National Family Celebrations to get more families to "Live, Love & Play Together" - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Love & Relationships > Family Matters » National Family Celebrations to get more families to "Live, Love & Play Together"

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2010, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Locutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of light

Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
National Family Celebrations to get more families to "Live, Love & Play Together"

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...054396/1/.html

National Family Celebrations to get more families to "Live, Love & Play Together"
By Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid | Posted: 04 May 2010 2116 hrs

SINGAPORE: The annual National Family Celebrations returns later this month - to get more families to "Live, Love and Play Together".

To be held from May 25, there will be more than 280 activities over 33 days.

"Live, Love and Play Together" is the theme of this year's celebrations.

It's also something that makes the Lims stronger as a family. They make it point to have outings and watch plays together.

Ryan Lim, a father of two young daughters, says: "This is the time you get to spend time with them and enjoy each other's experiences together at the same time."

Organisers want this take this level of family time nationwide.

Chairman of the National Family Council, Lim Soon Hock says: "Over the years, we have been seeing greater support, people believing it the family and people championing the family.

"Anything to do with the family is like running a marathon. There's no end to it. We would really have to continue to work at it, so that 'family first' truly becomes an integral part of our lives and culture."

For the first time, this year's "Family Day Out" will go to the heartlands.

The five community development councils will provide more avenues for families to spend time together.

These include an arts showcase and outdoor movie screening. And 15,000 free tickets to attractions like the Singapore Flyer will be given out.

There's also the annual "Eat With Your Family Day" on the May 27.

More than 70 companies and 17 schools will allow staff and children to go home early at 5pm.

There will also be talks and seminars for families on topics such as parenting tips and work life balance.

Even so, effort has been made to give Singaporean to voice what activities they would want to see in this year's celebrations. In December last year, the National Family Council invited Singaporeans to propose ideas.

Over 250 ideas were received, including one that suggested a carnival at Sentosa. And that's an event that's on the cards on May 29.

In a bid to get more families involved this year, the organising committee is rolling out the Singapore Family Pledge Movement, where families are encouraged to take some time off and make a personal commitment to each other.

Seah Kian Peng, who co-chairs the National Families Celebrations organising committee, says: "Studies have shown, and I think even without studies, you know that if you make a pledge, you make it publicly. I think the likelihood of you following up, and delivering on that pledge is a lot higher than not making a pledge in the first place.

"I will make a few pledges but one of the pledge I want to make for this time round is to bring my parents out for a holiday. I did not get to bring them out for a holiday last year, so I am hoping to do it this year."

The target is to get some 250,000 pledges.

More than 100,000 pledge commitments have been garnered so far. Those who submit their pledges before May 20 will stand a chance to win "Family Day Out" tickets to family attractions and prizes like airline vouchers.

The pledges will be displayed at the finale of the celebrations, with Family Sports Day to be held on 26 June at Bishan Active Park.

The guest of honour will be Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

The finale is also in line with the buzz leading to the Youth Olympic Games.

The public can sign up at www.nfc.sg or call 6777 1672.

Sponsors: