Parents, will you teach your children to speak in dialects next time? - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Love & Relationships > Family Matters » Parents, will you teach your children to speak in dialects next time?

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2010, 04:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Mel Lee is a jewel in the roughMel Lee is a jewel in the rough

Liked 44 Times in 40 Posts
Parents, will you teach your children to speak in dialects next time?

Parents, will you teach your children to speak in dialects next time?

Some people don't even talk to their children in their own mother tongues anymore.

Everyone wants to be 'ang moh pai'. Jialat. I can predict that there will be more and more SPGs next time.

I will definitely teach my children Chinese and make them learn Hokkien, and those vugular words too!

Sponsors:
Add to Mel Lee's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 04:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Emosan
Emolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to behold

Liked 154 Times in 109 Posts
Re: Parents, will you teach your children to speak in dialects next time?

Probably you can change your title to : Will you teach future generation to speak in dialects?
Not many of us are so blissful to have children yet =x

Anyway, yes! I will~ It does them more benefit than harm i believe less those bad word of course

Last edited by Emolisher; 11th April 2010 at 04:10 AM.
Emolisher is offline   Add to Emolisher's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 04:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
GDJasL is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sure why not? now singaporean kids are more and more ang mor lol cant stand it own language also dunno

GDJasL is offline   Add to GDJasL's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 04:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Mel Lee is a jewel in the roughMel Lee is a jewel in the rough

Liked 44 Times in 40 Posts

Vugular language must know, mainly the common ones such Chesse Burger or Long John stuff or those Father-Mother stuff.

Mel Lee is offline   Add to Mel Lee's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 04:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mel Lee View Post
Vugular language must know, mainly the common ones such Chesse Burger or Long John stuff or those Father-Mother stuff.
wa next time ur kid confrim very vulgar

girls say vugular very unglam
dunno why alot girls like to say

Old 11th April 2010, 04:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
PES_2009 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, i will not teach since i don't really know dialect...

PES_2009 is offline   Add to PES_2009's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 04:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Emosan
Emolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to behold

Liked 154 Times in 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GDJasL View Post
wa next time ur kid confrim very vulgar

girls say vugular very unglam
dunno why alot girls like to say
Yeah i agree I believe many of them were under the influence of vugular male classmates..

Last edited by Emolisher; 11th April 2010 at 04:47 AM.
Emolisher is offline   Add to Emolisher's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 04:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Emolisher View Post
Yeah i agree I believe many of them were under the influence of vugular male classmates
ya most is becos classmate or their parent also talk and plz la girl talk vulugar is so ah lian and unglam

Old 11th April 2010, 06:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Grey is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't even know how to speak my own dialect! hahaha. only know to speak mum's :p
probably won't teach my children since i don't think it'd be very useful. i'd rather make them learn japanese.

Grey is offline   Add to Grey's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
wz77 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it is rather important to teach our children our roots.

wz77 is offline   Add to wz77's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Amulet has a spectacular aura about

dialects is like the color of our chinese culture.. its important for my kids to know at least our own dialect.. my daughter is 2 yrs old and she can understand hokkien and speak it..

but no.. vulgarities i hope not.. it's uncouth to use vulgarities, big turn off in boys and girls..

Old 11th April 2010, 08:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts

I TOTALLY oppose to ang moh pai styles.

Dialects has a long history. They are the descendants of Old Chinese and Middle Chinese, which is different from modern Chinese. Dialects preserved many tones and pronounciations not found in modern Chinese anymore. Besides, modern Chinese has roots dating back to Yuan Dynasty, and for the rest of Chinese history, Old Chinese and Middle Chinese are being used.

Lastly, dialects is then our real roots. As you know, Singaporean Chinese are descendants from people of southern China. Our native language is our own dialects (Hokkien, Teochew, Cantonese etc.) and not Chinese. This Chinese and all those Mandarin Chinese dialects are native to northern China only, not southern China

I will just say, next time if you don't know dialects, it is ok, since even China having this Putonghua promotion going on and many youngsters there also barely can speak dialects. It doesn't matter much, but if you don't know Chinese, I can give you 3 words only:

SHAME ON YOU

Last edited by christmas_; 11th April 2010 at 08:44 AM.
christmas_ is offline   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
workingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to all

Liked 174 Times in 130 Posts

how do parents teach? i don't even think it's easy to teach but more for your kids to get exposed to it during their early years. weirdly enough, i grew up in a household where my dad constantly talk to my grandparents in cantonese, yet now i still do not understand it. wonder if it is because my infant years were spent in US where i did not hear of such conversations.

