Millennia Institute: Consider it as your choice. - Page 2 - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life » Millennia Institute: Consider it as your choice.

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2009, 02:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
princess-selina will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Millennia Institute: Consider it as your choice.

Originally Posted by UltimaOnline View Post
Look at it constructively, positively, helpfully.

It means that it's all that much easier (eg. compared to RJC/RI, HCJC/HCI, VJC, etc), to top your class/school and gain confidence for yourself.

As long as you've woken up your idea and realized your own performance is all up to yourself only, not up to your classmates, teachers or school.
agree , it's all about one's mindset .

Sponsors:
princess-selina is offline   Add to princess-selina's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 09:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
Account Suspended
dGen is infamous around these parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry, I typed wrongly the other day. It's 45cents like the other JCs.. Sorry about that.

Last edited by dGen; 17th January 2009 at 09:44 AM.
dGen is offline   Add to dGen's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 05:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
New SGClubber
deepika is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello.
i ve read your ''consider MI''.
i ve just got my results and made MI (commerce) my FIRST CHOICE AND MI(arts)my 2nd choice.

to be honest, i didnt apply willingly. i wanted to get into yjc or atleast i was sure i wanted A levels. coz no way poly is for me. coz i felt poly would limit my future oppurtunities. i am also not sure what i want to do in poly.

having gotten pretty bad results i was offered 5 courses from RP and MI.

life saver-MI.

now i have been getting bad feed back from my senior friends and my mum's colleagues about MI.

its quite stressful. and i was there for the MI open house and the principal said 40% make it UNI. but my friend says those statistics are fake.

i am more than just confident that i want to go UNI.

can you tell me how MI atmosphere is? am an INDIAN. but i prefer mingling with other races than indian. are there a lot of indians in MI? how is the teaching? how is the grading system?

my friend said " MI is neither here nor there. they're kinda in between jc and poly.myself go poly.also its not recognised"

after hearing this, its so pressurizing. i needed to hear something positive and found your post.

please help me. btw, i also want to know about "economics" is it easy? H2 level i mean..

looking forward to your reply..
thanks!!!!!!

Last edited by deepika; 22nd January 2009 at 05:03 PM.
deepika is offline   Add to deepika's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
Account Suspended

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glad you ask me, I've got many Indian friends and we get along quite well. About 10% in MI are Indians, I supposed. I'm a Chinese by the way. So I guess you wouldn't have problem making Indian friends at least. As in the environment, I guess it is suitable to study, we got plenty of study corners and the library is open throughout the day with wifi connections throughout the campus so you could do research for projects easily. Indian students perform quite well, a few top students last year are Indians. Nothing racial but if you are willing to put in your best, you will succeed.

Economics is challenging, according to my friends who took it but many of them who worked hard could score As and Bs. Humanities wise, MI got 100% passes for A Level History every year and over 90% passes for Management of Business and over 70% for accounting. Distinction rates are quite high for these subjects as well. Depends on what you like but as a business student myself, I feel that picking up a business combi is better as everyone starts on the same platform and no one will be very much stronger than you unlike in science and arts subjects. So it could help a little in helping you gain confidence.

To promote from year 1 to year 2 or year 2 to year 3, you need to pass 2 H2 subjects, which is to get an E, a 45 marks. The criteria to promote is actually quite similar to most JCs if not tougher than some JCs. May sound easy but it still needs hardwork as A Levels is a huge jump from O Levels. Teaching is great, most teachers are masters holders if not very experienced. It's just like in any other JCs with tutorials and lectures but MI does have more tutorial time than lecture in the timetable.

The statistics may not be that reflective, as 40% only includes local university (exclude SIM) entry. We got our best results last year where 4 in 10 manages to go to local uni. I guess many went to SIM or overseas but this is not mentioned during the principal talk. Some may chose to enter Poly to study A Levels exclusive courses but this is not mentioned as well. 4 in 10 is quite normal, similar to the rate of those in neighbourhood JCs (eg. YJ, IJ etc).

