Meet Singapore’s most popular blogger - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Workplace and Business Forum » Meet Singapore’s most popular blogger

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2011, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
Meet Singapore’s most popular blogger

Meet Singapore’s most popular blogger
By meiyingt | SingaporeScene – 9 minutes ago

Xiaxue tells Yahoo! Singapore what being a full-time blogger is like. (Yahoo! photo/Alan Lim)

She's Singapore's most popular--and perhaps most infamous--blogger.

Eight years since her online debut in 2003, Wendy Cheng has shot to fame with her pointed, brusque and unabashed writing, and her willingness to discuss anything and everything, from politics to penis sizes.

Today, she runs 10 public and private blogs, with her main one, xiaxue.blogspot.com, receiving some 40,000 unique hits a day. The petite 27-year-old has also just released the 100th episode of an online TV show she helms, Xiaxue's Guide to Life.

She only started vlogging on YouTube about two months ago, but fans have wasted no time in following her there as well, with her video tutorials clocking more than 100,000 views each. She is also probably the first Singaporean to become a YouTube partner, getting revenue share from Google ads displayed on her videos.

In conjunction with the Yahoo! Singapore 9, our campaign to recognise the most influential and inspiring Singaporeans in celebration of National Day, Yahoo! Singapore catches up with Xiaxue to find out what she's been up to since she turned full-time in 2005:

Is blogging the only thing you do? How do you earn your keep, and how much do you earn?

Yup! I have been blogging full-time since 2005. I earn through ads and advertorials on my blog. I guess I am a professional blogger now--although hey, prostitutes are professionals, too, people who sell sex, right?

My income is not stable because I earn based on the ads--so it depends on how many there are. I would say it ranges a few thousand a month, on average... which is okay.

Particularly because I get a lot of free stuff! A lot of things are sponsored, and so a lot of my expenses are paid for.

What kinds of products do you review, and what were some of the weirdest things you have been asked to write advertorials for?

I guess beauty products get sponsored the most--beauty products, fashion and electronics. The weirdest thing? I don't know... probably halal toothpaste. Seriously! I'm like, why are you giving me a freaking halal toothpaste? I'm not even Muslim. How am I supposed to advertise for you? And I didn't even know there was such a thing.

Xiaxue spoke to us very openly and candidly about a wide range of topics. (Yahoo! photo/Alan Lim)

What were you most excited to review?

I got sponsored for my Invisalign--invisible braces. That one is very expensive, about $10,000, but my dentist is very good--quite cute, some more!--and he's very nice; he sponsored it for me. I was very excited about it, because I've always wanted to fix my teeth, and people have always said they're very ugly.

Another thing would obviously be my nose job. That one I was very happy about.

Any plans to fix anything else?

Not at the moment, no!

Ever considered a career switch?

Not at the moment, I guess... no. I like my job, it's great--I get a lot of freedom. I woke up just before this [Writer's note: this interview was held at 4pm on Friday]

What is a day in the life of Xiaxue like?

Waking up late, at maybe 3 or 4pm, and sleeping really late--when the sun rises! I start blogging very late at night, at about 3am. I don't like disturbances, otherwise I won't blog--also my husband will be bugging me, saying "Let's watch shows together!", and stuff like that. I'm really a homebody--I stay at home a lot, although sometimes I meet friends, go for events, shoot for Guide to Life. In the evening my husband comes home from work so we normally go have dinner, then he sleeps and then I start to use my computer.

I guess a lot of people think that I'm a slacker and that I just don't work at all, but actually I do. When I work on a blog entry, I really go crazy--I spend hours and hours editing all my pictures. If an entry has just words, it would take a few hours, but the more obsessive ones can take up to a day; 10 hours--gathering all the information and editing all the pictures.

So you always work at night? Doesn't it bother you that you keep different hours from everyone else--your husband, for instance?

Sometimes I work during the day when I feel inspired, but most of the time it's at night. My husband doesn't like it--he likes me to sleep together with him, but I cannot--so I just sleep for a bit and then sneak out of bed, mostly. He knows I do this, but what to do? It's just how I am; he's known it from the start.

