More caught illegally altering vehicles: LTA - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Automobile Forum » More caught illegally altering vehicles: LTA

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2013, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
ms.siqi is a jewel in the roughms.siqi is a jewel in the rough

Liked 153 Times in 144 Posts
More caught illegally altering vehicles: LTA

Motorcyclists who modified their bikes with*illegal exhaust will have to change it back*to the original one as the Land Transport*Authority has tightened its rules. -- BERITA HARIAN PHOTO: M. O. SALLEH

An average of about 40 motorists were caught each day for illegally modifying their vehicles in the first six months of this year.

Their infringements include modifications to exhausts, lights and adding tinted windows, which are against the law.

Latest figures from the Land Transport Authority (LTA) show that there were an average of 1,240 cases a month from January to June - almost 10 times the 146 monthly average in 2008.

An LTA spokesman attributed the increase in the number of vehicle owners nabbed for such offences to stepped-up enforcement and more tip-offs received from the public.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...s-lta-20130811

Sponsors:
Add to ms.siqi's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
Re: More caught illegally altering vehicles: LTA

I believe one day the driver will regret over their illegally alteration.

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
*StarDust* is offline   Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
zainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to all

Liked 219 Times in 184 Posts

Originally Posted by *StarDust* View Post
I believe one day the driver will regret over their illegally alteration.
No they don't. They only change back to the original upon yearly viacom inspection. After the inspection they change back to the modified one. Same goes to sport car owners in Singapore.

zainynn is offline   Add to zainynn's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts

Originally Posted by zainynn View Post
No they don't. They only change back to the original upon yearly viacom inspection. After the inspection they change back to the modified one. Same goes to sport car owners in Singapore.
Not when they meet with accidents.

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
*StarDust* is offline   Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
zainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to all

Liked 219 Times in 184 Posts

Most of the modification does not really compromise of the vehicle road safety. It's more of the exterior look and some with a fierce sound oftentimes when related to bike and sport car.

zainynn is offline   Add to zainynn's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

Liked 312 Times in 239 Posts

It's kind of a phase that many go through, some move on and for some it just gets bigger.

I used to be one of them, though I didn't get caught. Didn't do things like dark window tint, HIDs and bling, just merely a turbo in an old NA car. There are 2 rules to it: 1. If a performance mod is illegal, it gives the best value/ power per buck. and 2. If you do illegal performance mods, keep the exterior stock and simple so you don't attract attention.

Paid a sum (forgot how much) for the inspection and didn't even have to remove anything, but that was before they tightened up back in 06-08. It was fun while it lasted, late night rounds and drives.. But I was always in a lookout and on my toes for road blocks. Not a good feeling. Was still in NS then so chances of meeting TPs and ROVs were cut down.

Now I prefer stock cars as they hold their value the best.. key is to choose a fun car to begin with & I have a thing for old year 2000+ cars. At the most I'll do the exhaust and suspension.

Still I'd rather the TP focus on speeding, especially those trucks and lorries than on cars with tints and exhausts. Mods do not cause accidents, it is the driver. If he is reckless, he will be in any vehicle.

There are two sides to this.. some argue that mods make the car safer, although I can't see how in road conditions because if someone is driving on the road as if it were a track then he should not be doing so in the first place. Which is what I mentioned that it is the driver, not the car. If he has the mentality that the road is a track, then he'll drive like that regardless of whether the car is modified or not.. or he falls into the next category which is ignorance.

The other side to it is that many drivers think they know when they do something to the car, but it's not true.. aka it is in the mind, which gives them a false sense of confidence through lack of knowledge. One example is big brake kits. Many people think they help the car stop better, but it is not true.

The only reason to go for bigger brakes is better heat management, something which is experienced on the track but doesn't happen on the road. The big brakes give a more powerful initial bite as the brake torque is higher which makes the driver think the car can stop better, but he doesn't realise that the braking capacity has been reduced and the brake bias would have been altered due to the different piston size. This may lead to the ABS coming on earlier as the wheels lock up easier, which can increase overall braking distance.

The truth is every production car has the capacity to lock all 4 wheels (without ABS), or brake until the ABS comes on. The primary factors that affects braking distance are the tyres and road condition. Many people simply are not stepping on the brake pedal hard enough in usual cases, which is why they think that their brakes are weak.

and so on to viscosity.

Last edited by typeX; 12th August 2013 at 07:35 PM.
typeX is offline   Add to typeX's Reputation Reply With Quote