New to Forex ? Want to be a full time trader? Questions? - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Workplace and Business Forum » New to Forex ? Want to be a full time trader? Questions?

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2009, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
yellowDuck will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to Forex ? Want to be a full time trader? Questions?

I'm starting this thread for those who are curious about the world of forex. I try to answer ALL question regarding forex. U can ask about forex broker or forex seminar or anything. I'm not referring you to any broker to make any referral money. I'm here to help fellow Singaporean to better understand forex and hopefully prevent anyone from getting into a pitfall. I quit my day job last year end and started full time live trading since November last year. Hope I could be of help here. Shoot your questions.

Sponsors:

Last edited by yellowDuck; 21st February 2009 at 12:30 PM.
Add to yellowDuck's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
n8rm5n is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: New to Forex ? Want to be a full time trader? Questions?

Bro, u can start w a guide for us ? i attended a seminar by fx1 ppl before, but no money as capital.

n8rm5n is offline   Add to n8rm5n's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n8rm5n View Post
Bro, u can start w a guide for us ? i attended a seminar by fx1 ppl before, but no money as capital.
What kind of guide do u need ?

As for seminar, IMO, they will always start with the basic which u can find on the net. After that, they will most likely teach you their trading system. Unless u are new to forex and know nothing about forerx, do not waste time attending seminar. If u are not new to forex, most likely u already know what they gonna teach and u already got your own trading system, so going to seminar is just waste of time.

Seminar is for those newbie who doesn't know anything and need a trading system to start with. There are hundreds if not thousands of trading system out there that can make money. U just have to find a right one which suit your style. One simple example, if u have a day job and only have the time to trade during 7pm-11pm [EUR & US Session], u have to learn a trading system and currency pair that work best during this hours to give u max potential to earn money. If u are planing to trade full time, there is a wide range of trading system and currency pair to choose from.

Last edited by yellowDuck; 2nd March 2009 at 08:13 AM.
yellowDuck is offline   Add to yellowDuck's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
kirbykel is on a distinguished road

Well. Well. Well. Let's have some questions...

1) So what is Forex? How do people make money? Who else make money when you trade and how much do they earn per trader you do.

K.

Last edited by kirbykel; 2nd March 2009 at 06:34 PM.
kirbykel is offline   Add to kirbykel's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kirbykel View Post
Well. Well. Well. Let's have some questions...

1) So what is Forex? How do people make money? Who else make money when you trade and how much do they earn per trader you do.

K.
1a) So what is Forex?
Forex = foreign exchange market. It's where individual/business/bank exchange their country currency to another country currency in order to pay/buy the stuff they want. A very simple example is like when u buy something from ebay.com, u need to exchange SGD to USD and pay for the item. So at what rate do u exchange the money is based on the forex market.

1b) How do people make money?
Forex trader / investor make money by speculating where the price will go and you buy or sell accordingly. Let me use the ebay simple example. U saw a brand new PSP slim selling at only $50 USD and you believe that the market price is more than that. U buy the $50 PSP, later sell it at $80 to a friend and u make $30 becoz your speculation of the market price is right. In forex, u need to do anaylsis and speculate whether the exchange rate will go up or down. If USD to SGD exchange at the price of 1USD to 1.2500SGD to u think that it's way too low for USD to be exchanging at this rate ? Based on your anaylsis, you make a decision and take your trade. If you are right, you make money. I think i have not fully answer your question. Give u a trade example. USD/SGD went to 1.2500 today and you place a buy $100,000 position and u think that it will go 1.2600 [meaning u buy USD using SGD at the exchange rate of 1.2500]. The next day, the exchange rate of USD/SGD went to 1.2600 and u close ur position. So u earn the exchange rate of 0.0100. I'm just giving simple example, if u wish to know how much money u earn with the $100,000, u need to do some research. But it's basically 100 USD profit.

1c) Who else make money when you trade and how much do they earn per trader you do.

Your forex broker makes money from your trades. They earn the money through something call spread. Spread is basically the different between the buy and sell price of the currency pair. When u look at straits time newspaper, u will see that the buy and sell price is always different. The different is the money our bank earn from us exchanging the money.

All the above is just very general/simple answer to the question to help u understand.

Last edited by yellowDuck; 2nd March 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

So forex is basically speculation. What are the risks?

What are the types of analysis used?

K.

BTW. I am not exactly new to this. Just asking questions so that others can benefit.

Old 2nd March 2009, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So forex is basically speculation. What are the risks?

What are the types of analysis used?

K.

BTW. I am not exactly new to this. Just asking questions so that others can benefit.
The questions u asked can be found easily on the net. Maybe u should ask something that is not really be found easily.

1a) So forex is basically speculation. What are the risks?
Trading forex is speculation. The risk are your money and time.

1b) What are the types of analysis used?
Technical anaylsis [basically looking at chart and analyze]
Fundamental anaylsis [reading about the economy of the country]

Since u are not new, maybe u wanna share some of your experience in trading forex ?

Last edited by yellowDuck; 2nd March 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Originally Posted by yellowDuck View Post
The questions u asked can be found easily on the net. Maybe u should ask something that is not really be found easily.

