Síporeís SEA Games swimmers top earners in SNOC MAP - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Sports Forum » Síporeís SEA Games swimmers top earners in SNOC MAP

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
Síporeís SEA Games swimmers top earners in SNOC MAP

Síporeís SEA Games swimmers top earners in SNOC MAP
By danteo | Fit to Post Sports

Tao Li received her award from Teo Chee Hean, Deputy Prime Minister and Mr Chan Chun Sing, Acting Minister for Ö

Swimmers Tao Li and Amanda Lim emerged as top earners at the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) Multi-Million Dollar Awards presentation held at Raffles Town Club on Wednesday evening.

The SNOC Multi-Million Dollar Awards Programme (MAP) provides a cash payout to athletes who win gold medals at the Olympic, Asian, Commonwealth and Southeast Asian (SEA) Games.

A total of S$525,000 was handed out to 78 athletes, with S$335,000 going to 50 water sports athletes from canoeing, sailing, swimming, waterpolo and water ski.

Li, who was the most bemedalled athlete in swimming at the SEA Games last November with seven gold medals (four individual and three relay), took home S$41,250 for her outstanding performance in Palembang, Indonesia while Lim was the second highest earner with S$26,250.

Asked how she felt about the monetary reward, Lim said it was a bonus but added that her main motivation remains to do Singapore proud.

"I am very honoured and with the award it made me feel that all my hardwork has paid off," the 18-year-old said. "Money is not my main motivation. I'm doing swimming for the passion and I love it," she added.

"I train four hours every day and I think a normal person will not choose to go through that if he or she doesn't have a passion for it. I just want to do Singapore proud. And if money comes with it I see it as a bonus and nothing else."

Handing out the rewards was Deputy Prime Minister and President of the SNOC, Teo Chee Hean.

Congratulating the athletes, he said: "Thank you for giving your very best and for giving us so many reasons to cheer during the Games. Through your shining example, you continue to be a source of inspiration for others to embrace and excel in sport.

"You have shown us what it means to be a Team Singapore athlete, displaying true grit, perseverance and commitment to your sport and most importantly, the Singapore Spirit."

Singapore paddlers received a total of S$65,000 for their five gold medals while the waterpolo players walked away with S$60,000 for their gold medals in both the men's and women's team events.

While the monetary rewards are the athletes' to keep, some have decided to give up their winnings.

A radiant Tan Yoke Lan (Yahoo! photo)

Contract bridge player Tan Yoke Lan, who won Singapore's first SEA Games gold in the women's open pairs event, is giving her reward to the Singapore Contract Bridge Association (SCBA).

"I want to donate my money to SCBA so that they can use it to help promote contract bridge among younger Singaporeans. I do hope that there will be more medals to come from the sport," the 63-year-old, who was diagnosed with breast cancer two months before the Games, revealed.

SEA Games debutant Arren Quek, who clinched Singapore's first goal for the men's 50m freestyle event in 18 years, is dedicating his win to his parents by giving them his SNOC MAP reward.

The 17-year-old said, "My parents have been very encouraging and have supported me from the start. They made many sacrifices and have given a lot of their time to ferry me to and from training and attend my meets."

"This is just my way of saying thank you for all that they have done for me," he added.

Bigger rewards await Team Singapore athletes at the London Olympics Games in June, with the highest award being S$1million payable to athletes who achieve a gold medal at the Games.

DPM Teo is upbeat over Team Singapore's chances of bettering their solitary silver medal won by the women's table tennis team at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

"I am confident that our Team Singapore athletes are training hard and the National Sports Associations are preparing well for the [Olympic] Games," he said.

"Singaporeans are very excited and hopeful that they will continue to make us proud."

Meanwhile, 22-year-old Lim Heem Wei, the first Singaporean gymnast to qualify for the London Olympic Games, is looking forward to pit herself against the world's best and to make her country proud.

The first-year National University of Singapore business administration student said: "I'm very honoured and privileged to be representing Singapore at the Olympics. I feel great because all the years of hard work have paid off. This is not just for me but for my coaches and people who have been supporting me as well.

"I will definitely be focusing on beating my personal best. I can't control what other gymnasts are able to do. It's really about improving my scores, skills and consistency," she added.

413 Team Singapore athletes competed in the 26th SEA Games and brought back 160 medals (42 gold, 45 silver, 73 bronze), securing fifth position on the medal table.

SNOC MAP top five athletes for 2011:
Tao Li - $41,250
Amanda Lim Xiang Qi - $26,250
Joseph Isaac Schooling - $20,000
Feng Tianwei - $17,500
Danny Yeo Kai Quan - $17,500

Top three sports for 2011:
Swimming - $190,000
Table Tennis - $65,000
Sailing - $50,000

Source: http://sg.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fit...101718848.html

Sponsors:
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote