Millennia Institute: Consider it as your choice. - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life » Millennia Institute: Consider it as your choice.

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2009, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Account Suspended
dGen is infamous around these partsdGen is infamous around these parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Millennia Institute: Consider it as your choice.

Hi all! I encourage you guys who just get your O Levels results to consider applying for entry into Millennia Institute (MI). I'm currently a student there in my 3rd year and I wish to share with you why MI should also be your choice other than JC or Poly.

MI is a 3 Year A Levels institution, the one and only in Singapore. In MI, unlike in JC, the work is less stress, the environment is much more friendly and more adaptable than in JC. In MI, we have more tutorials than lectures and this enable you to learn more efficiently than most JC where schools won't give you much time with lecturers. Furthermore, with 3 years, it's easier to do A Levels, simply with, more time. By this, you will be able to have more time to pursue your other interests. MI also offers diplomas from overseas should you feel you want to get an A Levels cert and diploma upon graduation.

In MI, you pay 45 cents for your bus fares unlike in JC. Furthermore, MI has the newest campus of all of the government post secondary institution with state of the art sports and arts facilities for you. We also offer 2 exclusive A Levels subjects and an exclusive A Levels stream, namely, Principles of Accounting and Management of Business and with Business stream.

I am in my 3rd year of studies. I entered MI with a result that is close to JC minimum cut off. I never regretted my choice. Should I be in Poly, I think I'll be struggling to meet the 3.5 to enter Uni as points and cumulative. At least now, I'm doing well and I know I just need to score a feel Bs and As to enter Uni. My JC friends who scored 19 or 20 have trouble doing well even in school exams, I breezed through everything.

So after my introduction, a school which lets you take diploma, which gives you more freedom than in a JC, shouldn't you consider applying for MI? Especially some of you know you do not yet wants to set a career right at the age of 16+..

By the way, for you guys living in the West, good news. MI is located in Bukit Batok, just a stone throw away from the MRT. No expensive school fees and a higher chance to enter Uni than any school.

Last edited by dGen; 15th January 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Add to dGen's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
plutoainaplanet has a spectacular aura aboutplutoainaplanet has a spectacular aura aboutplutoainaplanet has a spectacular aura aboutplutoainaplanet has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Millennia Institute: Consider it as your choice.

Thanks 4 sharing ..
how bout sharing with us some of the shortcomings of MI in your opinion?
Can't all b fine n dandy ya

...n if I'm not wrong .. other JC students pay 45 cents too (at least I did .. when I was in JC!)

plutoainaplanet is offline   Add to plutoainaplanet's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
lyk99 is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

yea i agree with plutoainaplanet
with good points there are bound to be bad points too

can you share it too?

Thanks

Old 15th January 2009, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
wuyu is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just curious, is the % of people passing in MI really less than 50% ?( A level)

Last edited by wuyu; 15th January 2009 at 03:35 PM.
wuyu is offline   Add to wuyu's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Account Suspended

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok. Just to point out some. Some students still couldn't cope with MI even though it's already a relaxed A Levels course. Many will retain but most won't as you only required to pass 2 subjects. I can't think of anything but even if you are a student with normal intelligence, you should have no problem entering University. By the way, 40+ % of MI are Malays and 70% are girls. We got a variety of CCAs like Hockey, Basketball etc. You can choose whatever H2s and H1s (though not like YJC's kind) you are interested and even not take Maths as H1, unlike some JCs.

dGen added 4 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by wuyu View Post
Yes usually 30-40% only but it's because MI is a "merciful" school. Some JCs will kick you out if you can't do well but MI requires only 2 H2 passes. They can have 70% going to Uni but just how many? MI can have over 300 able to apply for University which is equals to the 70% some school has. How many can enter Uni in whole of Singapore, less than 50% also! Poly can only have less than 10%, do the maths yourself.

I have to agree that Poly gives you a diploma but MI can also give you a diploma and not a lot more expensive. I'll recommend you to take the Certified Accounting Technician (CAT) diploma in MI. It's is a ticket to the ACCA and has more credibility than a NTU Accounting Degree should you achieve that. MI also offers Hospitality and business diplomas but CAT is the most "recognized".

Last edited by dGen; 15th January 2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
dGen is offline   Add to dGen's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wondering what does people who fail A level plan to do

Old 15th January 2009, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Account Suspended

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go Poly, SIM or overseas? No! Retaking is the best option. If you think big and want to make a name for yourself, go and take A Levels but if all you want is just a security, I advise you to go Poly. But Uni grads earn more than Poly grads and have more prestige of course. If you want to be a teacher, it won't be long before it's compulsory for all to have a degree. Same goes for doctors and lawyers. But if all you want to be is a technician, a diploma is good enough.

