MI? JC? - Page 2 - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life » MI? JC?

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2012, 02:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Brunswicks is on a distinguished road

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: MI? JC?

Originally Posted by PECTOPAH View Post
no its not
the difference between JC and Uni is larger
JC is a breeze if u consider Uni
Haha true! But for Ts i guess she have to consider the change from sec sch to jc first

Sponsors:
Old 12th June 2012, 05:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to behold

Liked 90 Times in 62 Posts

Secondary school life is vastly different from JC school life, as is the difference between JC school life and University life.

Lancelot is offline   Add to Lancelot's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 12:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Christyho is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It seems both JCs and MI have their advantages and disadvantages....
Since my dad forces me not to choose polys. I must choose either JCs or MI.
I want to ask MI's students Are the business teachers skillful enough?

Christyho is offline   Add to Christyho's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 12:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also, I want to know every JCs will kick out the students failed more than 2 subjects in finals in JC1? Does MI need students to pass 2 H2 subjects only to promote the next grade?

Old 13th June 2012, 08:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fathernature is a jewel in the roughfathernature is a jewel in the rough

Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Christyho View Post
It seems both JCs and MI have their advantages and disadvantages....
Since my dad forces me not to choose polys. I must choose either JCs or MI.
I want to ask MI's students Are the business teachers skillful enough?
The business teachers in MI are specialized kind. Cause they need a business degree before teaching business subject ma!
I shall say, every corhort, there will be top scorer from business stream. If u go to e website I gave u on one article, Jason, one business stream student, got himself all A for all H2, which he takes Accounts, Management and economics. And one thing, he is from the NT stream, taking O level after he grad with N level and while he was working.
Yup.

But at the end of the day, the school may produce X amount of scholars for what ever stream, but it still boils down to the question, are u willing to work hard for the three years to get what u want.

Also, I want to know every JCs will kick out the students failed more than 2 subjects in finals in JC1? Does MI need students to pass 2 H2 subjects only to promote the next grade?
PU1 promotional criteria is 2H2 and 1H1 contrasting. Passing is the 45% pass, same like secondary school, it's made up of different components Ike ur two promo scores, active participation and assignment and homework etc.
so I answered ur question, on the promotional criteria, but NO, meeting the criteria won't get u anywhere if u continue to just hit 2H2 passes till A level.
That's a lesson I learnt recently. X:

http://soundcloud.com/fathernature
www.youtube.com/xiiaoxuuesheng
fathernature is offline   Add to fathernature's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 08:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fathernature View Post
The business teachers in MI are specialized kind. Cause they need a business degree before teaching business subject ma!
I shall say, every corhort, there will be top scorer from business stream. If u go to e website I gave u on one article, Jason, one business stream student, got himself all A for all H2, which he takes Accounts, Management and economics. And one thing, he is from the NT stream, taking O level after he grad with N level and while he was working.
Yup.

But at the end of the day, the school may produce X amount of scholars for what ever stream, but it still boils down to the question, are u willing to work hard for the three years to get what u want.

PU1 promotional criteria is 2H2 and 1H1 contrasting. Passing is the 45% pass, same like secondary school, it's made up of different components Ike ur two promo scores, active participation and assignment and homework etc.
so I answered ur question, on the promotional criteria, but NO, meeting the criteria won't get u anywhere if u continue to just hit 2H2 passes till A level.
That's a lesson I learnt recently. X:

After I finish studying in JCs or MI, the % of going into uni. is the same?

Old 13th June 2012, 08:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
squall56302 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

After I finish studying in JCs or MI, the % of going into uni. is the same?
Sad to say this, but MI has always a low rate of local university entry. I'm not sure how much has that change but as of 2009, it has never went beyond 25%.

...but if you take other universities into account, like SIM and SUTD and even foreign universities, it is around 50% (Approximately...rounded up). Consider this as a good thing because for most business students, NTU and NUS is not the only route for them to further develop on.

Old 13th June 2012, 11:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by squall56302 View Post
Sad to say this, but MI has always a low rate of local university entry. I'm not sure how much has that change but as of 2009, it has never went beyond 25%.

...but if you take other universities into account, like SIM and SUTD and even foreign universities, it is around 50% (Approximately...rounded up). Consider this as a good thing because for most business students, NTU and NUS is not the only route for them to further develop on.
i heard feom my cousin that the % of going into local uni from JCs has 70%, is it true?

Old 14th June 2012, 07:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
Lancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to behold

Liked 90 Times in 62 Posts

Problem is, why try to benchmark the percentage of students from any school that enters University?

Shouldn't you consider the bigger picture (i.e the entire A level taking cohort of the year) and calculate a percentage from there?

Anyway, I graduated from MI without stepping a foot into the Big Three, I graduated from UniSIM and I do not feel any less valuable just because my grades are only good enough for a part-time university.

Lancelot is offline   Add to Lancelot's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by Lancelot:
Christyho (14th June 2012)
Old 14th June 2012, 09:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
Honesty is a virtue~
Tetrahedron is a jewel in the roughTetrahedron is a jewel in the rough

Liked 156 Times in 111 Posts

JC don't kick people unless you got retained 2 times in a row.

Most JC takes the 2H2 1H1 criterion to pass. Some requires a pass in GP to promote.

Some schools also practice conditional promotion, whereby even if you do not meet the criterion, provided that your teachers are willing to give a second chance, you are promoted. However by the term conditional promotion, the student will be reassessed for promotion in the nearest possible exams (or even worst, retaking the promos in the december holidays).

i heard feom my cousin that the % of going into local uni from JCs has 70%, is it true?
Approximately. however take this statistic with a pinch of salt. Some did not make it to suitable course for them, take note.