What are people's biggest misconceptions of you?

1) People think I am very stupid. I mean, I don't think I'm extremely smart, like rocket scientist-smart or anything, but I'm definitely not dumb, lah, okay.

We heard you passed the MENSA test?

Yeah, I took it in 2003 when I got fed up of people saying I was stupid--so I passed it, but I didn't join them in the end 'cause I couldn't really be bothered to. When I was younger, I was very indignant--now, I'm too old to be bothered.

2) People always say that I hate my race and am trying to be white. I don't know, just because you like another race's hair colour doesn't mean that you hate your race, right? I love being Chinese--I love Chinese food, I actually only listen to Chinese music and I converse with a lot of my friends in mandarin also, so I don't like it when people say that (I'm trying to be white) because I'm very proud to be Singaporean, and that's who I am.

I feel and I think it's very buay paiseh (literally translated: 'No shame') of them to say that, especially when they're white themselves, like f**k, what makes you think everyone wants to copy you?

And then people always say I did my nose because I wanted to look white. But actually I did my nose because my nose was freaking ugly last time! It really was, lah. It was super big and flat... aiyah see, nobody remembers how I looked last time, so 'fugly'.

So you've been nominated for the Singapore 9 Media category! How do you feel?

Very honoured, I guess. When people from other countries read my blog and say they like me and stuff, a lot of times I feel maybe I do bring some kind of pride to Singaporeans! After all, I won in the nuffnang Pacific Awards under the Best Blog category; that's against Australians, Malaysians and Philippine bloggers... but I always feel like nobody in Singapore is ever proud of me or gives me any recognition--it's kind of unfair, like what the f**k? Other occupations like singers, you get so many people saying "I'm so proud of Sun Yan Zi, I'm so proud..." nobody ever says they're proud of me! It's so sad!

And then people always say "I'm so ashamed of her (Xiaxue), she's so blonde" and what not... but no matter what, I'm still beating everyone else in popularity and stuff what. Nobody cares. So yes, this is nice, for once. Although people are going to say they're going to vote for everyone else and not me... but whatever.

Now that you've got a massively-popular blog, an online TV show that's just hit 100 episodes and a recently-active YouTube channel, what else have you got on the cards?

Well, I've just been given a partnership from YouTube--and I believe I'm probably one of the first Singaporeans to get it, since it isn't supposed to be available to Singaporeans yet. I think it's nice of YouTube (to have this partnership scheme); since they could just put the ad there and not share the money. Michelle Phan, the top female YouTuber in the world, said that the top YouTubers earn a lot of money from Google ads--tens of thousands of US. dollars per month--this over and above the other endorsements they get!

Beyond this? I guess I'll take it one step at a time.

Where do you see yourself in the next 10 years?

The next decade? I guess maybe with one or two kids of my own, and I'll be blogging about them instead of me... I don't know.

What about when you're much older, say in your 60s?

I think I still will, in some form.

I will keep blogging for as long as I have something to say, I guess. I don't see a future when I'm not blogging unless it dies down... and even then, even if nobody reads, I'll still blog.

Source: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...025716125.html

Sponsors:
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts
Re: Meet Singapore’s most popular blogger

she is anything BUT stupid... brash and rough, but certainly very engaging as evidence by her huge traffic to the blog. she also knows what to write about and what engages ppl, which is quite admirable and rare. wonder if we can get her to blog abt SGC? haha....

Old 18th July 2011, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
freezer_w is a name known to allfreezer_w is a name known to allfreezer_w is a name known to allfreezer_w is a name known to allfreezer_w is a name known to all

Liked 85 Times in 67 Posts

is she going to do this like... for another 20yrs?

*Have fun on SGClub but pls READ the RULES, Report Bad Posts and Give Reputation to Good Ones!*
freezer_w is offline   Add to freezer_w's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
MrsStrife is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I adore her blogging capabilities. It's not easy to incline people to follow your blog.

