i need advice seriously - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Workplace and Business Forum » i need advice seriously

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2009, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
yeeyer is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i need advice seriously

hmm...i'm 18 and now on this contract from RE. but then after working for 1 month i realise i hated the job to the core and wants to quit. but my contract lasts for 3 months and the agents said i need to pay like the remaining days i didnt work for the company for terminating the contract which amounts to 2k++. that sorta like force me to continue working but i simply want to quit already. than i saw on elsewhere that employees under 21 need not pay for breaching the contract. so i'm not too sure about it now. i once tot of going MIA so that my company will sack me but i'm not sure if i go MIA will i still need to pay the money or not or will they like send a lawyer letter to me. super scared now and really need advice. i haven gone MIA yet until i am very sure that i do not need to pay and need not hold legal resposiblility. yea...hope that kind souls out there with the same experience or wadsoever can help me out...thanks.

Sponsors:
Add to yeeyer's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
开心就好!
BeRRies-* has a spectacular aura about

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Re: i need advice seriously

Do you have the contract ?
Read thru everything ESPECIALLY THOSE IN SUPER SMALL FONT SIZE.

My friend left company before contract ends and she got another job and her company paid for whatever she had to pay.

Old 1st January 2009, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
mr_lite will become famous soon enough

I used to be with RE too.

Their job overview makes it look pretty, but it's literal shit I tell you. Lemme guess, $5.50 or $6.50 an hour?

You can talk to the employer about it, or, go MIA and kick a 50-50 over the legal issue, or just quit and 'pay' RE the 'rightful fees'.

My friend, never go to agencies, they'll cut out almost half of your actual per-hour pay. Find a job through own means next time would be better.

I talked to my boss about it and yes, I got the green to leave.

Old 1st January 2009, 01:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it is a temp job. the contract states that there are bla bla reasons that the company can sack me for. sack me is i don need pay de. and say if i quit i need pay. but previously i went to RE before to say i want to quit. was prepared to pay a bit of money for quitting my job but i didnt expect 2k++...den super shocked and i told the agent i need to consider first lor. means like i never confirm tell them i want to quit. but i scared later they tot now i go MIA means is my confirmation of me wanting to quit den want me to pay the 2k+. where i go find the money lor. go rob go steal also like not possible to get that much...

yeeyer is offline   Add to yeeyer's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
currypok has a spectacular aura about

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

i shall not say my experience with RE, i can only tell you that they never bothered much to press me for paying up,but upon seeing your compensation is 2k++, don't think they would just let you off lightly..
mine was only $200+, a week of compensation.
they called me twice and i just eng siew (entertained) by saying that i would pay end of the month.

in fact,it wasn't my fault.i have told some of my friends about this,they asked me to heck care,worst come to worst, settle at tribunal court (just because of $200+).

for your case, its advisable that you check carefully before you decide to quit.
2k++ is alot of money...-

Old 2nd January 2009, 12:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok i talked to my boss today about wanting to quit. they are willing to let me go. but i still need to pay the 2k++...so like wth. so i'm only left with 2 choices which is to either go mia, or to continue to work with them. my boss didnt even ask me the reason for me quitting and they just say settle with your agent. so i'm super pissed off now. and it's not like i want to quit just plain because i hate the job...it's like i need to freaking stand for 7 hours straight and they dont let us take a short break in between. it's just plain unreasonable lor. when i went for a break, they said do you know that you are not entitled to have breaks? its wth lor. its only stupid a lv students like me and the previous poly students that worked with them are willing to do this kinda jobs. and they said like if our batch give them the same prob as the previous batch den maybe they would not wan to hire anymore ppl ard our age. and deep down i just think ya right as if grads are willing to do this kinda shitty job when they can find some other job that pays better and slacker. wth. i hate my job.

Old 2nd January 2009, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

if i am not wrong,there's labour law that you are entitled for breaks after like 4 or 5 hours at work depending your working hours.
go MIA meaning?

choot pattern lor, continue to work with them and at the same time,always take MC from polyclinic (cheapest) till your employer condemn you due to poor attendance.
report late or purposely make mistake at work.

if your employer terminates/sack you, does he have to pay your salary?and do you need to compensate them despite that you have been terminated?

that's why i don't like contract job.it ties you down.unless you are working happily.

Old 2nd January 2009, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
albert_sy2 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what is RE?

albert_sy2 is offline   Add to albert_sy2's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

don't MIA without reason,you only make thing worst.
there's diff between being terminated and sack, you won't get paid from being sack unlike termination (my personal exp, correct me if i am wrong)

if you are still scared,call up ministry of labour to ask.

currypok added 0 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by albert_sy2 View Post
what is RE?
recruit express

Last edited by currypok; 2nd January 2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Post Bumping
currypok is offline   Add to currypok's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
restless is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

RE is recruit express??

wait...can explain whats your current job and what you're doing day to day?
everybody's level of tolerance is different, so i don't know if its some well brought up kid who can't take any kind of hardship.

nxt, does recruitment agency take their commission from our salary? or from the company?
from what i read, ppl here say they deduct our pay for the agents. but my friend say, we get the same pay, as the company will pay the agents.

who is right?

restless is offline   Add to restless's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my job is one that stands the whole day at some place trying to prevent accidents from happening. eg. preventing ppl from falling into the track or step out of the yellow line(hint hint). shldnt spell out company name in case they sue me or wad. yea and there are a lot of foreign workers around and they will always look at u like some idiots and take pictures of u sometimes. which makes me feel violated. it's something like a customer service, but the job scope is crap. and sometimes anyhow will tio scold by 'customers' when like huh? wad did we do that kind. sometimes i just dont feel appreciated for the effort i put into my job. crap.

