Of Olympic medals and Foreign Talents - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Sports Forum » Of Olympic medals and Foreign Talents

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2008, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
xiao pi gu is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of Olympic medals and Foreign Talents

Is the fact that there are so many sports foreign talents in Singapore a slap on our faces to remind us that we are incompetent in sports? Do our incompetencies stem from the fact that all our lives, we are brought up in a culture that emphsizes studies and taking degrees and earning money instead of working towards sporting excellence?

How many previous athletes stuck to their beliefs, embraced sports and end up living from hands to mouths only to find that huge amount of money is now being pumped into hiring foreign athletes and rewarding them handsomely for achievements, or the lack achievements. The table-tennis girls being the exception as they brought home a medal, a silver medal nontheless. But despite cheering anxiously in front of the TV screen, how many people can overlook the fact that the 48 yrs of medal-less streak is broken by a team that only until recently, attained Singapore citizenship.

Ang Peng Siong may have never earned an Olympic medal, but how many people are proud to count him as a fellow citizen for his sporting contributions. Tan Howe Liang is a national hero because he won a medal, or because he is a true blue Singaporean that won a medal. Of course he too was born in China, but his reason for emigrating to Singapore was definitely not so that he could represent Singapore for weight lifting.

While we all rejoice in the heat of winning the precious sliver and show our heart felt gratitude to the foreign imports for their contributions, questions still have to be pondered over. Isn't it what they are suppose to do for their part of the deal?

Lets hope that this is the opening to more medals in future, and hopefully more locals can put their heads up and say that i am born and bred in Singapore and i am an Olympic medallist. Well Done Team Singapore

Sponsors:

Last edited by xiao pi gu; 18th August 2008 at 10:31 PM.
Add to xiao pi gu's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
rocksteady is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Of Olympic medals and Foreign Talents

Good post. Just that a lot of 'traditional' Chinese people here think that study hard, get a safe job is the way to .... (I don't know where - frustration, perhaps).

It has ALWAYS been those that aim the highest and fly the furthest achieved the most.

Look at Fandi. Does he have to work 9-5? Look as Ashley Isham, a designer now on the international stage.

Not to mention Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Michael Jackson, even Tony Hawk (skateboarding) etc.. and any other famous person, sports or otherwise.

It is only when you discard all backdoors and escape routes, choose one passion and go 300% that you end up being one of the best.

Singaporeans... too scared of 'what if'? What if don't make it? What if? Etc.

They will never make it big, because they always keep their backdoors open. Only the do-or-die people can be up there with the champions. The rest.. just have to content with being.. the rest.

And Singapore.. is FULL of this kinds of people. They look for safety. Not freedom. Not passion.

The result? They live a quiet, normal life. Die a quiet, normal death (sometimes with a lot of frustration and anguish at lost opportunities that they never dared pursue when they had the chance to). When they die... it's almost as if they never lived. Only a few people and their family remembers them, if ever.

Fade..... .

rocksteady is offline   Add to rocksteady's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
yukio is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea when I watched the table tennis finals, I was like this is as good as China vs China just that one side is representing Singapore. I had never seen a real borned in Singapore person winning anything, if there is do let me know as I seldom watch the olympics.

And in Singapore, I doubt that alot of people will follow their interest and passion. They will think that as an athlete, I might not even win a medal and when i'm old I might not be able to feed myself.

I believe that if one true Singaporean start to win a medal some of the people who don't dare to follow their passion might be influence by them and start to take a step out.

Last edited by yukio; 19th August 2008 at 11:19 AM.
yukio is offline   Add to yukio's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Siong2 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Compare our population to others, think it's very very very hard to have a pure Singaporean to produce 1 real world champion de...

Siong2 is offline   Add to Siong2's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
rmagnus is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL keep dreaming, with parents pushing the kids to study 24/7 you really think that Singaporeans will make it in the sporting world? Good job on getting the silver, to the fools that think its china vs china i am sure you did not care about the match so why bother to comment. It was Singapore Vs China and although we did not win they did put up a very good showing and really deserve their silver.

rmagnus is offline   Add to rmagnus's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
LOL keep dreaming, with parents pushing the kids to study 24/7 you really think that Singaporeans will make it in the sporting world? Good job on getting the silver, to the fools that think its china vs china i am sure you did not care about the match so why bother to comment. It was Singapore Vs China and although we did not win they did put up a very good showing and really deserve their silver.
You are right in saying that it is Singapore vs China, given the fact that they are indeed Singaporean, but is there a concern of how Singaporean are they, given that Feng Tian wei only receive her citizenship this yr... just in time for the olympic

xiao pi gu is offline   Add to xiao pi gu's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
Originally Posted by xiao pi gu View Post
You are right in saying that it is Singapore vs China, given the fact that they are indeed Singaporean, but is there a concern of how Singaporean are they, given that Feng Tian wei only receive her citizenship this yr... just in time for the olympic
I am saying about the Feng Tian Wei who got her citizenship just in time for the Olympic as least you know.

