Nike releases famed "Back to the Future" shoe - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Sports Forum » Nike releases famed "Back to the Future" shoe

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2011, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
one more year to go...
oldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to all

Liked 348 Times in 298 Posts
Nike releases famed "Back to the Future" shoe

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Nike is going back to the future.

The sneaker maker on Thursday said it has created a limited-edition shoe based on a glowing pair that appeared in the popular 1989 movie "Back to the Future II." The 2011 Nike Mag is designed to be an exact replica of the fictional sneaker, including a glowing Nike name on the strap. But unlike the movie version, these shoes won't lace themselves.

Nike will release 1,500 pairs of the 2011 Nike Mag sneaker for auction on eBay and donate all proceeds to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's disease research. Fox famously played Marty McFly in the "Back to the Future" time-travel trilogy, where he wore the shoes during a visit to the year 2015.

"It hasn't gone unnoted by us that there is something special about that shoe and, of course, the movie," said famed Nike shoe designer Tinker Hatfield, who helped design the original shoe and worked on the latest version.

Limited-edition shoes can draw as much, if not more mania, as a new movie or comic book release. Fans obsessively track the latest news and are willing to camp out all night or spending hundreds or more for a single pair online.

Nike's collector sneaker has been long awaited by shoe collectors and movie fans, who have been urging the company to make them ever since the movie was released. There were roughly eight or ten pairs used in the movie, some of which are in Nike's possession and a few that collectors somehow got their hands on.

Owning them, or even seeing a pair of them, has become a singular pursuit for some fans. There was even an online campaign a few years ago called "McFly 2015, Make it Happen" that gathered thousands of signatures to convince Nike to bring the McFly shoe back.

"This is the biggest thing that has happened to sneakers since Michael Jordan, hands down," said Matt Halfhill, an avid shoe collector who runs the website nicekicks.com and flew from Austin, Texas, to Los Angeles for the unveiling of the shoe on Thursday hours after Nike contacted him. "Other than the birth of one of my children, I wouldn't have missed this for anything."

Halfhill was among the revelers at Nike's 1980s-themed launch party Thursday in LA. A line stretched around the block for the invitation-only affair at Hollywood's Montalban theater, where tastemakers, sneaker freaks and Nike executives from around the world got a peek at the new collectible shoe. There was a DeLorean time machine parked outside, and inside, a wall of 210 of the light-up Nike Mag shoes (behind glass). A DJ spun '80s tunes before Hatfield took the stage to talk about the new shoe and officially open the eBay auction.

Nike Inc., based in Beaverton, Ore., decided more than four years ago to create the shoe, but was unsure when a pair would be ready. Unlike the shoes in the movie, the real-life versions had to be designed for day-to-day use. For instance, the design used in the movie required Fox to wear a battery pack with wires running down his pants to light the shoe, which was the best technology available at the time.

Hatfield said the Nike Mag has been difficult to develop and the electrical systems, which illuminate the shoe for up to five hours, have been one of the most challenging things the company has ever done in footwear. But the timing seemed perfect to bring the shoe back to support a bigger idea.

That Nike is releasing the shoe in 2011 enables it to take advantage of a matching grant for the foundation. Google founder Sergey Brin and his wife Anne Wojcicki have offered to match all donations to the Michael J. Fox Foundation up to $50 million through the end of 2012.

"The project is exciting to me because it brings together three very passionate audiences: the Parkinson's community, sneakerheads and 'Back to the Future' fans," Fox said in a statement. "With their support we can accelerate our objective of finding a cure for Parkinson's."8

Nike also has created a faux "lost scene" from the film to promote the shoe that includes original cast members Christopher Lloyd and Donald Fullilove, who will be joined by basketball star Kevin Durant and Nike's Hatfield.

The auction begins Thursday and will end Sept. 18.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/nike-releas...195706567.html

Sponsors:

Last edited by oldvirgin; 11th September 2011 at 01:27 PM.
Add to oldvirgin's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
xersion has a spectacular aura about

Liked 39 Times in 38 Posts

Nice.. What's the price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11th September 2011, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
one more year to go...
oldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to all

Re: Nike releases famed "Back to the Future" shoe

Originally Posted by xersion View Post
Nice.. What's the price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nike has put the Back to the Future, Part II inspired Nike MAG shoes up for auction on eBay. If you still want one, you have until the end of today to place a bid.

As of now, the shoes are going anywhere from $2,400 to $4,000 on eBay and are available in sizes seven to 13.

While initially going anonymous, British rapper Tinie Tempah revealed to TMZ that he was the man who bought the first pair at a special auction on Thursday. He dropped $37,000 on the pair, saying that he is a huge fan of the Back to the Future films. He the shoes, "were an all-around great purchase that will go on to help [The Michael J. Fox Foundation]...I feel fortunate to be able to help."

According to People, all proceeds will go to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinsonís disease research.

Fox, who played Marty in the films, appeared on The Late Show with David Letterman to promote the shoes

Old 11th September 2011, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท
Peuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud of

Liked 112 Times in 86 Posts

Its look cool and the pricing is definitely out for a number of people.

Old 11th September 2011, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
one more year to go...

Originally Posted by Peuan Sanit View Post
Its look cool and the pricing is definitely out for a number of people.
yeah its more of a collector item esp for fans of the movies. I love the series when I was a kid

Old 11th September 2011, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท
Peuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud of

Liked 112 Times in 86 Posts

Originally Posted by oldvirgin View Post
yeah its more of a collector item esp for fans of the movies. I love the series when I was a kid
If I am like super rich, I wouldnt mind buying a pair beside the money is for a good cause.

I also enjoyed the series.

80's music and movies were the best in my opinion

Old 12th September 2011, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
workingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to all

Liked 174 Times in 130 Posts

the future has arrived!
Posted via Mobile Device

workingtoohard is offline   Add to workingtoohard's Reputation Reply With Quote