Money spent on Youth Olympic Games was worthwhile: Minister - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Sports Forum > Special Sports Events > Youth Olympic Games (YOG) Forum » Money spent on Youth Olympic Games was worthwhile: Minister

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2010, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
Money spent on Youth Olympic Games was worthwhile: Minister

Money spent on Youth Olympic Games was worthwhile: Minister

by Leong Wee Keat
05:55 AM Aug 27, 2010

SINGAPORE - Nearing the final straight and realising that initial budget estimates were wrong, Community Development, Youth and Sports Minister Vivian Balakrishnan was faced with a decision on the Youth Olympic Games.

"Do we really go in half-baked?" asked Dr Balakrishnan, "or do we make sure that while we're still very careful with money, we spend enough to deliver a set of games that meets Singapore's standards, that'll make us proud and still be value for money?"

Speaking to Singapore media at a press conference yesterday, Dr Balakrishnan brought up the issue of busting the Games' estimated budget. It is now expected that the Games will have cost about $387 million - three times the original estimate.

However, Dr Balakrishnan reiterated that the money spent was "worthwhile" and Singapore got bang for the buck.

The Minister cited several figures to back this up: Some 180 international broadcasters carried the YOG, with a potential viewership of two billion people.

YOG's YouTube channels drew more than 5 million views - double that of this year's Vancouver Winter Olympics.

The event was also among the top 10 trends on social media network Twitter.

"Whether you like it or not, the fact is that people were talking about it and disseminating it," Dr Balakrishnan said.

Asked about online criticisms on the Games' organisation and its cost, Dr Balakrishnan said the questions raised were "valid but not new". "I'm sure I'll face more questions in Parliament," he said.

While Dr Balakrishnan said the critics were entitled to their opinions, he wished they had "actually participated or volunteered or did something in the Games".

Referring to media reports that a man had been arrested for allegedly inciting violence - after he had posted certain remarks regarding the Games on social networking site Facebook - Dr Balakrishnan said: "I didn't know about it until I read about it in the papers. It shows that I almost didn't care. I had more important things to do."

Without citing any numbers, the Minister said the Games would bring Singapore "significant tangible benefits" in infrastructure, business opportunities, tourism and consumer spending.

He said that he has "no doubts that we'll recoup our investments" on all counts.

The YOG and the upcoming Formula One night race are also part of the "larger game plan of repositioning Singapore".

"We now want to be one of the most exciting, happening, dynamic, vibrant places that cater to all needs," said the Minister.

"After these Games, everyone will know that we are capable of hosting the world, we are capable of doing it with style and efficiency, we are good for our word, we deliver exactly and in fact, we go beyond."

Such a reputation has "significant investment value", Dr Balakrishnan noted.

"The Singapore Government hasn't lost its bearings and its carefulness in spending money. Don't worry about that," he said.

Source: http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...hile--Minister

Sponsors:
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
kelecthor is a jewel in the roughkelecthor is a jewel in the rough

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Money spent on Youth Olympic Games was worthwhile: Minister

Weeee~ Singapore ftw.

kelecthor is offline   Add to kelecthor's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Songwriter
theliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to behold

Liked 179 Times in 124 Posts

Mr Balakrishnan, I do hope you also look at the short-comings of the recent YOG and ensure that next time Singapore hosts any big international event, you'll improve on those areas that we sorely lacked

Old 27th August 2010, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
tkdg3 will become famous soon enough

I was part of the workforce for these games dear vivi and I will still criticise you to the grave. I like the games I like the opportunity it gave to kids to showcase their talents I liked that it was hosted in Sg but I am still waiting for an answer to WHERE the money went to. The fact that you are reluctant to give a simple breakdown of the costs involved deeply hints that there may be something amiss.

And 90% of the friends I spoke to from China, Canada and the US still have no idea that there was even a youth olympic games held these last 2 weeks so where is your international coverage? Overseas media big names like BBC sports have barely given the event a headline. Oh but yes some people are talking about it. News of it has spread to other countries. News of our incompetence, our food hygiene (maggot in the athelete's food), our fool commentators and of our repressive paranoid state thanks to Malik.

tkdg3 is offline   Add to tkdg3's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts

i do agree that more transparency is needed but i think we shld support these efforts as they do build up the reputation of Singapore, which is much needed.

let us not be so quick to condemn but to hear out the full story and get the facts before making our judgments.

Old 27th August 2010, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
zazawa is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol, i doubt the "full story" will come out, anytime soon...

SNSD-☆★☆
zazawa is offline   Add to zazawa's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Agedman will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick View Post
i do agree that more transparency is needed but i think we shld support these efforts as they do build up the reputation of Singapore, which is much needed.

let us not be so quick to condemn but to hear out the full story and get the facts before making our judgments.
YOG is a good event, only the organizer may make it look bad, but I am not saying they are doing a good or bad job.

So is there a full story, or we still waiting for one? If waiting for one, how long we need to wait? Or the wait will be one that wait for people to forget the whole thing?

So far I only heard alot of bad things, but that is of course bad news spread hell lot faster.

Old 27th August 2010, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
boonba has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkdg3 View Post
I was part of the workforce for these games dear vivi and I will still criticise you to the grave. I like the games I like the opportunity it gave to kids to showcase their talents I liked that it was hosted in Sg but I am still waiting for an answer to WHERE the money went to. The fact that you are reluctant to give a simple breakdown of the costs involved deeply hints that there may be something amiss.

