More pay for fresh grads - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Workplace and Business Forum » More pay for fresh grads

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2010, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
More pay for fresh grads

More pay for fresh grads

by Ong Dai Lin
05:55 AM Sep 02, 2010

SINGAPORE - Fresh graduates this year are getting more pay, but only marginally. According to a survey by the management consulting firm, Hay Group Singapore, this year's graduates command an average starting pay of $2,461 - only $28 more from $2,433 last year.

"With the recovery this year, employers have upped the salary stakes for finding the best talent from this year's graduating classes," said Mr Victor Chan, the firm's country head of Reward Information Services.

However, those graduating next year, could expect lower starting salaries.

Mr Chan said that due to uncertainties in the global economy, companies will be more cautious. He expects starting salaries for bachelor's and master's degree-holders to fall.

Ms Annie Yap, managing director of human resource consultancy firm AYP Associates, agreed with this assessment. "If the economy is going to move the way that analysts have predicted, then starting salaries will drop," she told MediaCorp.

The survey, which was conducted in July across 89 companies, also found that one in four organisations intend to increase or maintain the number of contract positions this year.

Mr Chan said: "With business cycles becoming increasingly shorter, reliance on contract staff will only increase. This means that graduates should be more open to accepting contract positions, rather than holding out for permanent positions."

Agreeing, the executive director of The Singapore Human Resources Institute, Mr David Ang, said the trend of contractual jobs is "becoming a fact of life".

For diploma-holders, research and development jobs command the highest salary at $1,799. The average starting pay for diploma holders is $1,746.

Source: http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...or-fresh-grads

Sponsors:
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
fadvisor is on a distinguished road

Re: More pay for fresh grads

Thanks for the update, good for the fresh grads. All the senior should have a raise too, I guess haha.

Old 4th September 2010, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Yongjin is a jewel in the roughYongjin is a jewel in the rough

Liked 45 Times in 40 Posts

depends on the type of jobs n industry... certain jobs n industry ya... bt some no... while there r some as high as 3.2 starting......

Old 4th September 2010, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
PureNoob21 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wonder whats the average starting pay for Foreign Talent in Singapore in their 1st year?

I <3 Java Chips

Last edited by PureNoob21; 4th September 2010 at 09:24 PM.
PureNoob21 is offline   Add to PureNoob21's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Wrhall is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well it's a good deal better than when I was a fresh grad... some moons ago

Wrhall is offline   Add to Wrhall's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
celinne is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it's good to have higher salary for fresh grad.. but it's still difficult to get job and get the work pass approved i'm afraid..

celinne is offline   Add to celinne's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
vangel is on a distinguished road

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

pay up or not...
remaining constant is a good sign. I always tell fresh grads (only my personal experience). Negotiate if you can. First sell your skills, dont be arrogant, no one owes you a job. But once they buy you, negotiate your pay, terms etc. Dont just jump at it. Because they 'will' offer you a start, others are busy being arrogant or foolish.

usually if you find it hard to get more [money/benefit] right of the bat, ask to increase pay a bit (10-15% more is a good number) after you are permanent or end of probation. (this shows you are confident of your work).

No oen was there to tell me this..
when i started i literally worked for free for months, but after 1.5years I had hit 50K annual pay including bonus excluding cpf ^^. this is a few years ago so it dont look like much. starting pay when i was fresh grad (2006) was 1600 to 2000$ /month basic. I was getting 600$.

Don't believe in statistics, unemployment rates etc, +28$ n all bleh its not even worth reporting. Those who are believing it are defeating themselves, this is good for you, cause you don't believe in it.

Do not shy away from trying new things, trust me, everyone will tell you you are wrong but the long term benefits are awesome.
Dont be scared to even go solo, if steve jobs had read statistics and decided to apply for jaaabs and take whatever, you wouldnt have Macs and iPhones today.

Trust in hardwork and honesty, yourself, no matter what. You will find good and bad employers too, even absolutely Dilbert's catbert style evil ones. Know that its not bondage, its just a temporary phase, keep your honesty and hardwork until you find your place. If you find a good boss and good company, take less pay if you have to but take it anyway, reasonable bosses are hard to come by and they do not always win the "best employer" awards.

best of luck to all fresh grads out there.
Thats all I can say.