1a) So forex is basically speculation. What are the risks?
Trading forex is speculation. The risk are your money and time.

1b) What are the types of analysis used?
Technical anaylsis [basically looking at chart and analyze]
Fundamental anaylsis [reading about the economy of the country]

Since u are not new, maybe u wanna share some of your experience in trading forex ?

Nah. I shared enough of the biz consultancy side. That's my main business. Forex... is for fun...

Have to start with something easy. I have to assume that most people here are not really that investment savvy, or for that matter, business savvy.

Well, if you want to make this a full blown forex investment guide, let's expand some more, shall we?

So list some more of the technical analysis. Candle stick? Idiot Wave Theory (heh, pun intended)? Fibonacci Analysis? Which do you use? Why?

K.

Old 2nd March 2009, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nah. I shared enough of the biz consultancy side. That's my main business. Forex... is for fun...

Have to start with something easy. I have to assume that most people here are not really that investment savvy, or for that matter, business savvy.

Well, if you want to make this a full blown forex investment guide, let's expand some more, shall we?

So list some more of the technical analysis. Candle stick? Idiot Wave Theory (heh, pun intended)? Fibonacci Analysis? Which do you use? Why?

K.
I know where u are going. This thread is more for newbie who want to start out but know very little or nothing and not a "trade your way to financial freedom guide" . It is also more for trading and not investing.

All technical analysis have their good and bad. I'm not gonna discuss into which technical analysis is the best or what not. U just have to read up and decide for yourself which one you understand better and which one u think it suitable for your trading strategy.

Last edited by yellowDuck; 2nd March 2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
n8rm5n is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi kirbykel & yellowduck, i attended a seminar before but of course didn't really understand the terms they used. There's so much to read online, i tried a demo but dunno wat to click, lol. Can share some source that really helps newbies like me ??

n8rm5n is offline   Add to n8rm5n's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 03:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
workingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to all

Liked 174 Times in 130 Posts

wikipedia its a good starting point i feel for any form of information.

Old 3rd March 2009, 07:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Originally Posted by yellowDuck View Post
I know where u are going. This thread is more for newbie who want to start out but know very little or nothing and not a "trade your way to financial freedom guide" . It is also more for trading and not investing.

All technical analysis have their good and bad. I'm not gonna discuss into which technical analysis is the best or what not. U just have to read up and decide for yourself which one you understand better and which one u think it suitable for your trading strategy.
Wiki is a good starting point, but most of the time, it is just that.

As for tech analysis, I haven't really come across anything that is good for beginners, which is why I thought it is a good thing to have people who knows to write something about it. And I thought I can throw a few question to get the ball rolling.

Well, so much for that.

K.

Old 3rd March 2009, 08:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n8rm5n View Post
Hi kirbykel & yellowduck, i attended a seminar before but of course didn't really understand the terms they used. There's so much to read online, i tried a demo but dunno wat to click, lol. Can share some source that really helps newbies like me ??
A very good website to learn all the basic u need to know babypips.com/school

Once u finish the free course there, I bet 90% of your question is answered. IMO for beginner, u need to know ALL the technical anaylsis available. Try not to pick and choose. Learn as much as u can. If seminar is free and u have the time, maybe u can give a visit but as i said earlier, seminar is just a waste of time. Take your time and learn from babypips.com/school. Set your own peace to understand.

yellowDuck added 2 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Wiki is a good starting point, but most of the time, it is just that.

As for tech analysis, I haven't really come across anything that is good for beginners, which is why I thought it is a good thing to have people who knows to write something about it. And I thought I can throw a few question to get the ball rolling.

Well, so much for that.

K.
There is tons of technical analysis tools available. For beginners, it's best to learn everything. Nothing to lose learning more if anyone really interested in starting out trading forex. I dont wanna write about each tool explanation is becoz it can be found on the net very easily.

Last edited by yellowDuck; 3rd March 2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Post Bumping
Old 6th March 2009, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
New SGClubber
8879899714 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi yellowDuck,

just found you post by chance while browsing the internet. ok, a little about my experience. i just started learning how to trade in jan. right now still in a demo account. thought of going live soon. but still have not decided which broker should i choose from? am currently using a platform from a broker in the states. have thoughts of going full time if my live account profit per day is greater than my full time job now.

so a few questions that i would like to ask you ... hope you don't mind.
1) as a full time trader yourself, are you making the profit? is it worthwhile?
2) are you using a local broker or a overseas broker?
3) about the money withdrawal part, is it really that troublesome?

sorry but i think those questions are more on the advanced side. just wanna hear the story of a real trader. thanks.

8879899714 is offline   Add to 8879899714's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 11:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8879899714 View Post
hi yellowDuck,

just found you post by chance while browsing the internet. ok, a little about my experience. i just started learning how to trade in jan. right now still in a demo account. thought of going live soon. but still have not decided which broker should i choose from? am currently using a platform from a broker in the states. have thoughts of going full time if my live account profit per day is greater than my full time job now.

so a few questions that i would like to ask you ... hope you don't mind.

sorry but i think those questions are more on the advanced side. just wanna hear the story of a real trader. thanks.
Good question.