Old 11th April 2010, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
shypineapple is a jewel in the roughshypineapple is a jewel in the rough

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

provided they want to, no point forcing my kids if they don't wanna.

of course I'll ask my parents or my relative to teach them since I no nuts about dialect.
as for chinese, school will teach them. hopefully they will learn, whether they are fluent in it. another story by itself.

as long we've still have kopitiam, Im sure the 2050 generation will still be able to understand chinese.
its because of kopitiam that I understand chinese. cause all the stallholders aren't very good in english & the menu in chinese. bo bian.

I dream about you when I sleep.
shypineapple is offline   Add to shypineapple's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 10:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
lousydk is a jewel in the roughlousydk is a jewel in the rough

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

teach the good things
i can't imagine you teaching your daughter vulgar
>.<

lousydk is offline   Add to lousydk's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 10:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Jodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to behold

Liked 54 Times in 24 Posts

Originally Posted by christmas_ View Post
I TOTALLY oppose to ang moh pai styles.

Dialects has a long history. They are the descendants of Old Chinese and Middle Chinese, which is different from modern Chinese. Dialects preserved many tones and pronounciations not found in modern Chinese anymore. Besides, modern Chinese has roots dating back to Yuan Dynasty, and for the rest of Chinese history, Old Chinese and Middle Chinese are being used.

Lastly, dialects is then our real roots. As you know, Singaporean Chinese are descendants from people of southern China. Our native language is our own dialects (Hokkien, Teochew, Cantonese etc.) and not Chinese. This Chinese and all those Mandarin Chinese dialects are native to northern China only, not southern China

I will just say, next time if you don't know dialects, it is ok, since even China having this Putonghua promotion going on and many youngsters there also barely can speak dialects. It doesn't matter much, but if you don't know Chinese, I can give you 3 words only:

SHAME ON YOU
I think your "We must learn Chinese because we are Chinese" ideology is flawed. Even you mentioned that dialects are "our real roots": which is disputable 'cos we can probably go a lot further back in history (refer to last paragraph). What, exactly, are "our real roots"? We cannot be certain 'cos all languages evolve. And sometimes, the evolution is so drastic that the language differs from how it originally looked like.

Allow me to make a bold claim: The original languages are "drawings". Even in the context of Chinese characters, this is arguably true. Does that mean that "not knowing how to write the original scripts = you aren't deeply rooted = shame on you"? The Chinese language we know today are different from those of the past. And I believe that, like English, the Chinese language has new words added every day.

Also, Chinese words used in Singapore may not necessarily be understood in China and vice versa. Apply this concept to China: China, being big, words used in certain parts may not be comprehensible to others from other areas.

So what, exactly, are our "roots"? We don't know. You seemed to suggest a yardstick by which we determine what our roots are - that we follow what the country our "ancestors" come from is promoting. For instance, putonghua is promoted, hence it is "okay" for you to not know "dialects", which is a more-true-root than putonghua. If, in the unlikely but probable future, Beijing promotes "English", will you change your ideology (using the same reasoning) to "since English is promoted, it is okay for you not to know putonghua. If you don't even know English, shame on you!"?

Well, to end off, demographics and values change. A language's level of relevance in society changes. Take, for instance, Latin was the in-thing last time, but who uses Latin nowadays other than those academics who wish to maintain a certain level of cheemness, lol. The fact is, in theory, nobody wants to be stupid and be disadvantaged - if there is value and there is relevance in learning Chinese, they will. If not, they won't. There's no shame in "not knowing your roots", even most Egyptians nowadays know little about hieroglyphics - it's just not relevant in today's society.

I'd like to end off now. Theoretically, all of Man originated from Africa. Since none of us know the "original root", all of us are shameful.

Teach my younglings? Sure, if it is relevant. If it's not, no way. :]

Last edited by Jodar; 11th April 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Jodar is offline   Add to Jodar's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 11:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Amulet has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by workingtoohard View Post
how do parents teach? i don't even think it's easy to teach but more for your kids to get exposed to it during their early years. weirdly enough, i grew up in a household where my dad constantly talk to my grandparents in cantonese, yet now i still do not understand it. wonder if it is because my infant years were spent in US where i did not hear of such conversations.
i think that's becoz it's not important for u to know how to converse in dialect thus u didnt manage to speak that language.. ur dad is only talking to ur grandparents in cantonese, which it's not concerning you, thus u can juz 'switch off' from that language.. if ur dad converse to you in dialect daily, it won't take you too long to master it..

how parents teach dialect is jus like how parents teach english and mandarin or any other spoken language.. my mother converse to my girl in dialect since day 1.. this is how she pick up hokkien..

my distant cousin moved to Australia since 3 yrs old, and his siblings are all born there.. they although cannot understand or speak chinese, but can speak hokkien to a certain extend though english is their 1st language as their parents do choose to converse in hokkien to them at home..

