Recipes, especially for intl students in Aust... - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Food & Dining > Recipes » Recipes, especially for intl students in Aust...

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th July 2009, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
chef@work has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recipes, especially for intl students in Aust...

This is for meant for anyone, if interested. X, I'll be your saviour from now.

Most of the food/ingredients are listed according to what I can find in Aust. If there's an alternate name for any, pls do let me now.

Being students here, most of you would be lacking in terms of kitchen expertise. Do let me, salvage you from the horrors of eating food that you have no choice but to consume.

chef@work added 16 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

FRIED RICE

Most impt thing in fried rice, is never to use fresh rice. Use overnite, frozen rice, if possible and it makes frying much easier.

As most kitchen are equiped with electric stove tops, cook fried rice in small batches. Even @ max heat setting, your fried rice will not be truly fried.

2 cup worth of over nite rice.
2 cloves of minced garlic.
200gm mince pork.
100gm of mixed veg.
1/2 beaten egg.

Soya suace, fish sauce, dark soya, sweet soya, pepper is up to you. Usually, i add 1tsp of fish, 2 tsp of lite soya + some white pepper @ 1st.

3/4 heat on, when your pan is hot enough add 2tbs of oil. If it's smoking, reducing heat then drop yr meat in and fry, till cooked. Bear in mind that since it's mince product, it's impt to have it 100% cooked.

Cook the eggs as you like. Scrambled eggs with fried rice is nice IMHO.

For rice.

3/4 heat, 3 tbs of oil, then add yr garlic. When it's fragrant and nice, max heat, drop yr rice in. Fry for abt 3 mins, till u can see it smoke. Then add 25ml of water in, this water process, give the rice some wetness and improve the flavour. U can add yr above soya suace or what sauce u like.

Keep stiring the rice @ first so that the heat can work all over. A good guide would be stir once, every 5 sec. When it's hot, go slower, but not too slow. Personally, I prefer abit of chow tar smell in rice.

Another 2 min of that, add your previously cooked meat and veg. 1 more min, taste. Then add sauce if u find it bland.

If you prefer onions or bean sprout, u should fry them 1st, before adding the rice as it takes awhile for heat to conduct thru the frying pan.

Serve with spring onions.

If you have a gas stove, then it's even easier to cook fried rice.

X, hopes this help. When you cook a few times liao, used to the process, u can add whatever kind of ingredients that you like.

Sponsors:

Last edited by chef@work; 29th July 2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
Add to chef@work's Reputation
Old 29th July 2009, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

Liked 312 Times in 239 Posts
Re: Recipes, especially for intl students in Aust...

Thanks!! =D

I used to fry bacon and egg separately, then add just-cooked rice into it.. stir awhile, add some chicken powder, soy sauce, pepper and corn. hehe... i'd imagine it was a disaster. =x

oh yea, how do u prevent the oil from sputtering when u first add garlic, or minced meat?

and so on to viscosity.
typeX is offline   Add to typeX's Reputation
Old 29th July 2009, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by typeX View Post
Thanks!! =D

I used to fry bacon and egg separately, then add just-cooked rice into it.. stir awhile, add some chicken powder, soy sauce, pepper and corn. hehe... i'd imagine it was a disaster. =x

oh yea, how do u prevent the oil from sputtering when u first add garlic, or minced meat?
Try no to do the bacon egg thingy, it's unhealthy on the long run.

The reason why I tell u to use overnite rice is due to the fact that just cooked rice, is wet and sticky. And if u wanna fry it, it's gonna lump up some. So overnite/frozen rice is best, as it's dry.

Skip the chicken power, it's just MSG. Not healthy.

As for oil splattering, do not use too high a heat. 3/4 will do for garlic. When u add mince meat or slice meat or steak cut, there will be mositure in the meat. When hot oil + moisture of anyforms, splattering will occure.

If u are afriad of it, hole the pan cover like a shield and use your free hand to put the garlic or meat in. But when u find that it does not splatter like crazy, u can just skip the cover thing.

Get used to it.

chef@work added 153 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by typeX
err.. lol! i think i can cook, but not very well. so far I've tried fried rice, chicken chop, creamy pasta, terriyaki chicken, congee and some stir fried veg n egg. All I feel can be much improved.. somehow the food doesn't give me a smile after.