There is up and down on my equity for the past few months. Overall, I'm making profit from my initial deposit. I almost blew up my account 3 times for the past few months, i guess I'm lucky to have positive result after all. Worthwhile or not depend on your mindset. As for me, my dream is to earn a lot of money in the shortest amount of time and forex is one of place where I could just make my dream come true. If i never try I will never know. Even if at the end I end up losing my account, I'm still glad that I tried this once in my life time and will move on to live the "normal" life of getting a day job.

IMO, there are a few requirements u need to consider before trading full time.

It's better that you reconsider trading full time forex if you have the following.

Age does play a role in deciding whether to trade full time or part time. Why ? Around the age of 30, most man will have a wife/child/house/car/bills and need to have money every month in order to meet their needs. Income from full time trading vary greatly. You will be stress up greatly if u cannot pay for your daily/monthly needs. Financial stress is one of the causes of people failed in trading forex. In another words, it's better than your family don't need any money from you to survive. IMO, the best time to trade full time is around the age of 18 - 26.

Your income trading forex depend on how much capital you have. Don't have a expectation of doubling your account every month [I have that expectation when I double/triple my live account every week in Nov 2008] becoz sooner of later you will blow up your account [which nearly happen to me 3 times]

Don't put in money u cannot afford to lose. Always have the mindset that u gonna LOSE ALL your equity when you fund your live account. If u cannot accept that fact, better not trade full time.

When I first start trading forex, I use local broker becoz withdrawal fee is minimum. After I found mt4 trading platform, I start to like it and I switch over to overseas broker becoz no SG broker offer mt4 platform. mt4 open my eyes to tons of possibility in trading forex. If I'm still using local broker, I bet I wouldn't have made so much money. I always have a feeling that "I'm limited" with local broker.

Nope. U need to fill in withdrawal form to withdraw money. That's all. I believe it's true with both local and overseas broker. The different is that local withdrawal is cheaper and faster. Overseas withdrawal usually cost around 50 USD [wire transfer].

yellowDuck added 17 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

have thoughts of going full time if my live account profit per day is greater than my full time job now.
The reason I left my day job to trade full time forex last year is becoz I don't like my boss and don't really have much interest in what I'm doing. My salary was not bad and was one of the highest paid among my peers. If u like your job, better not quit yet and try to trade around your job. Trading forex is very flexible, there is always strategy that will work for you, just need to find it.

The different between trading full time and part time is the amount of money you can make.

Last edited by yellowDuck; 7th March 2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
Old 7th March 2009, 10:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi, thanks for sharing your experience with me. Its very valueable. To me, forex is like a "shortcut" of making more money in life so i would just have to give it a try. Ya, read about MT4 platform but its only available for live users.

hey, sorry but i have to asked your a couple of questions. Hope you don't mind.

1) For what you earned, do you declare the income to the IRAS?
2) What leverage do you go for?

Just making sure of the questions before i start trading live in the coming month or so, Thanks and have a great weekend.

Old 7th March 2009, 12:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi, thanks for sharing your experience with me. Its very valueable. To me, forex is like a "shortcut" of making more money in life so i would just have to give it a try. Ya, read about MT4 platform but its only available for live users.

hey, sorry but i have to asked your a couple of questions. Hope you don't mind.

Just making sure of the questions before i start trading live in the coming month or so, Thanks and have a great weekend.
mt4 platform is available for demo and live for all overseas broker.

I wouldnt directly answer your question. Below is taken from IRAS.

1. Ministry of Finance -> Taxation -> Tax Treatment of Foreign Source Income
Any income arising from sources outside Singapore and received in Singapore on or after 1 Jan 2004 by an individual (other than partners of a partnership) is exempt from tax.

2. IRAS -> Individuals (For locals) -> Filling tax -> Know what is taxable, what is not
Generally, profits or losses derived from the buying and selling of shares or other financial instruments on your own account are viewed as personal investments.

Capital gains are not subject to tax. If you buy and sell shares or other financial instruments at a profit, the profit is not subject to tax..

When is it taxable

To determine whether an individual is trading, factors such as the frequency and volume of transactions, the interval between the purchase and sale, and the manner of financing the purchase of shares, will be taken into consideration.

The three circumstances factors above alone do not determine whether the gains are taxable.

Register for as much leverage as you can, but it doesnt mean you max out your leverage in every trade. I don't see anything wrong with getting max leverage. If u register too low leverage for your account, it means you need more equity to trade the same amount of lot size. Having low leverage also means you get margin out easily.

Last edited by yellowDuck; 7th March 2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 7th March 2009, 01:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi, thanks for the information and advice.
you just got me more prepared into trading live.
thanks.

Old 7th March 2009, 01:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi, thanks for the information and advice.
you just got me more prepared into trading live.
thanks.
One more point to add on from IRAS website.

Generally, overseas income received in Singapore on or after 1 Jan 2004 is not taxable. These include overseas income paid into a Singapore bank account.

You do not need to declare overseas income that is not taxable.

Last edited by yellowDuck; 7th March 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 7th March 2009, 01:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi, thanks again for the information. appreciated

Tags
foreign exchange, forex, trader, trading