Please help mark my essay :D - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life > Language Help » Please help mark my essay :D

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2011, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
yuppy989 is on a distinguished road

Please help mark my essay :D

What makes a good parent?

All parents, young or old, will always want to be the best father and mother to their child. Their love for their child will try to ensure that their child will get everything, from the best education to the best toys. However, not everything they do might be the right way. In the following essay, I will be discussing what makes a good parent.

To be a good parent, one must be able to inculcate good moral values to their children. As the saying goes: “A parent is the child’s first teacher.” Therefore, it is essential that parents are able to teach their child good ethics so as to prepare them for the future. Most parents feel often neglect this and assume that as long as they score well academically, it is enough. This is wrong as attitude, not aptitude determines altitude and if their child does not know how to behave in society, they will not make it far. Therefore, rather than just paying a few hundred dollars a month on a personal tutor to improve his or her grade, it is more important for the parents and the child to sit down and have a good talk where parents teach them the right attitude when they go out to face society. Thus, if a parent is able to teach their child good moral values, then they can be considered a good parent.

Another way to be a good parent is to be for your child. Most parent leave for work before their child wakes and comes back home after they sleep, in order to make money so as to give their family luxury and comfort as they feel that as long as they have money, they can get whatever the family wants, ensuring their happiness. On the contrary, what kids really want is to spend quality time with their loved ones. No amount of money can ever substitute for a loving family. So rather than working day and night, parents should once in a while take their child out, spend time with them, listen to them and try to help them rather criticizing them and let them know they are appreciated. This is one of the requirements to being a good parent.

Lastly, parents must be consistent. To be a good parent, one must at show them affection constantly. Expecting a kid to like you by showing affection or actually bothering about once in a blue moon is definitely wrong. By doing so, the parent will practically be a stranger to the child, and the bonds between them instead of being strengthen, will be severely weakened. Therefore, parents must always let their child know that they care about them all the time, not ignoring them. As long as parents do this, they can call themselves a good parent.

All in all, there is no right or wrong way to be a good parent to their child as each kid varies from each other but the methods stated are the general guidelines for every parent. As long as parents show their love to their child, then they already are good parents.

Please help me check my essay and please give feedback. Any comments will be appreciated.

Sponsors:

Last edited by yuppy989; 23rd October 2011 at 09:15 AM.
Add to yuppy989's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Re: Please help mark my essay :D

Umm... Can someone please comment? Can anybody tell me if this essay is good enough to pass or something? I know it may sound slightly demanding but I'm really nervous for tomorrow and it would help if someone could rate me.

yuppy989 is offline   Add to yuppy989's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Cheetarded is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yuppy989 View Post
Umm... Can someone please comment? Can anybody tell me if this essay is good enough to pass or something? I know it may sound slightly demanding but I'm really nervous for tomorrow and it would help if someone could rate me.
Hello yuppy!
Your essay is indeed a good one.
You would probably get an A2 for it.
Though there are some grammar mistakes.
Having English 'O' level tmr, stay calm and give your best.
All the best! ^^

Old 23rd October 2011, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Originally Posted by Cheetarded View Post
Hello yuppy!
Your essay is indeed a good one.
You would probably get an A2 for it.
Though there are some grammar mistakes.
Having English 'O' level tmr, stay calm and give your best.
All the best! ^^
Thank you very much! Your comment really makes me feel more relax. I'll take note and thanks!

yuppy989 is offline   Add to yuppy989's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
th0ny_15 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What makes a good parent?

(Are you a parent ? As if you are stating you've experience it already)All parents, young or old (neither if they old or young..it doesnt make sense pointing this out), will always want to be the best father and mother to their child. Their love for their child(children) will (delete this->(try to) ensure that their child will get everything, from the best education to the best toys. However, not everything they do might be the right way. In the following essay, I will be discussing what makes a good parent.

To be a good parent, one must be able to inculcate good moral values to their children. As the saying goes: “A parent is the child’s first teacher.” Therefore, it is essential that parents are able to teach their child good ethics so as to prepare them for the future. Most parents feel often neglect this and assume that as long as they score well academically, it is enough. This is wrong as attitude, not aptitude determines altitude and if their child does not know how to behave in society, they will not make it far. Therefore, rather than just paying a few hundred dollars a month on a personal tutor to improve his or her grade, it is more important for the parents and the child to sit down and have a good talk where parents teach them the right attitude when they go out to face society. Thus, if a parent is able to teach their child good moral values, then they can be considered a good parent.

Another way to be a good parent is to be (there) for your child. Most parent leave for work before their child wakes and comes back home after they sleep, in order to make money so as to give their family luxury and comfort as they feel that as long as they have money, they can get whatever the family wants, ensuring their happiness. On the contrary, what kids really want is to spend quality time with their loved ones. No amount of money can ever substitute for a loving family. So rather than working day and night, parents should once in a while take their child out, spend time with them, listen to them and try to help them rather criticizing them and let them know they are appreciated. This is one of the (replace requirements into responsibility)requirements to being a good parent.