And I did also said that to me it's like China vs China and of cause I know that it's Singapore vs China.

Old 19th August 2008, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Siong2 View Post
Compare our population to others, think it's very very very hard to have a pure Singaporean to produce 1 real world champion de...
Population is of cause an important factor however, attitude is more important. armenia has got 5 medals and her population is rather small too

Old 19th August 2008, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
ggsthy is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting!!!

Its amazing that when Singapore win something through foreign talent, someone will say that they are "imported" Singaporeans.

But when they did not win anything, people start saying they are not good enough.

Yet nobody say that Podolski or Klose or Kuranyi are foreign talent when they play soccer for Germany in EURO2008.
Germany is such a big country, yet they have "imported" Germans playing.
So what is wrong with having foreign talents in our small country???

Hmmm.....

Last edited by ggsthy; 19th August 2008 at 07:32 PM.
ggsthy is offline   Add to ggsthy's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท
Peuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud of

Liked 112 Times in 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ggsthy View Post
Interesting!!!

Its amazing that when Singapore win something through foreign talent, someone will say that they are "imported" Singaporeans.

But when they did not win anything, people start saying they are not good enough.

Yet nobody say that Podolski or Klose or Kuranyiare foreign talent when they play for Germany.

Hmmm.....
The fact is that Podolski & Klose were offsprings of immigrants and under the UEFA rule, these players can choose to represent their forefather's country or thier current country if they wish to! They were brought to Germany not to groom them to play football but they came because of their parents.

We however, "talent spotted" with the aim of grooming them.....there is a different.

If the offspring of let's say Li Jiawei, grows up to be a future star of SG in any sports, I think we will be more proud of him/her as he/she will be make in SG!

We are of cos proud of the achievement of our Table Tennis team but a fact remains a fact is that it was more of a China vs China final as all the players and even the coaches involved were originally make in China.

Old 19th August 2008, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
joey_vodka is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it indeed looks like 'china vs china'. As all 3 girls(sgp team) are from china. nonetheless, they did their best and it sure feels good to see Singapore flag up there.

yet, i cant really feel a sense of pride .
they represented sgp cos they are paid to do so. Silver medal $750k, gold medal $1.5million. They were talent spotted n came over to sgp to be groomed. Their sole existence in sgp is to perform well in table tennis n bring back a medal for singapore.

it would be nice to see a true blue singaporean winning. =)

p.s on a different note, netizens have been flaming li jaiwei for letting the sgp flag drag on the floor during the opening ceromeny. Does Li Jiawei feel as proud of sgp as we do ?

Old 19th August 2008, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
enirtep will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

opinion: we are ecstatic of the performance of team singapore and am extremely proud of them
fact: they were born in china, brought to singapore and groomed in singapore. that is why, they represent singapore

personally, im a bit neutral. if they had won, a fact. if they were really good, a fact. there if someone says that theyre lousy because they arent singaporeans then its not really fair. whether you are good or not depends largely on your performance, not nationality.

however, if ppl were to say they dont feel proud because theyre not born locally then i think its ok. its akin to paying someone to do the exams for you. so what if youve topped the entire nation?.. wheres the pride? although it is true that many countries are also important foreign talents.. does that mean when more ppl start paying money to get someone elses to do the exams for them, you follow likewise?.. not

yes they have won! we are happy and we are proud of them! we are proud to see the flag being raised! fengtianwei, lijiawei, wangyuegu are strong opponents and are being recognised globally. that aside, the fact still remains that they are not truly born in singapore and instead were "imported". not that im saying it is a crime to be an un-true blue singapore.. but.. you cant stop opinions for differing since everybody shares a different point of views. should one day comes when everyone starts having the same opinions, then many forums i reckon would have to close down since the whole chalk of posts itemise the same thing and that theres nothing more to be discussed. so.. take it as a discussion. if you cant get yourself to agree, then the least you can do is to agree to disagree.

lastly, it is not really the case whereby ppl dont want to pursue sports as their goal. even in school, if you are strong in your cca but at the same time teachers discover that youre neglecting your studies, similarly youll be kicked out of the school team. they dont care whether youre strong or inordinately strong. sports second studies first. unless you can shuffle between studies and sports.. then youre entitled to think of sports as your future.