Old 11th April 2010, 12:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
workingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to all

Liked 174 Times in 130 Posts

what i was wondering is, if parents don't speak to their kids in the dialect since day 1, can the kids still pick it up with ease later on based on just verbal conversations? i mean parents don't really teach their kids in reality, they just speak and we pick it up. its not like "ang moh pai" was our choice, dialect just wasn't our mode of communication within family.

Last edited by workingtoohard; 11th April 2010 at 12:01 PM.
workingtoohard is offline   Add to workingtoohard's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 12:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
finaldust will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yes why not? good to learn more language!!

to maintain it, is 'better said than done'
to break off, is 'easier said than done'
to remain friends after u broke off, is never possible
to forget the memories is 'always doing but never succeeding'
to heal the pain within is hard and tough and never near simple
but one has to try to heal your own heart...
finaldust is offline   Add to finaldust's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 12:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
catdao is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jodar View Post
I think your "We must learn Chinese because we are Chinese" ideology is flawed. Even you mentioned that dialects are "our real roots": which is disputable 'cos we can probably go a lot further back in history (refer to last paragraph). What, exactly, are "our real roots"? We cannot be certain 'cos all languages evolve. And sometimes, the evolution is so drastic that the language differs from how it originally looked like.

Allow me to make a bold claim: The original languages are "drawings". Even in the context of Chinese characters, this is arguably true. Does that mean that "not knowing how to write the original scripts = you aren't deeply rooted = shame on you"? The Chinese language we know today are different from those of the past. And I believe that, like English, the Chinese language has new words added every day.

Also, Chinese words used in Singapore may not necessarily be understood in China and vice versa. Apply this concept to China: China, being big, words used in certain parts may not be comprehensible to others from other areas.

So what, exactly, are our "roots"? We don't know. You seemed to suggest a yardstick by which we determine what our roots are - that we follow what the country our "ancestors" come from is promoting. For instance, putonghua is promoted, hence it is "okay" for you to not know "dialects", which is a more-true-root than putonghua. If, in the unlikely but probable future, Beijing promotes "English", will you change your ideology (using the same reasoning) to "since English is promoted, it is okay for you not to know putonghua. If you don't even know English, shame on you!"?

Well, to end off, demographics and values change. A language's level of relevance in society changes. Take, for instance, Latin was the in-thing last time, but who uses Latin nowadays other than those academics who wish to maintain a certain level of cheemness, lol. The fact is, in theory, nobody wants to be stupid and be disadvantaged - if there is value and there is relevance in learning Chinese, they will. If not, they won't. There's no shame in "not knowing your roots", even most Egyptians nowadays know little about hieroglyphics - it's just not relevant in today's society.

I'd like to end off now. Theoretically, all of Man originated from Africa. Since none of us know the "original root", all of us are shameful.

Teach my younglings? Sure, if it is relevant. If it's not, no way. :]
Well said Jodar. I'vce had this problem since I was born - a whole bunch of Chinese nationalist who has no idea what in the world "native" means expounding the so called "truth" about Chinese having to speak Chinese simply because, period. I mean, have you seen how the Chinese themselves treated their OWN Chinese peope duing the communist era? Communism, by the way, a concept of the west? Why are you so eagerly proud to be assocated with that? Why are you clinging on to that sick notion that you have to be of that "pure" race so you MUST speak the language? And as Jodar says, since we all come from Africa, we should all learn to speak every single language from the countries of Africa.

Well, take me for example. When my mum picks me up from school when I was young, people give me and her wierd stares because my mum's Indian. I HAD to learn Chinese because my IC stated I was Chinese - which wasn't bad really because there's no harm learning another language. I go home and I eat with my hands, my customs are mix of the Indians and Chinese and god knows what language I SHOULD BE SPEAKING. So to make things simple, we all spoke English. Does that make me a caucasian? Well, honestly, I don't give a shit. I'm Singaporean, I'm a person, and that's all I care.

catdao is offline   Add to catdao's Reputation Reply With Quote