Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Automobile Forum » Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2009, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Zannillerine is on a distinguished road

 
Zannillerine's Avatar
 
Posts: 530
Join Date: Feb 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Hi I just got my new car this year and it is my first car and I was wondering if there is anything I need to keep in mind.. Like how to maintain the car, when to top water etc. I recently went for my first 1k servicing at the Honda Service Centre at Ubi and my next service will be at 10 000km so is there anything I need to know?

Air Filter what n how to keep it clean?
How often do I need to polish the car.?
I wash my car and lather the leather seat with leather conditioner but I am not sure what else I am missing out...

Any valuable advice will be very much appreciate.

Cheers

Zannillerine added 5 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

Sorry if there is any post before this about the topic I didn't see any in this page..

Sponsors:
__________________

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel

Last edited by Zannillerine; 26th March 2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Post Bumping
Zannillerine is offline  
Add to Zannillerine's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
vios21 is just really nicevios21 is just really nice

 
vios21's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,021
Join Date: Jan 2009
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

For maintenance of your car like air filter, etc....look through your driver's manual.

Abit hard to tell you how to identify what's what when u pop the bonnet.

Basically if you're looking at your engine now, the wiper motor water should be on the left. Look out for a black/blue plastic cap with a icon on it that looks like a spraying nozzle. That's to top up wiper water. Then as you move right, that's your engine and removing the cover will expose the spark plug cable. NExt as you move on more to your right, you'll see a black box with about 4 metal clips. That's where your air filter is.Further right is battery and depending on model, ECU can also be there.

That's just a general overview. If you're not into modification, during servicing mechanic will do the necessary checks and changes for you.

For new cars, invest in a good polish to maintain the lusturous shine. Use a seperate sponge/cloth to wash the body and rims if you're gonna diy. Waxing of 1 layer should last 2weeks for me. Some brands i'll recommend will be soft99 and Zymol. Hard wax is alittle strenuous but worth the effort. Most first time owners will use it then give up after awhile

Different car servicing agents has diff servicing schedules. IF after 1k servicing they still use mineral oil, my personal advice is don't over-rev too frequently. However if fully syn oil is use, do it gradually as your engine is still relatively new. This is "conservative" break-in.

Wat else you wanna know?

__________________
Divine Moments | Photography


vios21 is offline   Add to vios21's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

 
typeX's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,300
Join Date: May 2008
Likes: 144
Liked 312 Times in 239 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Originally Posted by Zannillerine View Post
Hi I just got my new car this year and it is my first car and I was wondering if there is anything I need to keep in mind.. Like how to maintain the car, when to top water etc. I recently went for my first 1k servicing at the Honda Service Centre at Ubi and my next service will be at 10 000km so is there anything I need to know?

Air Filter what n how to keep it clean?
How often do I need to polish the car.?
I wash my car and lather the leather seat with leather conditioner but I am not sure what else I am missing out...

Any valuable advice will be very much appreciate.

Cheers

Zannillerine added 5 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

Sorry if there is any post before this about the topic I didn't see any in this page..
congrats~ what car is it?

unfortunately.. cars are designed so that the owner has to do as little maintenance/checks as possible, so you won't be doing much. some cars won't even let you see the engine with everything covered up. they're supposed to be drive and forget nowadays, so much so that knowing where the pop bonnet lever is isn't a requirement anymore. but its good that you wanna know more bout your car thou.

not into polishing/detailing so maybe those with experience in that can comment.

to me, i think 10,000km is alittle too much for a car especially for urban stop-go driving, even though the manual says 10,000km. I'd change the oil and filter about 5000-8000kms, use my own oil that I bought with the brand/viscosity I like, and do it at an outside workshop where i can actually see the oil being put in. Not sure if it voids your warranty though, but you can always do it outside the record and still send it to KM after 10,000kms. Heard some not so good stories bout agent servicing..

By topping up water, you mean battery, radiator, or washer water? If your car's using maintenance free battery then there's no battery water. Radiator water or coolant is usually green, red or blue in colour. follow the overflow line from your radiator cap and you'll find the coolant reservoir, check if the fluid is at the line. You can top up with distilled water, for small amounts. For washer water, as what vios21 says, look for the cap with the spraying icon on it, should be quite visible.

Other fluids that can be checked are brake, clutch (manual), powersteering and transmission fluid (if its an auto). usually for a new car, they're not a problem.

Since you're checking, it would be a good habit to check the oil level in your car periodically also, to see if the oil level is still sufficient and also the colour/viscosity of the oil should be dark brown and not black/sticky. one thing i do is after moving the car out of my lot, i look at the floor also for any leaked fluids, etc.

