I once had a car, and the beast owned me - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Automobile Forum » I once had a car, and the beast owned me

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2013, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
I once had a car, and the beast owned me

I once had a car, and the beast owned me

John Lui | The Straits Times | Tuesday, Mar 5, 2013

I once had a car, which I owned for 10 years. Or rather, it worked as a car for five of those years. For the other five, it was more like a car-shaped lump.

It sat in the carpark, forlornly collecting bird poop because of a leaky radiator, or in a workshop, because the air-conditioning unit kept flipping to a mysterious mode I called “Korean rotisserie”.

I had to explain to passengers why, despite interior temperatures high enough to melt tooth fillings, the windows could not be rolled down, because the window motors were also broken. At traffic stops, the driver in the car behind mine would see my passengers open the doors, stick their heads out, and pant like dogs.

No matter what was repaired, by the following week, another hose would disintegrate, another bit would unscrew itself and plop off, probably out of shame. It was as if the car wanted to get away from me, piece by piece.

I didn’t put it on the market because I feared there might be a law against selling a vehicle that was slowly exploding from inside out. Also, because of my enormous loan, selling it would put me in a “negative equity situation”, as experts call it. What I would get for it in a sale would not even begin to cover what I still owed the bank. That heap owned me.

To make my joy utterly complete, the loan was fully paid off only in the final months of ownership. It was then that I had had enough. My self-disassembling car would have to go to a dealer. The certificate of entitlement (COE), held by the bank, was sent to me after the final payment cleared. I held that paper in my quivering hands for the second time in my life, just weeks before the date on it would run out.

The first time I touched it was 10 years earlier, at the dealership, as my pen hovered over the loan contract. The salesman snatched the COE away before the ink was even dry. I heard a cackle, there was a cloud of sulphur and then he, with all the papers, was gone.

The experience of ownership has scared me off buying a car, I hope, for the rest of my life. It was living with a real-life PowerPoint presentation of why owning four wheels in Singapore is on a par with sleeping on railroad tracks as one of the least constructive things a person can do. It is like moving around with a giant “Kick Me” sign in glass and steel.

With interest, I had given the bank twice the car’s original price. In other words, I had opted for the world’s worst mode of transport (outside of, say, shoes made of cactus), when I could have saved up for a more decent vehicle later.

Or just not bought one at all.

Last week saw the latest in moves by the Government to put a lid on the number of vehicles on the roads. To sum up, the higher the car’s naked street value is, the greater the Additional Registration Fee. Previously, everyone paid the same percentage. The maximum loan repayment period has been halved, from 10 to five years, and buyers can borrow only up to 60 per cent of a vehicle’s purchase price, when in the past they could drive away with a loan for the full amount.

For many, the car they have today may be the last one they ever own.

I’ve learnt from my brush with the pleasures of car ownership (and one court appearance for ignoring parking fines) that when the law is trying to discourage you from doing something, it’s best not to struggle. It only prolongs the suffering.

That said, I think that the campaign message of Stop At Zero for the number of cars a person should have could be made a little stronger. It could take the form of public service announcements, for example, television commercials.

Right now, the car dealers pump out alluring dramatisations, all with images of clever, handsome men looking cool behind the wheel, undoing the work of legions of hard-working bureaucrats. There should be an opposing voice.

I see a male driver, tearing out his hair, stuck in traffic, holding his bank car loan statement, while a voice-over says: “Hey, at least you got the model with the turbo. Look at how fast you’re not going anywhere!”

Cigarette packets have grisly photographs; car showrooms should have demotivational posters.

There could be short educational plays for children in school. I call this one Why Is Mummy Angry?:

Why is Mummy angry? Because she waited a long time for that parking spot. Then a bad man cut in and took it. Oh no! Mummy just used a bad word.

Conversely, using public transport could be portrayed as really sexy, an act performed by manly men and thin women with expensive handbags. On second thoughts, forget it. Not even Steven Spielberg could make that concept fly.

If a person thinks that she absolutely needs a car, and can afford one, or two, or three vehicles the size of cruise liners, more power to her. She should spend her millions the way she wants.

