Pureland - Amitabha - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Singapore Buddhism Forums » Pureland - Amitabha

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2011, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
tashichoden will become famous soon enough

Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Pureland - Amitabha

Hi All Dharma Senior,

Sakyamuni Buddha and many Great masters encouraged umpteen times,
we should vow to reborn in Amitabha's Pureland
That is: make this life the last one in Samsara,
For us, Amitabha Buddha had created this Pureland with His 48 Great Vows.
[

We all know, this world is full of lust, desire and (fatal) attraction, it is not a good place to practice.
As Ven Jing Jie always warned us: one bad point about this world is -- the limited life.
For eg, when we are young, we cheong and enjoy life, till a stage we married then pursue career then get in touch with Buddhism.
Then we study and practice, about 60-70 yr old or older, we died.
We may die of sickness or accident, or by any chance, who knows?
Our practice was cut off, and we reborn to samsara again.
We may reborn in Heaven, or human again, lower realms. Then we start all over again...
So when can we really become Buddha?

Amitabha Buddha see this problem, so in order to help us, He created This Pureland, that provides all benefits for all that really keen in attaining ultimate Enlightenment.

These benefits are, when we reborn in His Pureland, we will gain the below:
1) will never reborn in three lower realms (hungry ghost, animal and hell)

2) will have unlimited life - that is we will not die. so we can continue to practice Buddha teachings.

3) will gain a non-physical body. So which means, we will not fall sick and do not need to work and go to school, so we will have plenty of time to focus on practising.

4) there is no evil people or bad companion, we are surrounded by all great masters and Bodhisttavas and Arhats.

5) will gain the power to fly and travel anywhere as you desire. We are able to travel to all other Buddha Purelands as you want, and make offer to them personally, and listen to their teachings! This is one benefits that you will not get by reborning in other place or Pureland. By making offering to Buddhas, you can accumulate many merits which you are unable to make it in this samsara world.

6) once you reborned there, it is a guarantee that you will eventually attaing ultimate Enlightenment and become a Buddha. No doubt on this.

and many more benefits, many more...

How to reborn in this Pureland?
There are many ways, one of the most common one will be chanting Namo Ah Mi Tuo Fo

Why reborn Amitabha Pureland?
http://www.dizang.org/wd/nf/097.htm

For those who interested in practising this, can refer to :
http://www.prajna-pureland.com/subject.php?subject=36
under 会 归 净 土

For Ten doubts on Pureland

Of course, there are many different practice, some may want to reborn in other Pureland,
here just sharing, and I just hope all of us will vow to reborn in Amitabha Pureland,
Or some do not chant His Name, still can do so. How? According to masters teachings,
after your daily practice, for eg you chant Green Tara mantra,
after that you add ten recitation of Namo Ah Mi Tuo Fo and dedicate to reborn in Amitabha Pureland.
Dedication:
愿生西方净土中
九品莲花为父母
花开见佛悟无生
不退菩萨为伴侣

That is it.

Cheers!

Sponsors:

Last edited by tashichoden; 14th November 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Add to tashichoden's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Re: Pureland - Amitabha

Amitabha Buddha's Story

Old 15th November 2011, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Hi All

For those who interested in knowing the benefits of reborn in Amitabha Pureland,
Ven Jing Kong had recap in this book 阿弥陀佛四十八愿

How to get there?
http://www.amtb.org.sg/amtb/index.ph...d=14&Itemid=15

On 2nd floor of the centre, there are many books on Pureland practices.
Reciting Amitabha Buddha's Name to reborn in His Pureland is indeed the
fastest and simplest way to become a Buddha.

Cheers!

