Mystery fish seller at Rochor Canal - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read SGCShop  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > International & Singapore News » Mystery fish seller at Rochor Canal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold

Credits: 10,038
Liked 300 Times in 259 Posts
Cup Mystery fish seller at Rochor Canal

Mystery fish seller at Rochor Canal

Nearby anglers give their catch to elderly man who sells them at $2 each, regardless of size.

Tue, Jul 27, 2010
The New Paper

ARMED with their fishing rods, the group of middle- aged men stand next to the canal, patiently waiting for their next catch.

When they reel in a fish, they toss it to an old man standing nearby,who puts the fish in a plastic bag.

After the old man fills up two bags with the fishes, he proceeds to 'set up stall' along the walkway. Next to the plastic bag is a handwritten note that reads: "Fishes sale, $2 for all."

That is the scene at Rochor Canal every Saturday afternoon.

A group of five to 10 middle-aged men have been fishing at the canal from between a few months and three years.

About two or three years years ago, they got to know the man who sells the fish. He was the one who asked them if they could give him their catch.

But they said they know little else about him as he does not talk much.They don't even know his name. The man, they understand, has lost most of his hearing.

When The New Paper on Sunday was at Rochor Canal last Saturday afternoon, we saw the man, who had a device in his ear, trying to fish on and off.

But he did not catch as many fish - mostly tilapia - as the other anglers.

Perhaps it was because of his hearing, but the man, who looks to be in his 60s, was reluctant to be interviewed.

He asked curtly in fluent English: "Why are you asking these questions? I don't want to blow this up." The only question he answered was if he sold both the big and small fish at the same price.

His reply: "They're all $2 (each)."

The canal has fish aplenty despite its murky appearance, said an angler who gave his name as MrYang.

"Once, I even saw someone catch an 8kg catfish in the canal," the 43-year-old mechanic said of the 0.6m catch.

One of these anglers,Mr Mohammad Ishak, 40, who works in the cargo business, has been spending his weekends fishing at Rochor Canal since two months ago.

He said he either throws his catch back into the canal or gives the larger fish to the elderly man.

Little known

Like the rest of the anglers there, he knows little about the man.

He said: "I don't know his name or where he comes from, but I heard from the other guys that he's deaf and I took pity on him.

"Since I like fishing but don't eat the fish, I just give him what I catch."

But the anglers were modest about their good deed. Mr Yang said: "We're fishing only for recreation.

Besides, we don't eat long kang (Malay for canal) fish because it tastes muddy. So we might as well give the fish to him.

"The money he earns from selling the fish, he (uses that) sometimes to buy some canned drinks for us, to thank us."

Mr Yang said most of the old man's customers are foreign workers who drop by after their work.

The anglers said he is able to sell his entire yield on days with heavy traffic.

But there are also days when he sells none.

When The New Paper on Sunday was there from from 2pm to 7pm last Saturday, the old man did not manage to sell anything though a few people glanced into his bags of fish.

By dusk, all the anglers had left.

The old man, too, packed up his fishing rod, tied up two full bags of unsold fish and walked off.

Source: http://news.asiaone.com/News/The%2BN...26-228945.html

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Account Suspended
tinggou555 is an unknown quantity at this point

Credits: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Mystery fish seller at Rochor Canal

Every fishing enthusiast, fishing tackle market, like shopping, fishing tackle shop, purchase your favorite hook, pole, float, line, round, food, etc. to buy buy one, then used up, left to the next year. But you try to buy floating barrel it? Some fishermen, she will say, I were to catch a drift field notes, do not bleach bucket! However, I think the bleach bucket can directly reveal the wonders of fishing sinkers hanging, so you quick fishing expert!

I learned fishing, is a confused fish, bubble painting of Big Ben drift, tail rough draft, lead sinkers in the end, can not see fish bite. Light look at other people on the fish, his watch the fun; later began studying sports fishing, watching a lot of theory books, videos, can progress is limited.

One time a friend sent me a floating barrel, asked me with a cloth to float around on the drums, to adjust their own floats, that tuned in - for example, touch the bottom of a hook, a hook suspended, open cloth around to see the results. Is often suspended or double hook early lead sinkers has been in the end! Fishing is to appear before the facts instead of speculation.