I'm not really a fan of sweet/sour stuffs, prefer more salty and stronger taste. Not a fan of squid, and prefer asian style to western kinda foods. really miss sg foods, all the chicken rice, bachor mee, fried carrot cake/kuay teow.. but those sound scary and beyond me.

haha, was it helpful? can tell im nt really a food person also.. but i just feel unhappy whenever it comes to eating over here. =/

btw, the knife cutting link was v.interesting.. didn't know there was that way of cutting onions. i usually get everything messed up when cutting round objects into small pieces.
Most impt in cooking is to have passion for it. With that, u will come out tops anytime.

I think u can cook alrite, but your taste bud and senses are not really tuned in, like a 1200hp GTR. So I'll tweak u whatever I can. Do you not have friends who stay ard you who can cook well? Pity you are not in brissy, else I would show you how I drift in the kitchen.

You are probably in the class where either u over/under cook or over/under flavour and not sure of how to play with herbs and flavours. And also, how to use the right cooking methods.

I'm not good with SG style of dishes, but I do cook them from time to time. I'll intro u what kind of sauces I get for them. Methods of cooking is there, but do not expect hill st CKT or Redhill CTK standard.

As for knife skills, it's to get a good knife and practise it the right way. I'm sure you are using those crap knives from K mart or coles. Vulture or homebrand crap. Dump those. They are cheap and sucks @ cutting. I'm sure there must be some hospitality shops ard you place. Go and get a 60bucks Victorinox Chef knife and a Victorinox peeling knife. With these 2, you will find ease in cutting.

Do not be put of by that price. My most ex knife cost me 250++ and it's not the most ex ard yet. I'm planning on something better and more exp. I'll take photos of my knife collection to show you later.

With that web I've shown you, learn from it. I cannot show you how I blindfold myself while cutting veg.

Last edited by chef@work; 29th July 2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
chef@work is offline   Add to chef@work's Reputation
Old 29th July 2009, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

Ah.. thanks for the tips! I'll try this recipe this friday and maybe post a pic so maybe can judge if it's a pass or not from there.

i'm living by myself at the moment, just moved out of the city.. so another problem is that whatever ingredients are usually available in bigger quantities, so either it's wasted or i have to cook for the next day or so as well.

Yup, im using a cheap knife, lol. Thought cutting could just be done with anything that could cut, didn't know all these things before. I've seen those 'branded' knifes in standalone shops before, will check it out.

and so on to viscosity.
Old 30th July 2009, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My recipe is nothing much to scream for, it's the cooking method/procedure that's impt. U can post the pic lar, but most impt u taste liao, got improve or not. I can't tell much from pic. but U can try.

U no fridge to keep stuffs meh? If need, freez stuffs. Prolong their use. I can tell, you don't really plan your menu and just cook what u feel or more likely what you have left.

Even if you use a cheap knife, it's advisable to get a sharpening stone to sharpen it every 3 days or even everyday as the sharpness of a cheapo knife cannot maintain @ all.

I'm not sure if those stand alone shops are cheap or not, but I've goggle some shops for u. Check and compare prices before u commit. Is there a king of knife franchise down there, if yes, try yr luck there and claim that u are a chef by trade, got 10 or 20% off one. Just say you work in MAriott Brisbane and down for holidays.

http://www.hotelagencies.com.au/location
http://www.catererswarehouse.com.au/contact_us.asp
[URL="http://www.cedarhospitality.com/aboutus.php"]http://www.cedarhospitality.com/aboutus.php[/
URL]
This is a basic read for you.
http://www.casualchef.com.au/scripts....asp?idPage=16

Old 30th July 2009, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
vios21 is just really nicevios21 is just really nice

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Wah....can i request creme bulee recipe and tips from your experience?

vios21 is offline   Add to vios21's Reputation
Old 31st July 2009, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry for the delay.

Creme Brulee

Cream 600g
Yolks 108g
Sugar 100g
Vanilla beans 2cm strip. Else Vanilla Extract 1 tbs.
U have a blow torch @ home to do the caramalized effects? Else use oven.

Preheat your oven to 140 degrees, 130 degrees if fan forced. If you are going to pour the finalized mixture into ramakins or 1 big baking dish, make sure u oil it, with either an oil spray or melted butter.

1st stage -- Boil 1/2 your cream, sugar and vanilla. If using VB, spilt in length wise and scrap out the seeds. Use the husk and scrapped beans too.

Whisk yolks and remaining half of cream in a seperate bowl.

While whisking the above, pour the 1st stage boiled mixture into it slowly and whisking fast. Do NOT pour everything in @ once. U will cook the yolks, aka curdle them. If you cook this cooked mixture in oven, it will taste like crap 200%.