Before driving, its also a good habit to walk around your car once after starting it, giving time for it to warm up also. look at the tyres to see if they're still inflated properly (or if u want, u can measure the pressure), and keep a lookout for anything unusual.

For your stock air filter, its meant to be a disposable, fit and forget item. Never try to clean the stock air filter, nor let the workshop do it. (by washing, spraying with compressed air, etc) that is why it is always good to oversee the servicing of your car. For replacement intervals, can refer to your user's manual.

To sum it all, you shouldn't be needing to do much bout your car or top up anything regularly besides the washer water if u like spraying your windscreen alot. If you find the constant need to top up something etc, oil or radiator coolant, then there's a problem somewhere.

__________________
Big whirls have little whirls
that feed on their velocity;
And little whirls have lesser whirls
and so on to viscosity.

Last edited by typeX; 26th March 2009 at 10:16 AM.
typeX is offline   Add to typeX's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
vios21 is just really nicevios21 is just really nice

 
vios21's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,021
Join Date: Jan 2009
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Oh ya, don't need to pump anything more then Ron95 fuel if your car does'nt require cause it's a waste

__________________
Divine Moments | Photography


vios21 is offline   Add to vios21's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Zannillerine is on a distinguished road

 
Zannillerine's Avatar
 
Posts: 530
Join Date: Feb 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Hey guys thanks for the advice I think I still need to read the manual again lol

I only open the bonnet once to look at the engine and remove some leaves stuck there and I saw the wiper water.. the rest I have to check it out like you guys said.

Got a new Honda Jazz run in as taught by the guy was to no go above 3rev but so far I never go beyond that and I haven't sped past 100km yet lol too scared of the damn cars n motorbike zooming around. But thanks for the tips and I have yet to wax my new car yet as it seems to be still shiny as I wash my car every week.

But washing of my car I only use water as I don't drive it all the time and I am not sure when to even start the waxing for the car. My car is only 2 months old so yea
Will open my bonnet and start learning which is what and I appreciate all the advices.. Will pop n check the engines n re-read manual again but if there is anything else that u think I need to know as a first time owner pls do let me know. I rather learn now then to kill my car unknowingly lol

Cheers!!

Zannillerine added 5 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by vios21 View Post
Oh ya, don't need to pump anything more then Ron95 fuel if your car does'nt require cause it's a waste
Using Shell 98 as the petrol can be claim so I went for 98 iso 95

I heard from the car agent that shell petrol isn't good for Honda car. Something about oil not as smooth so not sure if different petrol can affect your car engine.

Btw I remember the Service Centre at Ubi used Shell Helix I think it is the black oil? or whatever that was for. They did mention something about rust coat for the bottom of your car wasn't sprayed is that necessary? The car agent said everything was done when we bought the new car...

Zannillerine added 12 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by typeX View Post
congrats~ what car is it?

unfortunately.. cars are designed so that the owner has to do as little maintenance/checks as possible, so you won't be doing much. some cars won't even let you see the engine with everything covered up. they're supposed to be drive and forget nowadays, so much so that knowing where the pop bonnet lever is isn't a requirement anymore. but its good that you wanna know more bout your car thou.

not into polishing/detailing so maybe those with experience in that can comment.

to me, i think 10,000km is alittle too much for a car especially for urban stop-go driving, even though the manual says 10,000km. I'd change the oil and filter about 5000-8000kms, use my own oil that I bought with the brand/viscosity I like, and do it at an outside workshop where i can actually see the oil being put in. Not sure if it voids your warranty though, but you can always do it outside the record and still send it to KM after 10,000kms. Heard some not so good stories bout agent servicing..

By topping up water, you mean battery, radiator, or washer water? If your car's using maintenance free battery then there's no battery water. Radiator water or coolant is usually green, red or blue in colour. follow the overflow line from your radiator cap and you'll find the coolant reservoir, check if the fluid is at the line. You can top up with distilled water, for small amounts. For washer water, as what vios21 says, look for the cap with the spraying icon on it, should be quite visible.

Other fluids that can be checked are brake, clutch (manual), powersteering and transmission fluid (if its an auto). usually for a new car, they're not a problem.

Since you're checking, it would be a good habit to check the oil level in your car periodically also, to see if the oil level is still sufficient and also the colour/viscosity of the oil should be dark brown and not black/sticky. one thing i do is after moving the car out of my lot, i look at the floor also for any leaked fluids, etc.

Before driving, its also a good habit to walk around your car once after starting it, giving time for it to warm up also. look at the tyres to see if they're still inflated properly (or if u want, u can measure the pressure), and keep a lookout for anything unusual.

For your stock air filter, its meant to be a disposable, fit and forget item. Never try to clean the stock air filter, nor let the workshop do it. (by washing, spraying with compressed air, etc) that is why it is always good to oversee the servicing of your car. For replacement intervals, can refer to your user's manual.

To sum it all, you shouldn't be needing to do much bout your car or top up anything regularly besides the washer water if u like spraying your windscreen alot. If you find the constant need to top up something etc, oil or radiator coolant, then there's a problem somewhere.


Yea I was talking about those misc things to check n stuff cos I don't think I can wait till the next 10 000 km before it is being service so I rather know what to check and understand the necessary myself and like checking of coolant n transmission fluid.

I got a auto car so yea transmission fluid I need to check myself as well.. k this sunday I have a lot of things to do

Thanks and keep info and advices coming in. I will keep reading n posting if there are any other questions

Cheerios!

__________________

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel

Last edited by Zannillerine; 26th March 2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
Zannillerine is offline   Add to Zannillerine's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

 
typeX's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,300
Join Date: May 2008
Likes: 144
Liked 312 Times in 239 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Originally Posted by Zannillerine View Post
Hey guys thanks for the advice I think I still need to read the manual again lol

I only open the bonnet once to look at the engine and remove some leaves stuck there and I saw the wiper water.. the rest I have to check it out like you guys said.

Got a new Honda Jazz run in as taught by the guy was to no go above 3rev but so far I never go beyond that and I haven't sped past 100km yet lol too scared of the damn cars n motorbike zooming around. But thanks for the tips and I have yet to wax my new car yet as it seems to be still shiny as I wash my car every week.

But washing of my car I only use water as I don't drive it all the time and I am not sure when to even start the waxing for the car. My car is only 2 months old so yea
Will open my bonnet and start learning which is what and I appreciate all the advices.. Will pop n check the engines n re-read manual again but if there is anything else that u think I need to know as a first time owner pls do let me know. I rather learn now then to kill my car unknowingly lol

Cheers!!

Zannillerine added 5 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...



Using Shell 98 as the petrol can be claim so I went for 98 iso 95

I heard from the car agent that shell petrol isn't good for Honda car. Something about oil not as smooth so not sure if different petrol can affect your car engine.

Btw I remember the Service Centre at Ubi used Shell Helix I think it is the black oil? or whatever that was for. They did mention something about rust coat for the bottom of your car wasn't sprayed is that necessary? The car agent said everything was done when we bought the new car...

Zannillerine added 12 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Yea I was talking about those misc things to check n stuff cos I don't think I can wait till the next 10 000 km before it is being service so I rather know what to check and understand the necessary myself and like checking of coolant n transmission fluid.

I got a auto car so yea transmission fluid I need to check myself as well.. k this sunday I have a lot of things to do

Thanks and keep info and advices coming in. I will keep reading n posting if there are any other questions

Cheerios!
Yup, i think so far you're doing everything right. good to know you're taking effort to maintain your car as alot of other drivers esp ladies take these things for granted.

petrol across the brands should be about the same for the same RON rating, with minor variations in perhaps the additives they use. I've always used shell in sg, but that's just a personal preference. now i go for caltex. If your company pays, then might as well pump more expensive stuff yea.

Shell helix for the engine oil? but within the helix range also have different kinds of grade and viscosity. eg, mineral, semi-synthetic and fully synthetic, as well as for eg, 0w30, 5w40, etc. Its better to go for fully synthetic oil imo, and the recommended viscosity should be in the manual.

anw, becareful when checking fluids also and use a clean piece of cloth of lint-less paper towel (not tissue) as u could introduce impurities into the oil instead. The correct level would be shown with the engine switched off and wait awhile for the oils to settle down into the sump. checking the oil level when the engine is on gives false readings.

have fun with your car, spend more time knowing where the parts are n such.. makes you feel more connected with it.

__________________
Big whirls have little whirls
that feed on their velocity;
And little whirls have lesser whirls
and so on to viscosity.

Last edited by typeX; 26th March 2009 at 12:53 PM.
typeX is offline   Add to typeX's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
vios21 is just really nicevios21 is just really nice

 
vios21's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,021
Join Date: Jan 2009
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Free time go paya lebar industrial take a drive and look around

__________________
Divine Moments | Photography


vios21 is offline   Add to vios21's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Zannillerine is on a distinguished road

 
Zannillerine's Avatar
 
Posts: 530
Join Date: Feb 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Originally Posted by typeX View Post
Yup, i think so far you're doing everything right. good to know you're taking effort to maintain your car as alot of other drivers esp ladies take these things for granted.

petrol across the brands should be about the same for the same RON rating, with minor variations in perhaps the additives they use. I've always used shell in sg, but that's just a personal preference. now i go for caltex. If your company pays, then might as well pump more expensive stuff yea.

Shell helix for the engine oil? but within the helix range also have different kinds of grade and viscosity. eg, mineral, semi-synthetic and fully synthetic, as well as for eg, 0w30, 5w40, etc. Its better to go for fully synthetic oil imo, and the recommended viscosity should be in the manual.

anw, becareful when checking fluids also and use a clean piece of cloth of lint-less paper towel (not tissue) as u could introduce impurities into the oil instead. The correct level would be shown with the engine switched off and wait awhile for the oils to settle down into the sump. checking the oil level when the engine is on gives false readings.

have fun with your car, spend more time knowing where the parts are n such.. makes you feel more connected with it.
LOL I didnt even know what that Shell Helix thing is for, I have to go check the service sheet to check what exactly that is and u reckon I should change when the car hits 5k - 8k ? what are the signs I have to look out for to replace the oil? Is it hard to change the engine oil myself or do I have to go to the workshop? sorry for the totally nub questions here ^^

I will do the check this weekend n see if I can have a better understanding of what is below the bonnet
I dont wanna be clueless baby!!


Btw what is the difference between Caltex n Shell petrol? Do you feel the difference or can we fee the difference in car performance with different petrol? I have a Coperate Shell Card so no choice have to use Shell l

Zannillerine added 5 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by vios21 View Post
Free time go paya lebar industrial take a drive and look around
Lolz May I ask go there to look around for what? Monkeys or repair workshop?

__________________

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel

Last edited by Zannillerine; 26th March 2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
Zannillerine is offline   Add to Zannillerine's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
vios21 is just really nicevios21 is just really nice

 
vios21's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,021
Join Date: Jan 2009
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Originally Posted by Zannillerine View Post
LOL I didnt even know what that Shell Helix thing is for, I have to go check the service sheet to check what exactly that is and u reckon I should change when the car hits 5k - 8k ? what are the signs I have to look out for to replace the oil? Is it hard to change the engine oil myself or do I have to go to the workshop? sorry for the totally nub questions here ^^

I will do the check this weekend n see if I can have a better understanding of what is below the bonnet
I dont wanna be clueless baby!!


Btw what is the difference between Caltex n Shell petrol? Do you feel the difference or can we fee the difference in car performance with different petrol? I have a Coperate Shell Card so no choice have to use Shell l

Zannillerine added 5 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...



Lolz May I ask go there to look around for what? Monkeys or repair workshop?

Of course to get poison for your car

__________________
Divine Moments | Photography


vios21 is offline   Add to vios21's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Zannillerine is on a distinguished road

 
Zannillerine's Avatar
 
Posts: 530
Join Date: Feb 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Clueless* I never mod my car no intention to anyways.. Want to keep it simple and clean.. Until I know the car mechanics better then I might want to add in this and that but for now.. The original state seems pretty awesome!!

Eh what poison leh.... Faints* ENGLISH PLS

__________________

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel
Zannillerine is offline   Add to Zannillerine's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 03:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

 
typeX's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,300
Join Date: May 2008
Likes: 144
Liked 312 Times in 239 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Originally Posted by Zannillerine View Post
LOL I didnt even know what that Shell Helix thing is for, I have to go check the service sheet to check what exactly that is and u reckon I should change when the car hits 5k - 8k ? what are the signs I have to look out for to replace the oil? Is it hard to change the engine oil myself or do I have to go to the workshop? sorry for the totally nub questions here ^^

I will do the check this weekend n see if I can have a better understanding of what is below the bonnet
I dont wanna be clueless baby!!

Btw what is the difference between Caltex n Shell petrol? Do you feel the difference or can we fee the difference in car performance with different petrol? I have a Coperate Shell Card so no choice have to use Shell l

Zannillerine added 5 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Lolz May I ask go there to look around for what? Monkeys or repair workshop?
Yup, Helix is just the name Shell gives to its range of engine oils. Castrol has the Edge range, Mobil calls it 1.

the 5-8k is just a personal preference ba, not a must. Its good to change the fluids as often as possible to keep the engine clean n healthy, theres no minimum mileage also. can even change everyday if one has the $$. Since your car is new, its good to change it more often also as wearing in of parts may cause some metallic bits to get scraped off (in the microns level), which may or may not get trapped by the oil filter.

Normally people go by mileage, or time frame. eg, 5000km or 3 months, whichever is earlier. my other car hardly gets driven so I change the oil by time frame instead. oil sitting too long in the sump also oxidises and absorbs water (thru condensation, etc).

If you're the hands on kind or adventurous, you can change the oil by yourself. but in sg, its better to just pay maybe $20 or $30 for labour and keep your hands clean. The problem is more of where to dispose of the waste oil. where i am, workmanship is very expensive, got quoted $200 labour for changing the engine and gearbox oils (not including oil). O.O so I do the oil changes by myself. There is an investment of some tools, eg, hydraulic jack, jackstands, wrenches n stuff which set me a couple of hundred. but in the long time its worth it.

i've no training as a mechanic so it was a hassle the first time, coz of the placement of the oil filter and i couldn't find the transmission drain plug, but it gets easier after. new cars have this undertray or plastic bash plate under to cover everything, which might be a pain to remove.

the DIY style is something like this:


when sending the car for a service or fixup, hang around the car and observe what the mechanic is doing, can learn alot from it also. certain simple stuff you could even DIY in future, saving more $$ and also gives u more self satisfaction (thou with agent service don't think you're allowed into the workshop)

Between caltex and shell, its down to personal preference i suppose. Felt that caltex gave slightly better mileage, coz i pumped it once out of convenience. anyway i have discount coupons for that so i'll just stick to it. in sg, i was a loyal shell customer.. my ex car only drank v-power, lol.

__________________
Big whirls have little whirls
that feed on their velocity;
And little whirls have lesser whirls
and so on to viscosity.

Last edited by typeX; 26th March 2009 at 03:50 PM.
typeX is offline   Add to typeX's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 04:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Zannillerine is on a distinguished road

 
Zannillerine's Avatar
 
Posts: 530
Join Date: Feb 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Originally Posted by typeX View Post
Yup, Helix is just the name Shell gives to its range of engine oils. Castrol has the Edge range, Mobil calls it 1.

the 5-8k is just a personal preference ba, not a must. Its good to change the fluids as often as possible to keep the engine clean n healthy, theres no minimum mileage also. can even change everyday if one has the $$. Since your car is new, its good to change it more often also as wearing in of parts may cause some metallic bits to get scraped off (in the microns level), which may or may not get trapped by the oil filter.

Normally people go by mileage, or time frame. eg, 5000km or 3 months, whichever is earlier. my other car hardly gets driven so I change the oil by time frame instead. oil sitting too long in the sump also oxidises and absorbs water (thru condensation, etc).

If you're the hands on kind or adventurous, you can change the oil by yourself. but in sg, its better to just pay maybe $20 or $30 for labour and keep your hands clean. The problem is more of where to dispose of the waste oil. where i am, workmanship is very expensive, got quoted $200 labour for changing the engine and gearbox oils (not including oil). O.O so I do the oil changes by myself. There is an investment of some tools, eg, hydraulic jack, jackstands, wrenches n stuff which set me a couple of hundred. but in the long time its worth it.

i've no training as a mechanic so it was a hassle the first time, coz of the placement of the oil filter and i couldn't find the transmission drain plug, but it gets easier after. new cars have this undertray or plastic bash plate under to cover everything, which might be a pain to remove.

the DIY style is something like this:


when sending the car for a service or fixup, hang around the car and observe what the mechanic is doing, can learn alot from it also. certain simple stuff you could even DIY in future, saving more $$ and also gives u more self satisfaction (thou with agent service don't think you're allowed into the workshop)

Between caltex and shell, its down to personal preference i suppose. Felt that caltex gave slightly better mileage, coz i pumped it once out of convenience. anyway i have discount coupons for that so i'll just stick to it. in sg, i was a loyal shell customer.. my ex car only drank v-power, lol.
Ic very interesting.. oil changing seems to be hard work and I guess that have to be done by a man not me! :qmarkgrin : might get my car agent to recommend me a reliable workshop for oil change n stuff.. and yea for agent service I can't enter the workshop but I did stick outside the workshop n view from far what they were doing before going to the reception area for coffee but still no idea what they were doing anyway lol:

For now my mileage is about 2k plus so seems pretty ok so I might wait for either 3months from date of service and mileage like you recommended ^^

Is vpower really good I still dont know why there are different kinds of petrol lolz only know to get 98 cos its not the most expensive and the company wont bitch about it

__________________

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel

Last edited by Zannillerine; 26th March 2009 at 04:14 PM.
Zannillerine is offline   Add to Zannillerine's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 04:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

 
typeX's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,300
Join Date: May 2008
Likes: 144
Liked 312 Times in 239 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Originally Posted by Zannillerine View Post
Ic very interesting.. oil changing seems to be hard work and I guess that have to be done by a man not me! :qmarkgrin : might get my car agent to recommend me a reliable workshop for oil change n stuff.. and yea for agent service I can't enter the workshop but I did stick outside the workshop n view from far what they were doing before going to the reception area for coffee but still no idea what they were doing anyway lol:

For now my mileage is about 2k plus so seems pretty ok so I might wait for either 3months from date of service and mileage like you recommended ^^

Is vpower really good I still dont know why there are different kinds of petrol lolz only know to get 98 cos its not the most expensive and the company wont bitch about it
Bout agent servicing.. nv sent mine to one before but i've heard some bad stories bout it. you might want to use a silver paint marker to make a mark on your oil filter before sending the car for service. check for the mark after, and the oil colour to make sure they changed it. It should be golden brown in colour right after the topup and few 10s of meters of driving. check if they overfill the oil also, coz overfilling is bad for the engine, worse than underfilling.

92, 95 and 98 are RON or research octane numbers. they give an indication of the anti-knock properties of the petrol. An engine with higher compression ratio of say, 11 and above, or a turbocharged engine will benefit from a higher octane fuel because knock is the main enemy of these engines. (knock or detonation/pinging is when the fuel mix ignities before the spark fires, causing a kind of shockwave inside the engine, very very bad). Running a lower RON fuel for these cars might result in loss of power when the ECU tries to retard the timing to protect the engine. hence the impression and saying that 98 gives more power than 95, but its actually just allowing these engines to work their full potential.

But for the conventional car of compression ratio ard 10~10.5, it doesn't matter if its 95 or 98 coz the antiknock properties of the 98 won't be fully utilized.

__________________
Big whirls have little whirls
that feed on their velocity;
And little whirls have lesser whirls
and so on to viscosity.

Last edited by typeX; 26th March 2009 at 04:38 PM.
typeX is offline   Add to typeX's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 05:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Zannillerine is on a distinguished road

 
Zannillerine's Avatar
 
Posts: 530
Join Date: Feb 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Originally Posted by typeX View Post
Bout agent servicing.. nv sent mine to one before but i've heard some bad stories bout it. you might want to use a silver paint marker to make a mark on your oil filter before sending the car for service. check for the mark after, and the oil colour to make sure they changed it. It should be golden brown in colour right after the topup and few 10s of meters of driving. check if they overfill the oil also, coz overfilling is bad for the engine, worse than underfilling.

92, 95 and 98 are RON or research octane numbers. they give an indication of the anti-knock properties of the petrol. An engine with higher compression ratio of say, 11 and above, or a turbocharged engine will benefit from a higher octane fuel because knock is the main enemy of these engines. (knock or detonation/pinging is when the fuel mix ignities before the spark fires, causing a kind of shockwave inside the engine, very very bad). Running a lower RON fuel for these cars might result in loss of power when the ECU tries to retard the timing to protect the engine. hence the impression and saying that 98 gives more power than 95, but its actually just allowing these engines to work their full potential.

But for the conventional car of compression ratio ard 10~10.5, it doesn't matter if its 95 or 98 coz the antiknock properties of the 98 won't be fully utilized.
Hmmm so I guess I need to learn more tips n tricks in order not to be "carrotchop" yea I will take note of the oil change the next time I send it in. I know they left an empty bottle of shell Helix in my car after servicing.. I think it is to show me that is the bottle of engine oil being fill As I bought the car from Honda -Kah Motors direct so the guy actually told me to send it in to the own service centre as if I send it to other workshop and things been changed and stuff and if I want to claim my warranty it would be void. I better go read the whole terms and conditions again

Thanks for giving me a better insight to the different types of petrol available. At least now I know what it does to the car!

I better go read more and surf more sites to broaden my knowledge on automobiles!

Cheers

__________________

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel
Zannillerine is offline   Add to Zannillerine's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 06:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Yongjin is a jewel in the roughYongjin is a jewel in the rough

 
Posts: 5,108
Join Date: Dec 2004
Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 40 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

lol jazz ah.. welcome to the club...

dont need to think too much this car if u nt going to hv fun with it.... just dont do anything just go for ur servicing on time cna liao....

dont need to pop bonet n chk 1... this car will nv ever blow nt unless u hit a rock or something.... only ting u might wan to do is learn hw to chance tyres in case... bt den again u can always call for tow...

__________________
Yong Jin
Profile Updated
Yongjin is offline   Add to Yongjin's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 07:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Zannillerine is on a distinguished road

 
Zannillerine's Avatar
 
Posts: 530
Join Date: Feb 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Originally Posted by Yongjin View Post
lol jazz ah.. welcome to the club...

dont need to think too much this car if u nt going to hv fun with it.... just dont do anything just go for ur servicing on time cna liao....

dont need to pop bonet n chk 1... this car will nv ever blow nt unless u hit a rock or something.... only ting u might wan to do is learn hw to chance tyres in case... bt den again u can always call for tow...
Lolz ty I just wanted to know more so at least next time if anything happen I will understand the layman terms use

There was this day that I was driving and one fat guy on the motorbike rode past me on the front left side and suddenly there was a freaking huge loud bang and I have no idea what or where that bang could have came from. I checked my car upon reaching home and nothing seems amiss so till today I still have no idea what could have caused that bang

Btw why are u so confident about this car not blowing up? It might if you are a CNG user? My friend told me CNG car have those tanks behind that would explode upon collision or something

__________________

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel

Last edited by Zannillerine; 26th March 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Zannillerine is offline   Add to Zannillerine's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 07:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Yongjin is a jewel in the roughYongjin is a jewel in the rough

 
Posts: 5,108
Join Date: Dec 2004
Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 40 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

lolz... cos.... i redline for 30 laps in PG be4......if wan blow long blow liao..... somemore i remove the rev limiter....

nope i will nv drive a CNG car..... i on esso 8000 or shell vpower or platium 98 with techron only

so dont worry jazz wont blow.... unless u go turbo it tat diff story...

knowing more is definally gd... u can try howstuffworks.com

the loud bang cos he bang into others???? or cos u hard brake ur ABS activate?

__________________
Yong Jin
Profile Updated
Yongjin is offline   Add to Yongjin's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 08:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

 
typeX's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,300
Join Date: May 2008
Likes: 144
Liked 312 Times in 239 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Originally Posted by Zannillerine View Post
Hmmm so I guess I need to learn more tips n tricks in order not to be "carrotchop" yea I will take note of the oil change the next time I send it in. I know they left an empty bottle of shell Helix in my car after servicing.. I think it is to show me that is the bottle of engine oil being fill As I bought the car from Honda -Kah Motors direct so the guy actually told me to send it in to the own service centre as if I send it to other workshop and things been changed and stuff and if I want to claim my warranty it would be void. I better go read the whole terms and conditions again

Thanks for giving me a better insight to the different types of petrol available. At least now I know what it does to the car!

I better go read more and surf more sites to broaden my knowledge on automobiles!

Cheers
ah.. iCic, the bottle should indicate what grade and whether its mineral or synthetic. think it should be mineral for the run-in, but after you can change to synthetic.

Yup, normally agent will make it so you have no choice but to go back and taking advantage of it, they charge a high price. tsk tsk. guess its up to you ba~

cars are quite interesting, and the best way to understand would be to see it working with your own eyes i guess. anyway, jia you and have fun.. i'm also on my journey to learn more.


Originally Posted by Zannillerine View Post
Lolz ty I just wanted to know more so at least next time if anything happen I will understand the layman terms use

There was this day that I was driving and one fat guy on the motorbike rode past me on the front left side and suddenly there was a freaking huge loud bang and I have no idea what or where that bang could have came from. I checked my car upon reaching home and nothing seems amiss so till today I still have no idea what could have caused that bang

Btw why are u so confident about this car not blowing up? It might if you are a CNG user? My friend told me CNG car have those tanks behind that would explode upon collision or something
I guess it could be a heavy vehicles' tyre burst in the background? Those can be pretty loud and leave those chunks of rubber debri that we sometimes see along the expressway shoulder.

Or it could be the backfire (more correctly afterfire) of the bike's engine, those are loud and sound like a gun shot. common for bikes with carburetors having incorrect mixture settings.

don't worry, the car won't make that sorta sound. unless you have anti-lag or something. those sound like machine guns.

__________________
Big whirls have little whirls
that feed on their velocity;
And little whirls have lesser whirls
and so on to viscosity.

Last edited by typeX; 26th March 2009 at 08:07 PM.
typeX is offline   Add to typeX's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 08:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Zannillerine is on a distinguished road

 
Zannillerine's Avatar
 
Posts: 530
Join Date: Feb 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

Originally Posted by Yongjin View Post
lolz... cos.... i redline for 30 laps in PG be4......if wan blow long blow liao..... somemore i remove the rev limiter....

nope i will nv drive a CNG car..... i on esso 8000 or shell vpower or platium 98 with techron only

so dont worry jazz wont blow.... unless u go turbo it tat diff story...

knowing more is definally gd... u can try howstuffworks.com

the loud bang cos he bang into others???? or cos u hard brake ur ABS activate?

Duh u another reckless driver? I think you are one rich guy who can afford all those tips n tricks to your car.. My first car I wanna take care of it well and then slowly play with it.. lol Thanks for the link hope it has information worth reading ar!!

BTW the loud bang is not cos he bang into anything leh.. He still happily drive in front of me... faster then me some more and I never hard brake my abs didn't activate leh.. Nothing pop out in front of my face...

Maybe his tire BOOM or if we drive over some packet drink will it cause such a freaking loud bang?

Zannillerine added 7 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by typeX View Post
ah.. iCic, the bottle should indicate what grade and whether its mineral or synthetic. think it should be mineral for the run-in, but after you can change to synthetic.

Yup, normally agent will make it so you have no choice but to go back and taking advantage of it, they charge a high price. tsk tsk. guess its up to you ba~

cars are quite interesting, and the best way to understand would be to see it working with your own eyes i guess. anyway, jia you and have fun.. i'm also on my journey to learn more.
Yea glad to be able to get tips out from you. I didn't know which place to turn to or other automobile forums seems pretty dead so since I am a SGC poster I decided to try my luck and see if anyone can help me with my nub questions

Originally Posted by typeX View Post
I guess it could be a heavy vehicles' tyre burst in the background? Those can be pretty loud and leave those chunks of rubber debri that we sometimes see along the expressway shoulder.

Or it could be the backfire (more correctly afterfire) of the bike's engine, those are loud and sound like a gun shot. common for bikes with carburetors having incorrect mixture settings.

don't worry, the car won't make that sorta sound. unless you have anti-lag or something. those sound like machine guns.
Nope it wasn't other vehicles.. He was right beside my left car bonnet and a damn loud bang that freak me out that I almost lost control of my steering wheel.. Maybe it was the backfire like you said.. It was so loud and it was right beside my car.. I am very scared of motorcyclist riding past my car cos my sis recently got into a motorbike accident and I usually am very careful with bikes near my car.. That sound left a big question mark in my head but am glad I think I finally found a solution to this! Thanks

__________________

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel

Last edited by Zannillerine; 26th March 2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
Zannillerine is offline   Add to Zannillerine's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 08:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Yongjin is a jewel in the roughYongjin is a jewel in the rough

 
Posts: 5,108
Join Date: Dec 2004
Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 40 Posts
Gender:

Re: Need Tips & Advice for Maintaining my new Car

no no... i bery gd driver 1.... i keep 1 car length at least most of the time.... except jam....den den change lane n turn always gt signal de..... n i definally nt rich.... hahhaa mi poor poor

icic... keep alert on driving... nw adays rd wks everwhere... if nt alert... u gana rock or wat can be quite dangerous.....

__________________
Yong Jin
Profile Updated
Yongjin is offline   Add to Yongjin's Reputation Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
s> Lab Manual [for a+ guide to managing and maintaining your PC] 5th edition LuvRaistlins General Merchandise 1 2nd December 2008 08:37 AM
s> Lab Manual [for a+ guide to managing and maintaining your PC] 5th edition LuvRaistlins Bookworms 1 30th November 2008 06:24 PM
Maintaining law & order a balancing act for Home Team: Minister Wong Kan Seng Voodoo Vince International & Singapore News 6 11th August 2008 02:01 PM
Maintaining your clothes SkiLLet Fashion & Beauty 16 27th January 2008 08:14 PM
The secret of Maintaining Your complextion well without the use of lotion or make-up! Hanzo Hattori Fashion & Beauty 99 1st October 2007 10:25 AM

» Sponsors
Watch Free Movies Online
Celebrity Gossip
Food Delivery

» Facebook Fans
» What's Going On?
Title, Username, & Date
By militarily invading Hong Kong, Xi Jingping is setting in motion, the wheels of nuc
Deng XiaoPing original vision for HKG- China reunification was for the two to unite a
HSA warns against three products
Inspirational Songs
Warning : Blacklist buyer/adopter Alert
512GB Transcend 830S M.2 SSD Review
Poisonous PAPers.
The Magnificent Seven, The Unique, The Elite.
Trump says it's up to China to deal with Hong Kong 'riots'.
Salmon from Norway recalled due to bacteria: SFA
Online games sabotaged by Pigs And Pigs.
The mixture covenant practiced by confused Christians
Planet Earth
Tesco Finest Fruit Presse drinks recalled over potential health risk, possibility of...
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
Post anything random on this thread.
Fire at Bukit Batok flat: 1 victim in critical condition, 2 others taken to hospital
Man jailed 2 weeks for hitting elderly man and injuring woman with e-scooter on...
Simple basic video guide tomassaging your cat
Jail for e-scooter rider who struck one pedestrian on footbridge, then hit another as he...
Featured Photos
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by marisoljames322
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by pdsubbu
· · ·
Member Galleries
20359 photos
13619 comments
by Vikas Dhar
· · ·
Photography
35 photos
36 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaudreygan
· · ·
Girl Photos
4352 photos
28366 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by a8paris
· · ·
Guy Photos
1581 photos
946 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4352 photos
28366 comments
by aaricia
· · ·
Girl Photos
4352 photos
28366 comments

 

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2013 SGClub.com. All rights reserved.