Last edited by enirtep; 19th August 2008 at 08:17 PM.
enirtep is offline   Add to enirtep's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 08:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joey_vodka View Post
it indeed looks like 'china vs china'. As all 3 girls(sgp team) are from china. nonetheless, they did their best and it sure feels good to see Singapore flag up there.

yet, i cant really feel a sense of pride .
they represented sgp cos they are paid to do so. Silver medal $750k, gold medal $1.5million. They were talent spotted n came over to sgp to be groomed. Their sole existence in sgp is to perform well in table tennis n bring back a medal for singapore.

it would be nice to see a true blue singaporean winning. =)

p.s on a different note, netizens have been flaming li jaiwei for letting the sgp flag drag on the floor during the opening ceromeny. Does Li Jiawei feel as proud of sgp as we do ?
agree on the last sentence..

Old 20th August 2008, 03:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
rocksteady is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yukio View Post
agree on the last sentence..
If she not proud, she PLEAD with the commission to let her bear the flag for what? come on leh... you people don't really 'give chance'.

doubtful, suspicious and cynical about everything sial.

rocksteady is offline   Add to rocksteady's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 10:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggsthy View Post
Interesting!!!

Yet nobody say that Podolski or Klose or Kuranyi are foreign talent when they play soccer for Germany in EURO2008.

Hmmm.....
Not true...whether they win or lose, people will still say they are 'imported Singaporeans'
And also, the quoting of Germany's situation is irrelevant in this issue. because, it really isnt abt having foreign talents in a big or small country. Its about having foreign talents period.

Old 20th August 2008, 11:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
If she not proud, she PLEAD with the commission to let her bear the flag for what? come on leh... you people don't really 'give chance'.

doubtful, suspicious and cynical about everything sial.
its not really abt being cynical. picture this... you grew up in a country with many talents and hence little chances... then a really rich country offers u a citizenship, one which is not really easy to get.. we have people from malaysia staying here for nearly their whole life until NS, then they get their citizenship NS takes up 2 yrs of ur life and you are exposed to certain risks as oposed to being a citizen just by playing a sports that you are pretty good at and probably enjoy.. on top of it, you are rewarded handsomely.. Will national pride still be a concern?

Old 21st August 2008, 12:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
ScryonX is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xiao pi gu View Post
Is the fact that there are so many sports foreign talents in Singapore a slap on our faces to remind us that we are incompetent in sports? Do our incompetencies stem from the fact that all our lives, we are brought up in a culture that emphsizes studies and taking degrees and earning money instead of working towards sporting excellence?

How many previous athletes stuck to their beliefs, embraced sports and end up living from hands to mouths only to find that huge amount of money is now being pumped into hiring foreign athletes and rewarding them handsomely for achievements, or the lack achievements. The table-tennis girls being the exception as they brought home a medal, a silver medal nontheless. But despite cheering anxiously in front of the TV screen, how many people can overlook the fact that the 48 yrs of medal-less streak is broken by a team that only until recently, attained Singapore citizenship.

Ang Peng Siong may have never earned an Olympic medal, but how many people are proud to count him as a fellow citizen for his sporting contributions. Tan Howe Liang is a national hero because he won a medal, or because he is a true blue Singaporean that won a medal. Of course he too was born in China, but his reason for emigrating to Singapore was definitely not so that he could represent Singapore for weight lifting.

While we all rejoice in the heat of winning the precious sliver and show our heart felt gratitude to the foreign imports for their contributions, questions still have to be pondered over. Isn't it what they are suppose to do for their part of the deal?

Lets hope that this is the opening to more medals in future, and hopefully more locals can put their heads up and say that i am born and bred in Singapore and i am an Olympic medallist. Well Done Team Singapore
Bolded and underlined the perhaps one of the contributing factors on why we need foreign talents.

However, upon further questioning/inquiry/racking of brains, one might ponder - if the Singapore government is willing to spend such a huge amount of money on bringing in foreign imports and training them to be "top-notch" athletes or sportsmen, why the heck can't they be doing so for the true blue Singaporeans who are actually born in this little red dot?

Little red dot. I've said it. As the smallest country in the world, and our best resource being people... Go figure.