Old 30th June 2013, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Account Suspended
unclerexy is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like Amituofo Pureland. When I first enlist during National Service I brought a Amitabha Sutra and put it beside my bunk bed. Scared of ghosts. Then I had a bunch of ACJC bunkmates who were all Christians. It was a little awkward cuz I hid at my corner chanting the sutra in the late night when I miss my home. As a child leaving home for the first time and separated by a fast craft from Singapore island it feels really far away from home. Amitabha Pureland for a newbie into Buddhism is considered a simple entry dharma door. When I read the sutra text it is simple enough to visualise the benefits of Pureland. The only thing is that I always imagine myself being reborn there yet it was quite mystifying imagining all fellow practitioners going there. As the sutra seemed to suggest a pure element of faith in the vows of Amitabha Buddha is tremendously important for Pureland practice. This Mahayana approach is super simplistic and straightforward. It is comparable with doing household chore on a daily basis.. when one eats he has to sh*t, when one drinks he has to pee, therefore when one breathes he has to chant Amitabha Buddha's name.

unclerexy is offline   Add to unclerexy's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Account Suspended
unclerexy is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Namo Amitabha
Namo Amitabha
Namo Amitabha

_/|\_

unclerexy is offline   Add to unclerexy's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
yokoz is on a distinguished road

yokoz is offline   Add to yokoz's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
yokoz is on a distinguished road

yokoz is offline   Add to yokoz's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
TheSunHalo is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you truly unaware that you are a Buddha-in-making below is an excerpt of Layman Pang and Layman Pang daughter, Ling Zhao (Layman Pang, Empty Cloud: The Teachings of Xu Yun, Chapter 10, Pg 65-69) of Empty Cloud: The Teachings of Xu Yun on pureland metta !

CHAPTER 10: LAYMAN PANG

Sometimes ordinary folks get the idea that the meaning of Chan is so profound that only men and women who've been ordained in the Dharma can possibly fathom it. But that's just not so. Actually, we priests often feel that we're in way over our heads. And every now and then, while we splash about, trying to look good treading water in our nice uniforms, along comes a civilian who zips by us, swimming like an Olympic champion. Such a civilian was Layman Pang. He would have won Chan's gold medal. He's been a hero not only to centuries worth of other laymen, but also, I confess, to every priest who's ever studied his winning style.

Layman Pang lived during the latter half of the Eighth Century, a golden age for Chan. He was an educated family man - he had a wife and a son and daughter - and was well-enough off financially to be able to devote his time to Buddhist studies.

He got the idea that a person needed solitude in order to meditate and ponder the Dharma, so he built himself a little one-room monastery near his family home. Every day he went there to study and practice.

His wife, son and daughter studied the Dharma, too; but they stayed in the family house, conducting their business and doing their chores, incorporating Buddhism into their daily lives.

Layman Pang had submerged himself in the sutras and one day he found that he, too, was in over his head. He hadn't learned to swim yet. On that day, he stormed out of his monastery-hut and, in abject frustration, complained to his wife, "Difficult! Difficult! Difficult! Trying to grasp so many facts is like trying to store sesame seeds in the leaves of a tree top!"

His wife retorted, "Easy! Easy! Easy! You've been studying words, but I study the grass and find the Buddha Self reflected in every drop of dew."

Now, Layman Pang's daughter, Ling Zhao, was listening to this verbal splashing, so she went swimming by. "Two old people foolishly chattering!" she called.

"Just a minute!" shouted Layman Pang. "If you're so smart, tell us your method."

TheSunHalo is offline   Add to TheSunHalo's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you truly unaware that you are a Buddha-in-making below is an excerpt of Layman Pang and Layman Pang daughter, Ling Zhao (Layman Pang, Empty Cloud: The Teachings of Xu Yun, Chapter 10, Pg 65-69) of Empty Cloud: The Teachings of Xu Yun on pureland metta !

"Just a minute!" shouted Layman Pang. "If you're so smart, tell us your method."

Ling Zhao returned to her parents and said gently, "It's not difficult, and it's not easy. When I'm hungry, I eat. When I'm tired, I sleep."

Ling Zhao had mastered Natural Chan.

Layman Pang learned a lot that day. He understood so much that he put away his books, locked his little monastery-hut, and decided to visit different Chan masters to test his understanding. He still couldn't compete against his own daughter, but he was getting pretty good.