When u have whisk both mixture together, pour them into your prepared dish.

Place this dish into a larger tray and cover with water @ least half half up your dish with the mixture. U may use hot water, if u want, but the timing might need to go down. I'm used to using normal room temp water from tap. This is what we call a bain marie, cooking something in a water. My explanation might not be clear. Google it.

Cling wrap this larger tray and place in the over for 30mins to 40mins. When it's done, your bruless should have a "firm" skin on top and wobble some. Tap or shake it to test.

Take out from the oven and remove the dish from the tray with water. If you leave it in the hot water, the cooking process will carry on, thus over cooking will occur and spoil the taste and texture. Once it cools down, chill it.

If you do not have a blow torch, turn yr oven to max heat. Sprinkle sugar evenly over the set brulee and place in the oven for 2-3mins. Hopefully this will caramalized the sugar. Since u have chilli the firm bruless, the process will not cook it @ all, just caramalize it.

I'm not used to this oven thing, as I've been using either the blow torch and using a salamander in the kitchen.

chef@work added 66 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

Mexican pork cutlets with avocado salsa salad

Taco seasoning mix. 2 tsp
1/4 cup of olive oil, or 62.5ml of olive oil.
4 pcs of pork cutlets
3 small tomatos, seeded, chopped finely
1 small avocado, chopped finely
1 small cucumber, seeded, chopped finely.
1 tsp of lime juice.

Combine taco seasoning + 2 tsp of oil + pork and marinate.

Grill the cutlet over mid hi heat on a grill pan if you have.

Meanwhile, mix remaining oil with the veg salad and lime juice

Serve cutlet with slasa

Last edited by chef@work; 31st July 2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
chef@work is offline   Add to chef@work's Reputation
Old 31st July 2009, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
logging off

Hehe.. cooked the fried rice today. Is it me or does it not look like how fried rice is supposed to look like? I always get this kind of effect, don't know why. =/

Does it matter if it's cooked in a large pot (uncovered) or frying pan?

and so on to viscosity.
Old 31st July 2009, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hehe.. cooked the fried rice today. Is it me or does it not look like how fried rice is supposed to look like? I always get this kind of effect, don't know why. =/

Does it matter if it's cooked in a large pot (uncovered) or frying pan?
The colour and texture looks alrite to me. Nothing looks wrong, thou looks abit wet to me.

How's the taste? Did you find my cooking style easier to what you have done usually?

What kind of rice did u use? Long or short grain? Is it overnite forzen one?

Cook pot or frying pan over electrical heat is the same. But over open flames, pan and wok are better.

Old 31st July 2009, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
logging off

Originally Posted by chef@work View Post
The colour and texture looks alrite to me. Nothing looks wrong, thou looks abit wet to me.

How's the taste? Did you find my cooking style easier to what you have done usually?

What kind of rice did u use? Long or short grain? Is it overnite forzen one?

Cook pot or frying pan over electrical heat is the same. But over open flames, pan and wok are better.
issit, looks different from the chinese shop i used to dabao from.

Taste is more natural than what I did last time, though maybe abit overboard on the garlic and minced pork. style is more systematic, but realized i forgot to add water to it.

I used long grain rice, cooked last night and kept in the fridge. Don't know if it's the brand of rice or what, but the grains seem quite hard. Maybe nv add enough water when i cooked the rice. =/

mm, i've a stove with fire.. 4 stoves actually. or should fried rice be cooked over the powerful fire tt i saw in the chinese shop.

overall was ok, improvement over last time thou still far from it. looking forward to the next dish... Feel like having something spicy, something with belachan or sambal. =D

and so on to viscosity.
Old 31st July 2009, 09:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

issit, looks different from the chinese shop i used to dabao from.

Taste is more natural than what I did last time, though maybe abit overboard on the garlic and minced pork. style is more systematic, but realized i forgot to add water to it.

I used long grain rice, cooked last night and kept in the fridge. Don't know if it's the brand of rice or what, but the grains seem quite hard. Maybe nv add enough water when i cooked the rice. =/

mm, i've a stove with fire.. 4 stoves actually. or should fried rice be cooked over the powerful fire tt i saw in the chinese shop.

overall was ok, improvement over last time thou still far from it. looking forward to the next dish... Feel like having something spicy, something with belachan or sambal. =D
No need compare to chi shop. Their fire and wok better. Effects @ the end confirm is best. I used to be a fired rice cook in 1.

Follow yr rice cooker instruction and use the measuring cup they provide. How many cup of rice u put in, follow the water level marked.