Old 15th January 2009, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i think this route is only suitable for people who is willing to put in a lot of effort !
btw do many ppl retake their A level while in ns ?
n if u retake mean 4th year which is twice the amount of time a jc student take

Old 15th January 2009, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Account Suspended

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes. But most JCs won't let you retain and you have to fork out more money to retake. 3 years is really a more manageable duration in my opinion. I did not choose to go Poly as I feel that a diploma won't let me go very far and really nothing in Poly is of my interest. I have no aspirations to be a technician or some lab assistant so I decided to do the A Levels route. I learn a lot more deep stuffs and it truly makes me more intelligent than in secondary school. I truly enjoy what I am doing.

Old 15th January 2009, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to behold

Liked 82 Times in 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dGen View Post
Hi all! I encourage you guys who just get your O Levels results to consider applying for entry into Millennia Institute (MI). I'm currently a student there in my 3rd year and I wish to share with you why MI should also be your choice other than JC or Poly.

MI is a 3 Year A Levels institution, the one and only in Singapore. In MI, unlike in JC, the work is less stress, the environment is much more friendly and more adaptable than in JC. In MI, we have more tutorials than lectures and this enable you to learn more efficiently than most JC where schools won't give you much time with lecturers. Furthermore, with 3 years, it's easier to do A Levels, simply with, more time. By this, you will be able to have more time to pursue your other interests. MI also offers diplomas from overseas should you feel you want to get an A Levels cert and diploma upon graduation.

In MI, you pay 45 cents for your bus fares unlike in JC. Furthermore, MI has the newest campus of all of the government post secondary institution with state of the art sports and arts facilities for you. We also offer 2 exclusive A Levels subjects and an exclusive A Levels stream, namely, Principles of Accounting and Management of Business and with Business stream.

I am in my 3rd year of studies. I entered MI with a result that is close to JC minimum cut off. I never regretted my choice. Should I be in Poly, I think I'll be struggling to meet the 3.5 to enter Uni as points and cumulative. At least now, I'm doing well and I know I just need to score a feel Bs and As to enter Uni. My JC friends who scored 19 or 20 have trouble doing well even in school exams, I breezed through everything.

So after my introduction, a school which lets you take diploma, which gives you more freedom than in a JC, shouldn't you consider applying for MI? Especially some of you know you do not yet wants to set a career right at the age of 16+..

By the way, for you guys living in the West, good news. MI is located in Bukit Batok, just a stone throw away from the MRT. No expensive school fees and a higher chance to enter Uni than any school.
Good job junior, good job.

i think this route is only suitable for people who is willing to put in a lot of effort !
btw do many ppl retake their A level while in ns ?
n if u retake mean 4th year which is twice the amount of time a jc student take
I am a repeat student in MI, graduating in 2004. I can say this with personal conviction: 3 years seems long, but it goes very fast if you don't take your A levels seriously. I played the fool and failed to get a full certificate at my first try, I had to repeat my third year to wake up. I applied for disruption right after BMT, and rejoined the Year 3s late April, I fought hard to keep up, my teachers helped me out with every extra ounce of ability they can muster, they know I can do it, I know I can do better.

When I got my results, it was decent, but I could still do better. However, the MI spirit I've learnt never allowed me to back down. I realise too, that in the face of obstacles, I don't just give up, I've learned to take alternative paths.

I am now an Honors student at Uni SIM, working and studying at the same time. I will graduate in 4 years, with an Honors degree and 4 years of working experience, income and CPF.

MI is not useless nor is it a waste of time, like every other school, MI is a place that helps people who help themselves. If you wish to take on A levels and would like more breathing space, consider MI, 1 more year might seem to hurt you, trust me, in the long run, you'd be grateful for that.

Lancelot is offline   Add to Lancelot's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
grace_enying will become famous soon enoughgrace_enying will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yah JC students pay 45 cents too. erm if your l1r5 close to 20 (like 19 and 20) then consider MI lah. otherwise, JC...since it's shorter. Anyway if your l1r5 less than 20, it probably means that you will be able to cope with the stress wad. Why go MI? I know it's not as stressful..but isn't stress part of life?

grace_enying added 2 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

wondering what does people who fail A level plan to do
ya lor. retake lor. or go overseas.

Last edited by grace_enying; 15th January 2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
grace_enying is offline   Add to grace_enying's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
svpam_ms has a spectacular aura aboutsvpam_ms has a spectacular aura aboutsvpam_ms has a spectacular aura aboutsvpam_ms has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like there is a lot of good reviews for MI.

As I have mentioned in some other previous threads. It will not be a waste of time if you put in effort. It will only be a waste of time if you do not put in effort to study. I do admit that a good schooling environment will most definately help a student. However, that is not entirely true. The student has the larger role to play. Do not expect anyone to spoon- feed or babysit you. It's no longer in Primary school. I am sure Primary school these days encourage independent learning too.

How much you wish to achieve is entirely up to you. You can blame the whole world for not doing well. But ultimately, you need to reflect and evaluate if you have done and put in sufficient effort. Bystanders can give you all the advice they want, but at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself, what are your goals or aims in life. What do you aim to achieve after so many years in the education system. I believe no path is a dead path.