Since you have applied for MI, I think you will stand a high chance getting a place there since you put it in first choice. Wish you good luck for the posting results.

Last edited by dGen; 22nd January 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 24th January 2009, 01:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Darkness is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well... I'd rather go to a JC if I have the result. Save 1 yr. (Still nid to serve 2 yrs of NS leh) If first attempt really screw up then at least I can retake the A lvl. which is equivalent to MI i.e. 3 yrs.

OR in another case, u screwed ur 1st yr in JC. Then u still can opt to transfer to year 2 of MI. (heard from my JC fren)

Well... I rather Choose JC/Poly than MI... just my personal opinion

Darkness is offline   Add to Darkness's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 04:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HEY.it is so nice of you to assist me thru this.
am actually pretty nervous about the posting results.

i meeet the MI eligibility criteria precisely by 20points.
like,
el=3
hum=2
ma=7
mt=7
cca=1
adds upto 20 exactly.

am worried they wont accept me coz you know am not thte cream of the crop thingy..

i've made busness mgmt my 1st choice.
history and econs -am Fond of them.

QUESTION =)btw, you think its safe for me to choose POA IN H2 LEVEL,but i havnt learn poa in sec sch.

QUESTION =) also,you know the dual track prgrm, i am planning to take up dip in mass com/physcology. is it possible to cope with both A LEVELS AND DIP? but am pretty confident am going to work my ass out in MI. its like my only chance to prove my asset. (i've got RP but i dont wanna go there)(not at all)

have you taken this dip thingy??
=)

anyway-i owe you big time when i get into MI. =) REALLY,GIRL.

THANKS A TON

Last edited by deepika; 24th January 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 25th January 2009, 01:13 AM   #27 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Sierra. will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmm...i heard the culture in MI is pretty slack. not exactly very conducive for studying and the number of students that make it to local universities are quite low. my friend was in there for the first three months and he was telling me there're a lot of trouble-makers there.

but nonetheless, i guess its ideal for people who wanna pursue 'A's but at a much slower pace.

Sierra. is offline   Add to Sierra.'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 09:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Account Suspended

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They accept anyone till 20, no cut off points. The JAE booklet shows people with 9 points L1R4 and that shows that there are good students. Sure, there are troublemakers but every JC has it. Years back, some top JC guy beat up a bus driver, thank God MI does not have such kind of people. No matter where you go, you have to face people of all sorts. It's really a conducive place to succeed if you make the right friends and select people to friend with.

Last edited by dGen; 26th January 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Bry_n is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

u got a previous student right here..i can tell u its damm slack..40% is to UNIs including programmes in SIM, MDIS etc...those who make it to local unis are only abt 25%..however, lousy schools produce their own elites too..as long as u focus and dun get mingled with the lazy 1s..u shld do well..

Bry_n is offline   Add to Bry_n's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 05:03 AM   #30 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
iNFINITY HiGH will become famous soon enough

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You said you got near the JC minimum COP.. but i chose YJC instead of MI. Is it really a mistake to choose a bottom JC?

iNFINITY HiGH is offline   Add to iNFINITY HiGH's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 01:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah thats right. i will get my posting results by tomorow i guess. hopefully i make it to MI. thanks for your guidence, dGEN =)

Old 30th January 2009, 09:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
Account Suspended

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you think MI is lousy and have only 40% entering University, we actually got people winning scholarships also. Though we do not have President scholars yet, but the existence of scholarship winners shows that MI can be a good place where you can excel. The A Levels course is usually a 1 year and a half program but MI gives you around 2 years and a half. With 1 more year to prepare, even if you were to lag behind by a little, there will still be time to catch up. MI is no doubt, in technical terms, the school that is easiest in getting people enter university. Polys only has their top 10% while MI, with more time than JCs, can technically have 100% entering University should all get the right grades.

infinityhigh, not a bad choice but if you experience difficulties in doing a fast paced JC course, you may really have to consider alternatives like Poly or MI, which indeed quite a number of people actually did. A Levels is not a course suitable for everyone.