Lastly, parents must be consistent. To be a good parent, one must at show them affection constantly. Expecting a kid to like you by showing affection or actually bothering about once in a blue moon is definitely wrong. By doing so, the parent will practically be a stranger to the child, and the bonds between them instead of being strengthen, will be severely weakened. Therefore, parents must always let their child know that they care about them all the time, not ignoring them. As long as parents do this, they can call themselves a good parent.

All in all, there is no right or wrong way to be a good parent to their child as each kid varies from each other but the methods stated are the general guidelines for every parent. As long as parents show their love to their child, then they already are good parents.

Please help me check my essay and please give feedback. Any comments will be appreciated.

Nice essay

th0ny_15 is offline   Add to th0ny_15's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
th0ny_15 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did you recieve my comment?

th0ny_15 is offline   Add to th0ny_15's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
poopeeka is just really nicepoopeeka is just really nice

Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts

All parents, young or old, will always want to be the best father and mother to their child. Their love for their child will try to ensure that their child will get everything, from the best education to the best toys. However, not everything they do might be the right way. In the following essay, I will be discussing what makes a good parent.
All parents, young or old would always want to be the best father or mother for their child. In their love for their child, they would try to meet their child's every needs, from providing the best possible education to buying the best made toys. However, not everything they do might be appropriate. In the following essay, I will discuss my opinions on what makes a parent good or bad.

To be a good parent, one must impart good moral values to their children. As the saying goes: "A parent is the child's first teacher." Therefore, it is essential that parents impress the importance of being ethical upon their child so as to prepare them for the future. I feel most parents are more concerned with the academic marks of their child than their strength of character. In my opinion, this is wrong as attitude, not aptitude determines altitude and if their child does not know how to behave in society, they will not make it far. Therefore, rather than paying a few hundred dollars a month for tuition just to improve a grade, it is more important that they sit down as a family to teach their child how to become a better person. Thus, it is when a parent is able to teach their child good moral values, then they can be considered a good parent.

Another way to be a good parent is to be for your child. Most parent leave for work before their child wakes and comes back home after they sleep, in order to make money so as to give their family luxury and comfort as they feel that as long as they have money, they can get whatever the family wants, ensuring their happiness. On the contrary, what kids really want is to spend quality time with their loved ones. No amount of money can ever substitute for a loving family. So rather than working day and night, parents should once in a while take their child out, spend time with them, listen to them and try to help them rather criticizing them and let them know they are appreciated. This is one of the requirements to being a good parent.
Another way I feel is to be there for your child. Most parents leave for work before their child is awake and only return home after they sleep, in order to make money and support any needs or wants their family might have, in order to ensure their happiness. On the contrary, I think what kids really want is to spend quality time with their loved ones. No amount of money can ever be an adequate substitute for a loving family. So rather than working day and night, parents should cut back on their work and spend more time interacting with their children, being supportive and appreciative instead of being critical and judgmental. This is one of the requirements to being a good parent.

Lastly, parents must be consistent with their behavior. To be a good parent, one must show them affection constantly. If a parent only shows their love once in a blue moon, it is only natural that the child would see his or her parent as a stranger and their blood ties would become no stronger than water. Therefore, parents should always let their child know that they care through the presence of their actions not by its absence.

All in all, there is no right or wrong way to be a good parent as no two children are the same but the methods I stated are the general guidelines I believe every parent should try to live by. As long as parents show their love, then they are already good parents.

One word: YIKES

Look I don't mean to be rude, but this essay is entirely 1-sided, very patronizing, full of way too much repetition and fairly dry to read. If you're submitting this as an english essay, I would give you a low B/high C depending on your current level of study. But if you are submitting this for a Social Science class then YIKES again- no more than a very low C at most.

Though your grammar and sentence structure is fairly solid, you hardly ever play with the vocabulary and meaning of words (except for that attitude, aptitude, altitude bit), there is no usage of idioms (it is not a must, but it does entertain and an amused teacher is a teacher who is more likely to overlook your mistakes and give you more rewards), you write this from the viewpoint of a very young person yet you establish your points like they're the laws of the universe and should be followed by all. You need to inject some more personality into the essay, and you need to acknowledge when you are stating your opinions, and when you are stating facts- don't just treat them as the same thing

...also why dig this thread up? Its 1 year old already.

poopeeka is offline   Add to poopeeka's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
jannifer is an unknown quantity at this point

he 6 Basic Principles of Good Parenting:
1.) The Buck Stops Here

2.) You Had 'Em, You Raise 'Em

3.) You're a Parent, Not a Friend

4.) Practice What You Preach

5.) When a Routine Life Isn't Boring

6.) Don't Deprive Your Child of Discipline

www.authorsmania.com

jannifer is offline   Add to jannifer's Reputation Reply With Quote