Old 2nd January 2009, 12:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
so_lonely will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why did you even agree to do it in the first place when you first knew it was going to be like that? Moreoever it stated you have to commit 3 months (or a certain period) then you can leave. I believe everything is conveyed to you properly and you were given a choice to accept or reject. The fact you accepted means you have to do your job and fulfill the period stated. If not, you are just being irresponsible. Your irresponsibility has a high price to pay. As a fellow human, I would advise you to be responsible and stay true to your word. You signed the contract, you fulfill it. Simple as that. You gotta finish it up.

Take it as a lesson learnt. A contract is a contract. It exists to protect the parties involved. It is not something you happy happy want to break then break. If like that sign for what? Next time clarify what you are supposed to do, the benefits given to you and the time period involved THEN you sign. For now, just treat it as National Service. Crap job, low pay. You are lucky you didnt sign a 2 year contract like the rest of the boys here. LOL

Old 2nd January 2009, 02:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
johntitus is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

no breaks entitled.. that is super bull la.. that one can complain to ministry of labour alr.. doesn't matter if it's is written in the contract anot, because there is a law that enforces proper treatment of workers. Legal law usually can overwrite any unreasonable condition in a contract.

worst come to worst.. seek NTUC for help.. they love helping ill treated workers..

johntitus is offline   Add to johntitus's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Uyoku has a spectacular aura about

you signed it but there's no seal =p

Uyoku is offline   Add to Uyoku's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 03:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
DestinyAthrun is a jewel in the roughDestinyAthrun is a jewel in the rough

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

i would say...if you can stick to the job

in the future to come there will be so many jobs you dont like but have to do under situation that calls for it

its 2 months, hang on this is good experience for you to cope later on when you come to a similar situation

"what doesnt kill you, only makes you stronger"

Old 2nd January 2009, 05:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
PinkLady has a spectacular aura about

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Guys, dun be mistaken. its not ministry of labour. its MOM. but if you signed on the contract & break it, u cfm have to pay. its whether more or less. i suggest, since u r not willing to pay the 2k+++ which is a lot, u need to bear and grin with it. bobiah rite? look at the MOM website, it will state u need to give the workers a break, after working ------ hours. then print out and show it to the boss or whoever-in-charge.

PinkLady is offline   Add to PinkLady's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 05:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
PECTOPAH is a jewel in the roughPECTOPAH is a jewel in the rough

Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts

u signed the contract, which means u are legally binded to the terms in the contract
always read the contract b4 signing

from what u say, i dont think theres a fast and easy way out

Last edited by PECTOPAH; 2nd January 2009 at 05:36 PM.
PECTOPAH is offline   Add to PECTOPAH's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anyway, i went to read the singapore's law for contracts. well i am under 21 years old and that makes me a minor and i can just break off without having to pay. but just to be extra sure, i'm going to for legal consultation tomorrow. and btw so_lonely, i didnt know this would happen. i've nvr stand for 7 hours straight before so far. and i tot it would be ok to stand for 7 hours before i took the job. and after that i realise i cant take it. it's not normal muscle pain leh...its my joints that is aching like siao. like some old ah ma like that de. zzz.

Old 3rd January 2009, 12:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
huiping0712 is an unknown quantity at this point

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yeeyer View Post
anyway, i went to read the singapore's law for contracts. well i am under 21 years old and that makes me a minor and i can just break off without having to pay. but just to be extra sure, i'm going to for legal consultation tomorrow. and btw so_lonely, i didnt know this would happen. i've nvr stand for 7 hours straight before so far. and i tot it would be ok to stand for 7 hours before i took the job. and after that i realise i cant take it. it's not normal muscle pain leh...its my joints that is aching like siao. like some old ah ma like that de. zzz.
yes, minor, contracts are not legally binding. but there are also some exceptions. employment contract and contracts which are a neccessity are legally binding.

as for the pain, it's different people got different endurance. I have experienced this type of pain, but that's work for you. If you dun wan any type of pain, you can ask ur agent help you find those office job. No need stand for so long. Maybe have to walk around, but at least you can sit. Try to get those type of jobs. And usually they wun give you difficult tasks. Just normal admin work.

:rock:

So am I considered living my life to the fullest? :biggrin4:

I love my mama!
I love chocolates! :love4:
huiping0712 is offline   Add to huiping0712's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 02:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
New SGClubber
xiaobao07 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Girl.. i would recommend u not to quit.. Just take this as a lesson u ought to go thru.. Not all the jobs u enrol u will like it.. But if u keep job hopping, the one who will suffer is u..

BUT...
If u really hate this company to the core and working there for another 2 month might end ur life.. then,, still dun quit!! play punk with them and wait for them to 'sack' u..

xiaobao07 is offline   Add to xiaobao07's Reputation Reply With Quote