For those choosing to go JC's. Do not be mislead that it is all pretigious and stuff. Because I have seen people who have failed, retained and had to do A levels again. I can tell you that embarassment is unbearable. I have seen my own friends having to re-take or some even worse getting kicked out after Year 1. Schools will always project how good their school are and reflect all the good statistics. I can tell you, its all a smoke screen. They are just trying to boost their own image. I have a good friend from one of the top jc (not going to name which one), after 2 years of A level, he attained nothing out of it. No UNI entry, and he had to retake his A levels and enter those kind of private UNIs in Singapore. How pathetic is that? It is a true story.

Life is not a bed of roses, there is only so much advice people can give you. At the end of the day, its all hardwork. Nothing but hardwork. Complacency always leads to failure. And that is what happened to some of my JC batch.

Sorry for the long winded sharing session.

Old 15th January 2009, 09:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
A Levels H1 & H2 Chemistry Tuition @ BedokFunland JC
UltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of light

Liked 249 Times in 225 Posts

MI is a godsend to many of you, and here's why.

Many students regret being in the Poly course they chose, simply because they chose it not out of passion for the industry, but because they couldn't make the cut off point for JCs. Unless you're sure you know what you want for a career and it involves particular Poly courses, otherwise it is wiser to take the 'A' level route.

The MI cutoff point of 20 for L1R4 is much kinder than the JC cutoff point of 20 for L1R5. This is reason 1 why MI is a godsend, for students who aren't meant for Poly but can't make the JC cutoff point.

And for students who can't make the JC cut off point, there is a big problem with taking 'A' levels in private school, and here is the 2nd reason why MI is a godsend - Project Work (PW).

PW is required for local University admission (NUS, NTU, SMU), and it involves ongoing projects (not an exam paper that can be taken in 1 sitting), that is offered only in JCs and MI.

So if you want to go JC but can't make the cutoff point, you have MI. Be thankful for that.

Old 15th January 2009, 11:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
princess-selina will become famous soon enoughprincess-selina will become famous soon enoughprincess-selina will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmmm , the bus fare thing , only poly has different bus fare . if not , JC still pay 45cent for bus fare .

well , MI is good for those staying near west , if not travelling is really tedious . i went there for one day during the PAE period . one day , and i am sick of it . probably i am staying at the east side .

princess-selina is offline   Add to princess-selina's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 12:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
SohSweeKiat is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I attained A2 for chinese and B3 for my English, E maths,Combined Science(Phy and Chem.), Combined Humans (SS and History) and Poa. I have Raw score 14 and 17 for R4 and R5. Should i apply for JCs or MI? I live in Bukit panjang and I Have a Pjc near my house. Thanks! Advise needed. Going to submit my JAE at midnight.

SohSweeKiat is offline   Add to SohSweeKiat's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 12:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Bry_n is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

come on..u make it as though MI is a haven..other jcs pay 45cts too dude

i came from there too..and i can tell everybody that the rate of repeaters in MI is simply amazing..at least 35% per cohort..

Bry_n added 1 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

to answer ur question..less than 35% of MI students make their way to our local universities..and these are pre u 3 students..we havent included the executions of repeaters along the way in pre u 1 and pre u 2 students who were either forced to repeat or quit because of poor grades..

once again if u r willing to put the effort..then it is no doubt 1 good route..but sadly..most of them inside dont really do so..

Last edited by Bry_n; 16th January 2009 at 12:27 AM.
Bry_n is offline   Add to Bry_n's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 12:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
UltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SohSweeKiat View Post
So I attained A2 for chinese and B3 for my English, E maths,Combined Science(Phy and Chem.), Combined Humans (SS and History) and Poa. I have Raw score 14 and 17 for R4 and R5. Should i apply for JCs or MI? I live in Bukit panjang and I Have a Pjc near my house. Thanks! Advise needed. Going to submit my JAE at midnight.
Submitted liao? Anyway, with your scores, apply for JCs first, then MI (before any Poly courses). Since you know you want the 'A' level route.

Old 16th January 2009, 01:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
SohSweeKiat is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah. and i am deciding between PJC and IJC.

SohSweeKiat is offline   Add to SohSweeKiat's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 02:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
princess-selina will become famous soon enoughprincess-selina will become famous soon enoughprincess-selina will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

indeed that MI has many ppl who retain and the percentage of students pass A / going uni isn't really that high too .

princess-selina is offline   Add to princess-selina's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 02:25 AM   #20 (permalink)

Originally Posted by princess-selina View Post
indeed that MI has many ppl who retain and the percentage of students pass A / going uni isn't really that high too .
Look at it constructively, positively, helpfully.

It means that it's all that much easier (eg. compared to RJC/RI, HCJC/HCI, VJC, etc), to top your class/school and gain confidence for yourself.

As long as you've woken up your idea and realized your own performance is all up to yourself only, not up to your classmates, teachers or school.