By the way deepika, do check out www.millenniainstitute.moe.edu.sg/ to see the kind of subject combinations you want to take. There are some new subjects this year such as China Studies in English being offered in our school this year, do take a look. It will help you make a more informed decision on which subject combinations you want.

Last edited by dGen; 30th January 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 31st January 2009, 02:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dGen View Post
If you think MI is lousy and have only 40% entering University, we actually got people winning scholarships also. Though we do not have President scholars yet, but the existence of scholarship winners shows that MI can be a good place where you can excel. The A Levels course is usually a 1 year and a half program but MI gives you around 2 years and a half. With 1 more year to prepare, even if you were to lag behind by a little, there will still be time to catch up. MI is no doubt, in technical terms, the school that is easiest in getting people enter university. Polys only has their top 10% while MI, with more time than JCs, can technically have 100% entering University should all get the right grades.

infinityhigh, not a bad choice but if you experience difficulties in doing a fast paced JC course, you may really have to consider alternatives like Poly or MI, which indeed quite a number of people actually did. A Levels is not a course suitable for everyone.

By the way deepika, do check out www.millenniainstitute.moe.edu.sg/ to see the kind of subject combinations you want to take. There are some new subjects this year such as China Studies in English being offered in our school this year, do take a look. It will help you make a more informed decision on which subject combinations you want.

yea.thanks for your guidance.i will see ya in MI.=)you ve been so kindly explaining stuff.

thanks

Old 31st January 2009, 03:15 PM   #34 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
svpam_ms has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You need to have a positive attitude and mindset. And you just need to study hard and eventually you will make it to University. If you are going to let people belittle you and tell you can't make it, then that will be your biggest blockade. Have a little confidence in yourself and envision yourself in the future. Best of luck peeps!!!

Old 31st January 2009, 03:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
New SGClubber
forfun is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A food hawker will say that his food is the best in the world.

forfun is offline   Add to forfun's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 04:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
svpam_ms has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forfun View Post
A food hawker will say that his food is the best in the world.

Well that's for sure, its only natural. It's part of one's human nature.

Let's take a theorectical approach, if you ended up in the worst school in Singapore, will you still be proud and proclaim that its the best???

We should never look down on people. As my lecturer in Uni says that all human beings are equals. I guess you can catch my drift.

Old 31st January 2009, 06:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fathernature is a jewel in the roughfathernature is a jewel in the rough

Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts

when was MI Started? i think we should let the new institute make its way up bahs.. instead of critizing them

http://soundcloud.com/fathernature
www.youtube.com/xiiaoxuuesheng
fathernature is offline   Add to fathernature's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 12:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
Lancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to behold

Liked 90 Times in 62 Posts

Originally Posted by svpam_ms View Post
Well that's for sure, its only natural. It's part of one's human nature.

Let's take a theorectical approach, if you ended up in the worst school in Singapore, will you still be proud and proclaim that its the best???

We should never look down on people. As my lecturer in Uni says that all human beings are equals. I guess you can catch my drift.
I agree and here's factual proof:

Everybody takes the same PSLE, N/O levels and A levels. It doesn't matter which school you come from because it is YOU who matters. Good schools just happen to have a higher concentration of brighter students, it means nothing in the big picture.

Lancelot is offline   Add to Lancelot's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Account Suspended

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Singapore should remove the cutoff point system from secondary and JCs and allow everyone to apply for any school they wish not based on results, in this way, almost all school will have equal students. If not, government may allocate which school you go to based on where you stay, this way, every school will surely have some very bright student and not off set the balance like what is happening now. Our nation should not build upon elitism but rather on equal chance for everyone.

Old 3rd February 2009, 11:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
AhFaz will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At the end of the day, it still boils down to A levels.Just study hard. JYJY

AhFaz is offline   Add to AhFaz's Reputation Reply With Quote