The rest of us will applaud the small things in life, such as the just-announced plan to put more handrails on trains and do away with the obstructive grab poles at the doorway.

May I suggest another improvement? Move bus exit doors to the rear. Where they are now, in the middle, is exactly right for causing three-way collisions between people coming into the bus, those exiting and those descending from the upper deck. I could not think of a better place if my goal was to give a bus complete constipation of movement.

I’ll admit that for a few moments over that decade, it felt good to be in that club of owners. Even if membership requires that one be in complete denial of reality.

Still, each time I run into that knot of humans trapped in a bus aisle because no one will give way, or try to fold myself in half to fit into a train carriage already fit to burst, and wish I were the master of my own four-wheel domain, I remember the times when that beast made me its slave.

The despair goes away quickly.

Source: http://ride.asiaone.com/features/opi...beast-owned-me

Sponsors:
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
vios21 is just really nicevios21 is just really nice

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Re: I once had a car, and the beast owned me

This write is juvenile.

He bought a korean car.....and 10yrs ago the build quality wasnt good honesty.

That's why japanese car command a better premium.

Not knowing what he bought and lamenting it over such an article is ridiculous IMO.

Try dumping your car for 5yrs without touching it....of cox things will spoil, same as your shoes.

Geez.

vios21 is offline   Add to vios21's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

Liked 312 Times in 239 Posts

I once took the MRT, and I couldn't even get into the carriage.
I once waited for the bus, and it never came. Then 3 came together and they were full.
I once waited for a cab, and there are no cabs when you need them.
I once cycled on the road, and nearly got killed.

how? walk or stay at home loh.

and so on to viscosity.
typeX is offline   Add to typeX's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Originally Posted by typeX View Post
I once waited for the bus, and it never came. Then 3 came together and they were full.

Lol ....bro still overseas?

Old 27th March 2013, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by vios21 View Post
Lol ....bro still overseas?
Yups.. was in sg to work for awhile in 2011, then now back to studies again.

and so on to viscosity.
Old 28th March 2013, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Yups.. was in sg to work for awhile in 2011, then now back to studies again.
Doing your phd?

What's your ride now?

Am doing a FD2R.

Wanted to change to some family AT recently but the new regulation kicked in

Old 29th March 2013, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
logging off

Originally Posted by vios21 View Post
Doing your phd?

What's your ride now?

Am doing a FD2R.

Wanted to change to some family AT recently but the new regulation kicked in
lol.. nahs, just a masters.

am currently on a NB8B mx5, but going to sell her soon for something more practical and able to tow. Though she's fun on the twisties, overall it's getting boring.
I've been hit by the bike bug since last yr and been going to the track every other month.. if can sell the mx5, i'll get a track bike with the spare cash. too much pressure in not crashing a street bike.

what's AT?.. weren't you driving a conti car? lol..

Yeah the new regulation.. my family's corolla was due to be scrapped soon, wanted to change car but think my parents will just extend the COE for 5 more years instead.

and so on to viscosity.

Last edited by typeX; 29th March 2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 29th March 2013, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
scheng1 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 48 Times in 46 Posts

Tell that to the government lor. They got big cars, got chauffeurs, and then tell us not to complain.

Old 1st April 2013, 08:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

lol.. nahs, just a masters.

am currently on a NB8B mx5, but going to sell her soon for something more practical and able to tow. Though she's fun on the twisties, overall it's getting boring.
I've been hit by the bike bug since last yr and been going to the track every other month.. if can sell the mx5, i'll get a track bike with the spare cash. too much pressure in not crashing a street bike.

what's AT?.. weren't you driving a conti car? lol..

Yeah the new regulation.. my family's corolla was due to be scrapped soon, wanted to change car but think my parents will just extend the COE for 5 more years instead.
Yes was driving a convertabile but i blew the twin scroll turbo twice (agent said cannot wack too hard but i'm like it's a sports car category right? So..... ) plus air sensor died on me twice so i had my bad taste of conti, hence switch to jap.

AT = auto transmission

You're into biking? Be careful mate....thou it's still safer to ride overseas then in SG.

Car price is exhorbant now......perhaps will swap car with my brother in-law.

He's doing a FD2 and wants my FD2R but both cars manual hahahaha