Eventually he wound up at Nan Yue Mountain where Master Shi Tou had a monastic retreat. Layman Pang went directly to the master and asked, "Where can I find a man who's unattached to material things?" Master Shi Tou slowly raised his hand and closed Pang's mouth. In that one gesture, Pang's Chan really deepened. He stayed at Nan Yueh for many months.

All the monks there watched him and became quite curious about his Natural Chan, his perfect equanimity. Even Master Shi Tou was moved to ask him what his secret was. "Everyone marvels at your methods," said Shi Tou. "Tell me. Do you have any special powers?"

Layman Pang just smiled and said, "No, no special powers. My day is filled with humble activities and I just keep my mind in harmony with my tasks. I accept what comes without desire or aversion. When encountering other people, I maintain an uncritical attitude, never admiring, never condemning. To me, red is red and not crimson or scarlet. So, what marvelous method do I use? Well, when I chop wood, I chop wood; and when I carry water, I carry water."

Master Shi Tou was understandably impressed by this response. He wanted Pang to join his Sangha. "A fellow like you shouldn't remain a layman," said Shi Tou. "Why don't you shave your head and become a monk?"

The proposition signaled the end of Pang's sojourn with Shi Tou. Clearly, he could learn no more from this master. Pang responded with a simple remark. "I'll do what I'll do," and what he did was leave.

He next showed up at the doorstep of the formidable Master Ma Zu. Again he asked the master, "Where can I find a man who's unattached to material things?" Ma Tzu frowned and replied, "I'll tell you after you've swallowed West River in one gulp."

In grasping that one remark, Pang was able to complete his enlightenment. He saw that Uncritical Mind was not enough. His mind had to

Old 24th January 2014, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

become as immense as Buddha Mind; it had to encompass all Samsara and Nirvana, to expand into Infinity's Void. Such a mind could swallow the Pacific.

Layman Pang stayed with Master Ma Zu until he discovered one day that he had no more to learn from him, either. On that particular occasion, Pang approached Ma Zu and, standing over him, said, "An enlightened fellow asks you to look up." Ma Zu deliberately looked straight down. Layman Pang sighed, "How beautifully you play the stringless lute!"

At this point, Ma Zu had confirmed that there was no difference between human beings, that they were truly one and the same individual. As Pang had looked down, Ma Zu would look down. There was no one else to look up. But then, unaccountably, Ma Zu looked straight up and broke the spell, so to speak. So Layman Pang bowed low and remained in that obeisance of finality as Ma Zu rose and began to walk away. As the Master brushed past him, the Layman whispered, "Bungled it, didn't you... trying to be clever."

Layman Pang had attained mastery and every master he encountered acknowledged this. But what is evident to a master is not always evident to an ordinary monk. One winter day, while Pang was leaving the monastery of Master Yao Shan, some young monks, who were disdainful of his status as a mere layman, accompanied him to the front door. When Pang looked outside, he saw that it was snowing. "Good snow!" he said. "The flakes do not fall elsewhere." A monk named Quan, who was as impudent as he was stupid, completely missed the wit in Pang's remark. He mocked the Layman, asking sarcastically, "Where did you expect the flakes to fall?"

Now, Pang was good naturedly complimenting the snow for not falling in the kitchen or the meditation hall, that is to say, for falling where snow was supposed to fall - in the courtyard and fields, on the trees and roads. Pang knew that he would have to walk a long distance in that bitterly cold snow, and he had accepted that fact without distress.

But Pang not only had the wisdom of a master, he had the temper, too. When he saw the sneer on the young monk's face, he struck him.

"How dare you!" said the monk.

"And you're an ordained monk?" asked Pang incredulously. "Why, you'd be rejected at Hell's gates!"

"Just what do you mean by that?" demanded the monk.

Pang struck him again. "I mean that though you have eyes, ears and tongue, you're absolutely blind, deaf, and dumb." Then he calmly went out into the snow as if it were just so much sunshine. He had given the monk quite a lesson.

But usually he was extremely kind and patient with those he instructed.

