Relaunch of SGC Portal - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > SGClub Hall > SGClub Announcements » Relaunch of SGC Portal

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts
Relaunch of SGC Portal

After much work, we have made some changes based on some of your feedback namely to add a more varied range of articles and topics to our SGC Portal.

www.sgclub.com

We've also made some design changes and hope that this is better now. Do check it our and let us know how you feel!

ps there will be small areas that are being worked on, and bugs, do let us know when you encounter any bugs or display problems. Tks!

Sponsors:

Last edited by maverick; 2nd March 2010 at 12:23 PM.
Add to maverick's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
allycat is a jewel in the roughallycat is a jewel in the rough

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Relaunch of SGC Portal

Plenty of bugs. The images are not showing. Gallery cannot work. And also Qi Yuwu's photos are showing lol.

Quite nice design, except those foreign ads. If u want to place ads, at least let them be local. This is Singapore Club, SGC, not American Club. So why is there the Date Wealthy Women ads?

Last edited by allycat; 2nd March 2010 at 12:26 PM.
allycat is offline   Add to allycat's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Stuoid_Panda is a jewel in the roughStuoid_Panda is a jewel in the rough

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

it look better but some pics r squeeze..
it kinda a bit slow in loading

CitrusChest/deviantArt\"My head hurts, i think i nvr use it much" Patrick Starfish
Stuoid_Panda is offline   Add to Stuoid_Panda's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
catmint is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This should explain why I can't come into SGC all morning, and now its lagging very badly.

Old 2nd March 2010, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So who wrote all those articles? There is no author's name or date or any source. And I think this style of article placing is old fashioned and so 1990s. Nowadays everything is in blog format. E! Online used to have such article format, until they changed it to blog format, which is pretty much the modern style.

And one more thing. Pardon my nagging lo sor-ness, but the articles are not specifically tailored to Singaporeans. They're very generic and we can easily find tons of these articles on American websites. So why should we log onto the portal to find something which is pretty much everywhere? I suggest getting some local article writers and create articles specially for the Singaporean audience. This is SGC, not AGC! lol.

Old 2nd March 2010, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allycat View Post
Plenty of bugs. The images are not showing. Gallery cannot work. And also Qi Yuwu's photos are showing lol.

Quite nice design, except those foreign ads. If u want to place ads, at least let them be local. This is Singapore Club, SGC, not American Club. So why is there the Date Wealthy Women ads?
tks, we are working on the images issues.

Originally Posted by catmint View Post
This should explain why I can't come into SGC all morning, and now its lagging very badly.
we are looking into the lag issue too. not sure yet if its due to the portal or our server.

So who wrote all those articles? There is no author's name or date or any source. And I think this style of article placing is old fashioned and so 1990s. Nowadays everything is in blog format. E! Online used to have such article format, until they changed it to blog format, which is pretty much the modern style.

And one more thing. Pardon my nagging lo sor-ness, but the articles are not specifically tailored to Singaporeans. They're very generic and we can easily find tons of these articles on American websites. So why should we log onto the portal to find something which is pretty much everywhere? I suggest getting some local article writers and create articles specially for the Singaporean audience. This is SGC, not AGC! lol.
what do u mean by blog format? any examples to share?

agreed on the focus on the subjects. it takes time to build up the range of articles esp if we are talking specifically related in Singaporean context. perhaps you can suggest some good titles or topics? we are looking to add more articles on news commentaries, local events and places, etc.

Old 2nd March 2010, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
what do u mean by blog format? any examples to share?
http://allwomenstalk.com/

This is blog format. Author's name is there, date is the date the entry is posted. Very modern, easy to access feel. The "new" SGC portal looks very dated. Nobody really uses that format anymore. Another example of blog format is http://www.engadget.com/

Old 2nd March 2010, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

http://allwomenstalk.com/

This is blog format. Author's name is there, date is the date the entry is posted. Very modern, easy to access feel. The "new" SGC portal looks very dated. Nobody really uses that format anymore. Another example of blog format is http://www.engadget.com/
ok, so when u say blog format, u mean the sequential listing of articles. well, its not entirely true that no one uses this portal format anymore. we've done lots of research and studies before coming up with this design as we felt it is more suitable. also if u look at it in another way, the 'latest articles' section is sort of like a 'smaller version' of a blog format except with several other modules on the page.

but your feedback is noted. we can perhaps relook at this when it is time for a redesign

Old 2nd March 2010, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Jodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to behold

Liked 54 Times in 24 Posts

SGClub is a forum and should pride itself for it. The direction it is heading is deviating from the original purpose. I maintain my stand of "if people want such articles, they can search for it themselves or visit already-existing website".

