Salaries for polytechnic graduates rise after remaining flat for 2 years - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Workplace and Business Forum » Salaries for polytechnic graduates rise after remaining flat for 2 years

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2016, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
evodarren will become famous soon enough

Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Salaries for polytechnic graduates rise after remaining flat for 2 years

SINGAPORE - The salaries of polytechnic graduates have moved up after remaining flat for two years.

A graduate employment survey, conducted by the five polytechnics on the class of 2015, showed that those in full-time employment earned a gross monthly salary of about $2,100.

In the previous two years, the salary remained at $2,000.

The gross monthly salary of post-national service graduates in full-time jobs also went up by $100, moving to $2,500.

GRAPHIC: JOINT POLYTECHNIC GRADUATE EMPLOYMENT SURVEY 2015
The results released on Friday (Jan 8) showed that the overall employment rate for the class of 2015 remained high. It was a 88.9 per cent for fresh graduates, and 91.5 per cent for post-national service graduates.

But the proportion of those with full-time permanent jobs, though, fell from 59.4 per cent for the class of 2014 to 57.9 per cent for those graduating last year.

On the other hand, the proportion of graduates who take up part-time or temporary employment increased to 31 per cent compared to 29.8 per cent the year before.

The polytechnics said most of the graduates taking on part-time or temporary work said they were doing so because they were pursuing or preparing to commence further studies .

With the expansion of university places last year, among polytechnic graduates, 20 per cent of them won a place in a publicly-funded university this year.

A few years ago, the figure stood at about 15 per cent.

Most of the new varsity places were created by the expansion of SIM University and the Singapore Institute of Technology which were created to offer degree pathways for polytechnic graduates.

The survey also compared the pay levels of graduates across different courses. It found that fresh graduates taking courses such as built environment, engineering and maritime, and health sciences were the best-paid.

Fresh graduates from the health sciences courses, which include physio- and occupational therapy, earned median monthly salaries of $2,350

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...at-for-2-years

Sponsors:
Add to evodarren's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts
Re: Salaries for polytechnic graduates rise after remaining flat for 2 years

means i am very underpaid

christmas_ is offline   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lemon Breeland
poop is just really nicepoop is just really nice

Liked 176 Times in 142 Posts
Re: Poly grads' starting pay rises after flat two years

That pay is just enough to survive. Don't be thinking of kids or a car. It ain't gonna happen, not in Singapore at least.

poop is offline   Add to poop's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by poop View Post
That pay is just enough to survive. Don't be thinking of kids or a car. It ain't gonna happen, not in Singapore at least.
have to be realistic...

Old 11th January 2016, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
sweet86 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 42 Times in 32 Posts

From what i heard from my boss last time and what i heard from my friends who are aso boss/director themselves. There is really no such thing as market rate for salary. Its up to the company de, coz "You dont wan, there r still other willing to do". Like someone who just got a degree, then come asking for 3k and tell the boss its the market rate. Most likely, the boss would reject. Coz cert itself is nothing. Experience is more important. Like someone who just got a degree in HR, apply for a HR assistant job to gain experience, then ask for 3k coz he got the cert. My ex boss would tell him to look at the mirror. Actually, i would say its really "Heng Suay". The boss like u, he can give u a pay higher than ur expectation, increase ur pay just to make u stay. Boss dont like u, u work till die he also wont increase ur pay.

sweet86 is offline   Add to sweet86's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
JetGrey is just really niceJetGrey is just really niceJetGrey is just really nice

Liked 181 Times in 129 Posts

I know of a lot of couples who earn less than $5k combined, but still living comfortably. Definitely no car, but that's not a necessity. Their kids still get toys and they still go for overseas holidays. It's just a matter of how you manage your finances.

JetGrey is offline   Add to JetGrey's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Originally Posted by JetGrey View Post
I know of a lot of couples who earn less than $5k combined, but still living comfortably. Definitely no car, but that's not a necessity. Their kids still get toys and they still go for overseas holidays. It's just a matter of how you manage your finances.

Quite ok as coUple..guess they share weal and woes together

evodarren is offline   Add to evodarren's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Originally Posted by sweet86 View Post
From what i heard from my boss last time and what i heard from my friends who are aso boss/director themselves. There is really no such thing as market rate for salary. Its up to the company de, coz "You dont wan, there r still other willing to do". Like someone who just got a degree, then come asking for 3k and tell the boss its the market rate. Most likely, the boss would reject. Coz cert itself is nothing. Experience is more important. Like someone who just got a degree in HR, apply for a HR assistant job to gain experience, then ask for 3k coz he got the cert. My ex boss would tell him to look at the mirror. Actually, i would say its really "Heng Suay". The boss like u, he can give u a pay higher than ur expectation, increase ur pay just to make u stay. Boss dont like u, u work till die he also wont increase ur pay.
correct...its up to the company...

maybe thats why ppl hop easily

Old 18th January 2016, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Originally Posted by christmas_ View Post
correct...its up to the company...

maybe thats why ppl hop easily
guess the reason why many people hop is also because they know that they can learn most of the things when they are young.

evodarren is offline   Add to evodarren's Reputation Reply With Quote