voodoo Vince School Life 8 20th November 2007 02:32 PM

» Sponsors
Watch Free Movies Online
Celebrity Gossip
Food Delivery

» Facebook Fans
» What's Going On?
Title, Username, & Date
[PMD-pedestrian rules] Singapore Court judges are high handed and biased or court rep
Ritter Sport chocolate recalled due to undeclared allergen
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
I really hate my mother!!!
Mum's Kitchen Catering and Cherish Delights get licences suspended after nearly 40 people...
Transcend RDF9K2 All-in-One Card Reader
Transcend ESD250C, a portable SSD that’s super classy
Stupid court of appeal gives red light running driver who hit pedestrian 15% discount
How PAP exploited racial differences to impose FASCIST rule over Singapore.
Up to S$7250 of government $ misused for buying each vote in Singapore?
Funky Fields organic vegan spreadable recalled due to 'undisclosed allergen'
100 hawksbill turtles released into the sea after rare hatching on Sentosa
Inspirational Songs
Repost comment.
MOH, SFA investigating after 18 typhoid fever cases in 3 weeks
By militarily invading Hong Kong, Xi Jingping is setting in motion, the wheels of nuc
Deng XiaoPing original vision for HKG- China reunification was for the two to unite a
HSA warns against three products
Warning : Blacklist buyer/adopter Alert
512GB Transcend 830S M.2 SSD Review
Featured Photos
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by pdsubbu
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by Vikas Dhar
· · ·
Photography
35 photos
36 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28606 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28606 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4351 photos
28606 comments

 

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright© 2004-2013 SGClub.com. All rights reserved.