We can be sister sites advertising one another but SGClub (the forum) should not be an offshoot of another content-loaded website. There are little links and relationships between the two.

Good layout. Perhaps you can consider upgrading the forum (where the traffic, community and money are) and making it even more usable and cool.

Old 2nd March 2010, 03:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jodar View Post
SGClub is a forum and should pride itself for it. The direction it is heading is deviating from the original purpose. I maintain my stand of "if people want such articles, they can search for it themselves or visit already-existing website".
Exactly! Thats what I've been trying to say. The articles are pointless and not unique. If we want tips on how to study better, there are a zillion of those everywhere on the net!

Old 2nd March 2010, 03:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Jodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to beholdJodar is a splendid one to behold

Exactly! Thats what I've been trying to say. The articles are pointless and not unique. If we want tips on how to study better, there are a zillion of those everywhere on the net!
And it's making the entire system lag.

Old 2nd March 2010, 03:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
hazeynut has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We can be sister sites advertising one another but SGClub (the forum) should not be an offshoot of another content-loaded website. There are little links and relationships between the two.

Good layout. Perhaps you can consider upgrading the forum (where the traffic, community and money are) and making it even more usable and cool.
this is my sentiments as well..

でも繋がってたいんだよ
あなたがまだ好きだから
hazeynut is offline   Add to hazeynut's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator

yes, we hear your comments abt the objectives of this portal. however, there is more that this portal can achieve and develop. Hope you guys can give it some time.

apart from the idea of this portal, we wld like to hear suggestions on improvements and what is good abt it too.

lag issue is also being investigated, just be a little patient during this transition period ya?

Old 2nd March 2010, 05:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
vivianllm will become famous soon enough

Have to type http://forums.sgclub.com instead of just sgclub.com next time

vivianllm is offline   Add to vivianllm's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 05:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
yes, we hear your comments abt the objectives of this portal. however, there is more that this portal can achieve and develop. Hope you guys can give it some time.

apart from the idea of this portal, we wld like to hear suggestions on improvements and what is good abt it too.

lag issue is also being investigated, just be a little patient during this transition period ya?
Yes, I do know that the portal has more to achieve and develop. But whatever it can do and whatever it can achieve have no relation to SGClub forum. In fact, there is little integration between the two systems. Users here can't post there via their already-existing user accounts. (I'm sure you can think of more)

Improve the forum instead of expanding to other areas. I think it can add more value to a user's experience much more than what a portal can do.

Old 2nd March 2010, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Yes, I do know that the portal has more to achieve and develop. But whatever it can do and whatever it can achieve have no relation to SGClub forum. In fact, there is little integration between the two systems. Users here can't post there via their already-existing user accounts. (I'm sure you can think of more)

Improve the forum instead of expanding to other areas. I think it can add more value to a user's experience much more than what a portal can do.
certainly we will continue improving the forums too. if we get good ideas or suggestions, we will be sure to implement them. having this portal does not reduce or take-away our enthusiasm in improving the forums in any way

Old 2nd March 2010, 05:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts

may i ask...this portal and forum, all on the same server ?

christmas_ is offline   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Its probably on the same shared server. Given the daily traffic, I doubt the shared server can handle the load. A dedicated server would make a more logical choice, but its very expensive.

And if really die die also must have a portal, I rather Mav set up a team of writers and post Singapore-based articles in blog format. I'm not vehemently against the portal, its just that its abit outdated and pointless.

Old 2nd March 2010, 05:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Pinkgrapes2007 will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

orhh....no wonder I whole afternoon cannot log into sgc...

Old 2nd March 2010, 08:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
mxl
New SGClubber
mxl is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually its not shared hosting, it is dedicated, unless they applied for a dedicated ip.

Rep me (: You know you want to (:
Cheers~!

Last edited by mxl; 2nd March 2010 at 09:02 PM.
mxl is offline   Add to mxl's Reputation Reply With Quote