By floating bucket experiment, I benefit from the following:

1, the water temperature is low, floats, lines of temperature higher than the water temperature, drift and the line will be attached to a lot of bubbles to float line set up, hook, bait off the bottom, and the actual transfer fish to differ, thereby affecting the harvest;

2, see the hook, bait and the use of drift tail correspondence. For example: single-hook the fish float sink pressure of 1.5 projects, a single bait pressure head, so double-double hook bait will float under the pressure of 5 orders. Tune four fishing 2, take 2 floats purpose hook bait weight, bottom weight to bear three purposes bait hook, double hook state is a bottom bait, a bait undercover state;

3. Clearly observed decline in feed atomization process, and in the end of the dissolution time. I used to open bait often dry, hard, sticky, no help lure fish, the effect of atomization, there is serious action decoupling, by observing the different amount of water, and open bait technique, gradually got the hook bait atomization degree and hold time . Every time the fishing scene, I used to open a good bait to throw a hand basin look.

By floating the barrel of the observation, and learning that teachers and fishermen, she's fishing experience, then contact the environment and fish fishing situation, adjust the float fishing group, the right to open bait, so I have a large fishing harvest progress! So, I think: floating barrel - is essential fishing!

tinggou555 is offline   Add to tinggou555's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fgfmse is on a distinguished road

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

at least it would help him to pay some of his expenses

fgfmse is offline   Add to fgfmse's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
autumnorange is on a distinguished roadautumnorange is on a distinguished road

Credits: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinggou555 View Post
Every fishing enthusiast, fishing tackle market, like shopping, fishing tackle shop, purchase your favorite hook, pole, float, line, round, food, etc. to buy buy one, then used up, left to the next year. But you try to buy floating barrel it? Some fishermen, she will say, I were to catch a drift field notes, do not bleach bucket! However, I think the bleach bucket can directly reveal the wonders of fishing sinkers hanging, so you quick fishing expert!

I learned fishing, is a confused fish, bubble painting of Big Ben drift, tail rough draft, lead sinkers in the end, can not see fish bite. Light look at other people on the fish, his watch the fun; later began studying sports fishing, watching a lot of theory books, videos, can progress is limited.

One time a friend sent me a floating barrel, asked me with a cloth to float around on the drums, to adjust their own floats, that tuned in - for example, touch the bottom of a hook, a hook suspended, open cloth around to see the results. Is often suspended or double hook early lead sinkers has been in the end! Fishing is to appear before the facts instead of speculation.

By floating bucket experiment, I benefit from the following:

1, the water temperature is low, floats, lines of temperature higher than the water temperature, drift and the line will be attached to a lot of bubbles to float line set up, hook, bait off the bottom, and the actual transfer fish to differ, thereby affecting the harvest;

2, see the hook, bait and the use of drift tail correspondence. For example: single-hook the fish float sink pressure of 1.5 projects, a single bait pressure head, so double-double hook bait will float under the pressure of 5 orders. Tune four fishing 2, take 2 floats purpose hook bait weight, bottom weight to bear three purposes bait hook, double hook state is a bottom bait, a bait undercover state;

3. Clearly observed decline in feed atomization process, and in the end of the dissolution time. I used to open bait often dry, hard, sticky, no help lure fish, the effect of atomization, there is serious action decoupling, by observing the different amount of water, and open bait technique, gradually got the hook bait atomization degree and hold time . Every time the fishing scene, I used to open a good bait to throw a hand basin look.

By floating the barrel of the observation, and learning that teachers and fishermen, she's fishing experience, then contact the environment and fish fishing situation, adjust the float fishing group, the right to open bait, so I have a large fishing harvest progress! So, I think: floating barrel - is essential fishing!
I have no idea what you're talking about. And what does this have to do with the story (other than fishing =.=) ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0.

Selling metaphysical gemstone products - Pendulums, Wands and more
autumnorange is offline   Add to autumnorange's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท
Peuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud of

Credits: 458
Liked 112 Times in 86 Posts

I do not see anything wrong with these anglers giving their catch to the old man for him to sell.

Old 27-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Weztimonial is just really niceWeztimonial is just really niceWeztimonial is just really niceWeztimonial is just really niceWeztimonial is just really niceWeztimonial is just really nice

Credits: 338
Liked 76 Times in 64 Posts

Is it safe to eat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0.

+1 REP if you think my post is AWESOME!
Weztimonial is offline   Add to Weztimonial's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท
Peuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud of

Credits: 458
Liked 112 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnorange View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about. And what does this have to do with the story (other than fishing =.=) ?
All her threads and posts does not make sense

Old 27-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Weztimonial is just really niceWeztimonial is just really niceWeztimonial is just really niceWeztimonial is just really niceWeztimonial is just really niceWeztimonial is just really nice

Credits: 338
Liked 76 Times in 64 Posts

i think she/he copy and paste only

+1 REP if you think my post is AWESOME!
Weztimonial is offline   Add to Weztimonial's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
allycat is a jewel in the roughallycat is a jewel in the roughallycat is a jewel in the roughallycat is a jewel in the roughallycat is a jewel in the roughallycat is a jewel in the rough

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Canal fish taste test
Are canal fish edible? LifeStyle finds out.