Old 24th January 2014, 09:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One day, as he listened to a man who was trying to explain the Diamond Sutra, he noticed that the fellow was struggling with the meaning of a line that dealt with the nonexistence of the ego personality. "Perhaps I can help you," Pang said. "Do you understand that that which is conditional and changing is not real and that which is unconditional and immutable is real?"

"Yes," replied the commentator.

"Then is it not true that egos are conditional and changing, that no ego is the same from one minute to the next? Is it not true that with each passing minute, depending on circumstances and conditions, we acquire new information and new experiences just as we forget old information and experiences?

"Yes," agreed the commentator.

"But what is there about us that is unconditional and unchanging? asked Pang.

"Our common Buddha Nature!" replied the commentator, suddenly smiling, suddenly understanding. "That alone is real! The rest is mere illusion!" He was so happy that he inspired Pang to write him a poem: Since there is neither ego nor personality Who is distant and who is close? Take my advice and quit talking about reality. Experience it directly, for yourself. The nature of the Diamond Wisdom Is truth in all its singular purity. Fictitious egos can't divide or soil it. The expressions, "I hear," "I believe," "I understand," Are simply expedient expressions Tools in the diamond-cutter's hands. When the work's done, he puts them down.

Layman Pang and his daughter Ling Zhao traveled around China meeting their expenses by selling bamboo articles they made. They grew old together, becoming legends of enlightenment. Their last residence was a mountain cave.

Pang knew that it was time for him to lay his burden down. He was very tired and could not go on. Inside the cave there was one particular rock that he always sat on when meditating; so he took his seat and, intending to pass away when the sun was directly overhead, he sent Ling Zhao outside to watch for the moment that noon had come. In a few minutes, however, Ling Zhao returned to the cave breathless with excitement. "Oh, Father," she shouted, "you must come outside and see this! There's been an eclipse of the sun!"

Well, this was an extraordinary occurrence if ever there was one. Pang could not resist having a look at it. So he rose from his meditation rock and went outside. He looked and looked but there was no eclipse. Noon had come, that was all. But where was Ling Zhao? Pang returned to the cave and found her dead, her body sitting upright on his meditation rock. "Oh, that girl!" cried Pang. "She always was ahead of me."

He buried her and then, a week later, he, too, entered Nirvana. His body was cremated and the ashes scattered on the waters of a nearby lake.

Old 2nd June 2017, 04:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
linrx is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Breathing in, I came here for nothing in particular.
Breathing out, given a choice I rather stay in the Saha realm giving rise to bodhicitta and anuttara samyak sambodhi than to seek manifestation in Amitabha Pureland, imho my personal training vow as part of my discipline.

» Sponsors
Watch Free Movies Online
Celebrity Gossip
Food Delivery

» Facebook Fans
» What's Going On?
Title, Username, & Date
25 years on, many cannot live without the Internet
Who is the fastest (with low ping) fibre broadband ISP in Singapore?
Parents urged to widen definitions of success
Aware campaign urges tackling violence against women
Scams
Tiger Sky Tower to reopen after investigating breakdown that trapped 39 people in Sentosa
Two contractors fined S$40,000 each for damaging sewer pipes
PSLE results: 98.4% of students make it to secondary school
Joo Koon collision: Tuas West Extension train services suspended until Sunday for further...
Do commuters need to be informed about short public transport delays via social media?
First case of laughing gas addiction treated in Singapore
URA investigating more private residential properties for breaking minimum stay law
Shibuya-style crossing to be trialled at Orchard Rd, Cairnhill junction
6 good reasons why you need to educate your child about sex early
Uber driver jailed for stealing laptop and more than $18,000 from passenger
Gauze left in wound - Doctor's mistake leaves cancer patient traumatised
Mum of 4-year-old girl who died in Bukit Batok accident makes appeal for witnesses and...
Who Washes Your Undergarments?
Questions regarding day cream
Post anything random on this thread.
Featured Photos
by ApnaE
· · ·
Institute of Technical Education (ITE) Ang Mo Kio
1 photos
0 comments
by ApnaE
· · ·
Member Galleries