I don't know what to write in this space and so, I might as well just give a brief background about myself. First of all, I'm a freelancer of accounting jobs. I usually find my stints via that website, but I also accept personal assignments. Do you have work for me? PM!
MrsStrife is offline   Add to MrsStrife's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts

No comments about this. I hardly visit her blog

christmas_ is online now   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts

Originally Posted by freezer_w View Post
is she going to do this like... for another 20yrs?
it all depends on how the revenue stream on the internet changes with time. as long as it remains profitable, why not? you know mike arrington of techcrunch? he started out as a blogger too, then he started making 6-figure sums per month. so blogging is a possible long-term career path, but as with all businesses, you never know.....

Old 18th July 2011, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Leading Light Fading Dark
Drake Memtor is a jewel in the roughDrake Memtor is a jewel in the rough

Liked 69 Times in 63 Posts

Blogging about lifestyle and what ever is boring. If you want something, you must go down all the way to search for the topic she talked about about unlike my site which is awesome!

LOL! She just talks but she never does research I think but it's her point of view and what she thinks but I prefer an unbias opinion

Old 18th July 2011, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
New SGClubber
infinitely_glam is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

she's got the guts, and she stands up for what she believes in.

infinitely_glam is offline   Add to infinitely_glam's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
New SGClubber
ramkarthick2012 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow...... really very nice article thanks to share this information.... dude keep sharing

ramkarthick2012 is offline   Add to ramkarthick2012's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
fantasy_evil96 is on a distinguished road

If spammers say she stupid, then these spammers who read her blog everyday to complain are more stupid right...
I like how she keeps to her stand

fantasy_evil96 is offline   Add to fantasy_evil96's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 06:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
luv_hurts is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

She is just a one dumb blonde. She is nothing but an ass licker every time she writes about politics in singapore.

Old 9th August 2011, 08:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Songwriter
theliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to behold

Liked 179 Times in 124 Posts

Originally Posted by luv_hurts View Post
She is just a one dumb blonde. She is nothing but an ass licker every time she writes about politics in singapore.
Well, your comments aren't any better; licking the boots of the other camp.

Old 14th September 2011, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
jerrickyeoh is on a distinguished road

She got her style "lady gaga"
that why she still lot of followers. Everything wonder why she so famous and this create more followers to her to check out why she so famous.
I believe new famous blogger peggy heng is going to overtake her.

Old 14th September 2011, 02:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
one more year to go...
oldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to all

Liked 348 Times in 298 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrickyeoh View Post
She got her style "lady gaga"
that why she still lot of followers. Everything wonder why she so famous and this create more followers to her to check out why she so famous.
I believe new famous blogger peggy heng is going to overtake her.
whos peggy heng?

Its not gonna happen

Old 14th September 2011, 02:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
millymoe will become famous soon enough

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Peggy heng is nothing but a bimbo with crap blog entries. HIGHLY UNLIKELY she will ever overtake XX or given be near XX.

millymoe is offline   Add to millymoe's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 12:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Account Suspended
Major_Venom is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

article wrong liaoz.......I am sg most popular blogger , dat is when i get a blog hahaz

Major_Venom is offline   Add to Major_Venom's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 12:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Legendary SGClubber
Fated is just really niceFated is just really niceFated is just really nice

Liked 118 Times in 92 Posts

Nah, her blog isn't really that good to read as many say it is.
But that's just my personal opinion.

A dancing Pikachu, your argument is invalid.
Fated is offline   Add to Fated's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 01:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pushémon
Aiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to behold

Liked 349 Times in 281 Posts

Originally Posted by christmas_ View Post
No comments about this. I hardly visit her blog
The only reason I visited her blog the last time was because I heard she was one of those people that "helped" to spread the rumour that Jolin Tsai got involved in the Edison Chen scandal.

Then I posted a long reply. But was unable to load.

EPIC FAIL.

Aiyilin is offline   Add to Aiyilin's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 02:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Believee will become famous soon enough

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I guess is because she's not afraid to voice out her opinion ? Like what some others had mentioned here, they prefer to read an unbias blog entry.

Believee is offline   Add to Believee's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 04:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
ahhuatt is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

audacity sets you apart. being 'normal' and nice will only deem you to mediocrity

ahhuatt is offline   Add to ahhuatt's Reputation Reply With Quote