Last edited by Tetrahedron; 14th June 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Tetrahedron is offline   Add to Tetrahedron's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 03:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fathernature is a jewel in the roughfathernature is a jewel in the rough

Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts

Yea from that lance said. Why u want to branch mark JCs successful rate of getting students into university. At e end of the day even u get into v good JCs, it really depends on u if u mt to study hard and follow the flow and get into the desired course. And note. 70% of students QUALIFY for local universities =\= can get into local universities.

And tetrahedron said about conditional promotion, MI have that too, but it dependsif the teachers think u can go up to the next level or not. and being conditioned tells one that u can't even do ur this years work, u may struggle in the next years work. And the thing is, unless u r prepared to work doubly hard... Ur grades will still be a struggle.

http://soundcloud.com/fathernature
www.youtube.com/xiiaoxuuesheng
fathernature is offline   Add to fathernature's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 03:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
clocking is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I believe 70% is entering, 80~% is qualified.

Last edited by clocking; 14th June 2012 at 03:32 PM.
clocking is offline   Add to clocking's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 07:15 PM   #33 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Brunswicks is on a distinguished road

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

If you work hard enough you can go into uni regardless of MI or JC. Its really if you want to do it

Old 15th October 2016, 11:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
MapPwner is on a distinguished road

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EightyOne View Post
Ok guys. Sorry for delivering such an abstract statement just now, I was merely drunk. My sincere apologies. Allow me to further elaborate my PERSONAL outlook on MI and , at the same time, justify my stand that MI is an ABSOLUTE 'no' for me:

Ask yourself this, why are you not able to enter into JC? Because you were lazy and did not study hard enough for O levels? Because you were not driven enough? Because you had no interests in O level subjects? If you had worked really hard and still not able to qualify for JC, then perhaps you are just inapt in O levels subjects. So, why try to take up A levels when in all likelihood you will not perform well in A levels as your foundation is not strong and you will have problems grasping A level concepts.

It is generally true that MI students are weaker (against JC). Therefore standards might be lowered which may affect your readiness for the actual A levels exam. MI is pretty much the RP of poly.

Since most MI students are weaker, the environment is not as competitive as compared to a JC. Your peers may not push you to study hard. You may sit back and rest on your laurels as the environment is not as intensive. Having friends who are technically strong will be beneficial as they will be able to help you during study group meetings etc. Will you be able to get over the stigma and self-esteem issues that MI is technically considered the least desirable/inferior A-level school?

If I am not wrong, MI students take one less A level subject. If you are able to do well in all your 3 A level subjects, you may still lose out when it comes to application for very popular university courses and scholarships.

Do not think that with one extra year, you can produce a miracle and score godlike results. From statistics (my graduated friend was in MI told me), many are unable to enter into a desirable course in local uni

What happens if you fail to make it into local uni? Your only option would then be SIM/private unis. It would be less taxing to enter into SIM through poly and with a diploma your cert would be more valuable.

Perhaps it would be better to consider a poly education instead. Choose one that you are really interested in. With interest and passion, you will be able to do well. Dont just follow the crowd and take A-levels and at the end of the day you are unable to do well because you have no interest or you are just inapt.

Truth hurts. But this is the reality and FACTS.

Super agree with this comment.Even though it may seem harsh but that's the reality.

If you want to wonder why MI revision questions pop up in other schools revision packs,those questions are selected based on their relevance to a particular topic and their level of difficulty.So in reponse to Fathernature's comment,it is true from that screenshot that MI's questions can be on par to other JCs.

But is called revision pack for a reason.It is meant to contain questions which are of equivalent or higher standard as compared to that of A levels.Flipping through current PJC revision packs,I hardly seen MI questions appearing in my revision packs,be it Chemistry or other subjects.Even so,I would also check up the full exam paper of the particular year the question was taken from and try to do their exam paper,which of course was actually considered ridiculously easy as compared to other JC papers,in which the question which appear in PJ revision packs are notably the 1 and only hardest question that appeared in MI's paper.

In my opinion,the stereotype of MI,just like RP(it is actually ranked last among all polys still),it will never wane off unless the student population even try to save themselves.Only then will these lackadaisical animadversions cease to exist.

MapPwner is offline   Add to MapPwner's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 08:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
sellRAGEanarchy has a spectacular aura about

Liked 44 Times in 44 Posts

JC and MI has a Age cut off limit
if you reach above a certain age Or are born in a certain year
you cannot enter

poly has no cut off age limit

if you join MI or JC and wish to go to Poly instead
be warn Poly is independant meaning project based
work the teacher gives you a assignment
like go online and do research on this

teacher can't help very well
if they do your final grade is affected

Thank you (^_^)/
sellRAGEanarchy is offline   Add to sellRAGEanarchy's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 03:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Asterik is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go Poly bah. There got nicer food People who loved food would go Poly; people who want to be crushed by the complex in-depth academic knowledge who go JC; People who want take 3 years to study JC knowledge would go MI. Good luck in choosing!!!

Asterik is offline   Add to Asterik's Reputation Reply With Quote

» Sponsors
Watch Free Movies Online
Celebrity Gossip
Food Delivery

» Facebook Fans
» What's Going On?
Title, Username, & Date
Q/薇信956290760办理伦敦帝国学...
Q/薇信956290760办理伦敦艺术大...
Q/薇信956290760办理纽卡斯尔大...
Q/薇信956290760办理卡迪夫大学...