A 20cm pearl-spot chromide, a relative of the tilapia, was caught in the Kallang canal and frozen overnight. The next morning, it was taken to the kitchen of culinary consultant Violet Oon, where her chef and events executive, 29-year-old Joe Heng, cooked the fish.

He said canal fish might have a “muddy’’ smell so he deep-fried the fish and garnished it with fried garlic. He also prepared a Thai-style dipping sauce of fish oil, chopped chilli padi and shallots.

LifeStyle food reviewer Wong Ah Yoke ate the fish and said it did not taste any different from other fish.

He said: “I expected the fish to taste a bit muddy, but it did not. I’m glad Joe fried the fish as opposed to steaming.”

He said that while steaming would have brought out the smoothness of the flesh, it might also bring out the muddy smell of the fish.

Overall, Mr Wong pronounced that the fish was perfectly edible and tasted normal.

But he added: “I wouldn’t eat it regularly, though. Who knows how clean the water is?”

http://www.soshiok.com/article/4918

allycat is offline   Add to allycat's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to beholdLancelot is a splendid one to behold

Credits: 177
Liked 82 Times in 55 Posts

Water? Clean? Where? Shit even commercial fish farms ain't really that clean anyway. Just cook it properly and its as good as anyone can try.

*Have fun on SGClub but pls
and
to Good Ones!*

Lancelot is offline   Add to Lancelot's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
smallbum will become famous soon enoughsmallbum will become famous soon enough

Credits: 5
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Rivers & seas are polluted too how clean do u expect it to be? Unless the fishes are reared on freshwater ponds.

smallbum is offline   Add to smallbum's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
crystal1993 is a jewel in the roughcrystal1993 is a jewel in the roughcrystal1993 is a jewel in the roughcrystal1993 is a jewel in the roughcrystal1993 is a jewel in the roughcrystal1993 is a jewel in the rough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallbum View Post
Rivers & seas are polluted too how clean do u expect it to be? Unless the fishes are reared on freshwater ponds.
I doubt even freshwater ponds are clean. As long as it's left to humans to mend it, it won't be clean.

crystal1993 is offline   Add to crystal1993's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
allycat is a jewel in the roughallycat is a jewel in the roughallycat is a jewel in the roughallycat is a jewel in the roughallycat is a jewel in the roughallycat is a jewel in the rough

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Why catch your own fish when u can buy at the market? Its fresher and safer to consume. Anglers may love catching fish, but I doubt they eat their catch.

I'm hungry.

Old 27-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
CoolCat is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i think the fish would taste badly. The smell of the canal waters soak the fish

Old 27-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
battleboy131 has a spectacular aura aboutbattleboy131 has a spectacular aura aboutbattleboy131 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

What if it was a poisonous fish... HO SEH LIAO!

* Please PM me of any english error I had made in any of my post. +Rep would be given*
battleboy131 is offline   Add to battleboy131's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
kelecthor is a jewel in the roughkelecthor is a jewel in the roughkelecthor is a jewel in the roughkelecthor is a jewel in the roughkelecthor is a jewel in the roughkelecthor is a jewel in the rough

Credits: 4
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Hope they dont kajiao the old man.

kelecthor is offline   Add to kelecthor's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If the longkang fish is indeed contaminated and unfit for consumption, then AVA should do something about this old man. As much as anyone hates to disturb this fish seller, its in the best interest of the public that they put a stop to this. But that is if the fish is dirty. From the looks of things, it seems the fish are ok to eat.

Old 27-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has much to be proud ofchristmas_ has much to be proud ofchristmas_ has much to be proud ofchristmas_ has much to be proud ofchristmas_ has much to be proud ofchristmas_ has much to be proud ofchristmas_ has much to be proud ofchristmas_ has much to be proud ofchristmas_ has much to be proud ofchristmas_ has much to be proud ofchristmas_ has much to be proud ofchristmas_ has much to be proud of

Credits: 5,499
Liked 441 Times in 379 Posts

I rather buy from wet market.

christmas_ is offline   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
By2
V.l.P SGClubber
By2 is just really niceBy2 is just really niceBy2 is just really niceBy2 is just really niceBy2 is just really niceBy2 is just really nice

Credits: 459
Liked 87 Times in 65 Posts

i laugh when i see the long quote

By2 is online now   Add to By2's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold*StarDust* is a splendid one to behold

Credits: 10,038
Liked 300 Times in 259 Posts

I believe I have concern about eating longkang fishes.

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
*StarDust* is offline   Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote