Need Urgent Help...can't read chinese characters on my pc... - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Gadgets & Geeks > Computers & Electronics » Need Urgent Help...can't read chinese characters on my pc...

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2008, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
tiny is on a distinguished road

Need Urgent Help...can't read chinese characters on my pc...

Hi everyone,

I need urgent help on this problem...my pc is unable to read chinese characters...all the chinese characters are being displayed as ????? instead of some chinese characters. I need to install some chinese typing software, but i am unable to know the chinese characters for me to install as all are being displayed as ?????....I can read chinese characters from internet websites, but when i try to install the program i can't read the chinese characters...

Can anyone advise me on what to do to be able to read the chinese characters? I am currently using window XP. Do i need to do any configurations on my pc? What configuration do i need to do? Is there any software that i can download to be able to see the chinese characters on my pc?Thankz...

Old 28th July 2008, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
cisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to behold

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Need Urgent Help...can't read chinese characters on my pc...

Did you install the language pack from WinXP?

If you want lockerz.com account send email here

CCNA, CEH, CHFI, CWSP, MCTS
cisco is offline   Add to cisco's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
XiaoRenWu is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try go to your Control Panel > Regional and Language Options
Than switch to chinese (Taiwan) and restart your PC. If still can't than switch to
other chinese type and restart PC again.

Old 28th July 2008, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Originally Posted by cisco View Post
Did you install the language pack from WinXP?
my pc does not come with window XP pack, it is a acer dsktop and it come with a recovery disk. When i do recovery, the disk will automatically set all the things and install all the things needed....is there any softwares which i can download to be able to see the chinese characters? I can see the chinese characters on internet website but not on my pc itself...

Last edited by tiny; 28th July 2008 at 10:02 PM.
tiny is offline   Add to tiny's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
cisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to beholdcisco is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tiny View Post
my pc does not come with window XP pack, it is a acer dsktop and it come with a recovery disk. When i do recovery, the disk will automatically set all the things and install all the things needed....is there any softwares which i can download to be able to see the chinese characters? I can see the chinese characters on internet website but not on my pc itself...
Maybe you can try xiaorenwu method see whether it works?

Old 28th July 2008, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Originally Posted by cisco View Post
Maybe you can try xiaorenwu method see whether it works?
yup...i tried it just now...i use all the language options for chinese (Chniese Taiwan, Chinese Hong Kong, Chinese Macau, Chinese Singapore, Chinese PRC), but non of them works...sobz...

Don't know why, but for the software, when i go online, some of the words i can see, but when people over the net type out the message, i cannot see anything, i can only see ^%:"!^ this kind of language, but they are all chinese characters...not sure why i cannot see the chinese characters, but can only see alien language...

i think my pc have the XP language installed, cos when i try to type in chinese i can, but when i go online to play some mutliplayer chinese games...i can only see alien language when people over the net type...

is there any softwares that i can install to enable me to see the chinese characters when people type? thankz...

Old 28th July 2008, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Originally Posted by tiny View Post
yup...i tried it just now...i use all the language options for chinese (Chniese Taiwan, Chinese Hong Kong, Chinese Macau, Chinese Singapore, Chinese PRC), but non of them works...sobz...

Don't know why, but for the software, when i go online, some of the words i can see, but when people over the net type out the message, i cannot see anything, i can only see ^%:"!^ this kind of language, but they are all chinese characters...not sure why i cannot see the chinese characters, but can only see alien language...

i think my pc have the XP language installed, cos when i try to type in chinese i can, but when i go online to play some mutliplayer chinese games...i can only see alien language when people over the net type...

is there any softwares that i can install to enable me to see the chinese characters when people type? thankz...
If you are using IE you click on view -----> encoding choose more and select chinese simplified or chinese traditional see does it works for you?

Old 28th July 2008, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
septavenue is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could it be cos of your browser?
Set encoding to BIG5 or UT8 (if i'm not wrong). Last time I had this problem too.

septavenue is offline   Add to septavenue's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
dawgbyte will become famous soon enoughdawgbyte will become famous soon enoughdawgbyte will become famous soon enough

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Try to open "regional and language option", click the last tab (mine is administrative because im using vista, xp should have a different name) and you should see current language for non-unicode programs. This should be currently in english. Try to change this to chinese (assuming you already have chinese language installed). I set mine as chinese simplified PRC.

Those chinese you can see are unicode (or UTF-8). its standard for all PC. But old chinese are using big5 or some legacy language. Which might be your problem.

dawgbyte is offline   Add to dawgbyte's Reputation Reply With Quote