Use Pandaroo jasmine rice, if got $$$, buy the thai dancer brand, blue colour one.

Well, you have a fire stove, make the best our of it. Real fire gives you alot of flavour. So next time I advise you on cooking, I'll apply heat strength based on fire liao... Easy for me too.

If you are slow in stirring the rice, apply 3/4 flame. For me, it's full on.

Spicy stuffs I can tell u. but belachan or sambal stuffs me not so pro liao, cos me not a very sg style cook. I'm more west and asians.

How abt curry? U want? let me know what kind of curry spices u have. Easy for me to give u recipes.

Old 2nd August 2009, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kimchi Hotpot

Kimchi veg.
Korean chilli paste
Salt and sugar
Tofu
Pork, beef, lamb slices.

Boil abt 1.2L of water.
Add 2tsp of chilli paste.
Add tofu + kimchi veg.
Add meat slice.
Add salt + sugar according to yr taste.

Serve with rice.

Hope this is hot/spicy for you in this cold winter.

Old 3rd August 2009, 06:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
logging off

Thanks chef!.. mm, i'll be going to the city soon, can stop by their asian grocery shops.

do u have any receipes for mapo dofu?

or other simple stir fry dishes...

and so on to viscosity.
Old 3rd August 2009, 07:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

do u have any receipes for mapo dofu?

or other simple stir fry dishes...
Marbo Tofu

U are spot on, marbo tofu is my best PRC dish. Let's touch on Marbo Tofu. I'm not gonna show u the original way as u have to get alot of stuffs. I'll show u the easy way, where Sichuan ppl told me it's quite similiar.

There's this brand of marbo tofu paste called "hundred family aka bai jia" in Chinese. Its a small red white packaging. Look for that. Should be ard 1 dollar a bag and it's from Sichuan. Sichuan ppl told me it's good.

Get 2 tub of the koala brand Silken soft tofu. and buy abt 500g of mince pork. If you like it to taste really spicy and original, get dry chilli and sichuan peppercorn called "hua jiao", not Ang moh peppercorn.

10 stips of dry chilli, cut into smaller pieces.
1 tsp of Sichuan pepper.
1 glove of garlic. mince
1 thumb size ginger, appox 2cm, by 1 by 1. mince
2 packet of marpo tofu paste.
2 tubs of tofu cut into 2 by 2 by 2 cube size.
500gm mince pork

Rinse tofu and cut it. If you wan to make the tofu firmer, cook in boiling water with some salt. This process will "firm" the tofu which prevents it from breaking up too much.

Heat 3 tsp of oil 3/4 heat. then add garlic, ginger, dry chilli and peppercorn. Cook till fragrant over mid heat.

Toss in marbo tofu paste and stir fry it over 3/4 heat. It would be very smokey and chokey once the paste is in. 2-3 mins would be nice.

Add mince meat and cook till pork is cooked thru. Then add 250ml of water and once boil, add tofu. Water wise, u can see the instructions behind the packaging. I go according to feel.

Do not stir, only shake the pot/pan to "stir" it. If u wanna stir, go easy on it.

Cover and simmer for 20mins covered and 5mins uncovered. Add salt + sugar to taste.

TO make the sauce abit sticky, take 2 tsp of corn flour, mix with abit of cold water to form a paste. Then pour into the MBTF. Stir gently.

U can garnish with spring onions if u like. Serve with rice.

As marbo tofu is an oily dish, u can keep this in fridge longer than other stuffs. It's like a stew, keep over a few days and it's even better.

Old 3rd August 2009, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
logging off

Ah... thank you! =D

and so on to viscosity.
Old 5th August 2009, 02:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cold tofu with red chilli and spring onions

1 tub Silken tofu.
10cm spring onion, slice
1 red chilli, finely sliced
A handful corriander(optional)
2 tsp lite soya suace
1 tsp dark soya sauce
50ml of oil

Cut tofu in 2x2x2 cubes and place on plate.
Scatter the chilli, corriander and spring onions on top
Pour the 2 soya suaces over the greens.

Heat wok, + oil and heat till it smokes.
Pour over the tofu.

X, if you like Kung Pow Chicken, remember the hundred family aka Bai Jia Brand? Buy their Kung Pow chicken paste and cook according to their instructions.

If you like it spicy, add dry chill, after you heated the wok with oil in the 1st stage. Let the fragrance come out over mid heat. Then add the paste, chicken, greens.

Old 10th August 2009, 05:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Salt & Pepper steak

U can apply to beef or pork chops.