And 90% of the friends I spoke to from China, Canada and the US still have no idea that there was even a youth olympic games held these last 2 weeks so where is your international coverage? Overseas media big names like BBC sports have barely given the event a headline. Oh but yes some people are talking about it. News of it has spread to other countries. News of our incompetence, our food hygiene (maggot in the athelete's food), our fool commentators and of our repressive paranoid state thanks to Malik.
Interesting view tkdg3. Is this sentiment shared with many of your fellow volunteers?

I'm surprised many of your friends from the other countries had no idea the YOG was going on. Do share more if you could, or if others has a similar experience or sentiment as tkdg3, do share.

My Name is Nobody (1973)
boonba is offline   Add to boonba's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...-olympic-games

Old 27th August 2010, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My english isn't that good, but from what I can read, the report seems abit bias don't you think so? Or I missed something?

It didn't provide much information, frankly speaking.

Old 27th August 2010, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Sweet_Baruku is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

only the top knows the truth ...we will never know!

Sweet_Baruku is offline   Add to Sweet_Baruku's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 01:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
AzPirate is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by *StarDust* View Post
Without citing any numbers, the Minister said the Games would bring Singapore "significant tangible benefits" in infrastructure, business opportunities, tourism and consumer spending.
Where do normal Singaporeans come into the picture. Another "rich gets richer" event? Those money (SGD$300m) could be used to aid those that other poor. But Noooo, this just have to happen.

"After these Games, everyone (who?) will know that we are capable of hosting the world, we are capable of doing it with style and efficiency , we are good for our word, we deliver exactly and in fact, we go beyond."
Err, What again?

Such a reputation has "significant investment value", Dr Balakrishnan noted.

"The Singapore Government hasn't lost its bearings and its carefulness in spending money. . Don't worry about that," he said.
Then why wouldn't you come clean.

I think I will stop writing too much. SPF may come knocking on my door.

Last edited by AzPirate; 27th August 2010 at 01:26 PM.
AzPirate is offline   Add to AzPirate's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Songwriter
theliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AzPirate View Post
Then why wouldn't you come clean.
Takes some time to collate all the data and publish a thorough examination of what went where lah

If he hastily rushes a report, then people will want to know the specifics.
Must as well he gathers all the data first, inclusive of specifics, then publish it

Old 27th August 2010, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Originally Posted by Agedman View Post
My english isn't that good, but from what I can read, the report seems abit bias don't you think so? Or I missed something?

It didn't provide much information, frankly speaking.
You referring to the link I posted? It's not meant to be informative.

I'm trying to show that even in other countries, there is little interest in the youth olympics despite what we've been trying to achieve by spending so much to host the event. Instead, we've garnered the wrong kind of international media attention. Now they know about our scandals surrounding the yog, forced student volunteerism and stuff, and news about Malik (the guy who got arrested for posting remarks about pap on facebook) has been on the top google news for a while.

Old 27th August 2010, 03:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
AzPirate is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theliverevoluti View Post
Takes some time to collate all the data and publish a thorough examination of what went where lah

If he hastily rushes a report, then people will want to know the specifics.
Must as well he gathers all the data first, inclusive of specifics, then publish it
Same thing also for temasek holdings and GIC also right? (Sarcasm intended)

AzPirate is offline   Add to AzPirate's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 04:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
cisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to behold

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts

坏事傳千里!

I agreed with you sister cause I watch BBC sport but never a single match of YOG is out, but don't say too much le, later TLR not happy as he believe everything is being broadcast to the world

If you want lockerz.com account send email here

CCNA, CEH, CHFI, CWSP, MCTS

Last edited by cisco; 27th August 2010 at 04:26 PM.
cisco is offline   Add to cisco's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 05:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You referring to the link I posted? It's not meant to be informative.

I'm trying to show that even in other countries, there is little interest in the youth olympics despite what we've been trying to achieve by spending so much to host the event. Instead, we've garnered the wrong kind of international media attention. Now they know about our scandals surrounding the yog, forced student volunteerism and stuff, and news about Malik (the guy who got arrested for posting remarks about pap on facebook) has been on the top google news for a while.
ah ok understand your intention then.

Old 27th August 2010, 11:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
workingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to all

Liked 174 Times in 130 Posts

funny leh, say bad news all over the world (to counter the so called good news spread around the world claim), if by world you mean Singapore, i guess i know why. just as how news agencies don't cover Olympics (fyi, MSNBC was the only official Olympics coverage the last time), you wouldn't hear Olympic coverages all over normal news networks daily to begin with. neither do i see reports about what food poisoning on my BBC/CNN networks, so where is this bad news reputation around the world claim coming from?

Old 28th August 2010, 12:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Songwriter

Originally Posted by cisco View Post
later TLR not happy as he believe everything is being broadcast to the world
C'mon, surely you can do better than to just add words into a person's mouth, no?
Or has the cat gotten your tongue and tied it?

Let me dig out an old post from one of the other threads...

...just that nobody other than family of competitors are interested, plain and simple. it's a dumbed down version of the real thing, so people expect lower quality performances, so they think watching it is a waste of time. i dont blame them for thinking that way.

its like how everybody, even people who dont understand football, all watch the fifa world cup, but when the Under 17 world cup or Euros come around, not many people, even hardcore football fans, bother to watch. not high quality enough entertainment, plain and simple.

Old 28th August 2010, 12:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
cisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to behold

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts

Originally Posted by theliverevoluti View Post
C'mon, surely you can do better than to just add words into a person's mouth, no?
Or has the cat gotten your tongue and tied it?

Let me dig out an old post from one of the other threads...
You always will say that others is wrong but you are right, so I am helping you and you should thank me instead

Actually now YOG ended I got nothing to play with you, so sad

If you want lockerz.com account send email here

CCNA, CEH, CHFI, CWSP, MCTS
cisco is offline   Add to cisco's Reputation Reply With Quote