No more multiple visa to China - for time being - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Travel Talk > China » No more multiple visa to China - for time being

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2008, 07:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
No more multiple visa to China - for time being

No more multiple visa to China - for time being
From July 1, Singaporeans will also need a valid visa to enter China.
By Judith Tan & Amelia Tan

SINGAPOREANS planning to visit China multiple times within a short period will have to hold off their trips for a while.

The Chinese government has stopped issuing multiple-entry visas to foreigners since end March.

And although Singaporeans can still visit China for up to 14 days without a visa for business, holidays, visiting relatives and friends or transit, this may all change.

From July 1, Singaporeans will need a valid visa to enter China - but this requirement is only temporary, according to the China Embassy website on visa information.

Travel agencies said the Chinese Embassy in Singapore have sent letters to them stating that multiple-entry visas will cease until further notice.

While no reason was given, they believe the move was due to the upcoming Beijing Olympics, and the prevailing unrest in Tibet.

But single-entry and double-entry visas are still available.

Some agencies have reported cancellation of planned holidays to China or travellers changing their trips to other destinations.

Ms Ruth Lim, manager of marketing and communications at SA Tours, told The Straits Times the fallout is between 5 and 10 per cent.

Travel agents say the restricted multiple entries into China may not affect holiday-makers, but it might have an impact on people travelling in and out of the country regularly on business.

Multinational corporations said the new move will not affect their operations in China as their executives are usually stationed there on long-term postings, with work permits lasting up to a year.

Work permits are not affected by the latest change.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2...7.html?vgnmr=1

Sponsors:
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 07:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Ray Ang is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No more multiple visa to China - for time being

it is okay

Old 19th April 2008, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
wsh79 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oh...i hope its not a permanent thing...

Old 19th April 2008, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
shypineapple is a jewel in the roughshypineapple is a jewel in the rough

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

doesn't matter, don't even wanna go there.

I dream about you when I sleep.
shypineapple is offline   Add to shypineapple's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
PinkLady has a spectacular aura about

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

haha nvm lor

PinkLady is offline   Add to PinkLady's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
wildswans is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not much impact lah

wildswans is offline   Add to wildswans's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
New SGClubber
skippydooer is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i only go there for business trips so luckily

skippydooer is offline   Add to skippydooer's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 06:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts

MFA confirms new China visa rules for S'poreans from July 1

THE Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Monday confirmed that China has temporarily suspended the visa-free facility for Singaporeans who plan to travel to the country for 15 days or less, from July 1.

This means that Singapore ordinary passport holders will require a visa for entry into China for short stays of under two weeks, which is not necessary since 2003.

An MFA spokesman said the ministry was informed of the new requirement on Monday.

'We have been given the assurance that the visa requirement is a temporary measure. The visa-free facility for travels of 15 days or less would be reinstated after the Beijing Olympics,' added the spokesman.

'The Chinese authorities have not informed us of the exact date when the visa-free facility will be reinstated.'

The new visa ruling followed a recent announcement from China that it has stopped issuing multiple-entry tourist visas until after the Olympic Games.

These new steps are said to be in line with growing security concerns over the August Beijing Olympics and the unrest in Tibet.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2...7.html?vgnmr=1

*StarDust* is offline   Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Voodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to behold

Liked 222 Times in 196 Posts

Don't go there, see if they suffer or not.

*Have fun on SGClub but pls READ the RULES, Report Bad Posts and Give Reputation to Good Ones!*
Voodoo Vince is offline   Add to Voodoo Vince's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
wsh79 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

actually china quite smart in a way...they are making more $$ this way

Old 29th April 2008, 06:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
CaRe is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

More visa application, more money.

CaRe is offline   Add to CaRe's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 02:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Voodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to behold

Liked 222 Times in 196 Posts
Australia warns China over visa restrictions

Australia warns China over visa restrictions

HONG KONG - CHINA should be aware of the difficulties new visa restrictions could cause for businesses ahead of the Olympics, Australia's foreign minister said on Tuesday.

'It is important that the Chinese authorities understand the potential practical, on-the-ground difficulties that this is causing,' Stephen Smith told reporters in Hong Kong.

Australia is seeking clarification from Chinese authorities in Beijing and Hong Kong about the new restrictions, which travel agents across Asia have said has seen China stop issuing multiple-entry visas.

China has insisted multiple-entry visas are available but said in a statement that officials would 'consider the real need of the applicant' when granting one.

Business travellers and tourists must also provide hotel receipts and travel tickets before any visa will be issued, travel agents have said.

Mr Smith said he understood why China was making the apparent changes, but it must be aware of the pitfalls.

'Australia has had recently an Olympics as well with the Sydney Olympics, so we understand the general public policy motivation,' he said.

'We do want to make sure that there are no long-term adverse repercussions for trade and business and industry exchange between Hong Kong and China, and between other nation states and China,' he added.

China stopped issuing multiple-entry visas around the start of April and will not resume issuing them until October, after the August Olympics, travel agents in several Asian countries have said.

Visitors from 33 countries - including India, the Philippines and Indonesia - are also no longer allowed to apply for China visas in Hong Kong and have to apply at their local Chinese embassies, two Hong Kong agents said.

The move has sparked concern among business leaders here, who said it could damage investment in China. Hong Kong has maintained separate legal and visa systems despite being returned to China by colonial power Britain in 1997.

Many businesses use Hong Kong as a base for their operations in mainland China and regularly hop over the border to monitor factories or shipments. -- AFP

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2...ry_234574.html

*Have fun on SGClub but pls READ the RULES, Report Bad Posts and Give Reputation to Good Ones!*
Voodoo Vince is offline   Add to Voodoo Vince's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 08:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
New SGClubber
KL Lee is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just had a bad experience at the China embassy.

I went on 5th May with my parents to apply their visa and guess what, I got slapped on my hand rudely and when I uttered 'shit' in shock, the counter staff refused to process the visa and we were told to go away. I spoke to their official in-charge and he said no choice I can't have the visa process cos I was rude. Ok so I decided no point arguing and we left.

Went back 6th May to re-apply and another counter staff take one look at the application and whispered among themselves and pass me to another counter staff and told me unless I apologise, I won't have the visa processed. I said the person who should apologise is the staff cos she slapped me first but they have all collabrated to make things difficult. I told them I want a witness cos I am sure even after I apologise I may not get the visa processed still. The staff actually said it is not up to me to bargain. Pissed off, I approached the same official and related the whole thing to him. After he checked with the counter staff, he came back and told me the staff said I insulted him..... After much explaining and exchange of words then I managed to get the application done. Only can collect today and I really don't know if it is gonna be smooth. Really feel like going to the press but don't think much can be done since it is the embassy. Take it as I stepped on shit to console myself. Now I know why the travel agency want to charge me $100 each passport to process visa - to take the nosence.

KL Lee is offline   Add to KL Lee's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 08:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
guantanamera is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ooo i go once a year only so np for me