Black pepper
Salt
Oil 2 tbs
1 small knob of butter.

Rub the meat of oil, then salt and pepper it.

Marinate over 2 days then grill it.

High heat, + the butter.

On high heat, sear the meat, meaning when the butter is tossed onto the pan, starts melting. Quickly place the meat on 1 side, 5 sec, change side. Then no more liao.

Searing helps to seal the flavour within.

Mid rare, 3 min then flip another 3min.

Mid 4min then 3 mins.

Mid well 4, then 4.

The cooking timing varies on your pan too.

Lamp chops

Get grounded cumin powder.

15mins before cooking lamp, rub it with 2 tsp of oil, then sprinkle cumin power over it.

Grill as the same process as steak. As it's red meat, it can be eaten mid rare/well. prefer it cooked to abt 90%, so abt 5, then 4mins.

Lettuce Salad

Buy normal lettuce, cut then finely. Serve as a salad.

U can add hard boiled eggs, ham, prawns, crotons, to it if you prefer. You can toss in any salad sauce you prefer.

I'll touch on making salad sauce later.

Old 10th August 2009, 05:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
logging off

Thanks... for steak, do i need a grill pan? I only have a normal frying pan.

Ohh yeah, i tried cooking beef rendang the other day cuz i found the sauce. I used the sliced beef strips, and they turned out to be very hard.

How do u make them soft soft like tofu?

btw, the tofu sounds like the jap cold tofu.. will def try if i can find silken tofu~

and so on to viscosity.

Last edited by typeX; 10th August 2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10th August 2009, 05:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No need grill pan,normal can lar. the X effect is for show niar... I have both, and they both taste the same to be. Only cooking over open grill + flame then got diff.

Oh yar 1 more impt thing. If the taflon of your frying pan is coming apart, stop using it. Get a new one. The brand tefal is good and still cheaper than those hundreds of dollars brand.

Don't buy those think strips, they are meant for stir frying. Meaning, quick over the fire kind. Not meant for long time simmering. You used the wrong type of cuts, thou those slices are from the rump part.

The link below, is quite alrite. Go read is up slowly. It's same as car, from engine to exhaust.

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/c...tcutsbeef.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef
http://hubpages.com/hub/Cuts_of_stea..._steak_is_best

Your rendang sauce, is it from Asian Home Gourmet, the brown colour packaging? Well, use rump steak or brisket beef, cut them into big pieces, e.g 3x3x3 As you slow cook the rendang, remember to use more oil as rendang is dry curry, more oil prevents burning, appox 3-5 tsp more. And you have to keep stirring it. min, every 3mins. Else, it burnts.

IF you want potatos and carrots in, cut them into appox 2cm cube, Place them in the pot/pan e.g 20mins before swithcing off the flame. Rendang is acheved over small flame...

Old 10th August 2009, 07:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
logging off

Originally Posted by chef@work View Post
No need grill pan,normal can lar. the X effect is for show niar... I have both, and they both taste the same to be. Only cooking over open grill + flame then got diff.

Oh yar 1 more impt thing. If the taflon of your frying pan is coming apart, stop using it. Get a new one. The brand tefal is good and still cheaper than those hundreds of dollars brand.

Don't buy those think strips, they are meant for stir frying. Meaning, quick over the fire kind. Not meant for long time simmering. You used the wrong type of cuts, thou those slices are from the rump part.

The link below, is quite alrite. Go read is up slowly. It's same as car, from engine to exhaust.

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/c...tcutsbeef.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef
http://hubpages.com/hub/Cuts_of_stea..._steak_is_best

Your rendang sauce, is it from Asian Home Gourmet, the brown colour packaging? Well, use rump steak or brisket beef, cut them into big pieces, e.g 3x3x3 As you slow cook the rendang, remember to use more oil as rendang is dry curry, more oil prevents burning, appox 3-5 tsp more. And you have to keep stirring it. min, every 3mins. Else, it burnts.

IF you want potatos and carrots in, cut them into appox 2cm cube, Place them in the pot/pan e.g 20mins before swithcing off the flame. Rendang is acheved over small flame...
Ah.. thx thanx. I think so.. seem to recall an Asian word inside, nv really take notice of brands for these. The beef variety inside woolworths isn't alot right? i remember seeing rump steak before.

thought i had to add some meat tenderizer powder thingy or something. I saw some ppl coating the beef in flour? =/

okies~ feel like cooking it again soon. =D

and so on to viscosity.
Closed Thread